ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » History, Literature, and the Arts

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 23rd July 2020, 10:05 AM   #121
Armitage72
Illuminator

The Pinky and the Brain animated series always had an obscure vocabulary word in the end credits of each episode.

Some examples:

Gharnao- A raft made of inverted ceramic pots
Zumbooruk- A small cannon fired from the back of a camel
Spizzerinctum- The will to succeed
Ultracrepidarianism- Giving opinions outside of one’s knowledge
Palinoia- Compulsive repetition of an act until perfect
Psaphonic- Planning one’s rise to fame
Myomancy- Divination by movements of mice
Trichotillomania- Abnormal urge to pull out one’s hair
Azygous- Appearing as one single being or part
Barophobia- Fear of gravity
Oobar- A dry fog of the upper Nile
Hircismus- Stinky armpits
Cynanthropy- Disorder where sufferer imagines he’s a dog
Spheropygian- Having full and rounded buttocks
Exophagy- Cannibalism outside the tribe
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd July 2020, 11:05 AM   #122
xterra
So far, so good...

Location: On the outskirts of Nowhere; the middle was too crowded
Here is a term that most people* understand and use incorrectly: monsoon

*I was one of them.
Old 23rd July 2020, 07:35 PM   #123
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena
Pronouns: he/him

Originally Posted by bruto View Post
My regard for "Pippa Passes" has always been pretty contumelious anyway, and that doesn't help.

Speaking of interesting new words, I ran into one the other day, "Amphiboly."

It's a linguistic confusion or fallacy when an ambiguous word or phrase seems to create a contradiction or non-sequitur. Groucho Marx was good at this.

Sometimes it can just be a dangling modifier, such as "I shot an elephant in my pajamas."

More fun is had when it's a word or words that can be used in more than one way. "Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

Another is the sign on a dumpster : "Empty when full."

A family favorite when I was a kid was the highway sign "Slow Children."
Adam Savage has a sign in his cave that reads "Dressing or Undressing Prohibited" (YouTube link to video about this sign). It isn't quite amphiboly, though.
Old 23rd July 2020, 09:05 PM   #124
Gord_in_Toronto
Penultimate Amazing

My regard for "Pippa Passes" has always been pretty contumelious anyway, and that doesn't help.

Speaking of interesting new words, I ran into one the other day, "Amphiboly."

It's a linguistic confusion or fallacy when an ambiguous word or phrase seems to create a contradiction or non-sequitur. Groucho Marx was good at this.

Sometimes it can just be a dangling modifier, such as "I shot an elephant in my pajamas."

More fun is had when it's a word or words that can be used in more than one way. "Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

Another is the sign on a dumpster : "Empty when full."

A family favorite when I was a kid was the highway sign "Slow Children."
My favourite is WATCH FOR CHILDREN. I always told my kids when they were small that I thought it a good deal.
Old 24th July 2020, 06:02 AM   #125
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Oddly enough, before this post I had noted this word to be included in this thread. I came across it in E.E. "Doc" Smith's Skylark series. I also encountered several other words with which I was unfamiliar, but didn't note them at the time because I was enjoying the story so much. That doesn't include any of the dozens of made-up alien words.

Originally Posted by Armitage72 View Post
The Pinky and the Brain animated series always had an obscure vocabulary word in the end credits of each episode.

Some examples:

Gharnao- A raft made of inverted ceramic pots
Zumbooruk- A small cannon fired from the back of a camel
Spizzerinctum- The will to succeed
Ultracrepidarianism- Giving opinions outside of one’s knowledge
Palinoia- Compulsive repetition of an act until perfect
Psaphonic- Planning one’s rise to fame
Myomancy- Divination by movements of mice
Trichotillomania- Abnormal urge to pull out one’s hair
Azygous- Appearing as one single being or part
Barophobia- Fear of gravity
Oobar- A dry fog of the upper Nile
Hircismus- Stinky armpits
Cynanthropy- Disorder where sufferer imagines he’s a dog
Spheropygian- Having full and rounded buttocks
Exophagy- Cannibalism outside the tribe
Assuming these are all real words, I'm surprised that I don't believe I've encountered a single one before. And I read a lot.

Last edited by alfaniner; 24th July 2020 at 06:06 AM.
alfaniner is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th July 2020, 07:06 AM   #126
Armitage72
Illuminator

Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post
Assuming these are all real words, I'm surprised that I don't believe I've encountered a single one before. And I read a lot.

Google has trouble with gharnao, so it may be a very regional word. I'm finding references to ceramic pot rafts being used on the Nile in the 18th Century or earlier, but no specific name for them.

Merriam-Webster has zumbooruk.
a small cannon mounted on a swivel
especially : one fired from a rest on the back of a camel
Arabic zanbūrak, from Persian zanbūrah, from zanbūr hornet
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th July 2020, 09:09 AM   #127
Wudang
BOFH

https://collections.royalarmouries.o...ect-92939.html

The Royal Armouries has it as "Zamburak". Their experts are top in their field though I still don't understand why they have one chinese sword labeled as "dao" instead of "jian".

The only word I'd seen before was ultracrepidarianism and I think that was via Susie Dent a little while back.
Old 30th September 2020, 03:52 AM   #128
Wudang
BOFH

Susie Dent again

https://twitter.com/susie_dent/statu...158901248?s=20

Quote:
Should you need it, ‘mubble-fubbles’ is a 16th-century term for a feeling of despondency and a sense of impending doom.
Old 30th September 2020, 08:26 AM   #129
Jim_MDP
Philosopher

Here's a topical one I learned an hour ago, thanks to Catsmate over on the "don't use homemade vaccine ya jackass" thread...

"variolating"
As I phrased it (correct me if I'm wrong), it's the pre-vax inoculation (exposure) technique specific to smallpox (variola).
Obscure enough?

"Suggesting spurious explanations isn't relevant to my work." -- WTC Dust.
"Both cannot be simultaneously true, and so one may conclude neither is true, and if neither is true, then Apollo is fraudulent." -- Patrick1000.
Jim_MDP is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th September 2020, 08:37 AM   #130
Dave Rogers
Bandaged ice that stampedes inexpensively through a scribbled morning waving necessary ankles

Originally Posted by Jim_MDP View Post
Here's a topical one I learned an hour ago, thanks to Catsmate over on the "don't use homemade vaccine ya jackass" thread...
I must confess I was a bit surprised when I misread the bit about Charles Maitland "variolating the daughters of the Princess of Wales".

Dave

- Myriad
Dave Rogers is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th September 2020, 09:06 AM   #131
Jim_MDP
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Dave Rogers View Post
I must confess I was a bit surprised when I misread the bit about Charles Maitland "variolating the daughters of the Princess of Wales".

Dave
Same. Honestly... I couldn't NOT look it up after that.

"Suggesting spurious explanations isn't relevant to my work." -- WTC Dust.
"Both cannot be simultaneously true, and so one may conclude neither is true, and if neither is true, then Apollo is fraudulent." -- Patrick1000.
Jim_MDP is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th September 2020, 03:53 PM   #132
Brainster
Penultimate Amazing

I hope somebody comes up with an FPS game than has camels with swivel-mounted cannons. I'd play it!

My contribution: Jabbernowl. Merriam Webster just says "numskull, nincompoop." I first encountered it in the WC Fields movie, the Bank Dick, but I recently saw it on an old episode of the Laurie and Fry version of Bertie and Jeeves. Gussie Fink-Nottle exclaims, "You old jabbernowl!" to Pop Bassett..
Brainster is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » History, Literature, and the Arts