ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Computers and the Internet

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old Yesterday, 08:08 PM   #2561
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post

What is it about people and their passwords? I haven't had to have my password reset more than twice in my 25-year career in IT. About the same rate as I forget my security pass.
As a support person, I used to have to log in to several remote sites, sometimes only once a year or so. The main campus required password changes every three months, with restrictions against repeating a previous one or even making it too similar to the one you've been using.

So I'd log in to a remote site and have to backtrack through my passwords and hope to hit on the one that was still active there. The first two tries were using my current one, and then the redo when I though I had a typo or something. That gave me one more shot, and invariably it was an older one than that. So yeah, I had to use Password reset a lot. I was in a different support area from the ones that handled those. I actually had the option of "God mode" to do it myself on all our computers, but that was forbidden.

Last edited by alfaniner; Yesterday at 08:09 PM.
alfaniner is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 08:11 PM   #2562
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena
Pronouns: he/him

Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post
As a support person, I used to have to log in to several remote sites, sometimes only once a year or so. The main campus required password changes every three months, with restrictions against repeating a previous one or even making it too similar to the one you've been using.

So I'd log in to a remote site and have to backtrack through my passwords and hope to hit on the one that was still active there. The first two tries were using my current one, and then the redo when I though I had a typo or something. That gave me one more shot, and invariably it was an older one than that. So yeah, I had to use Password reset a lot. I was in a different support area from the ones that handled those. I actually had the option of "God mode" to do it myself on all our computers, but that was forbidden.
...You know that you can do something about that, right?
Old Yesterday, 08:31 PM   #2563
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Well that was a surprise. I was just given an award for having the highest QA scores on Tier 2 for the month of September. I got a trophy and a big box of chocolates.

Old Yesterday, 08:38 PM   #2564
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

I actually had the option of "God mode" to do it myself on all our computers, but that was forbidden.
I used to support a certain application, then when I moved to another team some foolish person tried to revoke my godlike level of access by turning off my own login's privileges there. Then they changed the password on the shared admin login so I couldn't use it to restore my own powers.

They never realized that I had thought ahead and created a completely fake person, just in case. They should have checked for who else had admin privileges and wondered who Amy Feathers was and why she had godlike access to absolutely everything.
Old Today, 02:28 AM   #2565
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

One facility down. Get on a helicopter and do it all again at the next.
Sideroxylon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 02:58 AM   #2566
Wudang
BOFH

Well that was a surprise. I was just given an award for having the highest QA scores on Tier 2 for the month of September. I got a trophy and a big box of chocolates.

Nice one.
Old Today, 04:15 AM   #2567
Gord_in_Toronto
Penultimate Amazing

Trophy = management mind manipulation.

Box of chocolates = nice.
Old Today, 05:08 AM   #2568
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by Gord_in_Toronto View Post

Heh. On my last team the manager had a particular hatred for me. On one occasion after the whole team had done a lot of extra work and accomplished something big she invited every one except me to a meeting and gave them each a little trophy and cake. This backfired tremendously because my co-workers didn't hate me and found the slight to me reprehensible.

Later on she was demoted. I don't think anyone was sad to see her go.
Old Today, 05:20 AM   #2569
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

"Oh lordy me I'm a frazzled old elderly woman and there's no one way I can be remembering all these complicated passwords" is a very key part of the forced, intentional "Oh I'm just not a computer person" persona.
Old Today, 05:41 AM   #2570
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

And I'm back down a rabbit hole of fax troubleshooting.

Why does the medical field use faxes so much? It's 2020. It's a horrible, unsecure, unreliable technology.
Old Today, 06:07 AM   #2571
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post

Why does the medical field use faxes so much? It's 2020. It's a horrible, unsecure, unreliable technology.
I once had to provide some medical information to a facility from home before an appointment, and they would only accept a fax. I don't think many people have faxes at home. It was actually the first time I'd had to use that feature on my printer and it took a hell of a lot longer to configure than a secure email or even putting it in an envelope and mailing it.
Old Today, 06:11 AM   #2572
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

And you wondered if threatening people with a spoon would work!
Old Today, 06:14 AM   #2573
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

"Oh lordy me I'm a frazzled old elderly woman and there's no one way I can be remembering all these complicated passwords" is a very key part of the forced, intentional "Oh I'm just not a computer person" persona.
My mother is such a frazzled old elderly woman with password remembrance issues. So she writes them all down, which makes sense...except she writes them all down in different places at different times. Watching her log into Amazon or something is a real treat, she'll bring out a notepad, several index cards, and some loose sheets of paper covered in various logins and passwords ranging from ten years ago to yesterday and go through trying several. And although I always tell her to write down the entire password exactly as she should enter it, and she does, when she reads it back to herself she omits punctuation marks and ignores capitalization "because that shouldn't matter".
Old Today, 06:25 AM   #2574
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
My mother is such a frazzled old elderly woman with password remembrance issues. So she writes them all down, which makes sense...except she writes them all down in different places at different times. Watching her log into Amazon or something is a real treat, she'll bring out a notepad, several index cards, and some loose sheets of paper covered in various logins and passwords ranging from ten years ago to yesterday and go through trying several. And although I always tell her to write down the entire password exactly as she should enter it, and she does, when she reads it back to herself she omits punctuation marks and ignores capitalization "because that shouldn't matter".
That's why at this point I just don't tell many of my users that capitalization doesn't matter on their username, because there's just too much chance it will just confuse them in regards to their password.

But I will say that the IT Industry sort of passed the point of diminishing returns on traditional typed in passwords a while back and didn't properly address it. Biometric, token based, or other alternatives forms should, maybe not be the norm, but at least be more viable then they currently are.
Old Today, 06:33 AM   #2575
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

What I love is people who devise a "system" to make passwords they can remember, but make it so obvious that anyone can deduce what their passwords are. A few jobs ago my boss had such a system. We were on the schedule of changing passwords every three months so she based hers off the season: her passwords were always [Prior Season][Current Season][Two Digit Year]. So "FallWinter09" then "WinterSpring10" then "SpringSummer10" and so forth.

We certainly didn't abuse our knowledge of that, of course.
Old Today, 07:39 AM   #2576
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Ohhh, ****...

I just went to put the finishing touches on my latest electronic project. The code is not there. I was just working on it last night, and have put weeks into it. I don't know what happened. I think it got deleted when I was trying to do a Cut/Paste to move some code around, then it auto-saved. I had even made a copy to save my work at some point but I can't find that, either.

If I had more than one god damn USB slot I'd have had my Time Machine connected and there wouldn't be a problem. As it is I was using it for the Arduino board most of the time. I had problems with those connectors that provide more USB slots so I wasn't using one.

This means I have to start completely from scratch.

I am quite perturbed.
Old Today, 08:17 AM   #2577
Wudang
BOFH

Ouch!

For complex stuff I do regular commits to github. For simpler stuff I regularly save as filename_BSF.whatever for Best So Far. Except when I forget.

eta: On Windows Diskdigger might help if there are recoverable file parts. Too long since I used it and that was on a sd card

Last edited by Wudang; Today at 08:20 AM.
Wudang is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 09:35 AM   #2578
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Ohhh, ****...
Thank you for the reminder to hook up my Time Machine drive.

If I had a pet panda I would name it Snowflake.
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 09:37 AM   #2579
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

So, were you going to share those with the class or what?

Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 10:24 AM   #2580
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

The other big fax holdout seems to be Real Estate. When you buy or sell a house you have to learn where all the public fax machines are.
Old Today, 10:27 AM   #2581
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Doing a Scream Test. First one in recent memory. We joke about it a lot, but management almost never authorizes one.

Well, I got the authorization. The screams are revealing, so I'm calling the test a success so far.
theprestige is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 10:52 AM   #2582
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
The other big fax holdout seems to be Real Estate. When you buy or sell a house you have to learn where all the public fax machines are.
I bought a house in 2016. Through the VA.

Yeah... a LOT of faxes got sent.
Old Today, 11:09 AM   #2583
Gord_in_Toronto
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
There are actually some computer-document-to-fax sites that will manage this through the Internet for you. I checked a couple out a year or two ago using free previews and the seemed to work just fine. (Just in case anyone is truly interested.)
Old Today, 02:12 PM   #2584
Blue Mountain
Resident Skeptical Hobbit

That's why at this point I just don't tell many of my users that capitalization doesn't matter on their username, because there's just too much chance it will just confuse them in regards to their password.

But I will say that the IT Industry sort of passed the point of diminishing returns on traditional typed in passwords a while back and didn't properly address it. Biometric, token based, or other alternatives forms should, maybe not be the norm, but at least be more viable then they currently are.
While I think biometrics can be used for authentication (that is, it shows you are who you say you are), in my opinion it should never be used for authorization (giving you access to stuff.) There are many ways to fool biometric systems. If they get compromised, what are you going to do? Not everyone can afford a face transplant when the face recognition system gets hacked and will accept a photograph wrapped around a ball.
The social illusion reigns to-day upon all the heaped-up ruins of the past, and to it belongs the future. The masses have never thirsted after truth. They turn aside from evidence that is not to their taste, preferring to deify error, if error seduce them. Gustav Le Bon, The Crowd, 1895 (from the French)
Canadian or living in Canada? PM me if you want an entry on the list of Canadians on the forum.

Last edited by Blue Mountain; Today at 02:14 PM.
Blue Mountain is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 02:29 PM   #2585
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
And you wondered if threatening people with a spoon would work!
Funny thing is that the guy in the next desk over got a literal wooden spoon for getting the lowest score. There was much amusement in the Teams chat.

Originally Posted by Dr. Keith View Post
So, were you going to share those with the class or what?
Absolutely! I have already offered them to everyone. We are, after all, a team, and I couldn't have done it without all of them. Also, there's no way I'll make a dent in this thing. I would eat maybe one a day. They'll be there for months if I keep them to myself.

This actually means a lot to me, though I am being pretty low-key about it in person. I have always suffered from really bad impostor syndrome with regards to my ability to do this job. I cope with it by essentially pretending to be competent. This trophy, cheap and plastic though it is, is pretty darn validating, and it feels good.
Old Today, 02:58 PM   #2586
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

This actually means a lot to me, though I am being pretty low-key about it in person. I have always suffered from really bad impostor syndrome with regards to my ability to do this job. I cope with it by essentially pretending to be competent. This trophy, cheap and plastic though it is, is pretty darn validating, and it feels good.
This reminds me of George Hrab who says he was chubby as a kid so he always sees himself as fat even though he is fit AF.

I'll pm you my address and you can send my chocolate on. I'm not George Hrab.

Old Today, 04:54 PM   #2587
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by Gord_in_Toronto View Post

I could see the trophy as a good conversation starter. You put it on your mantle and when a visitor asks what it was for you tell them and they respond with "You got it for what?".

Okay. Maybe a good conversation stopper, too. I guess it would depend on the target audience.

On second thought, put it on a closet shelf. Way in the back.

In a shoebox.

Under your collection of socks that don't match any other socks..

"Ninety percent of the politicians give the other ten percent a bad reputation."
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 05:05 PM   #2588
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Originally Posted by quadraginta View Post
I could see the trophy as a good conversation starter. You put it on your mantle and when a visitor asks what it was for you tell them and they respond with "You got it for what?".

Okay. Maybe a good conversation stopper, too. I guess it would depend on the target audience.

On second thought, put it on a closet shelf. Way in the back.

In a shoebox.

Under your collection of socks that don't match any other socks..
Unfortunately it's one of those that is passed along to the next person to win it.

What - you don't think they'd shell out for multiple trophies, do you?

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Computers and the Internet