IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 9th October 2021, 11:57 AM   #1
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

H5N6 anyone?

A very nasty version of influenza which has recently caused a spate of deaths in everyone's favourite pandemic breeding-ground, China. https://bnonews.com/index.php/2021/1...h5n6-bird-flu/

The Euro CDC warning is chilling:

Quote:
The additional reports of transmission events to mammals, e.g. seals and a fox as well as seroepidemiological evidence of transmission to wild boar, could indicate evolutionary processes, including mammal adaptation with the possibility to acquire the ability to transmit to humans.
Seems to me the time to start working on a vaccine for that sucker is approximately right now.
Old 9th October 2021, 12:26 PM   #2
Shadowdweller
Graduate Poster

No thanks, I'm good.
Shadowdweller is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th October 2021, 12:45 PM   #3
Venom
Philosopher

Not sure if it was this or another influenza subtype that had like a 50-60 percent fatality rate. That's just insane. But it's killed so few people it's difficult to tell how that would look across millions of cases.
Venom is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th October 2021, 12:47 PM   #4
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Originally Posted by Venom View Post
Not sure if it was this or another influenza subtype that had like a 50-60 percent fatality rate. That's just insane. But it's killed so few people it's difficult to tell how that would look across millions of cases.
It's this one - fatality rate of 48% so far, and most of the rest severely ill.

Given the destruction wrought by Covid, with a measly fatality rate of about 0.6%, even if it dropped to 5%, we'd be looking at a catastrophe of unbelievable proportions.
Old 9th October 2021, 01:43 PM   #5
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Lets not get into a pandemic panic over this one.
► Evolution is "survival of the fittest" - the fittest being those who are stronger, healthier and better adapted. Covid-19 has changed that. The fittest are now the well informed, logical, science believers who listen to the experts and get vaccinated.
If you don't like my posts, opinions, or directness then put me on your ignore list. This will benefit both of us; you won't have to take umbrage at my posts, and I won't have to waste time talking to you... simples!
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th October 2021, 02:21 PM   #6
Venom
Philosopher

Venom is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th October 2021, 02:26 PM   #7
Venom
Philosopher

To be serious though, I don't think it'll be long before one of these outbreaks of influenza or SARS-like diseases hits that sweet spot of virulence and transmissibility, killing frequently enough to give epidemic deniers pause and moderate enough to sustain the spread internationally.
Old 9th October 2021, 02:35 PM   #8
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

To be serious though, I don't think it'll be long before one of these outbreaks of influenza or SARS-like diseases hits that sweet spot of virulence and transmissibility, killing frequently enough to give epidemic deniers pause and moderate enough to sustain the spread internationally.
Hmm, a population of 1.4 billion and a handful of H5N6 cases since 2014? This one doesn’t look the candidate

Sir Winston Churchill
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th October 2021, 02:53 PM   #9
Venom
Philosopher

Originally Posted by lionking View Post
Hmm, a population of 1.4 billion and a handful of H5N6 cases since 2014? This one doesn’t look the candidate
It's probably worth checking up on the old enemy from time to time.
Old 9th October 2021, 03:24 PM   #10
crescent
Illuminator

Eh - 1/3 of those were within the past three months. That's still a very low number, but it's good to know that people are keeping an eye on it.

Quote from the link in the OP:
Quote:
Only 48 people have been infected with H5N6 bird flu since the first confirmed case in 2014, but a third of those were reported in mainland China during the past 3 months alone. Half of all cases were reported during the past 12 months.
Hopefully that's just due to better tracking and monitoring, possibly due to changes made in response to Covid-19.

Last edited by crescent; 9th October 2021 at 03:33 PM.
crescent is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th October 2021, 03:40 PM   #11
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Originally Posted by crescent View Post
Eh - 1/3 of those were within the past three months. That's still a very low number, but it's good to know that people are keeping an eye on it.

Hopefully that's just due to better tracking and monitoring, possibly due to changes made in response to Covid-19.
That’s my point.

Sir Winston Churchill
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th October 2021, 03:42 PM   #12
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

It's probably worth checking up on the old enemy from time to time.
Oh I get that. It will be good to see China jump on this quickly.

Sir Winston Churchill
Old 9th October 2021, 05:20 PM   #13
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

I had the same thought. Sometimes things may appear to be more frequent recently simply because more tests are being done lately than in the past.
Old 9th October 2021, 10:38 PM   #14
crescent
Illuminator

That’s my point.
I remember when there was only a very low number of Covid fatalities. 600k later in the U.S. and millions worldwide less than two years later.

It's not a thing to panic over, but its clearly an important and necessary thing to study and understand, the sort of thing that might benefit from having some updated contingency planning.

I mean, its less the overall numbers than it is the recent uptick.
crescent is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th October 2021, 02:35 AM   #15
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

I remember when there was only a very low number of Covid fatalities.
When I started the first Covid thread, the death total was under 20.

It's not a thing to panic over, but its clearly an important and necessary thing to study and understand, the sort of thing that might benefit from having some updated contingency planning.

I mean, its less the overall numbers than it is the recent uptick.
Nailed.
Old 10th October 2021, 02:41 AM   #16
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

Originally Posted by The Atheist View Post
A very nasty version of influenza which has recently caused a spate of deaths in everyone's favourite pandemic breeding-ground, China. https://bnonews.com/index.php/2021/1...h5n6-bird-flu/

The Euro CDC warning is chilling:

Seems to me the time to start working on a vaccine for that sucker is approximately right now.
The first SARS was very deadly too. It was easy to identify those infected and like Ebola, if it's too deadly, it can't spread easily.
I will have my flu shot next year like I always do.
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th October 2021, 11:34 AM   #17
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Originally Posted by a_unique_person View Post
The first SARS was very deadly too. It was easy to identify those infected and like Ebola, if it's too deadly, it can't spread easily.
That's not necessarily correct, particularly in the case of zoonotic jumps. The virus evolved to what it is - how it interacts with humans follows no blueprint. We got lucky with Covid in that it's not that deadly. A lot worse than 'flu, but no Captain Trips. MERS is much worse than either Covid or SARS.

I bet Stephen King has a wry smile every time a virus of that level of harm is discovered.

Originally Posted by a_unique_person View Post
I will have my flu shot next year like I always do.
Wouldn't help you if H5N6 did break loose.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology