IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Trials and Errors

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Derek Chauvin , George Floyd , murder cases , police incidents , police issues , police misconduct charges

Old Today, 10:44 AM   #1081
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post
Somehow I don't think the defense of "it wasn't murder, my client was simply totally indifferent to his victim's wellbeing while using lethal force" is one that is considered viable unless the accused is a cop.
Exactly. Take one shot in the same county as cop and you will be arrested for attempted murder of peace officer, even if you hit the plate you were actually shooting at.

If I had a pet panda I would name it Snowflake.
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 10:52 AM   #1082
plague311
Great minds think...

I think it's safe to say that there is never a trial that happens where the phrase, "There only needs to be one _insert_your_term_here (bootlicker, *******, etc.) to have a mistrial" can't be applied. To me, it's like saying, "Hey, it's you!" when you see someone. It's always true.

My personal opinion is that no one in the jury is walking away from this trial thinking, "Yeah, he did everything right. It's pretty clear cut that he was well within the regulations and training he received." Hell the defense couldn't get their own witnesses to stand firm that Chauvin was in the right. The closest they got was Brodd, and even he backpedaled a bunch.

Is it possible there's someone so dug in on either side that it could cause a mistrial? Sure, there's no way to say it's impossible. Do I think it will be likely? No, not even slightly. I would put the chances that there's a mistrial by hung jury likeliness between 1-3%.

I see Murder 3 as the compromise.

“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 10:55 AM   #1083
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Yeah but you have to understand cops being convicted for murders they commit while on the job almost literally never happen. The mere possibility has only become a thing in the last few years.

It's not the same as every other trial where the possibility is more towards the center.
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 11:04 AM   #1084
plague311
Great minds think...

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
Yeah but you have to understand cops being convicted for murders they commit while on the job almost literally never happen. The mere possibility has only become a thing in the last few years.

It's not the same as every other trial where the possibility is more towards the center.
I think I understand that fairly well, which is why I don't think he'll get Murder 2. Even if, as you and ST have pointed out, there is a good legal and ethical argument that Chauvin is actually guilty of Murder 2.

The fact this crime has the sheer amount of evidence that it does is why I think it will get murder 3. I think it's the perfect "meet in the middle" for the jurors. I didn't see the prosecution rail on intent enough to get the jury to strongly consider it.

“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 11:05 AM   #1085
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

What makes the difference is that everybody is walking around with a camera in his pocket. Without the video, Floyd's death would have almost certainly been recorded as "a drug overdose and excited delirium while in custody after a felony arrest."
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 11:05 AM   #1086
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Yeah I had the hope that cell phones and bodycams would change stuff to. It just didn't.
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 11:09 AM   #1087
SuburbanTurkey
Philosopher

Yeah I had the hope that cell phones and bodycams would change stuff to. It just didn't.
It hasn't changed police behavior, but I think it's pretty clear it's changing how the public views these killings. Every time these happen on video and the cops get away with it, it's another small blow against the unearned trust that many give the police.

Total speculation, but I have a really hard time imagining Chauvin even being charged, much less convicted, of anything unless there was video evidence.

They would have simply lied in their reports. Witness testimony would be deemed unreliable. Floyd would be another spontaneous death caused by "excited delirium", a totally real thing that isn't just pseudoscience made up to exonerate police.

Last edited by SuburbanTurkey; Today at 11:10 AM.
SuburbanTurkey is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 11:28 AM   #1088
SuburbanTurkey
Philosopher

Quote:
Ultra-conservative evangelical leader Pat Robertson delivered a surprisingly searing rant about the recent “onslaught” of police violence, blasting former officers Kim Potter and Derek Chauvin while saying cops have “got to stop this stuff.”
https://www.thedailybeast.com/pat-ro...top-this-stuff

Not a great indicator for Chauvin, or for cops generally, if a right wing freak like Robertson is starting to turn against them.
Old Today, 12:15 PM   #1089
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

It takes time to change a societal norm (as in the cops not being accountable and getting away with lying).

Not going to happen overnight.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 12:38 PM   #1090
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post
https://www.thedailybeast.com/pat-ro...top-this-stuff

Not a great indicator for Chauvin, or for cops generally, if a right wing freak like Robertson is starting to turn against them.
Even somebody like that can see what's in front of him. The usual reflexive apologists for the police haven't said much for Chauvin.
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Trials and Errors