IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 7th October 2021, 05:07 AM   #1
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Are you still unvaccinated and why?

As a counter to the "are you vaccinated" thread, I wonder how many here are not and why.

My wife and I got double dosed vaccinated a couple of months ago. Our state in Australia is tracking for 90% double dosed by mid November.

So who are the vax hesitant here?

Sir Winston Churchill
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th October 2021, 05:24 AM   #2
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by lionking
So who are the vax hesitant here?
It's old technology??

...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th October 2021, 05:29 AM   #3
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Have to wait at least two weeks after by Covid booster to get the Tetanus shot that is due.
But I will do it, I promise!
Old 7th October 2021, 07:42 AM   #4
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

I need to get in for both a Covid booster and flu shot.
Old 7th October 2021, 11:26 AM   #5
catsmate
No longer the 1

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
It's old technology??

A VMS joke, I like it.

In answer to the OP: of course not, fully vaccinated, and because I have a working brain and a lack of belief in nuttery.
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th October 2021, 01:49 PM   #6
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised

Fully vaccinated since May, so not yet quite eligible for the booster (8 months). Got my flu shot last week. Also vaccinated against stupidity.

I used to think that Republicans were just jerks. Now I'm convinced that they're all sick, evil, twisted pieces of [first of George Carlin's seven dirty words].

"Biden's a Commie, like the Rockefellers!" -- some idiot overheard
shemp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th October 2021, 03:42 PM   #7
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

https://www.newsweek.com/homeless-va...ngeles-1636119

If I had a pet panda I would name it Snowflake.
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th October 2021, 05:32 PM   #8
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

I'm mildly amused by lionking's professing to believe that anyone here might not be vaccinated. It's in SI&CE, not FC, so I'm supposed to take the proposition seriously, but I cannot.
Old 7th October 2021, 06:23 PM   #9
Hellbound
Merchant of Doom

Location: Not in Hell, but I can see it from here on a clear day...
Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
I'm mildly amused by lionking's professing to believe that anyone here might not be vaccinated. It's in SI&CE, not FC, so I'm supposed to take the proposition seriously, but I cannot.
Removed.

Last edited by Hellbound; 7th October 2021 at 07:02 PM.
Hellbound is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th October 2021, 06:32 PM   #10
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

I think it's a fair question. There are people here who have promoted anti-vax theories and, in some cases, quite openly opposed vaccination. So why not ask if they really are doing what they say?

I don't think it's "bigoted stereotypes" to note that some people have openly opposed vaccination here, but perhaps I misread the comment, as it seems I so often do with the prestige's offerings.

Quand il dit "cuic" le moineau croit tout dire. (When he's tweeted the sparrow thinks he's said it all. (Jules Renard)
bruto is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th October 2021, 06:36 PM   #11
Orphia Nay
Penguilicious Spodmaster.
Tagger

Location: Ponylandistan Presidential Palace (above the Spods' stables).
Be prepared to rein in any arguments about covid conspiracy theories or covid general discussion.

A poll might have been a better choice so as to avoid pile-ons.
Orphia Nay is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th October 2021, 06:58 PM   #12
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

This was not meant to be a trolling or callout thread. Vaccinations do not appear to be compulsory in most parts of the world. It seems that 10-20% object to vaccinations. I wanted to explore the whys amongst forum members.

Sir Winston Churchill
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th October 2021, 07:01 PM   #13
Hellbound
Merchant of Doom

Location: Not in Hell, but I can see it from here on a clear day...
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
This was not meant to be a trolling or callout thread. Vaccinations do not appear to be compulsory in most parts of the world. It seems that 10-20% object to vaccinations. I wanted to explore the whys amongst forum members.
Apologies. To clarify, I wasn't intending my initial post as a call-out, just refuting theprestiges assumption that no one here would be unvaccinated, by pointing out some members who have proclaimed themselves so. I'll edit out the post in question.

Last edited by Hellbound; 7th October 2021 at 07:06 PM.
Hellbound is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th October 2021, 08:05 PM   #14
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Originally Posted by Hellbound View Post
Apologies. To clarify, I wasn't intending my initial post as a call-out, just refuting theprestiges assumption that no one here would be unvaccinated, by pointing out some members who have proclaimed themselves so. I'll edit out the post in question.
You don’t need to do that. I wasn’t addressing my comment specifically to you.

Sir Winston Churchill
Old 7th October 2021, 08:08 PM   #15
Warp12
Master Poster

With the climate around here, it would be pretty unlikely that many would admit such a thing. Even though I am certain there are some.

Last edited by Warp12; 7th October 2021 at 08:16 PM.
Warp12 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th October 2021, 12:19 AM   #16
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena
Pronouns: he/him

Originally Posted by Warp12 View Post
With the climate around here, it would be pretty unlikely that many would admit such a thing. Even though I am certain there are some.
There are certainly some, but they won't post in this thread.
Old 8th October 2021, 12:23 AM   #17
Cain
Straussian

Of course I'm fully vaccinated. Two weeks ago I got the flu vaccine. I never drink alcohol, see my mother twice a week, and always try to include the Oxford comma.
Diablo: You're a lousy bigot. Apologise and withdraw that remark.
Cain: Nah.
Cain is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th October 2021, 12:23 AM   #18
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
I don’t see why not. If they are certain of their decision and believe they can justify it, why not? Plenty admitted to voting for Trump….

Sir Winston Churchill
Old 8th October 2021, 12:25 AM   #19
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena
Pronouns: he/him

Originally Posted by lionking View Post
I don’t see why not. If they are certain of their decision and believe they can justify it, why not? Plenty admitted to voting for Trump….
If they do, I predict that this thread will become a clone of the Conspiracy Theories thread.
Old 8th October 2021, 01:18 AM   #20
Childlike Empress
Ewige Blumenkraft

Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post

Wrong, I'm here. Any "why" will get moved to "CT" or "AAH" as you've mentioned so we'll cut this short. I've not taken any "medicine" since my teenage days and I'm certainly not going to start with this BS.
Old 8th October 2021, 01:20 AM   #21
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Originally Posted by Childlike Empress View Post
Wrong, I'm here. Any "why" will get moved to "CT" or "AAH" as you've mentioned so we'll cut this short. I've not taken any "medicine" since my teenage days and I'm certainly not going to start with this BS.
I call BS.
Old 8th October 2021, 01:20 AM   #22
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

I stand corrected.
Old 8th October 2021, 01:24 AM   #23
Venom
Philosopher

facepalm.
Venom is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th October 2021, 02:40 AM   #24
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Fair enough. I don't understand that "why" will end up in AAH. I don't want that to happen. Do you think they don't work, or that other remedies work better, or that cover doesn't really exist?

Sir Winston Churchill
Old 8th October 2021, 06:01 AM   #25
dann
Penultimate Amazing

Along with 'Uncle Luka', CE seems to think that coronavirus is a psychosis.
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th October 2021, 06:20 AM   #26
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by catsmate View Post
A VMS joke, I like it.
Will DCL for money. Also Datatrieve.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th October 2021, 06:27 AM   #27
Crossbow
Seeking Honesty and Sanity

Well, ...

If you are actually willing to throw your life away for no good reason, then that is your choice.

On 15 FEB 2019 'BobTheCoward' said: "I constantly assert I am a fool."

A man's best friend is his dogma.
Crossbow is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th October 2021, 07:41 AM   #28
Leftus
Master Poster

The lack of a compelling reason. I don't go into the office, I don't go out drinking in bars, I don't shop in the grocery store. The chances of me catching it are so low, they would increase by going in and getting the vaccine. I live alone, with a dog, and am not exposed to the diseased population at all.

I'm being compelled to get it started next week, but I'll be able to get some time off for the event, so I've got that going for me. I've got to be "fully vaccinated" by the 22nd of November, which is understood to be last dose by 2 week prior.
Leftus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th October 2021, 09:28 AM   #29
sackett
Philosopher

We are very glad to know that you are not vaccinated against COVID-19.

If you would ruin a man's character, let him seize power.
sackett is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th October 2021, 10:40 AM   #30
figarot
Muse

Sixty-some years ago (she'll say forty-eight) my youngest sister was born and not long thereafter she had to receive a handful of vaccinations. Well as soon as she did her dick fell off.

A few months ago she went for the Covid vaccine and her dick's since grown back though she's still waiting for her testicles. I'm not taking any chances. She's always been the brave one and it's done her no good.

Just kidding. Only got the first jab on Monday, the second one was automatically booked for mid-November. Took this long to get the first jab only b/c I haven't ventured out further than the nearest place I can get groceries since before the vaccine was available.
figarot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th October 2021, 11:06 AM   #31
Leftus
Master Poster

Back in the early 90's I was given a bad injection of what was probably a vaccine against Botulinum or maybe Anthrax, and it did me no favors. Of course, the government did not keep any records, so any life altering side effects can't be traced back to the vaccines, that they injected, but did not trace. The VA, giving you another chance to die for your country. So, yeah, the distrust isn't based on some wild conspiracy theory, but first hand experience.
Leftus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th October 2021, 12:41 PM   #32
CaptainHowdy
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Crossbow View Post
Well, ...

If you are actually willing to throw your life away for no good reason, then that is your choice.
That is the proper attitude to have. If you're vaccinated and your vaccine is effective, the unvaccinated won't concern you. You will feel the same way about them that you feel about people who refuse annual flu shots.
CaptainHowdy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th October 2021, 12:41 PM   #33
8enotto
Master Poster

Leftus, the military did that to another whole group of young soldiers in the mid 80's. I was one. Beta testing on people obligated to comply. Not good. So glad I never left the states while in service. That was another round of fun.

It does make new medical breakthroughs a bit scarier.
8enotto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th October 2021, 01:05 PM   #34
Leftus
Master Poster

Originally Posted by 8enotto View Post
Leftus, the military did that to another whole group of young soldiers in the mid 80's. I was one. Beta testing on people obligated to comply. Not good. So glad I never left the states while in service. That was another round of fun.

It does make new medical breakthroughs a bit scarier.
Well, history is robust with examples, and being one of them, I just don't react well to mandates. I'm not going to wait til the last minute to make sure I keep my rather cushy government job, but I wasn't the first in line, and to see people here just throw me into the group of loons, and then hand wave it away when I explain it, is rather tiring.
Old 8th October 2021, 05:19 PM   #35
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

Originally Posted by Thermal View Post
Well, it's possible to go without medicine for decades in the first World. I haven't taken anything I can think of other than occasional light duty antibiotics, often precautionary, since teen years (for injury related infections). Usually I let stuff go and get better in a little while anyway. It's not science or medicine denial on my part, just a combination of laziness and stubbornness.

Eta: except the Pfizer vaccine, a tetanus booster or two, and I got a flu shot I think once, that I promptly got sick after receiving. And Advil when stuff really hurts
Umm, antibiotics, light duty or not, are medicine. I too let stuff go, and then have to take . . . medicine(s). Tetanus boosters, flu shots, analgesics, are all medicines. You didn't go without medicines.

Dr. Brytney Cobia
Resume is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th October 2021, 06:25 PM   #36
Venom
Philosopher

Originally Posted by CaptainHowdy View Post
That is the proper attitude to have. If you're vaccinated and your vaccine is effective, the unvaccinated won't concern you. You will feel the same way about them that you feel about people who refuse annual flu shots.
Pure nonsense CaptainHowdy.

We have families. We share spaces with people who consume mass media and believe the misinformation that some paranoid/sociopathic fakenews outlets spew. It's far more than just the raw vaccine for this particular illness, but that's the line the deniers are sticking to these days. What else is a third of the country prepared to deny in the years to come?
Venom is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th October 2021, 07:05 PM   #37
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Resume View Post
Umm, antibiotics, light duty or not, are medicine.
Yes. Yes, thanks, I knew that.

Quote:
I too let stuff go, and then have to take . . . medicine(s).
And I let stuff go and...don't.

Quote:
Tetanus boosters, flu shots, analgesics, are all medicines. You didn't go without medicines.
Yes. Yes, thanks, I got that. I don't think you understand.

Another poster was ridiculed for claiming not to have taken medicines since teen years. I was pointing out that it is not all that outlandish a claim. I don't even give a ****, and have barely taken anything, and most of what I have taken, I probably could have done without. That's not to say I have taken none. It's pointing out that with modern sanitation and clean water and a bit of luck, some people go skipping right along without any needed medicines.

For example, I once got a weird contact dermatitis from what was believed to be belladonna poisoning. By the time I went to the doctor, it was pretty much already over, except for the draining blisters dotting the scratches on my arms and hands. The doc gave me a Z-pack "just in case". I prob would have been fine without it.

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect -Mark Twain
Thermal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th October 2021, 07:33 PM   #38
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

Skip it.

Dr. Brytney Cobia

Last edited by Resume; 8th October 2021 at 07:36 PM.
Resume is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th October 2021, 08:24 PM   #39
Childlike Empress
Ewige Blumenkraft

Originally Posted by Thermal View Post
Another poster was ridiculed for claiming not to have taken medicines since teen years. I was pointing out that it is not all that outlandish a claim. I don't even give a ****, and have barely taken anything, and most of what I have taken, I probably could have done without. That's not to say I have taken none. It's pointing out that with modern sanitation and clean water and a bit of luck, some people go skipping right along without any needed medicines..

Thanks. Sick people "ridiculing" healthy people. So 2021.
Old 8th October 2021, 08:25 PM   #40
CaptainHowdy
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Venom View Post
Pure nonsense CaptainHowdy.

We have families. We share spaces with people who consume mass media and believe the misinformation that some paranoid/sociopathic fakenews outlets spew. It's far more than just the raw vaccine for this particular illness, but that's the line the deniers are sticking to these days. What else is a third of the country prepared to deny in the years to come?
Did you get both the flu shot and the pneumonia shot this year? Or just the flu shot?
CaptainHowdy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events