IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags abortion laws , political predictions , prediction threads , Roe v. Wade

View Poll Results: When will Roe v Wade be overturned
Before 31 December 2020 20 24.39%
Before 31 December 2022 10 12.20%
Before 31 December 2024 5 6.10%
SCOTUS will not pick a case up 16 19.51%
SCOTUS will pick it up and decline to overturn 31 37.80%
Voters: 82. You may not vote on this poll

Old 19th September 2021, 05:17 AM   #441
Graham2001
Graduate Poster

A report on a possible way to shut down the Texas SB8 law from of all people, the Libertarians...

Quote:
Senate Bill 8, the Texas anti-abortion law that went into effect this month, was expressly designed so that state officials could dodge accountability for the state's law in federal court. In a new legal filing, the U.S. Department of Justice has offered a potentially winning strategy for overcoming that legal ruse.

https://reason.com/2021/09/17/the-ju...-abortion-law/

As to why the Libertarians are approving of Federal action in this case, well, it has to do with the possibility that followers of the 'Movement without a name' (aka Critical Race Theory.) might use a similar 'ruse' to restrict speech rights to only those people who agree with them.

https://reason.com/2021/09/03/conser...rtion-law-too/

Everybody gets it wrong sometimes...
Graham2001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th September 2021, 10:10 AM   #442
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

"Supreme Court To Hear Major Mississippi Abortion Case On Dec. 1"
Old 20th September 2021, 09:06 PM   #443
mgidm86
Philosopher

Originally Posted by The Atheist View Post
At least in my browser, clicking that link and then waiting several seconds once it loads I see the Back button become active. When I backspace I go to a page they somehow programmed to be there that was not before.

CNN is worse recently, but maybe my browser needs updating. If I go to CNN for a few minutes and not click anything on their page, I have to hit the back button 3 times to actually go back.

Sorry off topic.

Back on topic: I forgot Mississippi was even a state.

Last edited by mgidm86; 20th September 2021 at 09:08 PM.
mgidm86 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th October 2021, 11:17 AM   #444
cosmicaug
Graduate Poster

Posted for relevance to theme of thread:

Justices’ views on abortion in their own words and votes.

Quote:
WASHINGTON (AP) — Abortion already is dominating the Supreme Court’s new term, months before the justices will decide whether to reverse decisions reaching back nearly 50 years. Not only is there Mississippi’s call to overrule Roe v. Wade, but the court also soon will be asked again to weigh in on the Texas law banning abortion at roughly six weeks.

The justices won’t be writing on a blank slate as they consider the future of abortion rights in the U.S. They have had a lot to say about abortion over the years — in opinions, votes, Senate confirmation testimony and elsewhere. Just one, Clarence Thomas, has openly called for overruling Roe and Planned Parenthood v. Casey, the two cases that established and reaffirmed a woman’s right to an abortion. Here is a sampling of their comments:
[...]

Last edited by cosmicaug; 12th October 2021 at 11:18 AM. Reason: Changed hyperlink anchor text to reflect article title
cosmicaug is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th October 2021, 08:10 AM   #445
Matthew Best
Philosopher

https://www.oxygen.com/crime-news/br...ge-in-oklahoma

Prosectors in Oklahoma successfully argued to a jury this month that a woman who had a miscarriage was guilty of the manslaughter of her non-viable fetus.

She was sentenced to four years in prison.
Matthew Best is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th October 2021, 10:17 AM   #446
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Originally Posted by Matthew Best View Post

Prosectors in Oklahoma successfully argued to a jury this month that a woman who had a miscarriage was guilty of the manslaughter of her non-viable fetus.

Damn you for posting that.

If you hadn't, I never would have heard of it, and now I'm absolutely ******* furious!

The sickness in America is beyond belief.

I don't believe there is another CECD nation that wouldn't have responded to that young woman with mental and physical help. In America, they throw her in jail.
Old 16th October 2021, 10:50 AM   #447
Matthew Best
Philosopher

Damn you for posting that.

If you hadn't, I never would have heard of it, and now I'm absolutely ******* furious!

The sickness in America is beyond belief.

I don't believe there is another CECD nation that wouldn't have responded to that young woman with mental and physical help. In America, they throw her in jail.
Sorry about that, The Atheist. Incidentally, what does "CECD" stand for?
Matthew Best is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th October 2021, 11:29 AM   #448
cosmicaug
Graduate Poster

The Abortion Backup Plan No One Is Talking About

Quote:
So many states have restricted access to abortion so severely that people in large swaths of the country feel they have no options if they want to terminate a pregnancy. But technically, those who want an abortion still have options. It’s just that few have heard of them.

Pregnant people in Texas, or in any other U.S. state, can visit an array of websites that will mail them two pills—mifepristone and misoprostol—that will induce a miscarriage when used in the first trimester of pregnancy and possibly even later. The so-called self-managed abortion is therefore an option at least six weeks further into a pregnancy than the controversial new Texas law’s six-week “heartbeat” cutoff for an abortion at a clinic. Though people in other states have several websites to choose from, Texans can visit Aid Access, a website that provides the pills for $105 or less based on income.

Only 5 percent of Americans have heard of Aid Access, though, and only 13 percent have heard of Plan C, a website that provides information on different mail-order-abortion services by state, according to a new Atlantic/Leger poll. Some people may vaguely know that medication abortions exist, but don’t know the names of the organizations that mail them. However, most poll respondents said that they weren’t aware of any backup options for abortion if a clinic is not accessible. The poll surveyed a representative sample of 1,001 adults across the country from September 24 to September 26, and its results mirror my experiences interviewing two dozen random young Texans recently: None had heard of Aid Access, and the few who had heard of Plan C were confusing it with Plan B, the morning-after pill.

The results also jibe with the experiences of Plan C’s founders. Though they’ve seen a large increase in web traffic, particularly from Texas, since Texas’s abortion restrictions went into effect, “we know that the biggest challenge is to try to get this word out,” says Francine Coeytaux, one of the site’s co-founders. The doctor behind Aid Access, Rebecca Gomperts, told me that according to her own research, 60 percent of her clients did not know about abortion pills before they found her service.
[...]
Old 16th October 2021, 02:52 PM   #449
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

OECD.

Sir Winston Churchill
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th October 2021, 05:49 PM   #450
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Conglomeration for Economic Co-Operation and Development.

Very closely allied to the OECD, but more conglomerated.
Old 16th October 2021, 06:34 PM   #451
angrysoba
Philosophile

Conglomeration for Economic Co-Operation and Development.

Very closely allied to the OECD, but more conglomerated.
The OECD is more organized though.
"The thief and the murderer follow nature just as much as the philanthropist. Cosmic evolution may teach us how the good and the evil tendencies of man may have come about; but, in itself, it is incompetent to furnish any better reason why what we call good is preferable to what we call evil than we had before."

"Evolution and Ethics" T.H. Huxley (1893)
angrysoba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th October 2021, 12:35 AM   #452
Manger Douse
Muse

Was the miscarriage caused by her injecting methamphetamine? Because if so, I can see how that would be manslaughter
Manger Douse is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th October 2021, 12:40 AM   #453
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Originally Posted by Manger Douse View Post
Was the miscarriage caused by her injecting methamphetamine? Because if so, I can see how that would be manslaughter
Well I canít. How can it be manslaughter when it was a 14 week old foetus?

Sir Winston Churchill
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th October 2021, 01:48 AM   #454
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Was the miscarriage caused by her injecting methamphetamine?
According to the report, no. It had an infection in the placenta that had travelled to the baby. The charge is insane, and the prison sentence even more insane.
Old 17th October 2021, 03:43 AM   #455
Manger Douse
Muse

According to the report, no. It had an infection in the placenta that had travelled to the baby.
From a unrinary tract infection, a cause of which can well be from using methamphetamines.

Last edited by Manger Douse; 17th October 2021 at 04:08 AM.
Manger Douse is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th October 2021, 04:12 AM   #456
Manger Douse
Muse

Nm

Last edited by Manger Douse; 17th October 2021 at 04:16 AM.
Old 17th October 2021, 04:26 AM   #457
Matthew Best
Philosopher

Was the miscarriage caused by her injecting methamphetamine?
I don't think it's possible to say definitively what the cause of the miscarriage was.
Old 17th October 2021, 09:56 AM   #458
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

From a unrinary tract infection, a cause of which can well be from using methamphetamines.
Nonsense. You're talking about a biological impossibility.

In any case, use of meth is not predictive of higher risk of infection.

Quote:
Prenatal alcohol, drug, and cigarette use were not associated with chorioamnionitis, villitis, deciduitis, or maternal vascular underperfusion.
https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/acer.13022
Old 17th October 2021, 11:22 AM   #459
Manger Douse
Muse

Nonsense. You're talking about a biological impossibility.

I went by this study: Prevalence and management of lower urinary tract symptoms in methamphetamine abusers - can you tell me how I've got the conclusion "Lower urinary tract symptoms were highly prevalent among methamphetamine abusers." wrong?
Old 17th October 2021, 11:37 AM   #460
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

I went by this study: Prevalence and management of lower urinary tract symptoms in methamphetamine abusers - can you tell me how I've got the conclusion "Lower urinary tract symptoms were highly prevalent among methamphetamine abusers." wrong?
That's not what you said - here, let me quote you:

Quote:
Correlation is not causation.

I'd be surprised if meth users didn't have a higher rate of all types of infection - I don't think hygiene is high on the list of things meth addicts concern themselves with.
Old 17th October 2021, 12:03 PM   #461
Manger Douse
Muse

Correlation is not causation.
Sure, but that study showed that methamphetamine abuse does cause UTIs so I don't know where your "biological impossibility" claim comes from - could you explain it please?
Old 17th October 2021, 12:09 PM   #462
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Sure, but that study showed that methamphetamine abuse does cause UTIs so I don't know where your "biological impossibility" claim comes from - could you explain it please?
Itís still not manslaughter

Sir Winston Churchill
Old 17th October 2021, 12:38 PM   #463
Silly Green Monkey
Cowardly Lurking in the Shadows of Greatness

I get UTIs often, and I've never done meth. Maybe they're common in meth users because they're common in adult female humans with our shorter urethra?
Old 17th October 2021, 12:40 PM   #464
Manger Douse
Muse

Originally Posted by lionking View Post
Itís still not manslaughter
On that I agree, but this does seem like this person either deliberately or through gross negligence caused this termination via doing pins full of meth and I think that should maybe be against the law?
Old 17th October 2021, 02:27 PM   #465
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Sure, but that study showed that methamphetamine abuse does cause UTIs...
It does no such thing - read it again, and get back to me if you trouble understanding it.

It looked pretty clear to me - here's the conclusion in its entirety:

Quote:
Lower urinary tract symptoms were highly prevalent among methamphetamine abusers. Our results imply that pathological dopaminergic mechanisms have a role in methamphetamine associated lower urinary tract symptoms. Moreover, first line anticholinergics and prompt combination with α-blockers conferred the most therapeutic benefit to nonresponders.
"Prevalent among" and "caused by" are two entirely different things. The study shows a lot of women who use meth get UTIs.

... so I don't know where your "biological impossibility" claim comes from - could you explain it please?
So, as well as not understanding a simple report, you don't know how the human body works.

Urinary infections are caused by bacteria. If you inhale a substance of any kind, it cannot introduce bacteria into a urinary tract.
Old 17th October 2021, 02:32 PM   #466
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

On that I agree, but this does seem like this person either deliberately or through gross negligence caused this termination via doing pins full of meth and I think that should maybe be against the law?
Breathtaking.

After 50 years of the War on Drugs failing, while sensible countries show that a health-centric focus actually works, it's great to see someone who still wants to criminalise the victim.

Bravo!

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events