IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 14th July 2018, 10:15 PM   #1
Samson
Penultimate Amazing

Rare Earth Metals

This article seems the most comprehensive I have read on the subject

https://phys.org/news/2016-06-dypros...mri-scans.html

In the comment section is

"apparently, the Alberta Tar Sands tailing ponds are chock full of REE's. What's the holdup in exploiting that instead of creating more and more "tailing ponds" creating more fossil fuels"

Maybe someone knows a lot more about this.
Samson is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th July 2018, 11:34 PM   #2
novaphile
Quester of Doglets

The main deal with "rare" earth elements, is that they aren't.
Old 15th July 2018, 12:10 AM   #3
Hungry81
Master Poster

Originally Posted by novaphile View Post
The main deal with "rare" earth elements, is that they aren't.
They are "common" space compounds?
Hungry81 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th July 2018, 05:15 AM   #4
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger

Originally Posted by Hungry81 View Post
They are "common" space compounds?
Please read the link and educate yourself.
Old 17th July 2018, 06:58 AM   #5
MetalPig
Illuminator

Rare earth metal includes trivium, octavarium and welcomehomesanitarium.
Old 17th July 2018, 02:37 PM   #6
Rincewind
Philosopher

Originally Posted by MetalPig View Post
Rare earth metal includes trivium, octavarium and welcomehomesanitarium.
and unobtainium?
Old 17th July 2018, 04:09 PM   #7
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Samson View Post
This article seems the most comprehensive I have read on the subject

https://phys.org/news/2016-06-dypros...mri-scans.html

In the comment section is

"apparently, the Alberta Tar Sands tailing ponds are chock full of REE's. What's the holdup in exploiting that instead of creating more and more "tailing ponds" creating more fossil fuels"

Maybe someone knows a lot more about this.
That seems like a pretty silly comment. You can't exploit REMs instead of fossil fuels because REMs aren't a fuel. In a perfect world, we'd mine all the fuel out of the Alberta Tar Sands, *and* mine all the REMs out of the tailing ponds... Where "perfect" means "the Alberta Tar Sands tailing ponds are a cost-effective source of REMs".
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th July 2018, 07:28 PM   #8
Hungry81
Master Poster

Originally Posted by rjh01 View Post
Please read the link and educate yourself.
Well at least I thought I was funny .
Hungry81 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology