IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 6th April 2021, 11:47 PM   #281
Mumbles
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
More like he realized what he was saying after he said it and tried to mitigate the damage.
That's more of a Dolt 45 mistake. Moscow Mitch knows exactly what he said - he's threatening to retaliate unless companies go back to the usual relationship, where they pay money, let the GOP take over, and get their profits and prewritten laws approved. Publicly denouncing a needed law like voter suppression is breaking the code - failing to uphold the *actual* "Outrage Industrial complex."

it's always projection.

But what there isn't, here, is a mistake or any confusion, it's just Mitch at his worst - no need for deception, as he's likely to retire anyway, and would be voted back in if he were younger and chose to stay. No need to consider the common good, ha's shown no interest in that since becoming a senate leader, and his big punishment was a disastrous president in the white house who nonetheless gave him what he wanted. And he's no master legislator - he's filibustered a bill he himself introduced in the past, and can barely pass a yearly budget. He's really not even machiavellian, as he's not much of a schemer. He just straight up wrecks democracy to help himself and his pals, and does it openly.

Remember that this is the same guy who showed up at a meeting with coal miners from his own state whose pensions were raided, told them to go pound sand to their faces, and then left in under a minute.

Last edited by Mumbles; 7th April 2021 at 12:05 AM.
Mumbles is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th April 2021, 02:51 PM   #282
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
If "Basic human decency and minimal standards" is political then sure....

But again "apolitical" is just one of those things... I don't know how it is supposed to work in a post-facts world.
Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
Giving free water to people who are already there to vote doesn't seem to really encourage them to vote, unless water represents Democrats.
You guys are dancing around the truth: caring about your fellow citizens is a political position, it is very much a Democratic thing.

Almost all of current GOP policy is based on the "rugged individual" mythos of America. The Dems are the only party that cares if you pulled too hard and broke your bootstraps.

If I had a pet panda I would name it Snowflake.
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th April 2021, 03:19 PM   #283
RecoveringYuppy
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Mumbles View Post
Remember that this is the same guy who showed up at a meeting with coal miners from his own state whose pensions were raided, told them to go pound sand to their faces, and then left in under a minute.
Not that I want to defend the guy but didn't he turn around on that issue?
RecoveringYuppy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th April 2021, 05:32 PM   #284
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
McConnell calls the actions of MLB, Coke, andDelta in opposition of Georgia voting law ‘stupid.’
He says "My warning to corporate America is to stay out of politics,"

He added "I’m not talking about political contributions"

In other words "I am against all of these things, except for the things that benefit me."

Classic dirtbag.
I think that if I was a CEO of a major company with Georgia connections I might be making an announcement that since McConnell wants us to keep out of Politics other than contributions that we'd decided that all our contributions for 2022 would be going to Democrats.

It must be fun to lead a life completely unburdened by reality. -- JayUtah
I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question. -- Charles Babbage (1791-1871)

PhantomWolf is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th April 2021, 07:53 AM   #285
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by PhantomWolf View Post
I think that if I was a CEO of a major company with Georgia connections I might be making an announcement that since McConnell wants us to keep out of Politics other than contributions that we'd decided that all our contributions for 2022 would be going to Democrats.
If I was the CEO of Delta, I'd show up to a really long line at an Atlanta polling station with a box of pizza and a news crew and start handing it out. It would be a great way to tell Kemp to bite me.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th April 2021, 01:46 PM   #286
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
If I was the CEO of Delta, I'd show up to a really long line at an Atlanta polling station with a box of pizza and a news crew and start handing it out. It would be a great way to tell Kemp to bite me.
I was thinking of Coke trucks lining up at polling places so that the CEO and other corporate leaders can hand out refreshments to anyone waiting in line.

The GOP may want to consider how they are creating these photo-ops.

Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th April 2021, 01:51 PM   #287
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Dr. Keith View Post
I was thinking of Coke trucks lining up at polling places so that the CEO and other corporate leaders can hand out refreshments to anyone waiting in line.

The GOP does not care about it's image to anybody but it's base

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th April 2021, 04:48 PM   #288
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

The Coke trucks could probably accomplish this not only conspicuously but legally, if they set up the refreshments as self-service. Put up a sign that says "pick up your free Coke here" would appear to be legal as long as nobody is seen to be providing it. Or something like that. I am betting that if they wanted they could hire some of their undoubtedly huge team of hotshot lawyers to set up an occasion that would combine spitting in the face of the authorities with a dare they'd be fools to accept.

Quand il dit "cuic" le moineau croit tout dire. (When he's tweeted the sparrow thinks he's said it all. (Jules Renard)
bruto is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th April 2021, 11:53 PM   #289
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Maybe if the GOP thinks all this voter cheating went on, why don't they try to cheat themselves?

Call their bluff.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th April 2021, 09:47 AM   #290
sphenisc
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
Maybe if the GOP thinks all this voter cheating went on, why don't they try to cheat themselves?
Too much integrity.
Old 12th April 2021, 09:53 AM   #291
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by sphenisc View Post
Too much integrity.
I almost choked reading that.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th April 2021, 10:16 AM   #292
sphenisc
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
I almost choked reading that.
Old 12th April 2021, 11:54 AM   #293
Paul2
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Mumbles View Post
It's worth pointing out that GOP voters, and particularly Fox News watchers, are badly informed - it's common for them to insist that there's more racial discrimination in the US against white people than against black people, for example. . . .
I didn't catch that in the article. One graph said 45.4% of Repubs thought blacks experience a lot of discrimination, but 25.3% of Repubs thought whites did. Now, that 25.3% number is absurd, but those Repubs still think blacks experience more discrimination than whites.

Aristotle, so far as I know, was the first man to proclaim explicitly that man is a rational animal. His reason for this view was one which does not now seem very impressive: it was, that some people can do sums. - Bertrand Russell
Paul2 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th April 2021, 12:38 PM   #294
Paul2
Philosopher

Originally Posted by bruto View Post
The Coke trucks could probably accomplish this not only conspicuously but legally, if they set up the refreshments as self-service. Put up a sign that says "pick up your free Coke here" would appear to be legal as long as nobody is seen to be providing it. Or something like that. I am betting that if they wanted they could hire some of their undoubtedly huge team of hotshot lawyers to set up an occasion that would combine spitting in the face of the authorities with a dare they'd be fools to accept.
The Georgia law does provide for self-service like that, but it's specified that it is *water* that can be provided via self-service.

But Coke surely produces bottled water, don't they, so they could do that and still push the brand name.

Aristotle, so far as I know, was the first man to proclaim explicitly that man is a rational animal. His reason for this view was one which does not now seem very impressive: it was, that some people can do sums. - Bertrand Russell
Paul2 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th April 2021, 12:46 PM   #295
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Originally Posted by bruto View Post
That accomplishes the refreshment, but not the photo op. Have the CEO and upper management out there handing out the refreshment (not staff) so that the cops have to arrest the higher ups and they can get the photos taken of the coke CFO being put in the back of a police car for handing out Dasani Bottled Water to people waiting in GOP created voting lines.

Old 12th April 2021, 02:42 PM   #296
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

That accomplishes the refreshment, but not the photo op. Have the CEO and upper management out there handing out the refreshment (not staff) so that the cops have to arrest the higher ups and they can get the photos taken of the coke CFO being put in the back of a police car for handing out Dasani Bottled Water to people waiting in GOP created voting lines.
That is a fine idea as long as the cops don't find a way to make the transaction itself illegal and take the voters out too. Remember that if the object is to **** up an election, they don't have to win the case. Hold the victims until the polls close, and drop the charges.

Quand il dit "cuic" le moineau croit tout dire. (When he's tweeted the sparrow thinks he's said it all. (Jules Renard)
bruto is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th April 2021, 02:48 PM   #297
DevilsAdvocate
Philosopher

Have Coke handed out by the Georgia Bulldogs football team. Are the cops going to arrest the whole Bulldogs team for handing out Coca-Cola in Atlanta when they are well on their way to the Peach Bowl?
Old 12th April 2021, 03:03 PM   #298
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

The no water rule is just screaming for acts of civil disobdience.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th April 2021, 03:06 PM   #299
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Now Marvel Studios talking about moving production out of Georgia.OUch.That would hurt since Marvel Studios has been one of Georgis's big sucess stories in recent years.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 12th April 2021, 03:18 PM   #300
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
The no water rule is just screaming for acts of civil disobdience.
I quite agree, as long as there's a way to keep the police from going into a savage rage and murdering people, or arresting whole lines of voters on bogus charges.

The civil disobedience would have to be big enough to make a stolen election so obviously invalid that it would have to be done again. I have no faith in the authorities in Georgia meeting civil disobedience with civil behavior.

Old 12th April 2021, 03:33 PM   #301
Dr.Sid
Illuminator

Don't really see an issue. Seems logical. You can still provide self-server water station. You can still sell water. You just can't give it for free. Why would you even do it ?
Dr.Sid is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th April 2021, 03:54 PM   #302
Paul2
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Dr.Sid View Post
Don't really see an issue. Seems logical. You can still provide self-server water station. You can still sell water. You just can't give it for free. Why would you even do it ?
The Georgia law says that it is a "poll officer" who is allowed to set up a self-service water station.

Selling water would seem to be OK, but I'm sure a court would weigh in one way or the other.

1872 "(a) No person shall solicit votes in any manner or by any means or method, nor shall any
1873 person distribute or display any campaign material,nor shallany person give, offer to give,
1874 or participate in the giving of any money or gifts, including, but not limited to, food and
1875 drink, to an elector, nor shall any person solicit signatures for any petition, nor shall any
1876 person, other than election officials discharging their duties, establish or set up any tables
1877 or booths on any day in which ballots are being cast:
1878 (1) Within 150 feet of the outer edge of any building within which a polling place is
1879 established;
1880 (2) Within any polling place; or
(3) Within 25 feet of any voter standing in line to vote at any polling place.
1882 These restrictions shall not apply to conduct occurring in private offices or areas which
1883 cannot be seen or heard by such electors."
1884 "(e) This Code section shall not be construed to prohibit a poll officer from distributing
1885 materials, as required by law, which are necessary for the purpose of instructing electors
1886 or from distributing materials prepared by the Secretary of State which are designed solely
1887 for the purpose of encouraging voter participation in the election being conducted or from
1888 making available self-service water from an unattended receptacle to an elector waiting in
1889 line to vote."

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics