IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 13th October 2021, 04:17 PM   #481
trustbutverify
Philosopher

Originally Posted by plague311 View Post
I'm trying to properly clarify this and I can't really seem to find the words. I was kind of saying like, someone else admits to it, or they find someone hiding out in the area, etc. They did find another body down there, but I don't think it was the same cause of death.
I understand your point, and I agree. Even though you'd acquit given the current case, I'd guess you'd agree it would be a tough call.
trustbutverify is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th October 2021, 05:19 PM   #482
autumn1971
Illuminator

I just want to point out that three days is not a big chore to cross the country.

I also think that the evidence points to the guy being guilty, but wanting to get home and accomplishing it in 72 hours is no great feat.
'A knave; a rascal; an eater of broken meats; a base, proud, shallow, beggardly, three-suited, hundred-pound, filthy, worsted-stocking knave; a lily-livered, action-taking knave, a whoreson, glass-gazing, superservicable, finical rogue;... the son and heir of a mongral bitch: one whom I will beat into clamorous whining, if thou deniest the least syllable of thy addition."'
-The Bard
autumn1971 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th October 2021, 05:43 PM   #483
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by autumn1971 View Post
I just want to point out that three days is not a big chore to cross the country.

I also think that the evidence points to the guy being guilty, but wanting to get home and accomplishing it in 72 hours is no great feat.
In absolute terms, no. But it's still a pain in the ass to do it that fast, and you do have to push pretty hard.

Source: Ms TP did it in just over a week in her 20s, with no reason to dawdle and no funds for extra hotel sleepovers. Lots of sleeping in the car, lots of driving through the night, and it still took over five days.

---

From a certain point of view, taking into account total global wealth, industrial capacity, and technical know how, putting someone on the moon ain't no thing. But in practical terms, it's still a royal pain and not usually worth doing.

Last edited by theprestige; 13th October 2021 at 05:50 PM.
theprestige is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th October 2021, 06:30 PM   #484
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

Originally Posted by LondonJohn View Post
Yes. And in this case, a further problem for any potential prosecution would be wrt the "If not him, then who?" question. After all, since any potential jurors would already know that she's been a victim of homicide, they will be invited - either explicitly or implicitly - to consider that question.

When a homicide occurs inside a house with only two people living in it (the victim and the accused), this question alone can often lead to the answer "it must have been the accused", and this answer can sometimes be sufficient in and of itself to gain a safe conviction.

But in the OP case here, it's a very different situation. Whatever happened to the victim took place in the middle of nowhere. And plenty of strange/transient/loner/etc people find themselves in the middle of nowhere, sometimes with less-than-pure motives, and in the near-total absence of any surveillance. So in the absence of any forensic evidence linking Laundrie to her death, I think it'd be pretty easy for any potential defence lawyer to argue that if one accepts the premise that the two of them split up at some point, it's perfectly feasible that she only subsequently encountered her killer (maybe after she resorted to hitch-hiking?).
The problem with that defense would be the video, accidentally captured unwittingly by a travel vlogger driving through Bridger-Teton National Forest on August 27 that shows Petito's van parked by the side of the road at the Spread Creek Dispersed Camping Area, where Petito's body was found. The totality of the witness statements so far place the van in the National Forest - with a lone male driver - on the 26th, and parked at that location on both the 27th and 28th. Laundrie then arrived in the same van in Florida on the 1st, so the van was positively in his possession at this time. That leaves the jury with the alternate scenario that the couple broke up in Moab after their argument on August 12th and Petito began "hitchhiking" on her own, only to eventually wind up killed (or at least her body dumped) at a random spot hundreds of miles away and, purely by coincidence, at the same time as and only a couple hundred yards from the spot where Laundrie's van was seen parked.
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th October 2021, 06:31 PM   #485
RecoveringYuppy
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by autumn1971 View Post
I just want to point out that three days is not a big chore to cross the country..
Why has this become an issue?
RecoveringYuppy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th October 2021, 06:34 PM   #486
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Petito was hitchhiking the same route home that her estranged partner was traveling. It's not surprising that their itineraries overlapped. It's also not evidence of murder.

Last edited by theprestige; 13th October 2021 at 06:36 PM.
theprestige is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th October 2021, 06:40 PM   #487
Checkmite

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
Petito was hitchhiking the same route home that her estranged partner was traveling. It's no coincidence that their itinerary overlapped.

Petito's and Laundries' homes were in Florida, a southeasterly trip from Moab. Bridger-Teton National Forest is over 350 miles north.
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th October 2021, 06:41 PM   #488
RecoveringYuppy
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Checkmite View Post
Petito's and Laundries' homes were in Florida, a southeasterly trip from Moab. Bridger-Teton National Forest is over 350 miles north.
And why is this an issue?

Not seeing any new news that makes sense of the recent posts.
RecoveringYuppy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th October 2021, 06:42 PM   #489
eerok
Quixoticist

Petito was hitchhiking the same route home that her estranged partner was traveling. It's not surprising that their itineraries overlapped. It's also not evidence of murder.
When was Petito hitchhiking?
Old 13th October 2021, 08:04 PM   #490
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

Who said Petito was ever hitchhiking? She had her van -- until she didn't. Laundrie was reported to have hitchhiked.
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th October 2021, 08:44 PM   #491
webfusion
Philosopher

He is hiding in a bunker under the flower garden at his mom's house.

She is providing him with supplies.

https://www.tiktok.com/@charlienovas...27054796655878
webfusion is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th October 2021, 09:30 PM   #492
Checkmite

Originally Posted by webfusion View Post
He is hiding in a bunker under the flower garden at his mom's house.

She is providing him with supplies.

https://www.tiktok.com/@charlienovas...27054796655878
I don't understand what I'm supposed to be seeing in that video clip.
Old 13th October 2021, 11:17 PM   #493
DevilsAdvocate
Philosopher

The van and body were on a forest road that is a dead end. It does not go anywhere.
Old 13th October 2021, 11:45 PM   #494
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

..... I think it'd be pretty easy for any potential defence lawyer to argue that if one accepts the premise that the two of them split up at some point, it's perfectly feasible that she only subsequently encountered her killer (maybe after she resorted to hitch-hiking?).
I just note that it's already well-established that the van was hers, registered in her name. Any claim he makes about them splitting up has to explain why he's got her car while she's abandoned in the deep woods. If she had been last seen at a motel or bus station or airport, he might make it sound plausible; but not with what we know now.
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th October 2021, 04:44 AM   #495
Mike!
Official Ponylandistanian National Treasure. Respect it!

Location: Ponylandistan! Where the bacon grows on trees! Can it get any better than that? I submit it can not!
I don't understand what I'm supposed to be seeing in that video clip.
It appears the person in blue with the white hat is placing something on the ground, right on the edge the area that looks like dirt, then a "hand" seems to reach out from under the edge and take whatever was placed there.

The implication being there's a bunker/bomb shelter on the parents property he is hiding in, and his mom is supplying him food there.
Old 14th October 2021, 05:43 AM   #496
LondonJohn
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post
I just note that it's already well-established that the van was hers, registered in her name. Any claim he makes about them splitting up has to explain why he's got her car while she's abandoned in the deep woods. If she had been last seen at a motel or bus station or airport, he might make it sound plausible; but not with what we know now.

But - and I'm strictly playing Devil's Advocate here - couldn't he and his lawyers construct a scenario along the lines of: they had a huge argument while they were parked up somewhere at night, in the course of which he physically assaulted her; she stumbled off into the darkness to escape him; he waited until daybreak for her to come back; she didn't reappear; he panicked thinking that if she'd got lost and died, he'd be blamed on account of his assault on her; he therefore drove off in the van; she subsequently encountered somebody who killed her.
LondonJohn is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th October 2021, 06:28 AM   #497
I Am The Scum
Illuminator

But - and I'm strictly playing Devil's Advocate here - couldn't he and his lawyers construct a scenario along the lines of: they had a huge argument while they were parked up somewhere at night, in the course of which he physically assaulted her; she stumbled off into the darkness to escape him; he waited until daybreak for her to come back; she didn't reappear; he panicked thinking that if she'd got lost and died, he'd be blamed on account of his assault on her; he therefore drove off in the van; she subsequently encountered somebody who killed her.
This could only be done by him testifying, leaving him open to cross-examination. That would not work out in his favor.
I Am The Scum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th October 2021, 07:40 AM   #498
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

If that's his best story -- she was murdered by the notorious One Armed Man after he assaulted her, abandoned her and stole her car -- I don't think it helps him much.
Old 14th October 2021, 08:04 AM   #499
RecoveringYuppy
Penultimate Amazing

If that's his best story -- she was murdered by the notorious One Armed Man after he assaulted her, abandoned her and stole her car -- I don't think it helps him much.
... Stole her money, faked a text from her.
Old 14th October 2021, 08:08 AM   #500
Warp12
Master Poster

If I were constructing a story in my defense, the highlighted portion would definitely not be a part of it.
Old 14th October 2021, 08:18 AM   #501
plague311
Great minds think...

Originally Posted by trustbutverify View Post
I understand your point, and I agree. Even though you'd acquit given the current case, I'd guess you'd agree it would be a tough call.
I don't know that I'd acquit, I was just saying I'd be open to reasonable doubt.

Taking LondonJohn's recent post about a possible scenario, if he removed the "physically assaulted her" and basically just said they got in a fight, she wandered off to get away from him, never came back, and he then bailed, it's possible. EXTREMELY unlikely, but possible.

It could also explain why he wouldn't want to go back there, why he freaked out when he got close. He just felt so much guilt it caused him to panic and act strangely.

“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th October 2021, 08:33 AM   #502
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

Taking LondonJohn's recent post about a possible scenario, if he removed the "physically assaulted her" and basically just said they got in a fight, she wandered off to get away from him, never came back, and he then bailed, it's possible. EXTREMELY unlikely, but possible.

It could also explain why he wouldn't want to go back there, why he freaked out when he got close. He just felt so much guilt it caused him to panic and act strangely.
As noted, he would have to explain all that himself, including why he abandoned her in the wilderness and stole her car instead of reporting her missing, then, even after days of reflection, refused to tell her family or anyone else where he had last seen her. All subject to cross-examination. Not looking good for him.
Old 14th October 2021, 08:53 AM   #503
plague311
Great minds think...

As noted, he would have to explain all that himself, including why he abandoned her in the wilderness and stole her car instead of reporting her missing, then, even after days of reflection, refused to tell her family or anyone else where he had last seen her. All subject to cross-examination. Not looking good for him.
Nothing for me to disagree with here. I think the defense could plant the story without him taking the stand though, as they interview other witnesses. Again, not likely, but possible.

“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th October 2021, 09:10 AM   #504
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

Nothing for me to disagree with here. I think the defense could plant the story without him taking the stand though, as they interview other witnesses. Again, not likely, but possible.
That's not the way it works. Witnesses testify to what they know. They don't get to speculate about what they did not see or hear. "So what do you think happened?" would not be allowed.
Old 14th October 2021, 09:19 AM   #505
plague311
Great minds think...

That's not the way it works. Witnesses testify to what they know. They don't get to speculate about what they did not see or hear. "So what do you think happened?" would not be allowed.
No, but anytime an expert witness or testimony is given the defense can offer alternative scenarios to what the witness is testifying. I saw it a bunch in the George Floyd case by both the defense and prosecution, and that had video accompanying it.

Would it be as effective? Nah, probably not, but it could still be done.

Old 14th October 2021, 09:31 AM   #506
trustbutverify
Philosopher

I don't know that I'd acquit, I was just saying I'd be open to reasonable doubt.

His panicked "guilt" also caused him to send fake texts on her phone? The highlighted fails the laugh test. That's not reasonable doubt in my book.
trustbutverify is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th October 2021, 09:33 AM   #507
plague311
Great minds think...

His panicked "guilt" also caused him to send fake texts on her phone?
Yeah, why is that so unreasonable? He obviously wasn't thinking straight or making rational decisions. I don't see it as that unbelievable.

The highlighted fails the laugh test. That's not reasonable doubt in my book.
Great, but it's not your book that would be used, is it? It's 12 random jurors from wherever the case would be held. Wyoming, I'd guess?

Old 14th October 2021, 09:33 AM   #508
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

No, but anytime an expert witness or testimony is given the defense can offer alternative scenarios to what the witness is testifying. I saw it a bunch in the George Floyd case by both the defense and prosecution, and that had video accompanying it.

Would it be as effective? Nah, probably not, but it could still be done.
The experts still have to support their claims. The Floyd defense experts -- pretty foolishly, many thought -- claimed that Floyd was displaying evidence of drug overdose or heart attack or even exhaust poisoning, based on their interpretation of medical records. But they didn't get to claim, say, that Floyd strangled himself. There's no evidence to support a claim by Laundrie that "She ran off and I panicked." He could say that, but nobody else could say it for him.
Old 14th October 2021, 09:37 AM   #509
plague311
Great minds think...

The experts still have to support their claims. The Floyd defense experts -- pretty foolishly, many thought -- claimed that Floyd was displaying evidence of drug overdose or heart attack or even exhaust poisoning, based on their interpretation of medical records. But they didn't get to claim, say, that Floyd strangled himself. There's no evidence to support a claim by Laundrie that "She ran off and I panicked." He could say that, but nobody else could say it for him.
They could phrase it as, "Would it be possible, in your opinion, that Gabby ran off, and when she didn't return the defendant panicked?"

I don't see anything wrong with that question. Like you said, the defense proposed all sorts of theories on behalf of their client in the Floyd case. In the Amber Guyger case as well they gave theories on her behalf before she took the stand.

Old 14th October 2021, 10:05 AM   #510
trustbutverify
Philosopher

Yeah, why is that so unreasonable? He obviously wasn't thinking straight or making rational decisions. I don't see it as that unbelievable.
It seems like a perfectly rational decision to me... if he had murdered Petito and was trying to confuse the timeline. I can't see any other motivation for doing so, rational or otherwise.

Quote:
Great, but it's not your book that would be used, is it? It's 12 random jurors from wherever the case would be held. Wyoming, I'd guess?
If Casey Anthony could be acquitted, anything is possible. Reasonable doubt is apparently unnecessary in some cases.

Last edited by trustbutverify; 14th October 2021 at 10:07 AM.
Old 14th October 2021, 10:21 AM   #511
I Am The Scum
Illuminator

They could phrase it as, "Would it be possible, in your opinion, that Gabby ran off, and when she didn't return the defendant panicked?"
I'm no lawyer, but that strikes me as an argumentative question.
I Am The Scum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th October 2021, 10:35 AM   #512
Checkmite

Originally Posted by Mike! View Post
It appears the person in blue with the white hat is placing something on the ground, right on the edge the area that looks like dirt, then a "hand" seems to reach out from under the edge and take whatever was placed there.

The implication being there's a bunker/bomb shelter on the parents property he is hiding in, and his mom is supplying him food there.
Oh, I see. Or well, I don't see an object leave her hand to sit on the ground, and I see a brief blur of motion in the shadow area and I understand that's the focus of attention but I can't say it looks hand-shaped to me or that it appears to remove anything from the ground in front of it. It could just as easily be some small plant, a flower maybe, that she has pulled or moved and is falling back into its former position.

At the very least, that's a very small "opening". What kind of "supplies" could she possibly be handing him that would even fit through it? A ketchup packet? "Here, just suck on this if you get hungry."
Old 14th October 2021, 10:38 AM   #513
plague311
Great minds think...

It seems like a perfectly rational decision to me... if he had murdered Petito and was trying to confuse the timeline. I can't see any other motivation for doing so, rational or otherwise.
I was just aiming at the "reasonable doubt" angle.

If Casey Anthony could be acquitted, anything is possible. Reasonable doubt is apparently unnecessary in some cases.
I know nothing of the case, sorry.

Originally Posted by I Am The Scum View Post
I'm no lawyer, but that strikes me as an argumentative question.
Maybe? I'm not a lawyer either. I just phrased it as closely as I could to the questions I heard the prosecutor and defense pose during the Guyger and Floyd trials.

Old 14th October 2021, 02:17 PM   #514
DevilsAdvocate
Philosopher

LondonJohn's scenario sound a lot like they had an argument and he ditched in the woods and fled, which is probably too close to what we expect happened if he murdered her.

Your scenario also seems unbelievable. This was his fiancée. The love of his life. If she wanders off and he can't find her, he is gong to call for help. He's not just going to drive back to Florida and say nothing and...well, just leave her for dead.

He would be better off saying he woke up late 8/30 and she wasn't there. He thought she went for a hike but she didn't come back. He went looking for her and walked across the creek and found her dead. He didn't know if it was an accident or somebody killed her, but she was definitely dead. He was afraid he would be falsely accused of murder, so he fled back home and called the family attorney. The attorney advised them to not talk about it to anyone and refer all questions from the police to him, so that's what they did.

If his DNA was out there, that's because they were living a van together. If his footprints are out there, that's from when he went looking for her. He didn't hear any screams, but he was in the van and he's a very sound sleeper. If he acted suspicious, that's because he was afraid he would falsely become a murder suspect. He didn't kill her, he doesn't know who did, the prosecution doesn't know who did, and you the jury don't know who did.

There isn't much the prosecution can do with that other than point to the previous fighting and the weird hitchhiking and unlikelihood of that scenario and say that he is lying to get out of murder. But just with that, the jury may feel there is reasonable doubt. Two stories and they don't know which one is true.
Old 14th October 2021, 02:28 PM   #515
DevilsAdvocate
Philosopher

I don't see anything wrong with that question. Like you said, the defense proposed all sorts of theories on behalf of their client in the Floyd case. In the Amber Guyger case as well they gave theories on her behalf before she took the stand.
That question would not be allowed. That is not an expert opinion. That is just speculation that requires no expertise. They could ask an expert if there are cases where something like that happens.

But that expert would be subject to cross examination with questions like how often that actually happens. Or even if there has ever been a case where a couple drove off into the woods and one wandered off and the other drove far away and then refused to say anything. The answer to that question may be that they are not aware of any such case.

The defense could propose scenarios during opening and closing arguments. They could says this is what happened. But if they don't present any evidence, that is not likely to be convincing. Anything from the parent would likely be inadmissible as hearsay. Maybe if they have a text or voicemail from him that might be allowed. But he would probably have to take the stand and that would likely be rough, especially if he is lying.
Old 14th October 2021, 02:39 PM   #516
DevilsAdvocate
Philosopher

You won't get an argument from me. Outside of some extremely unlikely coincidence, I think it's pretty clear he killed her. That being said, depending on what comes to light, I could have a reasonable doubt.

Like Ted Lasso said, "That's the funny thing about coincidences. They just happen." That's why I'm not the hugest fan of circumstantial cases. Like Warp12 pointed out, they can\have sent innocent people to jail. I'd really like to see a smoking gun.
Many cases do not have a smoking gun.

The video of the van may be close to a smoking gun. That puts him at the scene where the body was found. Along with another witness who saw the van there and the hitchhiking witnesses. Plus probably a number of others that haven't been made public. I'm he never expected anything like that. Probably none of that would have happened if this story hadn't got so big.

I think I said in a much earlier post that the Yosemite text could be what nails him. The text about no service in Yosemite was sent from her phone to her mother on 8/30 at about 7 AM.

If they can get ping on that message from somewhere like Nebraska and that is the route he was on by credit card evidence, that is obviously a problem.

It is unlikely that some random killer would send that message. The random killer probably wouldn't even be able to access her phone. That means if it wasn't him, she was still alive at that time. If there was a breakup or something after 8/30 at 7 AM, he would have to had made the 35 hour drive back to North Port in about 50 hours. That's 35 hours straight through. Add some time to get gas and food and that is probably 18-20 hours driving per day. That's a lot.

They know he was using her credit card. They know where he used it. If he stayed at hotels, they know when he checked in and probably when he left. If he used the card somewhere that he could not have gotten to from Spread Creek at 7 AM, that very likely means he sent the message. And that very likely means he killed her.
Old 14th October 2021, 03:19 PM   #517
trustbutverify
Philosopher

I was just aiming at the "reasonable doubt" angle.
I understand. My point is Laundrie pretending to be his gf on his gf's stolen phone due to confusion and panic isn't a reasonable conclusion.
Old 14th October 2021, 03:23 PM   #518
trustbutverify
Philosopher

Originally Posted by DevilsAdvocate View Post
LondonJohn's scenario sound a lot like they had an argument and he ditched in the woods and fled, which is probably too close to what we expect happened if he murdered her.

Your scenario also seems unbelievable. This was his fiancée. The love of his life. If she wanders off and he can't find her, he is gong to call for help. He's not just going to drive back to Florida and say nothing and...well, just leave her for dead.

He would be better off saying he woke up late 8/30 and she wasn't there. He thought she went for a hike but she didn't come back. He went looking for her and walked across the creek and found her dead. He didn't know if it was an accident or somebody killed her, but she was definitely dead. He was afraid he would be falsely accused of murder, so he fled back home and called the family attorney. The attorney advised them to not talk about it to anyone and refer all questions from the police to him, so that's what they did.

If his DNA was out there, that's because they were living a van together. If his footprints are out there, that's from when he went looking for her. He didn't hear any screams, but he was in the van and he's a very sound sleeper. If he acted suspicious, that's because he was afraid he would falsely become a murder suspect. He didn't kill her, he doesn't know who did, the prosecution doesn't know who did, and you the jury don't know who did.

There isn't much the prosecution can do with that other than point to the previous fighting and the weird hitchhiking and unlikelihood of that scenario and say that he is lying to get out of murder. But just with that, the jury may feel there is reasonable doubt. Two stories and they don't know which one is true.
He found her dead and was afraid of being falsely confused, so he ran away with her stuff because then he wouldn't be falsely accused?
Old 14th October 2021, 03:34 PM   #519
Mike!
Official Ponylandistanian National Treasure. Respect it!

Location: Ponylandistan! Where the bacon grows on trees! Can it get any better than that? I submit it can not!
Oh, I see. Or well, I don't see an object leave her hand to sit on the ground, and I see a brief blur of motion in the shadow area and I understand that's the focus of attention but I can't say it looks hand-shaped to me or that it appears to remove anything from the ground in front of it. It could just as easily be some small plant, a flower maybe, that she has pulled or moved and is falling back into its former position.

At the very least, that's a very small "opening". What kind of "supplies" could she possibly be handing him that would even fit through it? A ketchup packet? "Here, just suck on this if you get hungry."
Yeah, I'm simply saying it's what I think whoever originally posted the video to the web are trying to imply is happening in it. Of course we don't know if that's what's happening or not, or even if that's at his parents house at all, as there's nothing shown in it that could conclusively place it there in the first place.
Old 14th October 2021, 04:47 PM   #520
newyorkguy
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by DevilsAdvocate View Post
...This was his fiancée. The love of his life. If she wanders off and he can't find her, he is gong to call for help. He's not just going to drive back to Florida and say nothing and...well, just leave her for dead.

He would be better off saying he woke up late 8/30 and she wasn't there. He thought she went for a hike but she didn't come back. He went looking for her and walked across the creek and found her dead. He didn't know if it was an accident or somebody killed her, but she was definitely dead. He was afraid he would be falsely accused of murder, so he fled back home and called the family attorney. The attorney advised them to not talk about it to anyone and refer all questions from the police to him, so that's what they did...
I pretty much agree with this. One other thing Laundrie could be thinking about is, arranging a plea deal with the prosecutor. Turning himself in, making a full confession and agreeing to plead guilty IN EXCHANGE for the prosecutor agreeing to NOT seek the death penalty or a life sentence. Give Laundrie a shot at someday -- even if its decades from now -- regaining his freedom.

If Laundrie wants to roll the dice and plead not guilty and go to trial, he better be prepared to lose big. Wyoming hasn't executed anyone in thirty years but they are a death penalty state.
newyorkguy is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events