IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , Trump administration , Trump controversies

Old Today, 08:55 AM   #2521
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
I despise Mosely, but he could be witty and amusing at times...something beyond Trump's ability.
//Bouncing off that thought..."

Throughout the entire Trump... thing we kept stopping discourse to have this weird side-debate about whether Trump was "worse" than previous Presidents like Bush and Reagan.

Often times it was stated the Trump wasn't worse then So and So because while So and So might have had good qualities, those good qualities didn't outweigh the bad and they shouldn't credit for goodness. Some people were even a little put off by the idea of Bush or Reagan or Nixon "looking better" in comparison to Trump.

Now there's a valid argument in there to be sure but I think it missed the point a little bit.

The question, at times, wasn't "Is Trump the worse President ever" on some kind of absolute scale of objective harm done but more just a general "Okay so what are Trump's good qualities?" kind of thing.

For instance the phrase "American picked Bush because he felt like the kind of guy you could have a beer with" (or functionally identical or similar observations) were made a lot during and after the Bush Presidency, with the observation that that's a horrible way to pick the President and I agree 100%. But at least the statement was correct, one can imagine sitting down and having a beer with George W. Bush.

I can't do that with Trump. He'd pretend he left his wallet in the car, make me buy the first round, then disappear for the rest of the evening and at last call I'd learn he charged a 400 dollar bottle of champagne on my tab for a group of strippers and left an hour ago.

I can imagine listening to Reagan speak about Americana and being emotionally moved even if I think he was a horrible President who used a very false idea of Americana to promote his agenda. But again not Trump. There was no slick silver lining around his dark cloud. Hell even Nixon legit loved his family and pets.

So it's not a matter of "Is Trump the worst President if we graph on this chart of objective good versus objective bad." The internet really just needs to accept that those question don't really have answers in the way they expect them to. But with Trump the question is "Has any President ever actually had fewer good qualities? Does Trump have any?"

Obama, the Bushes, Reagan, Ford, Clinton, Carter, even Nixon. All of them had moments, sometimes far too rare but still moments, of humanity and goodness. Some of them were good people, some of them were bad, but they all had some internal motivation between just simple trolling jackassery.

But what are Trump's good qualities? He's not a smart man but he also doesn't have Reagan or the Bushes down to Earthiness. He's not a good liberal or a good conservative. He's not a good family man. Hell he's not even a good rich man. He's bad at everything.

His only quality is a psychopathic obession with power that somehow when the stars aligned made him the perfect figurehead for the growing demographic of nihilistic trolls.
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 02:07 PM   #2522
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
//Bouncing off that thought..."

Throughout the entire Trump... thing we kept stopping discourse to have this weird side-debate about whether Trump was "worse" than previous Presidents like Bush and Reagan.

Often times it was stated the Trump wasn't worse then So and So because while So and So might have had good qualities, those good qualities didn't outweigh the bad and they shouldn't credit for goodness. Some people were even a little put off by the idea of Bush or Reagan or Nixon "looking better" in comparison to Trump.

Now there's a valid argument in there to be sure but I think it missed the point a little bit.

The question, at times, wasn't "Is Trump the worse President ever" on some kind of absolute scale of objective harm done but more just a general "Okay so what are Trump's good qualities?" kind of thing.

For instance the phrase "American picked Bush because he felt like the kind of guy you could have a beer with" (or functionally identical or similar observations) were made a lot during and after the Bush Presidency, with the observation that that's a horrible way to pick the President and I agree 100%. But at least the statement was correct, one can imagine sitting down and having a beer with George W. Bush.

I can't do that with Trump. He'd pretend he left his wallet in the car, make me buy the first round, then disappear for the rest of the evening and at last call I'd learn he charged a 400 dollar bottle of champagne on my tab for a group of strippers and left an hour ago.

I can imagine listening to Reagan speak about Americana and being emotionally moved even if I think he was a horrible President who used a very false idea of Americana to promote his agenda. But again not Trump. There was no slick silver lining around his dark cloud. Hell even Nixon legit loved his family and pets.

So it's not a matter of "Is Trump the worst President if we graph on this chart of objective good versus objective bad." The internet really just needs to accept that those question don't really have answers in the way they expect them to. But with Trump the question is "Has any President ever actually had fewer good qualities? Does Trump have any?"

Obama, the Bushes, Reagan, Ford, Clinton, Carter, even Nixon. All of them had moments, sometimes far too rare but still moments, of humanity and goodness. Some of them were good people, some of them were bad, but they all had some internal motivation between just simple trolling jackassery.

But what are Trump's good qualities? He's not a smart man but he also doesn't have Reagan or the Bushes down to Earthiness. He's not a good liberal or a good conservative. He's not a good family man. Hell he's not even a good rich man. He's bad at everything.

His only quality is a psychopathic obession with power himself that somehow when the stars aligned made him the perfect figurehead for the growing demographic of nihilistic trolls.
The only correction I would offer to a comment I agree with.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornetsí nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics