IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags 2020 elections , joe biden , Kamala Harris

Old Today, 01:10 PM   #3201
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by dirtywick View Post
One thing I think Biden is doing very well is pushing a very aggressive agenda. Itís rare to see this in a first term, but I think itís wise. Thereís a very distinct possibility he can poll well and do a lot of popular things and still lose next term due to the EC and inconsistent polling is. Better to be aggressive and let the chips fall

It's well-established that the policies Biden is promoting are widely supported by the American people, even if not by Repub officials.
Quote:
The latest Morning Consult-Politico poll, for example, has the president at 60 percent approval with only 37 percent disapproval. Heís off the charts among Democrats (92 percent) and wins independents 52 percent to 40 percent. Sixty-three percent approve of his handling of the covid-19 pandemic (compared to 24 percent approval for congressional Republicans). Despite the actions of many GOP governors, nearly 70 percent of voters think ďAmericans should continue to social distance for as long as is needed to curb the spread of coronavirus even if it means continued damage to the economy.Ē

Republicansí quibbling about the definition of infrastructure has largely fallen on deaf ears. Voters generally have more expansive definitions for infrastructure, which in their minds includes schools (70 percent say itís infrastructure), child care (53 percent), manufacturing (69 percent), water pipes (78 percent), Internet (68 percent), housing (69 percent). Bidenís overall plan gets 57 percent approval, with only 24 percent disapproval. Mention an increase in corporate taxes, and support climbs to 62 percent.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/opini...den-his-plans/
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 01:15 PM   #3202
dirtywick
Illuminator

It’s also well established that getting ~55% of the popular vote is barely enough to win and despite similarly favorable polls in the last election the votes didn’t reflect the polling. I think a more conservative agenda could be justified on those factors and I’m impressed Biden isn’t taking that approach
dirtywick is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 01:15 PM   #3203
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by dirtywick View Post
One thing I think Biden is doing very well is pushing a very aggressive agenda. Itís rare to see this in a first term, but I think itís wise. Thereís a very distinct possibility he can poll well and do a lot of popular things and still lose next term due to the EC and inconsistent polling is. Better to be aggressive and let the chips fall
I think the politics of it is brilliant. It's been a huge mistake to ignore infrastructure for so long. This is something that Americans want in both urban and rural America.

But I also think that Congress should pass a voting rights bill that eliminates gerrymandering. Also they need to address reapportionment and make DC and PR states.
Old Today, 01:29 PM   #3204
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
Biden can just institute a Land Value Tax via Executive Order, right?
No. The POTUS can't usurp Congresses' role in tax laws.

As to Amazon having a no sales tax advantage, that's BS given they have a huge cost in comparison with shipping charges.

Amazon beat out competitors by operating at a loss for a while.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 01:35 PM   #3205
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post
Would it have to? You already know how many hours you bill. If the tax was X%, you would pay X% of your hours as tax, and might have to adjust your hourly rate upward. You wouldn't necessarily need to have a separate line item for sales tax on every invoice.
You have no idea how little paperwork is too much paperwork.

ETA: I actually think that services should be taxed. It is silly that they aren't, and the only reason I can think of to justify this exclusion from sales tax is that my profession writes most of the rules.

If I had a pet panda I would name it Snowflake.

Last edited by Dr. Keith; Today at 01:36 PM.
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 01:46 PM   #3206
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
No. The POTUS can't usurp Congresses' role in tax laws.

As to Amazon having a no sales tax advantage, that's BS given they have a huge cost in comparison with shipping charges.

Amazon beat out competitors by operating at a loss for a while.

I didn't mean the company saved money. Amazon didn't make a profit for a long time. I meant they built their market share by undercutting brick-and-mortar prices, and not having a sales tax helped them do it. That was a core part of their founding strategy.
Quote:
Bezos originally hoped to find a way to game the system and avoid sales taxes altogether. In the early days, he told Fast Company in a 1996 interview, he looked into “whether we could set up Amazon.com on an Indian reservation near San Francisco. This way we could have access to talent without all the tax consequences.” It didn’t work out. “Unfortunately, the government thought of that first,” he said.
https://thecounter.org/amazon-a-whol...urt-sales-tax/
https://www.theguardian.com/technolo...x-loopholes-us

Amazon's also pretty good at avoiding/evading federal income taxes, too.
Quote:
Amazon, the ubiquitous purveyor of two-day delivery of just about everything, nearly doubled its profits to $11.2 billion in 2018 from $5.6 billion the previous year and, once again, didn’t pay a single cent of federal income taxes.

The company’s newest corporate filing reveals that, far from paying the statutory 21 percent income tax rate on its U.S. income in 2018, Amazon reported a federal income tax rebate of $129 million. For those who don’t have a pocket calculator handy, that works out to a tax rate of negative 1 percent. The fine print of Amazon’s income tax disclosure shows that this achievement is partly due to various unspecified “tax credits” as well as a tax break for executive stock options.
https://itep.org/amazon-in-its-prime...-income-taxes/

Last edited by Bob001; Today at 01:47 PM.
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 04:03 PM   #3207
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post
Quote:
As someone who has supported themselves for decades on the sale of services I vehemently oppose a tax on services because it would increase my paperwork if I ever go back to private practice.
Would it have to? You already know how many hours you bill. If the tax was X%, you would pay X% of your hours as tax, and might have to adjust your hourly rate upward. You wouldn't necessarily need to have a separate line item for sales tax on every invoice.
Depending on the details there may be a few extra calculations that need to be made.

For example, if you run some sort of business that provides a service, you probably also have to purchase supplies, which were subject to tax. But to avoid being taxed on something that was already taxed, you might be able to deduct sales tax on items you purchased from your overall tax bill.

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics