IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events
 


Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Reply
Old 29th September 2021, 04:39 AM   #121
SuburbanTurkey
Penultimate Amazing
 
SuburbanTurkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Massachusetts, USA
Posts: 11,610
Originally Posted by Thermal View Post
Well...yeah. Thats what I'm saying. This isn't a coal-roller story. It's a dumbass punk kid story. So why is it internationally newsworthy? Two words: rolling coal. Without those two magic words, none of us would have ever heard of this.

And while you maybe didn't make the connection, virtually every other poster did, and continue to argue it. .
What an absolutely bizarre hill to die on.
__________________
Gobble gobble
SuburbanTurkey is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th September 2021, 07:06 AM   #122
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing
 
Thermal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: East Coast USA
Posts: 16,148
Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post
What an absolutely bizarre hill to die on.
Hey, I'm trying to find something to discuss. It's kind of a nothing story, thread-wise. Young kid drives recklessly and causes non-fatal accident. Okay. You want to post the thousands of other similar stories and we can all nod our heads and say 'damn shame'? "But its a social issue and current event!" Okay. So what do you find to be of international interest here?

You say "damn, here's something we should discuss" and post the story. I look at it skeptically. Weak witnessing, and a bit of assumption. Did you want to talk about Chase Ferrel's forensic analysis? His ability to count impacts from behind the scene, and in a cloud of noxious fumes? Did you want to speculate that he may really be Steve Austin?

No. It's the Rolling Coal thing that got your interest, right? A generic slam on conservative douchebag types? Ok, let's try that. I'm not sure he was such a type, being that young and likely driving someone else's truck. So is he an aspiring conservative douchebag, or Beavis just being a little prick on a power trip when he got the opportunity?

Seriously, man. What in the ever-loving **** do you want to discuss here? I'm trying.
__________________
We find comfort among those who agree with us, growth among those who don't -Frank A. Clark

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect -Mark Twain
Thermal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th September 2021, 07:12 AM   #123
SuburbanTurkey
Penultimate Amazing
 
SuburbanTurkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Massachusetts, USA
Posts: 11,610
Originally Posted by Thermal View Post
Hey, I'm trying to find something to discuss. It's kind of a nothing story, thread-wise. Young kid drives recklessly and causes non-fatal accident. Okay. You want to post the thousands of other similar stories and we can all nod our heads and say 'damn shame'? "But its a social issue and current event!" Okay. So what do you find to be of international interest here?

You say "damn, here's something we should discuss" and post the story. I look at it skeptically. Weak witnessing, and a bit of assumption. Did you want to talk about Chase Ferrel's forensic analysis? His ability to count impacts from behind the scene, and in a cloud of noxious fumes? Did you want to speculate that he may really be Steve Austin?

No. It's the Rolling Coal thing that got your interest, right? A generic slam on conservative douchebag types? Ok, let's try that. I'm not sure he was such a type, being that young and likely driving someone else's truck. So is he an aspiring conservative douchebag, or Beavis just being a little prick on a power trip when he got the opportunity?

Seriously, man. What in the ever-loving **** do you want to discuss here? I'm trying.
I thought it was an interesting example of the diseased and dangerous American psyche which is increasingly a problem for this country. I hadn't expected anyone would just straight-up deny the basic facts of the case, but I suppose that's another form of the same diseased American brain and just as much a problem.
__________________
Gobble gobble
SuburbanTurkey is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th September 2021, 07:31 AM   #124
crescent
Illuminator
 
crescent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Colorado
Posts: 4,241
I kinda figure the witness was just riding his bike along. You know, it moves. The truck passes him and hits the other riders. He sees it - or not.

But his bike is still a movable thing. So he reaches the scene of the event, and like any normal human would do, renders aide. Talks to people. After all, he's got the same bike-riding hobby as the victims, maybe he already knows them just for that reason.

Figures out how many got hit because you know, he was there moments after it happened.

X-ray vision to see through the smoke not required. Basic human decency to render aide and support and basic human curiosity suffice to figure it out in a few seconds.
crescent is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th September 2021, 07:41 AM   #125
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing
 
Thermal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: East Coast USA
Posts: 16,148
Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post
I thought it was an interesting example of the diseased and dangerous American psyche which is increasingly a problem for this country.
Ok. You forgot to mention that. So your interest is in what again? "Rolling Coal" in general (usually focused on Prius drivers), or kids being taunting ******** with little concept of the proverbial "all fun and games till someone loses an eye"?

Quote:
I hadn't expected anyone would just straight-up deny the basic facts of the case, but I suppose that's another form of the same diseased American brain and just as much a problem.
OK, there it is. You have this whole other imaginary take. Ok.

No one is denying any facts at all, and all are in agreement that rolling coal is a twat-ass thing to do, reserved for an embarrassing knuckle-dragging redneck contingent of these otherwise Great United States. We on the same page?

Bionic eye Chase may be wrong, having been behind the truck and in a thick cloud of freshly rolled coal. I doubt seriously that he could have counted how many individual bikes were hit before the brakes were applied, as he claimed, or could see what the driver was doing and why. I proposed that the kid could have been performing an entirely separate douchebag intimidation, like riding right up on the front cyclists' rear wheels, then slipping on the accelerator, causing the crash.

Do you understand that none of that denies the facts, and in fact is right in line with the narrative? It seems you just want to see something that's not there.
__________________
We find comfort among those who agree with us, growth among those who don't -Frank A. Clark

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect -Mark Twain
Thermal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th September 2021, 07:43 AM   #126
gregthehammer
Muse
 
gregthehammer's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 794
Yeah, I'm not understanding the knee jerk reaction to besmirch Chase Ferrel here.
gregthehammer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th September 2021, 07:50 AM   #127
The Don
Penultimate Amazing
 
The Don's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Sir Fynwy
Posts: 32,556
Originally Posted by gregthehammer View Post
Yeah, I'm not understanding the knee jerk reaction to besmirch Chase Ferrel here.
It's a way to undermine the "Member of the Trumper Jugend runs over cyclist" story

I get the feeling that even if the 16 year-old was a registered Republican (impossible I know) and there was video of him saying that "I'm rolling coal because I like triggering libs and love the Republican Party and Donald J Trump" while the incident was going down, there would still be attempts to claim "It's just the kind of dumb thing that kids do" - as opposed to "It's kind of dangerous and dumb that right wingers do".
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th September 2021, 07:55 AM   #128
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing
 
Thermal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: East Coast USA
Posts: 16,148
Originally Posted by crescent View Post
I kinda figure the witness was just riding his bike along. You know, it moves. The truck passes him and hits the other riders. He sees it - or not.

But his bike is still a movable thing. So he reaches the scene of the event, and like any normal human would do, renders aide. Talks to people. After all, he's got the same bike-riding hobby as the victims, maybe he already knows them just for that reason.

Figures out how many got hit because you know, he was there moments after it happened.

X-ray vision to see through the smoke not required. Basic human decency to render aide and support and basic human curiosity suffice to figure it out in a few seconds.
Well...yeah. My argument is that Ferrel was in a terrible vantage point to actually see anything, least of all to intuit the kid's mental processes.

The point I am making is my usual meta argument: people get led around by the nose from media/twitter narratives, instead of looking at facts skeptically.

Media is generally biased. Twitter positively honks on Bobo, objectivity-wise. What I propose is to look at the facts while suspending the narrative and see if there is another plausible interpretation that fits the known facts. It should be a given on a skeptics' forum.
__________________
We find comfort among those who agree with us, growth among those who don't -Frank A. Clark

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect -Mark Twain
Thermal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th September 2021, 08:01 AM   #129
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing
 
Thermal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: East Coast USA
Posts: 16,148
Originally Posted by gregthehammer View Post
Yeah, I'm not understanding the knee jerk reaction to besmirch Chase Ferrel here.
Why do you think that? I'm proposing that his vantage point was too poor to be Gospel, and in his interview he was kind of winging it. Not exactly courtroom level testimony. Which is fine, on a casual local news interview.

What's not fine is to treat what he says as unimpugnable. He's behind the truck in a black cloud. Do you think he really had a good view of what was happening in front of the truck, and what was going on in the driver's mind? Serious question.
__________________
We find comfort among those who agree with us, growth among those who don't -Frank A. Clark

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect -Mark Twain
Thermal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th September 2021, 08:08 AM   #130
plague311
Great minds think...
 
plague311's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: North Dakota
Posts: 10,481
Originally Posted by Thermal View Post
Well...yeah. My argument is that Ferrel was in a terrible vantage point to actually see anything, least of all to intuit the kid's mental processes.
But Ferrel wasn't at a terrible vantage point. I'm not sure where you got that from:

Quote:
After the truck’s first pass, Ferrell said he sped up to take a picture of the driver or the truck’s plate when he saw the incident first-hand.
In fact, it sounds like he was right there and witnessed it all in real-time.

I don't care about the rest of your song and dance, it's your normal "you guys aren't skeptics" spiel. You can drop the ******** attacks on Ferrel though. He was there, he saw it, he didn't a ******* "bionic" eye or any other dumb ****.
__________________
"Circumcision and death threats go together like milk and cookies." - William Parcher

“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th September 2021, 08:11 AM   #131
3point14
Pi
 
3point14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 20,861
Originally Posted by Thermal View Post
And by the same token, I have no reason to believe a 16 yr old is reviewing Republican budget proposals and tax incentive programs.

It's my meta argument on these fora: a lot of people don't give a rat's ass about politics, subscribing to the Mindless Machine theory. The social/cultural positions are more rubber-hitting-the-road for me. There will be a lot of intersectionality, but sometimes, as here, I don't think there is anything evidenced but a jerkoff kid. No, I don't think he has an Anarchy or Hammer and Sickle tat. Yes, I think he would blend right in at a Trumpster rally. That doesn't mean he has a political thought in his pretty little head, and I don't think a bunch of self-proclaimed skeptics should be shoving that on him.
He might not be aware of it, but driving a vehicle specifically modified to throw out more than the necessary amount of polution is a political position. It's anti-science, anti-social and anti-"everyone that's not me" (**** those people...) but it's also a statement of his position.

He's making a number of political statements here. He might not even know it, I suspect he's not that bright, but he is definitely making a loud and clear political point, even without the, you know, reckless endangerment.
__________________
Up the River!

Anyone that wraps themselves in the Union Flag and also lives in tax exile is a [redacted]

Last edited by 3point14; 29th September 2021 at 08:12 AM.
3point14 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th September 2021, 08:11 AM   #132
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector
 
ponderingturtle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 51,518
Originally Posted by gregthehammer View Post
Yeah, I'm not understanding the knee jerk reaction to besmirch Chase Ferrel here.
He rides a bicycle, drivers hate people on bicycles.
__________________
Sufficiently advanced Woo is indistinguishable from Parody
"There shall be no *poofing* in science" Paul C. Anagnostopoulos
Force ***** on reasons back" Ben Franklin
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th September 2021, 08:11 AM   #133
plague311
Great minds think...
 
plague311's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: North Dakota
Posts: 10,481
Originally Posted by Thermal View Post
what was going on in the driver's mind? Serious question.
I already address the rest. I'm not sure what your serious hard-on for trying to discredit Ferrel is, and I really don't care, but the fact is no one here SHOULD know what's going on in the mind of someone that would do something so recklessly ******* stupid.

I'd bet he saw one of his other friends, or maybe a parent\relative, do it to bikers before and he thought it was funny. He didn't just make a single pass though. He'd gone back and forth a few times, per the articles. He was absolutely trying to make a point. Maybe it was just immature douchebaggery, anything is possible. I'd guess though that with that truck, in Texas, and no charges being filed? I'd bet once his identity comes out, we'll find out his parents are connected in some higher end politics.
__________________
"Circumcision and death threats go together like milk and cookies." - William Parcher

“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th September 2021, 08:12 AM   #134
SuburbanTurkey
Penultimate Amazing
 
SuburbanTurkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Massachusetts, USA
Posts: 11,610
Originally Posted by gregthehammer View Post
Yeah, I'm not understanding the knee jerk reaction to besmirch Chase Ferrel here.
Well, if you take Thermal's position that the thing that happened for obvious reasons did not in fact occur for those reasons, having an eyewitness tends to be a problem.
__________________
Gobble gobble
SuburbanTurkey is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th September 2021, 08:13 AM   #135
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing
 
Thermal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: East Coast USA
Posts: 16,148
Originally Posted by plague311 View Post
But Ferrel wasn't at a terrible vantage point. I'm not sure where you got that from:



In fact, it sounds like he was right there and witnessed it all in real-time.

I don't care about the rest of your song and dance, it's your normal "you guys aren't skeptics" spiel. You can drop the ******** attacks on Ferrel though. He was there, he saw it, he didn't a ******* "bionic" eye or any other dumb ****.
Think about what you are saying: did he...what?...pass the truck? Was he along side of it or in front of it? He specifically describes what he heard: squealing brakes and screaming, which makes more sense if he was behind the truck, in the cloud of fumes.

but seriously, I'm bored out of my mind with this one. Refer to previous posts for further replies, it's just repetition now.
__________________
We find comfort among those who agree with us, growth among those who don't -Frank A. Clark

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect -Mark Twain
Thermal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th September 2021, 08:15 AM   #136
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing
 
Thermal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: East Coast USA
Posts: 16,148
Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post
Well, if you take Thermal's position that the thing that happened for obvious reasons did not in fact occur for those reasons, having an eyewitness tends to be a problem.
Where was the eyewitness again, in relation to the crash at the front of the truck?
__________________
We find comfort among those who agree with us, growth among those who don't -Frank A. Clark

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect -Mark Twain
Thermal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th September 2021, 08:22 AM   #137
Delphic Oracle
Philosopher
 
Delphic Oracle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 5,837
Originally Posted by Thermal View Post
Where was the eyewitness again, in relation to the crash at the front of the truck?
Closer to it than you were.
Delphic Oracle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th September 2021, 08:22 AM   #138
plague311
Great minds think...
 
plague311's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: North Dakota
Posts: 10,481
Originally Posted by Thermal View Post
Think about what you are saying: did he...what?...pass the truck? Was he along side of it or in front of it? He specifically describes what he heard: squealing brakes and screaming, which makes more sense if he was behind the truck, in the cloud of fumes.

but seriously, I'm bored out of my mind with this one. Refer to previous posts for further replies, it's just repetition now.
LoL what the actual **** is happening? He was directly behind the 6 riders that got hit. You're entire bitch fest has been about how he wasn't an eyewitness, and you've done nothing but disregard his statements from the get-go.

So now unless he was riding in the truck, or in front of it, he's no longer an eyewitness? He was within a dozen or so feet. How close do you have to be to see someone run over 6 people to be able to explain what happened? THE ******* KID RAN OVER 6 PEOPLE WHILE TRYING TO 'ROLL COAL' AT BIKERS FOR ABSOLUTELY NO ******* REASON OTHER THAN TO BE A DICK.

You're more than happy to make a big defense for this kid so that people won't claim it was politically motivated, because tHAt'S wUt SkEPtics dO! However, listen to a guy that was in direct eye line and within a dozen feet of the accident? That's foolish, FOOLISH I SAY!
__________________
"Circumcision and death threats go together like milk and cookies." - William Parcher

“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th September 2021, 08:25 AM   #139
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector
 
ponderingturtle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 51,518
Now lets establish how it was outrageous at all that South Dakota Attorney General Jason Ravnsborg was charged at all given that there was no eye witness at all to him running over a pedestrian and it is all infered from things like finding the guys glasses in his car. Clearly his misdermenors and no jail time was a travesty of justice as we don't really know if he hit the guy at all.

If a car runs someone over and no one sees it did it really happen?
__________________
Sufficiently advanced Woo is indistinguishable from Parody
"There shall be no *poofing* in science" Paul C. Anagnostopoulos
Force ***** on reasons back" Ben Franklin
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th September 2021, 08:25 AM   #140
SuburbanTurkey
Penultimate Amazing
 
SuburbanTurkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Massachusetts, USA
Posts: 11,610
I think we're reaching the epistemological section when it comes to dealing with the plain motives of bad actors caught doing crimes that only seems to rise up if they're right wingers.

What is the nature of knowing? What does it mean to know something? Can we trust our own senses?
__________________
Gobble gobble
SuburbanTurkey is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th September 2021, 08:26 AM   #141
bruto
Penultimate Amazing
 
bruto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Way way north of Diddy Wah Diddy
Posts: 29,617
Originally Posted by Thermal View Post
Hey, I'm trying to find something to discuss. It's kind of a nothing story, thread-wise. Young kid drives recklessly and causes non-fatal accident. Okay. You want to post the thousands of other similar stories and we can all nod our heads and say 'damn shame'? "But its a social issue and current event!" Okay. So what do you find to be of international interest here?

You say "damn, here's something we should discuss" and post the story. I look at it skeptically. Weak witnessing, and a bit of assumption. Did you want to talk about Chase Ferrel's forensic analysis? His ability to count impacts from behind the scene, and in a cloud of noxious fumes? Did you want to speculate that he may really be Steve Austin?

No. It's the Rolling Coal thing that got your interest, right? A generic slam on conservative douchebag types? Ok, let's try that. I'm not sure he was such a type, being that young and likely driving someone else's truck. So is he an aspiring conservative douchebag, or Beavis just being a little prick on a power trip when he got the opportunity?

Seriously, man. What in the ever-loving **** do you want to discuss here? I'm trying.
Disagree here. Although recklessness legally implies a wanton disregard greater than mere carelessness, it still implies, I think, a lack of specific intent. He did not just drive recklessly and hit some cyclists (a common enough occurence, for sure) because he did not care whether or not he might harm them. If you go out of your way to do something, it is because you care what you're doing. He did something intentional directly to a group of cyclists and then, apparently, lost control and did more than he intended. When I was a young little prick on a power trip, I drove too fast, and maybe too close, and that sort of thing, and I'm sure I was in no hurry to fix the muffler when it rotted out, but I did not attack people.

If I go into a group of people and wave my gun around, it will be cold comfort to contend I did not mean it to go off.
__________________
I love this world, but not for its answers. (Mary Oliver)

Quand il dit "cuic" le moineau croit tout dire. (When he's tweeted the sparrow thinks he's said it all. (Jules Renard)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th September 2021, 08:35 AM   #142
SuburbanTurkey
Penultimate Amazing
 
SuburbanTurkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Massachusetts, USA
Posts: 11,610
Local bicyclists surely seem to think it's political. Waller County seems to have a reputation for hostility towards cyclists

Quote:
Cyclists meanwhile say it is common for Waller County drivers to harass and intimidate them by passing too closely, aggressively accelerating and slowing or even tossing objects from moving vehicles.

“I don’t go to Waller (County) anymore, to be honest with you,” said Cheryl Perry, a Montgomery County triathlete who is organizing a Tuesday meeting among cyclists to solicit ideas to make it safer to train.

Since 2011, four cyclists have died and seven have been seriously injured in roadway crashes in Waller County. In that same period, neighboring Washington County — also popular with distance riders — has reported zero deaths or severe injuries.

The popularity of the county as a riding site has led Waller County to have a slightly higher number of serious injuries and deaths for bicyclists than nearby counties. In Waller, 2.2 percent of the people seriously injured or killed in road crashes were cyclists, compared with 1.8 percent in neighboring Austin County, 1.3 percent in Liberty County and 0.8 percent in Chambers County.
https://www.houstonchronicle.com/new...x-16490562.php


Of course, impossible to know what the motivates a guy that crashed into a group of bikes while engaging in risky and aggressive driving solely for the purposes of intimidating and annoying his victims.
__________________
Gobble gobble

Last edited by SuburbanTurkey; 29th September 2021 at 08:51 AM.
SuburbanTurkey is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th September 2021, 08:47 AM   #143
bruto
Penultimate Amazing
 
bruto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Way way north of Diddy Wah Diddy
Posts: 29,617
The crazy thing here, to my mind, is the fact that Texas highways are wide and generous, with little if any reason for motorists and cyclists to clash. Having ridden for many years on the narrow, shoulderless, badly paved roads of Vermont and hit only once in 25 years, I find it hard to believe any such encounter in Texas was anything but political, even disregarding the political elephant in any room occupied by Texans.
__________________
I love this world, but not for its answers. (Mary Oliver)

Quand il dit "cuic" le moineau croit tout dire. (When he's tweeted the sparrow thinks he's said it all. (Jules Renard)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th September 2021, 09:16 AM   #144
gregthehammer
Muse
 
gregthehammer's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 794
Originally Posted by bruto View Post
The crazy thing here, to my mind, is the fact that Texas highways are wide and generous, with little if any reason for motorists and cyclists to clash. Having ridden for many years on the narrow, shoulderless, badly paved roads of Vermont and hit only once in 25 years, I find it hard to believe any such encounter in Texas was anything but political, even disregarding the political elephant in any room occupied by Texans.
i google mapped the section of Highway this incident occured. it is a 4-lane undivided roadway, so there was a full passing lane to go around the cyclists if they were riding in the right lane.
gregthehammer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th September 2021, 09:22 AM   #145
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing
 
Thermal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: East Coast USA
Posts: 16,148
Originally Posted by bruto View Post
The crazy thing here, to my mind, is the fact that Texas highways are wide and generous, with little if any reason for motorists and cyclists to clash. Having ridden for many years on the narrow, shoulderless, badly paved roads of Vermont and hit only once in 25 years, I find it hard to believe any such encounter in Texas was anything but political, even disregarding the political elephant in any room occupied by Texans.
When I was younger and would hitchhike, run, or ride a bike on the shoulder, sometimes jerks would throw a bottle or something at me as they passed by. I don't think it was a political statement, except in the sense of low regard for law and order. It was punks being punks with what was available to them.
__________________
We find comfort among those who agree with us, growth among those who don't -Frank A. Clark

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect -Mark Twain
Thermal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th September 2021, 09:33 AM   #146
lobosrul5
Master Poster
 
lobosrul5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 2,559
Originally Posted by Thermal View Post
When I was younger and would hitchhike, run, or ride a bike on the shoulder, sometimes jerks would throw a bottle or something at me as they passed by. I don't think it was a political statement, except in the sense of low regard for law and order. It was punks being punks with what was available to them.
And if that's what happened on this occasion then there would be a very real chance this wasn't political at all. But, anyone that goes to the trouble of having their truck modified to spew out extra noxious fumes is very nearly certainly politically motivated. Now then it could be argued that there is a very good chance the kids father had the truck modified or bought it that way, and this kid wasn't really politically motivated, but just trying to imitate daddy? Yeah sure I guess. But the root cause is still political in nature.
lobosrul5 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th September 2021, 09:41 AM   #147
SuburbanTurkey
Penultimate Amazing
 
SuburbanTurkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Massachusetts, USA
Posts: 11,610
Originally Posted by lobosrul5 View Post
And if that's what happened on this occasion then there would be a very real chance this wasn't political at all. But, anyone that goes to the trouble of having their truck modified to spew out extra noxious fumes is very nearly certainly politically motivated. Now then it could be argued that there is a very good chance the kids father had the truck modified or bought it that way, and this kid wasn't really politically motivated, but just trying to imitate daddy? Yeah sure I guess. But the root cause is still political in nature.
We don't actually know the truck is tricked out to be a heavier polluter. It's a common mod for weird diesel truck guys who want to stick it to the environment or pedestrians or whatever, but even a stock diesel engine will spew black smoke if you floor it.
__________________
Gobble gobble
SuburbanTurkey is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th September 2021, 10:02 AM   #148
carlitos
"más divertido"
 
carlitos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: USA! USA!
Posts: 23,627
Originally Posted by Thermal View Post
Well...yeah. Thats what I'm saying. This isn't a coal-roller story. It's a dumbass punk kid story. So why is it internationally newsworthy? Two words: rolling coal. Without those two magic words, none of us would have ever heard of this.

And while you maybe didn't make the connection, virtually every other poster did, and continue to argue it. .
What in the actual **** are you talking about? Isn't that what diesel guys call it when they floor it to make black smoke? How the **** is that a "dog whistle?"
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th September 2021, 10:05 AM   #149
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man
 
JoeMorgue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Florida
Posts: 35,610
Originally Posted by carlitos View Post
What in the actual **** are you talking about?
Trust me. You literally never get an answer to that question, because I don't think there really is one.
__________________
"When enough people make false promises, words stop meaning anything. Then there are no more answers, only better and better lies." - Jon Snow

"Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is paid." - Valery Legasov
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th September 2021, 10:09 AM   #150
SuburbanTurkey
Penultimate Amazing
 
SuburbanTurkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Massachusetts, USA
Posts: 11,610
If you think about it, if you willfully ignore the central driving factor that caused this entire crash to happen, the whole incident takes on a different light. Curious
__________________
Gobble gobble
SuburbanTurkey is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th September 2021, 10:11 AM   #151
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man
 
JoeMorgue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Florida
Posts: 35,610
"If we ignore all the parts that prove I'm wrong, then it's irrational to say that I'm not right."
__________________
"When enough people make false promises, words stop meaning anything. Then there are no more answers, only better and better lies." - Jon Snow

"Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is paid." - Valery Legasov
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th September 2021, 10:18 AM   #152
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing
 
Thermal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: East Coast USA
Posts: 16,148
Originally Posted by carlitos View Post
What in the actual **** are you talking about? Isn't that what diesel guys call it when they floor it to make black smoke? How the **** is that a "dog whistle?"
Jesus Christ dude, we just covered this. OP acknowledged that he was interested in the diseased conservative mindset that does this. Or something. It's not a concern for cyclists, or dumb kids, or anything else. Just 'them conservatives'.

Which is fine. But the story is not about what conservatives like to do. It's about a dumb-ass kid who was presumably driving someone else's truck and did something really stupid and dangerous.
__________________
We find comfort among those who agree with us, growth among those who don't -Frank A. Clark

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect -Mark Twain
Thermal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th September 2021, 10:21 AM   #153
SuburbanTurkey
Penultimate Amazing
 
SuburbanTurkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Massachusetts, USA
Posts: 11,610
Originally Posted by Thermal View Post
Jesus Christ dude, we just covered this. OP acknowledged that he was interested in the diseased conservative mindset that does this. Or something. It's not a concern for cyclists, or dumb kids, or anything else. Just 'them conservatives'.

Which is fine. But the story is not about what conservatives like to do. It's about a dumb-ass kid who was presumably driving someone else's truck and did something really stupid and dangerous.
I could think the article proves that Elvis is still alive on Mars, not sure what this has to do with your refusal to accept that a kid trying to spray bikers with diesel exhaust is the pivotal element that lead to the crash.
__________________
Gobble gobble
SuburbanTurkey is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th September 2021, 10:25 AM   #154
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing
 
Thermal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: East Coast USA
Posts: 16,148
Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post
If you think about it, if you willfully ignore the central driving factor that caused this entire crash to happen, the whole incident takes on a different light. Curious
Literally everything about this story is actually more interesting than the irrelevancy you are focused on.

Sociopathic lack of empathy. Disregard for sharing the road. Freaking environmental responsibility.

Hey, how about the big one that I led off with: not being charged by police? If you want to politicize this, the police should be the first with their balls on the block.
__________________
We find comfort among those who agree with us, growth among those who don't -Frank A. Clark

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect -Mark Twain
Thermal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th September 2021, 10:30 AM   #155
junkshop
Critical Thinker
 
junkshop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Under the bed. Whose bed, you ask? That would be telling...sleep tight.
Posts: 385
Originally Posted by gregthehammer View Post
Maybe I'm dense, but how is it a dogwhistle if that is what he was doing?
I was wondering the same thing.
__________________
Not a Cockney.
junkshop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th September 2021, 10:34 AM   #156
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing
 
Thermal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: East Coast USA
Posts: 16,148
Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post
I could think the article proves that Elvis is still alive on Mars, not sure what this has to do with your refusal to accept that a kid trying to spray bikers with diesel exhaust is the pivotal element that lead to the crash.
Untrue. Of course it was the reason he was there. What I'm saying is that if you are trying to be a jerk, there are other ways of doing it too, and the rolling coal specifically is not important.. It was just at his disposal. Running up on their wheels or edging them off the road may have been another. The kid was trying to be a douche with whatever was at hand. If he was not riding in someone else's diesel, he might have thrown bottles or trash.

It's a question of starting assumptions. You assume political position. I assume generic douchebaggery.
__________________
We find comfort among those who agree with us, growth among those who don't -Frank A. Clark

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect -Mark Twain
Thermal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th September 2021, 11:04 AM   #157
Matthew Best
Philosopher
 
Matthew Best's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Leicester Square, London
Posts: 8,817
I'm completely baffled. I just read this thread from the start and on the entire first page nobody mentioned anything to do with politics or whether the driver might have been right-wing or left-wing or anything. Until Thermal said

Originally Posted by Thermal View Post
I see the story as "******* kid hits cyclists", not "One of those Conservatives are killing people again!"
which came literally out of nowhere and derailed the whole thing.

And now here we are.

Matthew Best is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th September 2021, 11:14 AM   #158
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist
 
Checkmite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Gulf Coast
Posts: 27,144
Originally Posted by Thermal View Post
No. It's the Rolling Coal thing that got your interest, right?
This honestly sounds more like your problem. You're okay with a accepting that something generically bad happened until it's alleged that the perpetrator was doing something that it happens some conservatives are known for doing at the time, at which point the whole thing becomes suspect in your eyes. Press photographs show a pile of smashed bicycles on the road and police officials are quoted as saying four cyclists were hospitalized by the wreck; but another cyclist who was literally at the scene at the time of the incident and harassed by the same perpetrator immediately before the accident is suddenly impeachable, for no other reason than because he said the truck driver was doing "a conservative thing" leading up to the collision and that can't possibly be true, right? That "witness" must obviously be embellishing or editorializing his account, probably to serve some anti-conservative agenda. A few pages ago you were even willing to assert that this teenager deliberately attempted to murder the cyclists rather than allow the possibility that a reckless attempt at an "anti-lib" antic resulted in an accident.
__________________
"¿WHAT KIND OF BIRD?
¿A PARANORMAL BIRD?"
--- Carlos S., 2002

Last edited by Checkmite; 29th September 2021 at 11:16 AM.
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th September 2021, 11:24 AM   #159
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing
 
Thermal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: East Coast USA
Posts: 16,148
Originally Posted by Checkmite View Post
This honestly sounds more like your problem. You're okay with a accepting that something generically bad happened until it's alleged that the perpetrator was doing something that it happens some conservatives are known for doing at the time, at which point the whole thing becomes suspect in your eyes. Press photographs show a pile of smashed bicycles on the road and police officials are quoted as saying four cyclists were hospitalized by the wreck; but another cyclist who was literally at the scene at the time of the incident and harassed by the same perpetrator immediately before the accident is suddenly impeachable, for no other reason than because he said the truck driver was doing "a conservative thing" leading up to the collision and that can't possibly be true, right? That "witness" must obviously be embellishing or editorializing his account, probably to serve some anti-conservative agenda. A few pages ago you were even willing to assert that this teenager deliberately attempted to murder the cyclists rather than allow the possibility that a reckless attempt at an "anti-lib" antic resulted in an accident.
No. Of course it is possible. Very much so. But you of all posters know how little tolerance I have for people being led around by the nose based on assumptions and narratives.

The kid had to have been right dead on top of the 6 cyclists to hit them all, unless we are assuming some kind of sustained acceleration. Fishtailing, as I've heard. That alone to me is far more serious than the coal rolling. Rolling coal is a supremely dickish thing to do. Putting your truck bumper on a pack of cyclists is exponentially worse, and IMO a far larger issue that he did that, rather than the why. I don't much care what the reason is that someone pointlessly risks someone else's life; I care that they pointlessly risked someone else's life. The actual reason is handled in the 'pointlessly' part.
__________________
We find comfort among those who agree with us, growth among those who don't -Frank A. Clark

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect -Mark Twain

Last edited by Thermal; 29th September 2021 at 11:26 AM.
Thermal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th September 2021, 11:26 AM   #160
SuburbanTurkey
Penultimate Amazing
 
SuburbanTurkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Massachusetts, USA
Posts: 11,610
Originally Posted by Thermal View Post
No. Of course it is possible. Very much so. But you of all posters know how little tolerance I have for people being led around by the nose based on assumptions and narratives.

The kid had to have been right dead on top of the 6 cyclists to hit them all, unless we are assuming some kind of sustained acceleration. Fishtailing, as I've heard. That alone to me is far more serious than the coal rolling. Rolling coal is a supremely dickish thing to do. Putting your truck bumper on a pack of cyclists is exponentially worse, and IMO a far larger issue that he did that, rather than the why. I don't much care what the reason is that someone pointlessly risks someone else's life; I care that they pointlessly risked some4one else's life. The actual reason is handled in the 'pointlessly' part.
Yes, we know you don't care about the motives of why bad actors do bad things, and you stridently object if anyone else does care. It's extremely odd.
__________________
Gobble gobble
SuburbanTurkey is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Reply

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:41 AM.
Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

This forum began as part of the James Randi Education Foundation (JREF). However, the forum now exists as
an independent entity with no affiliation with or endorsement by the JREF, including the section in reference to "JREF" topics.

Disclaimer: Messages posted in the Forum are solely the opinion of their authors.