IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 11th October 2021, 09:26 PM   #81
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

Originally Posted by rdwight View Post
If the woman knew the person from her apartment, why even bother with the confrontation? "That's Jim from 2A. Just call the cops and I will be a witness to the theft and give his home address." With the facts in hand, there is literally no reason to do anything besides let the crime happen and have the authorities deal with it.
Indeed. Proactively calling or waiting for the police to arrive and telling them the thief's exact identity would even seem to solve JoeMorgue's urge to "do something" besides just letting him get away with it.

I suspect the problem in this case is that she just really wanted to use her gun to heroically kill someone "bad" and convinced herself this was the opportunity she's been waiting for. Shooting the guy moments after he had brushed past her and was running away is consistent with this, as if it took a couple of seconds for her to realize, though erroneously, "wait - touching me is assault, I can definitely shoot him now!"
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th October 2021, 04:34 AM   #82
SuburbanTurkey
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Steve View Post
In this case it looks about 50/50. The perp that did the shoplifting was a victim of a shooting. The perp that was arrested for shooting the guy, on the other hand, does not seem to be a victim of any sort.
Not close to 50/50. The shoplifter is looking at a petty theft charge, maybe unarmed robbery if they decide pushing pass Wyatt Earp counts as violence in commission of a theft. Unless he has a tons of priors, probably not looking at much prison time if any at all.

Our vigilante is looking at a minimum aggravated assault, if not outright attempted murder. Even with a clean record, this is likely going to be a dramatically life changing experience with the criminal justice system.

Last edited by SuburbanTurkey; 12th October 2021 at 04:40 AM.
SuburbanTurkey is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th October 2021, 04:39 AM   #83
SuburbanTurkey
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Checkmite View Post
Indeed. Proactively calling or waiting for the police to arrive and telling them the thief's exact identity would even seem to solve JoeMorgue's urge to "do something" besides just letting him get away with it.

I suspect the problem in this case is that she just really wanted to use her gun to heroically kill someone "bad" and convinced herself this was the opportunity she's been waiting for. Shooting the guy moments after he had brushed past her and was running away is consistent with this, as if it took a couple of seconds for her to realize, though erroneously, "wait - touching me is assault, I can definitely shoot him now!"
Some people respond to carrying a weapon by moderating their behavior, rightly realizing that it's not worth escalating petty conflicts knowing that it could lead to deadly violence.

Others see the hidden gun on their hip as an ace up their sleeve and are emboldened to let no slight or petty injustice pass without confrontation.

To add my own baseless speculation to the pot, I very much doubt this woman would have tried to confront a petty thief if she didn't have the ultimate trump card on hand.
Old 12th October 2021, 05:33 AM   #84
Steve
Philosopher

Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post
Not close to 50/50. The shoplifter is looking at a petty theft charge, maybe unarmed robbery if they decide pushing pass Wyatt Earp counts as violence in commission of a theft. Unless he has a tons of priors, probably not looking at much prison time if any at all.

Our vigilante is looking at a minimum aggravated assault, if not outright attempted murder. Even with a clean record, this is likely going to be a dramatically life changing experience with the criminal justice system.
In context, and in response to the post I was responding to, it was exactly 50/50. One perp was also a victim, one perp was not a victim. The seriousness of the respective crimes is irrelevant to my point.
Old 12th October 2021, 05:58 AM   #85
plague311
Great minds think...

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.
Too right, and now we'll all get to wait and see how long her "stupid prize" ends up being. She better hope the guy lives, he's listed in critical condition.

It's hard to take you seriously when you have hung up on beer quality in murder case.
Technically it was Warp12 that was hung up on beer quality, as that was the post he was replying to, where Warp12 mentioned Natty.

“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th October 2021, 08:09 AM   #86
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

I feel like this story is a pitch for like the fourth or fifth worst Steven Segal movie ever.

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect -Mark Twain
Thermal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th October 2021, 08:11 AM   #87
plague311
Great minds think...

Originally Posted by Thermal View Post
I feel like this story is a pitch for like the fourth or fifth worst Steven Segal movie ever.
It would have to be a short.

“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th October 2021, 08:13 AM   #88
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by plague311 View Post
Steve could flesh it out by recounting how he worked for the CIA for 20 years, Navy SEALs for thirty, being a sniper for 45, Delta Force since WWI...

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect -Mark Twain
Thermal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th October 2021, 08:19 AM   #89
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Single shot.
Old 12th October 2021, 08:20 AM   #90
Warp12
Master Poster

I was thinking this might be a role for Glenn Danzig, based on the looks of the shooter.
Old 12th October 2021, 08:37 AM   #91
lobosrul5
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Doubt View Post
Looks like you need a better way to keep score.

2 victims and 2 perps. The store is a victim of a robbery. The guy is a victim of attempted murder. He is also the robber. The women who shot him attempted to kill him over property. There is no self defense here.

The idea that robbery justifies murder is an ethical compromise that is unhealthy to make both for the individual and for society as a whole. Anybody or any institution willing to make the compromise cannot be trusted to make sound judgements either morally or legally. Any system of rational justice makes sure that the punishment is proportional to the crime. Murder is not proportional to stealing a case of beer.
Actually no, unless basic facts about this have been misreported. The store is a victim of shoplifting. Robbery means force or threat of force to take something of value. He grabbed beer and tried to leave. Someone got in his way, and he pushed by her, but that doesn't make it robbery which is a felony while shoplifting is a misdemeanor (in AZ if the property is under $1000 and not a gun).
lobosrul5 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th October 2021, 09:01 AM   #92
plague311
Great minds think...

Originally Posted by Warp12 View Post
I was thinking this might be a role for Glenn Danzig, based on the looks of the shooter.
It's certainly not a flattering picture in the article, that's for sure. She's apparently a makeup artist that had dreams of being an actor. At one time lived in Las Vegas.

Here's her "Explore Talent" profile. With some pictures a bit less mugshotty.

Here's a twitter account of hers, but she hasn't posted anything in about 9ish + years. It would appear she's some form of a nurse or hospital employee.

All-in-all she seems fairly normal. Maybe she got caught up in the moment.

ETA: Looks like in 2016 she had a gofundme as well, due to her apartment burning down. Her and her friend\significant other\heterolifemate were looking for some funds, and got them, to move into a new place.

Last edited by plague311; 12th October 2021 at 09:04 AM.
Old 12th October 2021, 09:22 AM   #93
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by rdwight View Post
If the woman knew the person from her apartment, why even bother with the confrontation? "That's Jim from 2A. Just call the cops and I will be a witness to the theft and give his home address." With the facts in hand, there is literally no reason to do anything besides let the crime happen and have the authorities deal with it.
If that's true I wonder whether she had some previous interaction with him that left her looking to get even. Would she have intervened against a complete stranger?
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th October 2021, 09:38 AM   #94
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

It's hard to take you seriously when you have hung up on beer quality in murder case.
If the beer was worth killing for, I want to know what beer it was. And I don’t drink beer much anymore.

Eta: Of the Natty family of beers Naturdays would be my top choice. It can be hard to find sometimes, too. Just putting that into the discussion.

If I had a pet panda I would name it Snowflake.

Last edited by Dr. Keith; 12th October 2021 at 09:40 AM.
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th October 2021, 09:56 AM   #95
plague311
Great minds think...

Originally Posted by Dr. Keith View Post
If the beer was worth killing for, I want to know what beer it was. And I don’t drink beer much anymore.

Eta: Of the Natty family of beers Naturdays would be my top choice. It can be hard to find sometimes, too. Just putting that into the discussion.
It would be a hell of an advertising campaign.

Quote:
Naturdays, the beer so good you'll take a bullet for more!

Old 12th October 2021, 10:00 AM   #96
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

Maui Coconut Porter, yo. I'd kill a mother ****** to get a hold of a six of that.

Old 12th October 2021, 10:56 AM   #97
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

No way. I'd prefer that no one was able to legally carry, much less shoot, in all but the most dire circumstances. Just a little fascinated with how differently words are interpreted by different people.

To me, "he tried to push past her" does not at all mean the assault was in the past tense, or even that he succeeded in pushing past. Sounds more to me like he shoved her and she didn't give ground. It's my argument on almost every contentious thread: how much baggage are readers hanging on to the story?
So how did he run away, then? Don't pretend he didn't. If he didn't run off, how was he apprehended someplace else? If she gave no ground the guy would still be at the Circle K, dead probably.

...love and buttercakes...
abaddon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th October 2021, 11:02 AM   #98
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by abaddon View Post
So how did he run away, then? Don't pretend he didn't. If he didn't run off, how was he apprehended someplace else? If she gave no ground the guy would still be at the Circle K, dead probably.
Act 1: shoves woman, attempting to pass by her
Act 2: she gives no ground, leaving them still face to face
Act 3: she shoots. Like most shooting victims, he does not drop immediately, and again rushes by her, wounded but escaping this time.
Fin: bleeds out and collapses nearby

*curtain falls*

Old 12th October 2021, 11:31 AM   #99
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

She's apparently a makeup artist that had dreams of being an actor.
She's certainly got her 15 minutes of fame, so it all worked out in the end.
Old 12th October 2021, 11:32 AM   #100
plague311
Great minds think...

Originally Posted by The Atheist View Post
She's certainly got her 15 minutes of fame, so it all worked out in the end.
Absolutely, things are definitely looking up.

Old 12th October 2021, 11:55 AM   #101
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Maui Coconut Porter, yo. I'd kill a mother ****** to get a hold of a six of that.
Noted. I do like a good porter.

Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th October 2021, 11:57 AM   #102
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

It would be a hell of an advertising campaign.
May work better for Coors light?

Although I do like their current “the official beer of Saturday morning.”

Old 12th October 2021, 12:10 PM   #103
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

Noted. I do like a good porter.
I think it's called Hiwa or Hiya or something. It won all kinds of medals. I'm not talking Participation Medals, either. I'm talking Commiting to Becoming a Hawaiian Parking Lot Alchy Medals. Only found it on Oahu and a dive in Maryland.

Old 12th October 2021, 05:02 PM   #104
mgidm86
Philosopher

Act 1: shoves woman, attempting to pass by her
Act 2: she gives no ground, leaving them still face to face
Act 3: she shoots. Like most shooting victims, he does not drop immediately, and again rushes by her, wounded but escaping this time.
Fin: bleeds out and collapses nearby

*curtain falls*

Wrong. It's all in the reports yet you seem to be inventing facts not in existence.

https://www.azfamily.com/news/woman-...71efeefee.html

Quote:
Shekhmoos then said she walked into the store after him and told the clerk, who allegedly said they assumed "he was going to steal beer again." Shekhmoos told the clerk she wasn't going to allow the man to leave with the beer. As the man approached the door with a case of beer, police paperwork says Shekhmoos put her arm out and told the man he couldn't leave with the beer and warned him not to touch her and that she had a gun. The man pushed into her with his chest and case of beer, eventually pushing past her, nearly knocking her down.

He didn't break the law pushing past her. She tried to impede his progress and he pushed past her. The word "shove" is not used. But even if he did she had no right to shoot him.

Quote:
Shekhmoos pulled out her gun and shot the man as he was leaving the store, still carrying the beer. Shekhmoos admitted the man was walking away when she decided to shoot,

I also would push past anyone trying to keep me from leaving a convenience store. Hands off, wtf?
Old 12th October 2021, 05:19 PM   #105
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena
Pronouns: he/him

Originally Posted by mgidm86 View Post
I also would push past anyone trying to keep me from leaving a convenience store. Hands off, wtf?
Even if they told you they had a gun?
Old 12th October 2021, 07:16 PM   #106
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by mgidm86 View Post
Wrong. It's all in the reports yet you seem to be inventing facts not in existence.
*rubbing temples*

Dude. Kick it out of screensaver for a bit.

That poster was asking about a page one post of mine, where I commented on the ambiguity of the article wording.

None of the subsequent information was on the table yet. It was just about the article phrasing, not what we learned since then.

Up to speed now?

Old 13th October 2021, 12:02 AM   #107
Hlafordlaes
Disorder of Kilopi

Originally Posted by Warp12 View Post
Well, I hope he learned his lesson. Douche.

Edited by zooterkin:  <SNIP>
Edited for rule 0 and rule 12.
Indeed! Death penalty for all that irks us. This is the logical and predictable outcome of the gun lobby's goal of a gun in every pocket... Well, not every pocket, let's be fair: every White, GOP pocket. The police will rightfully surround and draw weapons on non-Whites who legally open carry. Can't have armed lesser humans!
Let's see, no mask, deadly virus... let's draw on them GOP suckers and donate some lead! What a wonderful idea, this gunning down anything we feel wrong!! Who needs law, judges or juries? Fantastic savings.

Last edited by Hlafordlaes; 13th October 2021 at 12:03 AM.
Hlafordlaes is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th October 2021, 08:25 AM   #108
plague311
Great minds think...

None of the subsequent information was on the table yet. It was just about the article phrasing, not what we learned since then.
All of the information he posted was available when you made your very first page 1 statement. You just didn't look anywhere else except the OP's link.

In fact, you made the initial statement on 10/11 @ 10:43 a.m., then said something very similar at 11:28 a.m., and then again at 11:42 a.m. and then I provided 3 sources refuting it all at 12:03 p.m.

It was wrong from the get-go. The initial post was a little bit vague, but all of the correct information was readily available at the time.

Old 13th October 2021, 08:32 AM   #109
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

All of the information he posted was available when you made your very first page 1 statement. You just didn't look anywhere else except the OP's link.

In fact, you made the initial statement on 10/11 @ 10:43 a.m., then said something very similar at 11:28 a.m., and then again at 11:42 a.m. and then I provided 3 sources refuting it all at 12:03 p.m.

It was wrong from the get-go. The initial post was a little bit vague, but all of the correct information was readily available at the time.
*rubbing temples*

Yes,
that's what my post was commenting on. The ambiguity of the language, and the way different people interpret the same wording. There's now three separate posters who genuinely can't figure that out. Astounding, in it's way.

Last edited by zooterkin; 15th October 2021 at 08:50 AM.
Old 13th October 2021, 08:51 AM   #110
plague311
Great minds think...

*rubbing temples*

Yes,
that's what my post was commenting on. The ambiguity of the language, and the way different people interpret the same wording. There's now three separate posters who genuinely can't figure that out. Astounding, in it's way.
you said, and I ******* quote:

Originally Posted by Thermal
None of the subsequent information was on the table yet.
I merely pointed out this statement is complete and total ********. It was all on the table. It was all readily available for your consumption at the very time you made every single post you've ever made in this thread, ever. You were just either too lazy or didn't care enough to look it up.

Last edited by zooterkin; 15th October 2021 at 08:51 AM.
Old 13th October 2021, 09:28 AM   #111
Steve
Philosopher

Don't call me a
, you said, and I ******* quote:

I merely pointed out this statement is complete and total ********. It was all on the table. It was all readily available for your consumption at the very time you made every single post you've ever made in this thread, ever. You were just either too lazy or didn't care enough to look it up.

If everyone here did that there would be no more forum.

Last edited by zooterkin; 15th October 2021 at 08:51 AM.
Steve is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th October 2021, 09:41 AM   #112
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

you said, and I ******* quote:

Right. "On the table". That means presented for discussion here. As if it was "on the table" in front of us.

Do you really not understand that, or are you ******* with me?

Last edited by zooterkin; 15th October 2021 at 08:52 AM.
Old 13th October 2021, 09:46 AM   #113
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by Steve View Post
If everyone here did that there would be no more forum.
I know this a joke, but the idea that we need wrong opinions or we're "in an echo chamber" is a damaging one.

There's plenty to talk about under the umbrella of "Not completely insane fact-less nonsense."

"Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is paid." - Valery Legasov
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th October 2021, 09:53 AM   #114
plague311
Great minds think...

Right. "On the table". That means presented for discussion here. As if it was "on the table" in front of us.

LoL Jesus Christ. The topic was "on the table". If you're going to use this sad ass, ******** excuse that no one spoon fed you the information, so you're not responsible for making completely made up scenarios out of no where due to be too lazy to do anything beyond read the quoted parts of the OP, then go right ahead.

Old 13th October 2021, 10:23 AM   #115
catsmate
No longer the 1

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
There's plenty to talk about under the umbrella of "Not completely insane fact-less nonsense."
It might require some personality modifications for certain posters
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th October 2021, 10:26 AM   #116
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by catsmate View Post
It might require some personality modifications for certain posters
Does commenting on ambiguous wording in the OP article, and how different posters run with it, qualify as "completely insane and factless nonsense"? This isn't the International Stupid Forum, you know.

Old 13th October 2021, 10:41 AM   #117
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Does commenting on ambiguous wording in the OP article, and how different posters run with it, qualify as "completely insane and factless nonsense"? This isn't the International Stupid Forum, you know.
News article poorly written? That should have its own sub forum, don’t you think?

Old 13th October 2021, 10:45 AM   #118
plague311
Great minds think...

You're right. The best thing to do when you find an ambiguously worded article is to not go out and find clarifying information.

Just go off of that one post, because no one else has found more info for you, and then call everyone else "dummy" and "stupid" because you can't be bothered to take a skeptics approach.

Old 13th October 2021, 10:49 AM   #119
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

You're right. The best thing to do when you find an ambiguously worded article is to not go out and find clarifying information.

Just go off of that one post, because no one else has found more info for you, and then call everyone else "dummy" and "stupid" because you can't be bothered to take a skeptics approach.
Christ, you're still banging on about this???

My comment was about interpretations of ambiguous wording. It was not a goddamned forensic reconstruction of the story, with all the available information out there in the Universe.

Jesus, this place.

Old 13th October 2021, 11:15 AM   #120
plague311
Great minds think...

Christ, you're still banging on about this???
Christ, are you still banging on about this?

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events