IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Australia issues , Australia politics

Old 14th April 2019, 05:38 PM   #361
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena
Pronouns: he/him

The bogongs are disappearing.
Old 19th April 2019, 09:39 PM   #362
novaphile
Quester of Doglets

Old 13th June 2019, 05:02 PM   #363
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

'Entrenched secrecy' among police when it comes to tracking illicit guns, says expert

Quote:
How did the accused Darwin gunman, parolee Ben Hoffmann, get his hands on a shotgun and allegedly kill four people?

Likely with relative ease according to the public health professor behind the world's largest catalogue of evidence on gun violence, firearm law and gun control.

The 12-gauge pump action shotgun was seized at the time of Hoffman's arrest, and police later confirmed its serial number matched a weapon stolen in 1997.

That scenario a long-armed illicit firearm being used in violent crime fits the profile of gun violence in Australia, according to Associate Professor Philip Alpers from the University of Sydney's GunPolicy.org.

"The problem is that we still have what's called the 'grey market', which was created by so-called law-abiding firearm owners when a law came in that they couldn't abide, and they decided to hide their guns or just not to declare them back in 1996-1997," Dr Alpers said.

"So we now have a grey market of more than 200,000 firearms of mainly long guns (shotguns and rifles) which are illegal and not necessarily being kept deliberately for crime, but just sitting in people's sheds and houses and so on, waiting to be stolen like this one in the NT."
Old 6th April 2021, 11:41 PM   #364
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

It's been a while, but...

John Edwards, who shot dead two children, should not have had gun license, coroner finds

Quote:
A "wholly inadequate" NSW Firearms Registry failed to perform its key responsibility when it granted gun licenses to John Edwards, who shot dead his two children, a coroner has found.

Jack and Jennifer Edwards were killed by the 67-year-old in July 2018, after he stalked his daughter to the West Pennant Hills home they shared with their mother Olga Edwards.

Five months later, their grieving mother took her own life.

NSW Coroner Teresa O'Sullivan today made 24 recommendations in a report running to more than 270 pages.

Ms O'Sullivan said to describe the deaths as a tragedy would be to "import a sense of inevitability."

"The evidence before this court plainly reveals that the deaths of Jack and Jennifer were preventable."
Old 7th April 2021, 12:30 AM   #365
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

You know, sometimes I like to read back through this whole thread, just to see how my opinions and attitudes have changed over time. For example, I am no longer strictly opposed to silencers, largely due to arguments presented in this thread.
Old 7th April 2021, 02:45 AM   #366
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

In the UK you are expected to have silencers as they are seen as a health and safety benefit.
If you don't mention them when applying for a FAC the firsts time they will recommend you obtain them to help protect both your own and others hearing.

Silencers aren't controlled anyway.
Captain_Swoop is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th April 2021, 05:31 AM   #367
SuburbanTurkey
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
In the UK you are expected to have silencers as they are seen as a health and safety benefit.
If you don't mention them when applying for a FAC the firsts time they will recommend you obtain them to help protect both your own and others hearing.

Silencers aren't controlled anyway.
In a parallel universe, gun nuts are grumbling about nanny-government libs for requiring the use of silencers as a health and safety measure.
Old 7th April 2021, 12:39 PM   #368
catsmate
No longer the 1

I have suppressors for rifles and pistol. Here they're controlled but a relatively easy addition.
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th April 2021, 12:47 PM   #369
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by catsmate View Post
I have suppressors for rifles and pistol. Here they're controlled but a relatively easy addition.
Are you sure they are controlled in the UK?

I can buy a suppressor and I don't have a FAC anymore.

Putting one on your firearms would need to be noted on the FAC though.
Captain_Swoop is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th April 2021, 05:11 PM   #370
Ranb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post
In a parallel universe, gun nuts are grumbling about nanny-government libs for requiring the use of silencers as a health and safety measure.
In this universe, on the gun form, www.thefirearmsforum.comm, I was banned for objecting to a forum member calling me a criminal for promoting silencer use.

A member on jref forum implied I was engaging in criminal activity when I asked for advice on my silencer video, but I was able to avoid a ban as his libel was acceptable in the eyes of the forum admins and I gave up trying to tell them otherwise.

Last edited by Ranb; 7th April 2021 at 05:14 PM.
Ranb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th April 2021, 05:57 PM   #371
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Originally Posted by Ranb View Post
In this universe, on the gun form, www.thefirearmsforum.comm, I was banned for objecting to a forum member calling me a criminal for promoting silencer use.

A member on jref forum implied I was engaging in criminal activity when I asked for advice on my silencer video, but I was able to avoid a ban as his libel was acceptable in the eyes of the forum admins and I gave up trying to tell them otherwise.
Yeah, I'm pretty sure that was me. I also questioned your modification of a magazine, and my opinions on both of those subjects has evolved as well.

For the record, I completely withdraw any accusation of criminal behaviour on your part. I'm pretty sure you have me on ignore, so if this withdrawal might kindly be passed on by someone else?
Old 8th April 2021, 01:01 AM   #372
cullennz
Suspended

Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
You know, sometimes I like to read back through this whole thread, just to see how my opinions and attitudes have changed over time. For example, I am no longer strictly opposed to silencers, largely due to arguments presented in this thread.
Lol

I know what you mean.

I do that as well.
cullennz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th April 2021, 01:07 AM   #373
cullennz
Suspended

Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
Yeah, I'm pretty sure that was me. I also questioned your modification of a magazine, and my opinions on both of those subjects has evolved as well.

For the record, I completely withdraw any accusation of criminal behaviour on your part. I'm pretty sure you have me on ignore, so if this withdrawal might kindly be passed on by someone else?
Message pass to RanB, who may have me on ignore as well, which may mean it is pointless.
cullennz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th April 2021, 03:31 AM   #374
catsmate
No longer the 1

Are you sure they are controlled in the UK?

I can buy a suppressor and I don't have a FAC anymore.

Putting one on your firearms would need to be noted on the FAC though.
I'm not in the UK remember. Ireland, War of Independence, et cetera.....

Here they (as well as weapon mountable night vision sights) are classed as firearms and listed on the license as separate items, though they're signed off on as a group usually.
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th April 2021, 03:39 AM   #375
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by catsmate View Post
I'm not in the UK remember. Ireland, War of Independence, et cetera.....

Here they (as well as weapon mountable night vision sights) are classed as firearms and listed on the license as separate items, though they're signed off on as a group usually.
Sorry yes, I forgot your location, I was confusing you with a different member.
Old 8th April 2021, 03:45 AM   #376
catsmate
No longer the 1

Sorry yes, I forgot your location, I was confusing you with a different member.
Don't worry, it happens.
Old 8th April 2021, 11:46 AM   #377
Ranb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by cullennz View Post
Message pass to RanB, who may have me on ignore as well, which may mean it is pointless.
It is Crossbow who substitutes underlining claims for actual facts and insults people who object to his claims.
Ranb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st April 2021, 05:21 PM   #378
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Something's going on in Launceston.

Man shot while checking on car at night in Launceston

Quote:
A man has been shot after confronting two people near his car at night the 11th gun-related incident in Launceston in the past seven weeks.

The Invermay shooting is the 11th in seven weeks involving firearms
Tasmania Police said in the early hours of Thursday a 52-year-old man walked out of his house to his parked car in the Launceston suburb of Invermay when he discovered two men near his vehicle.

Police say he was shot after confronting them, suffering serious injuries.

The man was taken to the Launceston General Hospital in a serious but stable condition.

Police said they are searching for two men who were acting suspiciously on Mayne street in Invermay around 1:30am.
Old 23rd May 2021, 11:03 PM   #379
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Wayne Yanko pleads not guilty to weapons offences over alleged interstate trafficking scheme

Quote:
A man accused of trafficking dozens of high-powered guns across state borders and selling them to alleged criminals on the black market for a significant profit has pleaded not guilty to weapons offences.

Wayne Yanko is on trial in the Brisbane District Court facing four counts of the cross-border offence of acquisition of a firearm.

It is the first time the offence has been prosecuted in Queensland.
Worryingly...

Quote:
Mr Crowley told the court that, of the guns that were sold, police had since tracked down five of them during raids at properties in Western Australia, but the remainder had "disappeared off the grid".

"The police don't know what happened to at least 82," he said.
Old 17th August 2021, 06:02 PM   #380
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

This just happened half an hour's walk from my place.

One injured in shooting at Belconnen
Old 11th October 2021, 07:23 PM   #381
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Firearm laws must change to protect farm workers and others, says pastoralist

Quote:
A pastoralist has vowed to change firearm laws across Australia in a bid to end the reckless behaviour of some shooters that has left his workers and stock in fear for their lives.

In the 26 years he has owned Mundabullangana Station, about 100 kilometres south of Port Hedland, Michael Thompson has grappled many times with trespassers using his land to hunt.

The cattle producer estimates trespassers have cost him more than $250,000 in financial damages, including fence repairs, broken locks and other infrastructure costs over the past decade.

This year, however, Mr Thompson says it is the worst he has ever seen, with more instances of trespassing and firearm use without permission taking place on and damaging his property.

He says he hasn't lost staff, but there have been some close calls, with guns being fired near workers while they worked with cattle...

...A culture of guns and violence is not a topic Australia is usually associated with, however new statistics show it could be a deeper issue.

In 2019, the NSW Firearms registry recorded 239,963 licence holders and more than 880,000 registered firearms.

Accounting for firearms and people in NSW, that's roughly 10 per cent of the total population.

Until now, firearm-related violence has not been extensively studied in Australia, but the University of Sydney has changed that.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events