IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 27th September 2021, 11:16 AM   #41
HansMustermann
Penultimate Amazing

A lot higher, actually. But if you're in a hurry, the big rip may come first.
Old 27th September 2021, 05:06 PM   #42
Hercules Rockefeller
Woof!

Originally Posted by dann View Post
When is that? I seem to remember something about 200,000,000 years. Or was it only 200,000?
About 100,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,00 0,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000, 000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 years.
Old 27th September 2021, 05:51 PM   #43
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Hercules Rockefeller View Post
About 100,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,00 0,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000, 000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 years.
That's for black holes to evaporate.

From a human perspective, the universe will be effectively heat dead when the last stars burn out, which will be roughly on the order of a mere 1014 years. That time scale is still much longer than the current age of the universe (~1010 years), but it's a lot shorter than black hole evaporation time scales of around 10100 years. On the flip side, the burned out cores of stars may take over 101000 years to completely fuse into iron, which is even longer than the black hole evaporation timescale. And this may actually trigger a few supernova, which would also break the monotony.
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th September 2021, 06:52 PM   #44
Fast Eddie B
Philosopher

Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
I have this theory. The origin of the universe is a quantum fluctuation with a ridiculously low probability. Like, once in thousands of trillions of years. Yet, it occurs, and a universe is brought into being and starts to expand. Hundreds of trillions of years after that occurs, all matter and energy in the universe dissolves and dissipates, leaving nothing - not even something that can be called spacetime. Entropy is at maximum.

Then it happens again.
There’s a wonderful short story by Isaac Asimov that weaves a similar tale:

https://www.physics.princeton.edu/ph115/LQ.pdf

Well worth the time if you haven’t read it - it’s only 9 pages long.

Last edited by Fast Eddie B; 27th September 2021 at 07:16 PM.
Fast Eddie B is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th September 2021, 07:26 PM   #45
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena
Pronouns: he/him

Originally Posted by Gord_in_Toronto View Post
If you do do the math, there is probably a Nobel Prize in store for you.
I expect so, yes.

Originally Posted by Fast Eddie B View Post

I am very familiar with The Last Question. Once in high school I adapted it to a sound and light show in which after the last lines were spoken, I lit a bank of floods pointed at the audience.

And I'd like to mention that that PDF is paginated incorrectly. Asimov intended, as he did sometimes, for the last few lines to be over the final page, so you couldn't read ahead and spoil the ending.
Old 27th September 2021, 11:22 PM   #46
dann
Penultimate Amazing

I was thinking of the time when the sun is supposed to get so hot that it becomes a problem for (at least human) life on Earth, not the heat death of the universe.
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th September 2021, 11:30 PM   #47
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat

I was thinking of the time when the sun is supposed to get so hot that it becomes a problem for (at least human) life on Earth, not the heat death of the universe.
That's about a billion years. Which, since life on earth began about 4 billion years ago, means we're already about 80% of the way through the period during which the earth will be capable of supporting life.
Old 27th September 2021, 11:38 PM   #48
Samson
Philosopher

When is that? I seem to remember something about 200,000,000 years. Or was it only 200,000?
A bit longer.
A brown dwarf lasts 100 trillion years I think.
Samson is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th September 2021, 05:12 AM   #49
HansMustermann
Penultimate Amazing

On the other hand, the big rip may be anywhere between 2.8 billion years in the future (as an absolute minimum) and never.
Old 28th September 2021, 07:50 AM   #50
Gord_in_Toronto
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by HansMustermann View Post
On the other hand, the big rip may be anywhere between 2.8 billion years in the future (as an absolute minimum) and never.
On on the other other hand, the Universe could just do a reset and end tomorrow.
Old 28th September 2021, 08:03 AM   #51
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Personally, I think avoid the heat death of the universe.
Last year, 5 million people died of heat death, and that was just Earth.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...ng-study-finds
Old 28th September 2021, 11:46 AM   #52
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised

On on the other other hand, the Universe could just do a reset and end tomorrow.
Don't worry, I'm guarding the button.

I used to think that Republicans were just jerks. Now I'm convinced that they're all sick, evil, twisted pieces of [first of George Carlin's seven dirty words].

"Biden's a Commie, like the Rockefellers!" -- some idiot overheard
shemp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th September 2021, 12:02 PM   #53
Gord_in_Toronto
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by shemp View Post
Don't worry, I'm guarding the button.
Shemp! Guarding the button? Like that makes me feel comfortable?

We are doomed I tell you. DOOMED!

Old 28th September 2021, 12:42 PM   #54
Hellbound
Merchant of Doom

Location: Not in Hell, but I can see it from here on a clear day...

No worries. It’s the button for the gate on the goat pen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 28th September 2021, 01:01 PM   #55
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Fast Eddie B View Post

One of my two favorite Asimov stories!
Old 28th September 2021, 01:08 PM   #56
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th September 2021, 02:18 PM   #57
Gord_in_Toronto
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Ziggurat View Post
That does NOT make me feel any more comfortable.

https://vimeo.com/126720159

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology