ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags India incidents , India issues , jail and prison issues

Old 19th June 2011, 02:18 AM   #1
angrysoba
Philosophile

PC-Mad Liberal Softieland, India, Lets Killer Walk Free

What if this man goes on a killing frenzy now that he's been released? What's to stop him going on the rampage?

He seems quite popular with the other inmates:

Quote:
As he was carried from the jail, Mr Bihari hugged fellow inmates, who placed a garland of flowers on him.

Prison officials said he received the garland with a broad smile and said: "God is great. Thank you."
BBC

What do other people think?
"The thief and the murderer follow nature just as much as the philanthropist. Cosmic evolution may teach us how the good and the evil tendencies of man may have come about; but, in itself, it is incompetent to furnish any better reason why what we call good is preferable to what we call evil than we had before."

"Evolution and Ethics" T.H. Huxley (1893)
angrysoba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th June 2011, 07:57 AM   #2
WildCat
NWO Master Conspirator

"After a trial lasting more than two decades he was sentenced in 2009 but had to be frequently rushed to hospital and was mostly bed-ridden."

wtf?
Old 19th June 2011, 08:03 AM   #3
JoeTheJuggler
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by angrysoba View Post
What if this man goes on a killing frenzy now that he's been released? What's to stop him going on the rampage?
He's frail and 108 years old.

I'm not sure it's even accurate to say they let him "walk" free, since he's "mostly bed-ridden".*

I have no problem with taking into consideration the cost to the state of taking care of such prisoners weighed against the potential risk of danger of freeing them.

It seems reasonable to me.

*ETA: And "mostly bed-ridden" described him up to sentencing 2 years ago. I'd bet money he's just bed-ridden now.

Last edited by JoeTheJuggler; 19th June 2011 at 08:06 AM.
JoeTheJuggler is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th June 2011, 08:36 AM   #4
uk_dave
Philosopher

Originally Posted by angrysoba View Post
What's to stop him going on the rampage?
"Shortly after being released he did indeed go on the rampage. One witness described the scene: 'He just snapped. It was horrible.' as his body was taken away in two ambulances."
uk_dave is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th June 2011, 10:15 AM   #5
JoeTheJuggler
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by uk_dave View Post
"Shortly after being released he did indeed go on the rampage. One witness described the scene: 'He just snapped. It was horrible.' as his body was taken away in two ambulances."

I blame the floral garland. He just buckled under its weight.
Old 19th June 2011, 10:39 AM   #6
TubbaBlubba
Knave of the Dudes

I don't see any harm from letting him out.
Old 19th June 2011, 11:27 AM   #7
Nursedan
Critical Thinker

So they sentenced him at 106 years old but are letting him out at 108 because of humanitarian reasons? Seems odd. Maybe he was jailed during his trial though...

Wasn't the Lockerbie bomber let out on humanitarian reasons due to his impending death which has yet to occur? I doubt the victim's families are happy to see this man released. I disagree.
Old 23rd June 2011, 11:06 AM   #8
Susheel
Graduate Poster

A little clarification here...the Indian justice system has a whole lot of problems. For one it is so horribly backlogged and the fact that undertrials most of them without recourse to efficient legal counsel and poor and unable to post bail usually remain incarcerated while the trial is in progress. This results in situations like this. Frankly, I don't find it a problem that he was released on humanitarian grounds.

Indian courts liberal? Inefficient, corrupt, steeped in insane red tape bureaucracy, but liberal? No. Of course we do not have a revolving door to the courtyard leading to the gallows (yes we hang 'em high) and this is done in the rarest of the rare cases though the other factors tend to allow those who deserve the death sentence, but have power and wealth, to walk free.

However the country is a democracy and there have been instances where public outcry has resulted in retrials and sentencing of some cases where the accused was dubiously set free. I only hope that the justice system gets fixed enough so that justice is...well...just. I am an optimist and there are people in India who are actively engaged in trying to see that this happens. I keep my fingers crossed.
Old 1st July 2011, 05:48 AM   #9
Beerina
Sarcastic Conqueror of Notions

Originally Posted by TubbaBlubba View Post
I don't see any harm from letting him out.
Justice not being served?

Just throwin' that out there

The government should nationalize it! Socialized, single-payer video game development and sales now! More, cheaper, better games, right? Right?
Beerina is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st July 2011, 06:28 AM   #10
WildCat
NWO Master Conspirator

Originally Posted by JoeTheJuggler View Post
He's frail and 108 years old.

I'm not sure it's even accurate to say they let him "walk" free, since he's "mostly bed-ridden".*

I have no problem with taking into consideration the cost to the state of taking care of such prisoners weighed against the potential risk of danger of freeing them.

It seems reasonable to me.

*ETA: And "mostly bed-ridden" described him up to sentencing 2 years ago. I'd bet money he's just bed-ridden now.
But was he even physically involved in the killings 20 years ago? He may be frail, but isn't he still capable of inciting his relatives to do similar things once again?
Old 2nd July 2011, 06:24 AM   #11
TubbaBlubba
Knave of the Dudes

Originally Posted by Beerina View Post
Justice not being served?

Just throwin' that out there
Only if you consider Justice to be some intangible metaphysical property, rather than a useful human game-theoretic abstraction.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics