IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags !MOD BOX WARNING! , Allais Effect , Dark Flow , relativity , Theory of Relativity

Closed Thread
Old 17th July 2018, 05:37 AM   #3481
halleyscomet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Bjarne View Post
I am saying that:
  1. an observer on earth will see the moon orbiting the earth.
  2. an observer on moon will see the earth orbiting the moon
  3. both relative to the starry sky
  4. both regardless whether the observer (on the north pole) is rotating or not.

The logical point is both cannot be right, - none of these are really orbiting each other.
Both are victims for an illusion
So are many here at the forum too.
Please take the following test and report back:

https://www.123test.com/spatial-reasoning-test/

Your backpedaling and efforts at retconning your comical boner are amusing, but accomplish nothing other than highlight your inability to admit you were wrong to begin with. If you cannot admit you were wrong on this point, it's no wonder you're incapable of letting go of the colossal blunders in your physics themed fan-fiction.
halleyscomet is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 17th July 2018, 05:53 AM   #3482
MRC_Hans
Penultimate Amazing

+/-1 a day or 2 is total irrelavant

BS, the moon is NOT rotating.

BS, the moon is NOT rotating. Soon my pie will begin to boil if you keep saying such nonsense.
I was 7½ when I understood the difference between rotation and orbiting, - I guess that a problem for you to understand the difference right ?
Your pie?

Rotational period of the moon: http://lmgtfy.com/?q=rotational+period+of+the+moon

Otherwise, how do you imagine we always see the same side of the moon?

Hans
Old 17th July 2018, 05:56 AM   #3483
MRC_Hans
Penultimate Amazing

BS
from the pole of the Moon you can always see the Earth, and from here it will indeed look like the Earth is orbiting the Moon, - relative to the starry sky.
Wherever Earth is in sight on the moon, it will always be in sight. Which means on half the surface.

But by now, I assume you are merely trolling. All else would be pure comedy.

Hans
Old 17th July 2018, 06:12 AM   #3484
halleyscomet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by MRC_Hans View Post
Wherever Earth is in sight on the moon, it will always be in sight. Which means on half the surface.

But by now, I assume you are merely trolling. All else would be pure comedy.

Hans
Bjarne's rhetorical style reminds me of this video:

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
halleyscomet is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 17th July 2018, 07:00 AM   #3485
Dr.Sid
Illuminator

But he's right, relative to star sky, ignoring Moon rotation, Earth does 'orbit' Moon. I think he means that from the start, he just failed (till the last post) to explain it properly.
Ignoring any body rotation, they both orbit common center of gravity, and relative to each other the other body 'orbits' the first one. There is no conflict in it, as long as you add 'relative to each other, and ignoring rotation'. The convention is to say lighter body in pair orbits the heavier one, especially when the center of gravity of the system lies under surface of the heavier body, so without adding anything, Moon orbits Earth, period.
But still, relative to Moon, ignoring rotation, in Solar system coordinate system, the Earth does orbit Moon.
Dr.Sid is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 17th July 2018, 07:02 AM   #3486
Dr.Sid
Illuminator

Edit: Duplicate .. for some reason ?

Last edited by Dr.Sid; 17th July 2018 at 07:15 AM.
Dr.Sid is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 17th July 2018, 09:05 AM   #3487
Bjarne
Philosopher

Otherwise, how do you imagine we always see the same side of the moon?

Hans
irrelevant for this context
Bjarne is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 17th July 2018, 09:14 AM   #3488
MRC_Hans
Penultimate Amazing

irrelevant for this context
Explain how the fact that the moon always has the same side towards Earth is irrelevant for the question of whether the moon is rotating.

Hans
Old 17th July 2018, 11:31 AM   #3489
halleyscomet
Penultimate Amazing

Explain how the fact that the moon always has the same side towards Earth is irrelevant for the question of whether the moon is rotating.

Hans
A full deck has 52 cards.

Old 17th July 2018, 01:44 PM   #3490
Reality Check
Penultimate Amazing

Thumbs down A "relative to the starry sky" lie when that is not in his posts until later

You don't know what this mean ""relative to the starry sky"" do you ?
Replies to
17 July 2018 Bjarne: A lie that we would see the Earth orbiting the Moon from the Moon when we would see the Earth at a single position.
with
18 July 2018 Bjarne: A "relative to the starry sky" lie when that is not in his posts until later

No "sky" or "starry" yesterday. We would see the Earth moving against the starry sky because the Earth is in orbit around the Sun. The Earth does not orbit the Moon because it is the heavier body and the barycenter is inside the Earth. The Earth wobbles because of the Moon.
18 July 2018 Bjarne: Ignorance that we see the Earth moving against the stars only because the Moon makes the Earth wobbles (the Earth also orbits the Sun).

We would see the Earth moving against the stars and conclude that it is in orbit around the Sun. We would detect a wobble and conclude that the Earth is not orbiting the Moon.

Last edited by Reality Check; 17th July 2018 at 01:57 PM.
Reality Check is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 17th July 2018, 02:09 PM   #3492
Reality Check
Penultimate Amazing

Even English as a second language cannot excuse this very ignorant statement. But just in case:

Bjarne: Rotating means spinning on an interior axis. If you turn 360 degrees, you are rotating. The Earth rotates to produce day and night.
This is not the same as orbit which is an object being in a path around a central, external axis. If you go on a carousel, you are on an orbit around the center of the carousel. Earth obits around the Sun and so we have years.

The Moon is tidally locked. The Moon presents one face to the Earth. To do that the Moon has to rotate so that face is always toward the Earth. The Moon rotates 360 degrees in each orbit.

The Tidal locking Wikipedia article has a nice graphic showing that the Moon has to rotate to show only one face to the Earth.

Last edited by Reality Check; 17th July 2018 at 02:12 PM.
Reality Check is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 17th July 2018, 03:11 PM   #3493
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

Last person I saw that claimed the moon does not rotate was Nancy Lieder. Just sayin'.

...love and buttercakes...
abaddon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 17th July 2018, 03:32 PM   #3494
halleyscomet
Penultimate Amazing

The Theory of Relativity will begin to fall apart in 2016/2017 - Part II

Originally Posted by abaddon View Post
Last person I saw that claimed the moon does not rotate was Nancy Lieder. Just sayin'.

I looked her up. I was not disappointed. A1, first class nuttery.

https://rationalwiki.org/wiki/ZetaTalk

I wonder how many of her beliefs Bjarne shares.

Wait, could Bjarne be a sock puppet for Nancy?!?!

Nah. From what I’ve read she lacks the patience for a long con like that.

Last edited by halleyscomet; 17th July 2018 at 03:34 PM.
Old 17th July 2018, 06:46 PM   #3495
Dabop
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by halleyscomet View Post

I assume there was supposed to be a /sarcasm tag there at the end....
I seriously doubt there are many that have been on the same wacko idea as long as nancy!

eta
this link no longer works but she apparently did post at the old jref before it even had become jref! (this link came from the old bad astro site and was posted by Phil himself so I have no doubts it did exist at the time)
http://www.randi.org/vbulletin/showt...threadid=17862

I first came across her in 2002, and she had been at zetababble for over 5 years by that stage, and she is STILL at it today....

'When you're born into this world, you're given a ticket to the freak show. If you're born in America you get a front row seat.' George Carlin

Last edited by Dabop; 17th July 2018 at 06:55 PM. Reason: eta
Dabop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 17th July 2018, 10:05 PM   #3496
Bjarne
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Reality Check View Post
Even English as a second language cannot excuse this very ignorant statement. But just in case:

Bjarne: Rotating means spinning on an interior axis. If you turn 360 degrees, you are rotating. The Earth rotates to produce day and night.
This is not the same as orbit which is an object being in a path around a central, external axis. If you go on a carousel, you are on an orbit around the center of the carousel. Earth obits around the Sun and so we have years.

The Moon is tidally locked. The Moon presents one face to the Earth. To do that the Moon has to rotate so that face is always toward the Earth. The Moon rotates 360 degrees in each orbit.

The Tidal locking Wikipedia article has a nice graphic showing that the Moon has to rotate to show only one face to the Earth.
Edited by kmortis:  Removed to comply with Rule 12

Last edited by kmortis; 18th July 2018 at 09:18 AM.
Bjarne is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 17th July 2018, 10:10 PM   #3497
Bjarne
Philosopher

Hans
Rotation of the Earth or the Moon is irrelevant , to decide whether the Moon, - the Earth, - both , - or none of these, - really is / are orbiting each other, - or whether this only is a an apparent illusion.
Old 18th July 2018, 01:48 AM   #3498
MRC_Hans
Penultimate Amazing

Rotation of the Earth or the Moon is irrelevant , to decide whether the Moon, - the Earth, - both , - or none of these, - really is / are orbiting each other, - or whether this only is a an apparent illusion.
Actually, it is not irrelevant. But we don't need to decide. It is an incontrovertible fact that the moon orbits Earth.

Hans
Old 18th July 2018, 05:56 AM   #3499
halleyscomet
Penultimate Amazing

Exclamation In which Bjarne ignorantly insists reality has no impact on perception

That's right ladies and gentlemen. Bjarne is actually claiming discussion of how the Earth and Moon move relative to each other is irrelevant in determining how that motion might look from one body or the other.
Old 18th July 2018, 08:08 AM   #3500
Hellbound
Merchant of Doom

Location: Not in Hell, but I can see it from here on a clear day...
Deleted, double-post

Last edited by Hellbound; 18th July 2018 at 08:11 AM.
Hellbound is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 18th July 2018, 08:09 AM   #3501
Hellbound
Merchant of Doom

Location: Not in Hell, but I can see it from here on a clear day...
Just to be pedantic, the Moon and Earth both rotate around a common CoG. IIRC, that's outside the volume of either the Earth or the Moon.

But if you must pick one to say it's orbiting, the CoG is MUCH closer to the Earth than the Moon.
Hellbound is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 18th July 2018, 08:33 AM   #3502
phunk
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Hellbound View Post
Just to be pedantic, the Moon and Earth both rotate around a common CoG. IIRC, that's outside the volume of either the Earth or the Moon.
It's not outside the Earth, it's within the Earth's mantle.
phunk is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 18th July 2018, 08:36 AM   #3503
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by halleyscomet View Post

Yep, industrial wingnuttery. She even bought a ban on godlikeproductions, which takes some doing. These days, she operates from a Ning site with closed membership. There are not many members.

Nevertheless, the parallels with Bjarnes notions are striking. In Nancy's delusion, planet X was going to swing by earth and cause apocalypse in 2003...errr 2009...err 2012...err some unspecified time in the future. Like Bjarne and his relativity schtick. And like Bjarne, she insisted that the moon does not rotate at all despite all the evidence to the contrary. Boy, that one generated some flame wars. In the end, she mooched off to the Ning site where she operates a walled garden of obscurity for those unhappy few dumb enough to give her the least time. I suspect that Bjarne's ideas will suffer the same fate, isolated to some obscure outpost of the intertubes. There is one key difference though. Nancy has followers.

...love and buttercakes...
abaddon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 18th July 2018, 09:23 AM   #3504
kmortis
Biomechanoid
Director of IDIOCY (Region 13)

Mod InfoThis thread has obtained so much mass, it is starting to effect the space-time continuum. Please use Part III.
Posted By:kmortis
- Aberhaten's Apothegm™ - An Internet law that states that optimism is indistinguishable from sarcasm
kmortis is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Closed Thread

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology