IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 12th April 2021, 11:10 PM   #121
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
Bigotry. Don't you find it odd that Franklin found Germans to be "swarthy" when Germans are no more 'swarthy' than the average Englishman that Franklin thought so superior? Why use a term for 'dark' that was not actually physically accurate? Darkness is psychologically representative of something negative.
Originally Posted by ponderingturtle View Post
Wow it was expressed in explicitly racist terms but isn't racism because it doesn't fit your definitions of race.
"Wow", yourself. Is racism somehow worse than bigotry on a sliding scale of what you can get outraged over? How does "my" definition of race come into this? How was the "German race" a different "race" from that of the "English race" that Franklin was comparing them to? You do realize that the English of his time, much more so than today, were largely descended from the Germanic tribes of the Angles, Saxons, and Jutes , and the Danes, don't you?

I just found Franklin's use of "swarthy", meaning "dark", to indicate something negative interesting. You incorrectly inferred something quite different than intended so you can untwist your knickers now.

Last edited by Stacyhs; 12th April 2021 at 11:14 PM.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th April 2021, 01:55 AM   #122
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

"Wow", yourself. Is racism somehow worse than bigotry on a sliding scale of what you can get outraged over? How does "my" definition of race come into this? How was the "German race" a different "race" from that of the "English race" that Franklin was comparing them to? You do realize that the English of his time, much more so than today, were largely descended from the Germanic tribes of the Angles, Saxons, and Jutes , and the Danes, don't you?

I just found Franklin's use of "swarthy", meaning "dark", to indicate something negative interesting. You incorrectly inferred something quite different than intended so you can untwist your knickers now.
In fact, the Royal family are descended from Germans.

Ever heard of Lord Louis Mountbatten... Admiral of the Fleet, 1st Earl Mountbatten of Burma, last Viceroy (and first Governor General) of India, uncle of Prince Philip? Well, "Mountbatten" sounds very English doesn't it, but don't be fooled - it was a name-change, the original family name was "Battenburg". As for Lizzy Windsor, that was a name change too - they were Sax-Coburgs before 17 July 1917
If you don't like my posts, my opinions, or my directness then put me on your ignore list. This will be of benefit to both of us; you won't have to take umbrage at my posts, and I won't have to waste my time talking to you... simples! !
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th April 2021, 06:24 AM   #123
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post

Ever heard of Lord Louis Mountbatten... Admiral of the Fleet, 1st Earl Mountbatten of Burma, last Viceroy (and first Governor General) of India, uncle of Prince Philip? Well, "Mountbatten" sounds very English doesn't it, but don't be fooled - it was a name-change, the original family name was "Battenburg Battenberg". As for Lizzy Windsor, that was a name change too - they were Sax-Coburgs Saxe-Coburg and Gotha before 17 July 1917
Nitpick.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornetsí nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th April 2021, 06:40 AM   #124
Horatius
NWO Kitty Wrangler

Ever heard of Lord Louis Mountbatten... Admiral of the Fleet, 1st Earl Mountbatten of Burma, last Viceroy (and first Governor General) of India, uncle of Prince Philip? Well, "Mountbatten" sounds very English doesn't it, but don't be fooled - it was a name-change, the original family name was "Battenburg". As for Lizzy Windsor, that was a name change too - they were Sax-Coburgs before 17 July 1917

Captain Darling : I'm as British as Queen Victoria!

Captain Blackadder : So your father's German, you're half German, and you married a German!

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
Old 13th April 2021, 06:53 AM   #125
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Wow was he presceint being worried about hessians in 1753!

https://teachingamericanhistory.org/...ter-collinson/

Thanks.

I've already been corrected about that, though.

So we know that Ben Franklin was already bigoted against German settlers years before before the Brits brought in their Hessian auxiliaries.

I'm sure they didn't help his attitude.

"Ninety percent of the politicians give the other ten percent a bad reputation."
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th April 2021, 06:55 AM   #126
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by quadraginta View Post
Thanks.

So we know that Ben Franklin was already bigoted against German settlers years before before the Brits brought in their Hessian auxiliaries.

We also learned that as there is no racial difference between germans and slavs the whole nazi contempt of them was totally not racist too.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th April 2021, 07:04 AM   #127
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

We also learned that as there is no racial difference between germans and slavs the whole nazi contempt of them was totally not racist too.

Not to mention the Irish. The British attitude towards them was totally not racist. So their treatment was totally okay.

"Ninety percent of the politicians give the other ten percent a bad reputation."
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th April 2021, 07:07 AM   #128
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Not to mention the Irish. The British attitude towards them was totally not racist. So their treatment was totally okay.
But of course fortunately race is a universal and not at all subjective and culturally defined.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th April 2021, 07:18 AM   #129
kookbreaker
Evil Fokker

Thanks.

According to some he softened his attitude a bit towards Germans after long discussions with Quakers, it took years, however. Probably never overcame the bigotry fully for sure. Some also note that he tried publishing a German newspaper in the 1730ís but it was a flop since he didnít have a German typeface.

Sadly, Franklins words were used to support the anti-hun hysteria of WW1.

Thanks for helping me win Best Toys in Philly Voter in 2011,2012, and 2014! We won' be discussing the disappointment that was 2013.
kookbreaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th April 2021, 12:19 PM   #130
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

All and Englishman is is a German who could swim...

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 10:55 AM   #131
Mikemcc
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
All and Englishman is is a German who could swim...
Can't even get away with that given where the Saxons and the Angles were from! Not to mention those that founded the Danelaw, Even the Normans weren't originally French.
Mikemcc is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 11:08 AM   #132
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by Mikemcc View Post
Can't even get away with that given where the Saxons and the Angles were from! Not to mention those that founded the Danelaw, Even the Normans weren't originally French.

Was anyone?

Old Today, 01:03 AM   #133
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Was anyone?
EVERYONE'S French on Bastille Day!

I set my cell ring to the Marseillaise back when the GOP were having conniption fits over something I can't even recall anymore and started calling French Fries "Freedom Fries" just to flip them the metaphorical bird. Never bothered to change it back.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 06:55 AM   #134
slyjoe
Master Poster

EVERYONE'S French on Bastille Day!

I set my cell ring to the Marseillaise back when the GOP were having conniption fits over something I can't even recall anymore and started calling French Fries "Freedom Fries" just to flip them the metaphorical bird. Never bothered to change it back.
French opposition in the UN Security Council to the Iraq war (thanks W!).
"You have done nothing to demonstrate an understanding of scientific methodology or modern skepticism, both of which are, by necessity, driven by the facts and evidence, not by preconceptions, and both of which are strengthened by, and rely upon, change." - Arkan Wolfshade
slyjoe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics