IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 8th October 2021, 08:49 PM   #41
Venom
Philosopher

Originally Posted by CaptainHowdy View Post
Did you get both the flu shot and the pneumonia shot this year? Or just the flu shot?
Flu shot in January. Don't know what kind of "pneumonia" you mean. If you mean the COVID-19 shot I did get it. But trying to compare influenza to any of the major coronavirus diseases is ridiculous in any case.
Venom is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th October 2021, 06:49 AM   #42
catsmate
No longer the 1

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
Will DCL for money. Also Datatrieve.
Ahhh, I wrote a beginners guide to VMS and DCL at college.
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th October 2021, 08:33 AM   #43
sackett
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Venom View Post
Flu shot in January. Don't know what kind of "pneumonia" you mean. If you mean the COVID-19 shot I did get it. But trying to compare influenza to any of the major coronavirus diseases is ridiculous in any case.
There is and has been for some time a vaccine against pneumonia. Ask your doctor about it.

And don't put pneumonia in scare quotes. It's scary enough by itself.

If you would ruin a man's character, let him seize power.
sackett is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th October 2021, 04:14 AM   #44
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

It's old technology??

OMG!!! I used to service and repair those bloody things!!!

That one looks like its got DEC VT-100 "dumb" terminals... used to repair those as well!!
► Evolution is "survival of the fittest" - the fittest being those who are stronger, healthier and better adapted. Covid-19 has changed that. The fittest are now the well informed, logical, science believers who listen to the experts and get vaccinated.
If you don't like my posts, opinions, or directness then put me on your ignore list. This will benefit both of us; you won't have to take umbrage at my posts, and I won't have to waste time talking to you... simples!
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th October 2021, 08:54 AM   #45
Venom
Philosopher

Originally Posted by sackett View Post
There is and has been for some time a vaccine against pneumonia. Ask your doctor about it.

And don't put pneumonia in scare quotes. It's scary enough by itself.
pneumonia is a lung infection with a set of shared symptoms by almost any pathogen. i didn't know what exactly
Venom is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th October 2021, 09:31 AM   #46
dann
Penultimate Amazing

Pneumococcal Vaccination: What Everyone Should Know (CDC)
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th October 2021, 09:46 AM   #47
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Venom View Post
pneumonia is a lung infection with a set of shared symptoms by almost any pathogen. i didn't know what exactly
Having twice been that soldier, it ain't pretty.

...love and buttercakes...
abaddon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th October 2021, 12:18 PM   #48
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by 8enotto View Post
Leftus, the military did that to another whole group of young soldiers in the mid 80's. I was one. Beta testing on people obligated to comply. Not good. So glad I never left the states while in service. That was another round of fun.

It does make new medical breakthroughs a bit scarier.
I got a whole range of vaxes when I joined, including Cholera, Smallpox, Rabies, Typhoid, Yellow Fever and some others I can't recall.
► Evolution is "survival of the fittest" - the fittest being those who are stronger, healthier and better adapted. Covid-19 has changed that. The fittest are now the well informed, logical, science believers who listen to the experts and get vaccinated.
If you don't like my posts, opinions, or directness then put me on your ignore list. This will benefit both of us; you won't have to take umbrage at my posts, and I won't have to waste time talking to you... simples!
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th October 2021, 02:42 PM   #49
Nosi
Master Poster

Angry

Originally Posted by catsmate View Post
A VMS joke, I like it.

In answer to the OP: of course not, fully vaccinated, and because I have a working brain and a lack of belief in nuttery.
Same here. I was vaccinated in April for Covid and in August for the flu. The antivaxxers are literally breaking the hospital system here in the USA, and they're doing it for political, not medical reasons. I consider the Republican Party little more than a death cult, at least the extreme right wing of it.

Hiding from the
Nosi is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th October 2021, 02:54 PM   #50
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

I was vaccinated this spring and am piseed off I wan not magnitized and did not get all those cool powers Magneto has in the X men movies.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th October 2021, 04:05 PM   #51
Fidelio
Muse

It does take some time to develop. Try sticking brass keys or plastic spoons to yourself. This high tech magnetism is crafty.
.. The stars were suns, but so far away they were just little points of light ... The scale of the universe suddenly opened up to me. It was a kind of religious experience. There was a magnificence to it, a grandeur, a scale which has never left me. Never ever left me.
Carl Sagan
Fidelio is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th October 2021, 04:24 PM   #52
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
OMG!!! I used to service and repair those bloody things!!!

That one looks like its got DEC VT-100 "dumb" terminals... used to repair those as well!!
I used to program them. And the PDP's that preceded these.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornetsí nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th October 2021, 09:14 PM   #53
8enotto
Master Poster

I got a whole range of vaxes when I joined, including Cholera, Smallpox, Rabies, Typhoid, Yellow Fever and some others I can't recall.
I still have my military shot records thing somewhere. It was quite the shopping list of diseases on it.

I never asked what they were because it didn't matter when they said we were getting it anyway..

The guys that went overseas got another round of stuff before they shipped out. I suppose it was good preventative measure but I was already a bit punchy about seeing any military medical staff a year in.
I always seemed to get some nurse trainee on his 2nd day actually with people. Not good. It
8enotto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th October 2021, 09:38 PM   #54
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

I used to program them. And the PDP's that preceded these.
You have my sincere condolences!
Old 11th October 2021, 05:22 PM   #55
Carlotta
Muse

As for the pneumonia vax, my doctor asked me if I'd gotten it, checked notes, and said "oh, you're not 65 yet, never mind." She doesn't necessarily tell everyone about it.

Last edited by Carlotta; 11th October 2021 at 05:24 PM. Reason: Wrong space next to punctuation. I don't want to look like the folks who do that!
Carlotta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th October 2021, 09:49 PM   #56
Nosi
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Carlotta View Post
As for the pneumonia vax, my doctor asked me if I'd gotten it, checked notes, and said "oh, you're not 65 yet, never mind." She doesn't necessarily tell everyone about it.
I got the pneumonia vaccine due to the fact that I have had MRSA pneumonia sepsis and nearly died, and I am not due to get it again until I'm 65.

Hiding from the
Nosi is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th October 2021, 10:08 PM   #57
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

You have my sincere condolences!
TECO!
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornetsí nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th October 2021, 11:12 PM   #58
Hlafordlaes
Disorder of Kilopi

Originally Posted by CaptainHowdy View Post
That is the proper attitude to have. If you're vaccinated and your vaccine is effective, the unvaccinated won't concern you. You will feel the same way about them that you feel about people who refuse annual flu shots.
The unvaccinated and mask-wary are largely the same demographic, making them an immediate threat during a deadly pandemic, even for the vaccinated, as they in turn may have under their care those who cannot be, yet would infect them even with a low level case of Covid. This justifies reasonable self-defense measures, such as barring Republicans contagious and untutored savages from coming within 100 yards of anyone else. A permanent tour of duty in an Antarctic cave might be just the thing for those who don't know what germs are and keep ignorantly spreading them around.

Last edited by Hlafordlaes; 11th October 2021 at 11:14 PM.
Hlafordlaes is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events