IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 10th October 2021, 01:53 AM   #1
DevilsAdvocate
Philosopher

Soft White Underbelly

I just found this YouTube channel and I think it is amazing. Interviews with people who are down and out: drug addicts, prostitutes, schizophrenic, homeless, child sex victims, etc.

This is the appropriate counterpoint to the daytime talk shows that exploit people in trouble. This is how to actually talk to people and show people what life is like for some people and to encourage those people to seek help if their want.

This is the way this should be done, and is a great contrast to exploitatively television shows.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCv...58LwyTQP9LITpA
Old 10th October 2021, 01:54 AM   #2
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

How accessible are free mental health services to them?
Sideroxylon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th October 2021, 02:23 AM   #3
DevilsAdvocate
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Sideroxylon View Post
How accessible are free mental health services to them?
That is the really troubling thing. In all or almost all cases they have access to free mental health services. But they don't want it. It looks like the owner of the channel does fundraising to help people he interviews if they want help and cannot get funding.

It appears that most of these people don't want help. I think the interviewer is very good at not pushing anything while conducting the conversation in a way that could lead them to get help.

One of the more disturbing videos is a young guy hooked on crack and meth. He had a good childhood. Not troubled like many others. Been in out of jail for drugs. The interviewer pointed out how the drugs are damaging his life. He acknowledged that. Said he needed to get off the drugs. But when he was offered help, he is not interested doing that.
Old 10th October 2021, 02:41 AM   #4
dirtywick
Illuminator

My wife watches this pretty regularly. We have some addict issues in the family so it hits pretty close to home. My personal observations on addicts are that regardless of what the drug is or the circumstance it weirdly but basically turns them into the same person.

Dealing with addicts is really difficult
dirtywick is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th October 2021, 07:21 AM   #5
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

Really thought this was going to be one of those motivationall workout threads.

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect -Mark Twain
Thermal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th October 2021, 07:33 AM   #6
DevilsAdvocate
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Thermal View Post
Really thought this was going to be one of those motivationall workout threads.
It is. Watch some of those videos and you will work out motivation to take care of yourself and others. Some are difficult to watch but are quite informative. No pain, no gain.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events