IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 23rd September 2021, 05:47 PM   #1
Gord_in_Toronto
Penultimate Amazing

For those Interested in Rangeomorphs

Science news just in.

It's for all of you who are interested in Rangeomorphs, particularly those which lived between the Cryogenian and the Cambrian Period.

The developmental biology of Charnia and the eumetazoan affinity of the Ediacaran rangeomorphs

https://www.science.org/doi/10.1126/sciadv.abe0291

Quote:
These data bring competing records of early animal evolution into closer agreement, reformulating our understanding of the evolutionary emergence of animal bodyplans.
Old 24th September 2021, 04:48 AM   #2
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

Man, that seems pretty interesting, but contains so many words that I have to look up (four in the title alone; plus "affinity" seems to be used in a strange way; affinity for what?)

Can anyone translate for the layperson?

I gather that this is a very early animal, among the earliest for which we can find fossils.
Old 24th September 2021, 06:25 AM   #3
sphenisc
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Puppycow View Post
Man, that seems pretty interesting, but contains so many words that I have to look up (four in the title alone; plus "affinity" seems to be used in a strange way; affinity for what?)

Can anyone translate for the layperson?

I gather that this is a very early animal, among the earliest for which we can find fossils.
The Eumetazoa are basically what you might call proper animals; they're multicellular, with tissues, and body plans that you can recognise. It doesn't include sponges, which you can shove through a sieve and it'll clump together and carry on as though nothing happened, there's no large scale organisation that's central to staying alive.

The rangeomorphs have something like body plans but not like anything else we see in the fossil record. There's spirals and Charnia's weird branching, etc.

The question of affinity is to do with closeness of relationship. Are rangeomorphs more closely related to sponges and have just found a different way of becoming more organised? Or are they eumetazoans who branched off early, experimenting with alternative ways of having body parts? Or maybe they're not a single group at all and some came from one lineage and some from another? The affinity question is how do they fit into what we already know about the tree of life, which branches are they next to?
Old 24th September 2021, 06:31 AM   #4
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by sphenisc View Post
The Eumetazoa are basically what you might call proper animals; they're multicellular, with tissues, and body plans that you can recognise. It doesn't include sponges, which you can shove through a sieve and it'll clump together and carry on as though nothing happened, there's no large scale organisation that's central to staying alive.

The rangeomorphs have something like body plans but not like anything else we see in the fossil record. There's spirals and Charnia's weird branching, etc.

The question of affinity is to do with closeness of relationship. Are rangeomorphs more closely related to sponges and have just found a different way of becoming more organised? Or are they eumetazoans who branched off early, experimenting with alternative ways of having body parts? Or maybe they're not a single group at all and some came from one lineage and some from another? The affinity question is how do they fit into what we already know about the tree of life, which branches are they next to?
Thanks!
Old 24th September 2021, 06:37 AM   #5
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

I wonder if this species might be an ancestor of ours.
Old 24th September 2021, 06:39 AM   #6
Gord_in_Toronto
Penultimate Amazing

Thanks!
Me too. Thanks sphenisc.

I posted this on the Forum in the firm knowledge that someone would explain it to me.

I love this froup.
Old 24th September 2021, 06:43 AM   #7
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

Who else remembers this:

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
Old 24th September 2021, 07:31 PM   #8
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised

I wonder if this species might be an ancestor of ours.
This seems very unlikely. The Ediacaran biota had body plans that were completely alien to modern forms, and it's difficult to see a line of evolution that could have produced animals with bilateral symmetry and a mouth-gut-anus system. There's not yet any connection between them and the Cambrian fauna, although perhaps one may yet be found. It's not even clear if they were animals. Adolf Seilacher
proposed that they may have been giant multinucleate unicellular protists. If they were animals, they were probably a dead end that died out when a second evolution of animals in the Cambrian period were more successful and drove them to extinction.

I think that they were perhaps one of many "experiments" in multicellullar evolution that didn't pan out until our ancestors evolved.

I used to think that Republicans were just jerks. Now I'm convinced that they're all sick, evil, twisted pieces of [first of George Carlin's seven dirty words].

"Biden's a Commie, like the Rockefellers!" -- some idiot overheard
shemp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th September 2021, 07:16 AM   #9
Gord_in_Toronto
Penultimate Amazing

Who else remembers this:

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
Faintly. Unfortunately, the background music triggers memories of the Monty P Cheese Shop sketch.
Old 26th September 2021, 08:09 AM   #10
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by shemp View Post
This seems very unlikely. The Ediacaran biota had body plans that were completely alien to modern forms, and it's difficult to see a line of evolution that could have produced animals with bilateral symmetry and a mouth-gut-anus system. There's not yet any connection between them and the Cambrian fauna, although perhaps one may yet be found. It's not even clear if they were animals. Adolf Seilacher
proposed that they may have been giant multinucleate unicellular protists. If they were animals, they were probably a dead end that died out when a second evolution of animals in the Cambrian period were more successful and drove them to extinction.

I think that they were perhaps one of many "experiments" in multicellullar evolution that didn't pan out until our ancestors evolved.
Yeah, I suppose that makes sense. We must have had an ancestor though that lived at the same time. I wonder what it looked like.
Old 26th September 2021, 08:20 AM   #11
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Gord_in_Toronto View Post
Faintly. Unfortunately, the background music triggers memories of the Monty P Cheese Shop sketch.
Oh, I rather like it myself. It's Bach. (Gavotte en Rondeau from Partita no. 3)
Old 26th September 2021, 09:27 AM   #12
sphenisc
Philosopher

Yeah, I suppose that makes sense. We must have had an ancestor though that lived at the same time. I wonder what it looked like.
Haikouichthys was around a few million years later, it resembled a modern day lancelet Amphioxus.
Old 26th September 2021, 10:52 AM   #13
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised

Well, we had ancestors around but they may not have been in this line. The Ediacaran biota also evolved from our ancestors, but then perhaps another line evolved that led to us. Our ancestors of that period may have been multicellular too but either left no fossil evidence or it hasn't been found yet.

As for what it looked like, I'd think that it had a mouth/gut/anus system or something on the road to it.

I used to think that Republicans were just jerks. Now I'm convinced that they're all sick, evil, twisted pieces of [first of George Carlin's seven dirty words].

"Biden's a Commie, like the Rockefellers!" -- some idiot overheard
shemp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology