IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags New Hampshire incidents

Old 11th October 2021, 06:19 AM   #1
Finster
Graduate Poster

Mysterious “Boom” in NH

https://www.wmur.com/article/people-...aking/37919353

We felt/heard it yesterday morning. Didn’t give it much thought but saw the news reports later. Assuming it wasn’t aliens or subterranean attack it seems like an earthquake is the most likely. Minor quakes are not uncommon in NH but it is a little odd none of the organizations that monitor earthquakes registered anything. There is an old test range a couple of towns over and old munitions have exploded before but it seems like a ground level explosion big enough to impact that large an area would have been noticed. I suppose it could be unofficial military aircraft but that seems unlikely. Wonder if there will ever be a definitive answer.
Old 11th October 2021, 06:31 AM   #2
dann
Penultimate Amazing

Unconfirmed earthquake or seismic-like event: Cheshire County, 25 mi west of Nashua, Hillsborough County, New Hampshire, USA, Oct 10, 2021 11:24 am (GMT -4) - 22 hours ago (Volcano Discovery)
(Shouldn't this be in Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology?)
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx

Last edited by dann; 11th October 2021 at 06:33 AM.
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th October 2021, 06:39 AM   #3
Finster
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by dann View Post
Wasn’t sure where to put it but being talked about in local papers so went for current event. If someone wants to move it that’s fine.
Old 11th October 2021, 06:57 AM   #4
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Semi-serious question: Do earthquakes themselves make noise?
Old 11th October 2021, 07:08 AM   #5
Finster
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post
Semi-serious question: Do earthquakes themselves make noise?
Never thought about it, I just assumed, but apparently yes - sometimes

“Small shallow earthquakes sometimes produce rumbling sounds or booms” -

https://www.usgs.gov/natural-hazards...center_objects
Old 11th October 2021, 07:18 AM   #6
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised

I'm in southeastern NH and I didn't hear or feel anything. Of course, I was into my third Bloody Mary by 11:24 so that may have something to do with it.

I used to think that Republicans were just jerks. Now I'm convinced that they're all sick, evil, twisted pieces of [first of George Carlin's seven dirty words].

"Biden's a Commie, like the Rockefellers!" -- some idiot overheard
shemp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th October 2021, 07:19 AM   #7
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Paul Lekakis?
Old 11th October 2021, 07:21 AM   #8
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

This is one of those weird, almost cliche "Mysterious Things" that just keeps popping up every few years.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skyquake

"Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is paid." - Valery Legasov
JoeMorgue is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th October 2021, 09:21 AM   #9
Wolrab
Illuminator

Sonic booms? Upstate NY has bases.
"Such reports are usually based on the sighting of something the sighters cannot explain and that they (or someone else on their behalf) explain as representing an interstellar spaceship-often by saying "But what else can it be?" as though thier own ignorance is a decisive factor." Isaac Asimov
Wolrab is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th October 2021, 09:23 AM   #10
ZirconBlue
Sole Survivor of L-Town

It was supposed to be an Earth-shattering Ka-Boom!
The numbers look the same on their credit cards.
ZirconBlue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th October 2021, 10:21 AM   #11
Mike!
Official Ponylandistanian National Treasure. Respect it!

Location: Ponylandistan! Where the bacon grows on trees! Can it get any better than that? I submit it can not!
Originally Posted by ZirconBlue View Post
It was supposed to be an Earth-shattering Ka-Boom!
It was a dud because Bugs took the Illudium Q-36 Explosive Space Modulator when Marvin wasn't looking. Happens all the time.
Old 11th October 2021, 01:40 PM   #12
Gord_in_Toronto
Penultimate Amazing

Mysterious boom? New Hampshire? Are the sales of Burdick Chocolate Mice up?
Old 11th October 2021, 02:21 PM   #13
Apathia
Philosopher

I was in Eldorado County, CA for the Pleasant Valley "Booms." Cause never identified, of course.

"Humans aren't rational creatures but rationalizing creatures."
Author Unknown
Apathia is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th October 2021, 02:25 PM   #14
Apathia
Philosopher

It was the Coronal Mass Ejection, or if not that another Q-head exploding.

"Humans aren't rational creatures but rationalizing creatures."
Author Unknown
Apathia is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th October 2021, 03:26 PM   #15
Steve
Philosopher

Originally Posted by shemp View Post
I'm in southeastern NH and I didn't hear or feel anything. Of course, I was into my third Bloody Mary by 11:24 so that may have something to do with it.
Bloody Marys normally make no noise.
Old 11th October 2021, 04:21 PM   #16
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

In April and May 2018 there was a rash of similarly mysterious powerful "booms" heard and felt over a two-county area in southeastern Pennsylvania, for which no reasonable source could be found initially. In that case they kept happening, and eventually even the FBI joined the more local authorities in trying to figure out what was going on.

It turned out to be a guy who had been building and setting off bombs in a rural area. Big ones. Enormous, in fact. Police started to close in on a suspect when a patrol finally came across the first piece of physical evidence, a backroad with a literal crater in it. The man was eventually identified, arrested, and charged with possession of weapons of mass destruction (not a joke or exaggeration) and he was finally sentenced earlier this year.
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th October 2021, 05:23 PM   #17
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised

Originally Posted by Steve View Post
Bloody Marys normally make no noise.
OK you got me. It was the kielbasa and beans I had for breakfast. Blew the outhouse apart.

I used to think that Republicans were just jerks. Now I'm convinced that they're all sick, evil, twisted pieces of [first of George Carlin's seven dirty words].

"Biden's a Commie, like the Rockefellers!" -- some idiot overheard
shemp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th October 2021, 06:00 PM   #18
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena
Pronouns: he/him

Random unknown bangs are a running joke in my local community Facebook group.
Old 11th October 2021, 07:06 PM   #19
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Bangs are not currently fashionable for ladies. Younger men can get away with them, depending on length and fluffiness.
Old 11th October 2021, 08:00 PM   #20
Myriad
The Clarity Is Devastating

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
Bangs are not currently fashionable for ladies. Younger men can get away with them, depending on length and fluffiness.

Hypothetically, how long and/or fluffy does the younger man have to be?
Old 11th October 2021, 08:08 PM   #21
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by Myriad View Post
Hypothetically, how long and/or fluffy does the younger man have to be?
We do not joke about coiffure. Ever. It is a serious subject. I believe 87% of the world's problems would be solved if people were more sensible about their hair style. The trick is to find one that suits you, not one that looks great on somebody else. These things matter, people! They matter so much more than most of what people think is important!! I could lead humanity to a glorious destiny if only they'd listen to me about hair.
Old 12th October 2021, 04:28 AM   #22
cow_cat
Mr. Parodied

Mysterious boom in New Hampshire? Sounds like somebody lived free, then died.

Used to have another username, but I hated it.
cow_cat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th October 2021, 04:42 AM   #23
SuburbanTurkey
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Checkmite View Post
In April and May 2018 there was a rash of similarly mysterious powerful "booms" heard and felt over a two-county area in southeastern Pennsylvania, for which no reasonable source could be found initially. In that case they kept happening, and eventually even the FBI joined the more local authorities in trying to figure out what was going on.

It turned out to be a guy who had been building and setting off bombs in a rural area. Big ones. Enormous, in fact. Police started to close in on a suspect when a patrol finally came across the first piece of physical evidence, a backroad with a literal crater in it. The man was eventually identified, arrested, and charged with possession of weapons of mass destruction (not a joke or exaggeration) and he was finally sentenced earlier this year.
That would be my guess as a likely answer in this case as well.

Not too long ago some idiot in NH got arrested for deploying an improvised explosive device gender reveal novelty explosive that weighed 80 lbs and could be heard for miles.

https://www.wmur.com/article/kingsto...ssued/37283770

I'm guessing a lot of people are playing with tannerite and guns up in the Live Free state. Assuming they don't make explosives so large they start cracking people's foundations like the case I cited, they'll probably get away with it.

Last edited by SuburbanTurkey; 12th October 2021 at 04:45 AM.
SuburbanTurkey is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th October 2021, 05:03 AM   #24
Finster
Graduate Poster

"Scientists said the sound was likely a sonic boom caused by a meteor that entered the atmosphere at supersonic speed and then quickly burned up."

"The Earth is always passing through this sort of dust of sporadic meteoroids," said Ryan Volz, of the Massachusetts Institute of Technology. "And mostly, they're very small, dust-sized particles, and they're creating meteor events that no one notices except scientists that try and look for them. But sometimes, you get these bigger meteoroids, and they create something that everybody notices."

https://www.wmur.com/article/loud-bo...eteor/37929355

https://www.unionleader.com/news/hum..._medium=social

The National Weather service in Maine also picked up a bright flash and no lightning in the area which supports the meteor theory.

Last edited by Finster; 12th October 2021 at 05:13 AM.
Finster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th October 2021, 02:00 PM   #25
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Finster View Post
"Scientists said the sound was likely a sonic boom caused by a meteor that entered the atmosphere at supersonic speed and then quickly burned up."

"The Earth is always passing through this sort of dust of sporadic meteoroids," said Ryan Volz, of the Massachusetts Institute of Technology. "And mostly, they're very small, dust-sized particles, and they're creating meteor events that no one notices except scientists that try and look for them. But sometimes, you get these bigger meteoroids, and they create something that everybody notices."

https://www.wmur.com/article/loud-bo...eteor/37929355

https://www.unionleader.com/news/hum..._medium=social

The National Weather service in Maine also picked up a bright flash and no lightning in the area which supports the meteor theory.
Ever read a HP Lovecraft story called "The Color Out Of Space" which is set in New England...........

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th October 2021, 02:04 PM   #26
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
Ever read a HP Lovecraft story called "The Color Out Of Space" which is set in New England...........
The aliens landed in Lovecraft's New England, met the residents, and decided to leave because they were just too unpleasantly racist. "You know, on Mars they don't judge us for the color of our mysterious congeries of irridescent Cyclopean spheres," they said, summoning a huff and leaving in it. Earth has absolutely terrible Tripadvisor reviews.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events