IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 13th October 2021, 12:45 PM   #1
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Several dead in reported bow and arrow attack in Norway

Quote:
(CNN) Several people have been killed and others were injured by an attacker in the Norwegian town of Kongsberg, according to Norwegian police.

A suspect has been arrested and the situation is under control, a press officer for Norway's police force told CNN on Wednesday.

The suspected attacker was using a bow and arrow, a local Kongsberg police spokesman also said.
CNN: https://www.cnn.com/2021/10/13/europ...ntl/index.html

"Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is paid." - Valery Legasov
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th October 2021, 03:32 PM   #2
deadrose
Illuminator

He managed to kill 5 and wound 2, in a grocery store.
deadrose is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th October 2021, 03:40 PM   #3
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by deadrose View Post
That is pretty bizarre, frankly. It;'s going to be interesting to see how exactly he managed to do that.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th October 2021, 03:40 PM   #4
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

Originally Posted by deadrose View Post
Reuters says that there was more than one crime scene, spread over a "larger area" of the town.
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th October 2021, 06:48 PM   #5
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
That is pretty bizarre, frankly. It;'s going to be interesting to see how exactly he managed to do that.
There's no trick to it.

When you're using a bow, people don't know where it's coming from, or what's happening. I reckon I could take out five or more in a shopping centre before they realised what was going on and to take cover.

I just hope it's not one of my mates from the bowhunter club.
Old 13th October 2021, 08:52 PM   #6
Ryokan
Insert something funny here

A Danish citizen, registered as living in Kongsberg, Norway and a convert to Islam. He surrendered to police after warning shots were fired.

That's what's being said. We will know more soon.
Ryokan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th October 2021, 10:15 PM   #7
Hevneren
Critical Thinker

The Danes ruled Norway till 1814. I don't hope this is the start of the reconquest.
Hevneren is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th October 2021, 11:31 PM   #8
Ryokan

Originally Posted by Hevneren View Post
The Danes ruled Norway till 1814. I don't hope this is the start of the reconquest.
The Danes didn't rule Norway. You could say Norway was ruled from Denmark, I guess, since the capital and the king was in Copenhagen. But it was a union. The name of the kingdom was Denmark-Norway.
Ryokan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th October 2021, 11:40 PM   #9
dann
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Atheist View Post
When you're using a bow, people don't know where it's coming from, or what's happening.

I think the arrow kind of gives it away. Both what's happening and where it's coming from.
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th October 2021, 11:46 PM   #10
dann
Penultimate Amazing

A 37-year-old Dane but a resident of Kongsberg, Norway:
Dansk statsborger sigtet efter dødeligt angreb i Kongsberg (DR.dk, Oct 14, 2021)
And he used other weapons besides the bow and arrow, but it does not mention the kind of weapons:
Politiet: Gerningsmand brugte andre våben end bue og pil (DR.dk, Oct 14, 2021)
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th October 2021, 11:51 PM   #11
dann
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Ryokan View Post
The Danes didn't rule Norway. You could say Norway was ruled from Denmark, I guess, since the capital and the king was in Copenhagen. But it was a union. The name of the kingdom was Denmark-Norway.

Tordenskjold is considered to be a hero in both countries. And Holberg is considered the founder of modern Danish and Norwegian literature.
Old 14th October 2021, 12:16 AM   #12
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena
Pronouns: he/him

Originally Posted by dann View Post
I think the arrow kind of gives it away. Both what's happening and where it's coming from.
Many's the time I've been shot by an arrow that I never saw coming from a direction I didn't expect.

I'm talking about LARP battle games, but the concept tracks. Arrows are more or less silent and unless you know there's an archer pointing one at you, you might have one in your chest before you even know you're in danger.
Old 14th October 2021, 12:20 AM   #13
Ryokan

Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
Many's the time I've been shot by an arrow that I never saw coming from a direction I didn't expect.

I'm talking about LARP battle games, but the concept tracks. Arrows are more or less silent and unless you know there's an archer pointing one at you, you might have one in your chest before you even know you're in danger.
One witness reports seeing a confused man exit the supermarket with an arrow in his back.
Old 14th October 2021, 01:42 AM   #14
dann
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post

But at the moment of impact it points in the direction of the shooter.
Old 14th October 2021, 01:45 AM   #15
sphenisc
Philosopher

You couldn't be more wrong.
Old 14th October 2021, 01:46 AM   #16
dann
Penultimate Amazing

He is a convert to Islam and was already known to the police. The victims are four women and one man, ages 50 to 70: Siktede er kjent for politiet fra flere saker - bekymringer om radikalisering (NRK.no, Oct 14, 2021)
Old 14th October 2021, 01:48 AM   #17
dann
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by sphenisc View Post
You couldn't be more wrong.

It is obviously the opposite direction, but it's not like what you see in crime investigation movies where forensic investigators have to put straws into bullet holes to figure out the trajectory.
Old 14th October 2021, 01:51 AM   #18
Ryokan

Police had been warned about his radicalization.
Old 14th October 2021, 02:19 AM   #19
LondonJohn
Penultimate Amazing

It is obviously the opposite direction, but it's not like what you see in crime investigation movies where forensic investigators have to put straws into bullet holes to figure out the trajectory.

Well, to be precise, the horizontal component of the arrow's orientation at point of entry will (barring the presence of strong winds) indicate the lateral direction from which it was fired. But the vertical component is a much more complicated element, owing to the significant influence of gravity on an arrow. If it can be assumed that the archer was at more-or-less the same elevation as the target, then one can use ballistics analysis - also taking into account the effect of drag on the bow - to estimate the distance between archer and target. Obviously if the archer and target were (or might have been) at significantly different elevations from each other, things get way more complicated still.
LondonJohn is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th October 2021, 02:29 AM   #20
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

I'm not an expert on the subject, but I doubt most people who have just been shot with an arrow stand very still.
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th October 2021, 03:33 AM   #21
dann
Penultimate Amazing

So do I, which is why I wrote "at the moment of impact."
Old 14th October 2021, 03:40 AM   #22
Dave Rogers
Bandaged ice that stampedes inexpensively through a scribbled morning waving necessary ankles

Originally Posted by LondonJohn View Post
But the vertical component is a much more complicated element, owing to the significant influence of gravity on an arrow.
Hence the significance of the first few letters of the word "archery".

Dave

- President Joseph R. Biden, January 20th, 2021
Dave Rogers is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th October 2021, 04:14 AM   #23
Jack by the hedge
Safely Ignored

Originally Posted by Dave Rogers View Post
Hence the significance of the first few letters of the word "archery".

Dave
Surely "arch" comes from the shape of a bow (Latin "arcus") rather than the trajectory of the arrow.
Jack by the hedge is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th October 2021, 04:31 AM   #24
Dave Rogers
Bandaged ice that stampedes inexpensively through a scribbled morning waving necessary ankles

Originally Posted by Jack by the hedge View Post
Surely "arch" comes from the shape of a bow (Latin "arcus") rather than the trajectory of the arrow.
Could be, yes; I have no recollection of where I heard that derivation, so for credibility it rates a zero.

Dave

- President Joseph R. Biden, January 20th, 2021
Dave Rogers is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th October 2021, 05:16 AM   #25
Ryokan

The archer is Espen Bråthen, a 27 year old man native to Kongsberg where the incident happened. His father is Norwegian and his mother is Danish. He has Danish citizenship, despite having lived in Norway all his life. He recently converted to Islam, and last year gained the attention of the police after people reported his extreme and rapid radicalization.

He has had a lot of trouble with police in the past, including a police intervention when he threatened to kill his own father.

In the far right circles this is already used as evidence of the inherent danger of all Muslims.
Old 14th October 2021, 07:33 AM   #26
dann
Penultimate Amazing

Photo (TV2.dk, Oct 14, 2021). He grew up in Norway, so we take no responsibility!
Old 14th October 2021, 07:43 AM   #27
plague311
Great minds think...

In the far right circles this is already used as evidence of the inherent danger of all Muslims.
Good to see some behavior transcends borders. Seems like the far right in every country use these as opportunities to do the same thing.

“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th October 2021, 07:50 AM   #28
Warp12
Master Poster

You have to wonder if this is how "mass shootings" went down in medieval times.
Old 14th October 2021, 08:47 AM   #29
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

So do I, which is why I wrote "at the moment of impact."
Yes, but if it's only pointing that way for a moment, observers (including the target, BTW) may not be able to use that to infer the direction of attack accurately.
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th October 2021, 08:51 AM   #30
plague311
Great minds think...

Did all of the killings take place inside or was it outside too? I saw mention of multiple weapons. Did this guy get up close and personal with these killings or was everything from a range?

“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th October 2021, 09:29 AM   #31
Ryokan

Originally Posted by plague311 View Post
Did all of the killings take place inside or was it outside too? I saw mention of multiple weapons. Did this guy get up close and personal with these killings or was everything from a range?
They were in various places over a large area. We already know about the supermarket. There have been reports of him entering peoples' homes and attack those inside. He did have at least two encounters with the police outside, where he shot at them with arrows and then managed to shake them.

The police has said he had multiple weapons, but have not said what kind or if he used them.

We know a lot more than we did this morning, but there's still a lot we don't know.

He seems to me to be someone attracted to extremism, and might not have cared what kind. There was an interview with two young women who had been his neighbour, and they said he was a very scary guy and would growl at them on the street. One of them, a black girl, said he had made racist comments at her.

Another neighbour had seen him practice with weapons like sticks and nunchucks in his backyard.

Usually in cases like these, the neighbours are surprised. He seemed like such a nice and quiet guy! Not this guy. Everyone seems to agree he was a ticking bomb.

He converted to Islam in 2017, which he announced in a video on social media that was so extreme and scary that people who knew him contacted the police, saying they were worried that he could do something violent.

There have been no reports on him being in any Islamic communities or attending local mosques.
Old 14th October 2021, 09:40 AM   #32
plague311
Great minds think...

They were in various places over a large area. We already know about the supermarket. There have been reports of him entering peoples' homes and attack those inside. He did have at least two encounters with the police outside, where he shot at them with arrows and then managed to shake them.

The police has said he had multiple weapons, but have not said what kind or if he used them.

We know a lot more than we did this morning, but there's still a lot we don't know.

He seems to me to be someone attracted to extremism, and might not have cared what kind. There was an interview with two young women who had been his neighbour, and they said he was a very scary guy and would growl at them on the street. One of them, a black girl, said he had made racist comments at her.

Another neighbour had seen him practice with weapons like sticks and nunchucks in his backyard.

Usually in cases like these, the neighbours are surprised. He seemed like such a nice and quiet guy! Not this guy. Everyone seems to agree he was a ticking bomb.

He converted to Islam in 2017, which he announced in a video on social media that was so extreme and scary that people who knew him contacted the police, saying they were worried that he could do something violent.

There have been no reports on him being in any Islamic communities or attending local mosques.
Thanks for the breakdown! I'm interested to hear what more comes of it. I respect individual rights, but it's too bad that in cases like this the police have to wait for something to happen before doing anything.

Old 14th October 2021, 09:42 AM   #33
Cain
Straussian

Lauren Bobert, a member of Congress and Mensa, observes:

"A man in Norway just killed a bunch of people with a bow and arrow.

Norway has some of the strictest gun laws around, yet mass killings still occur.

Liberals need to understand it is not the gun - it is the criminal who commits the act!"

The government of Norway has killed people, and the government of North Korea has killed people. It doesn't matter how "democratic" or "liberal" you make your government, it's still going to kill people. Rather pointless to have any laws at all, really.
Diablo: You're a lousy bigot. Apologise and withdraw that remark.
Cain: Nah.
Cain is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th October 2021, 10:08 AM   #34
dann
Penultimate Amazing

Unfortunate coincidence:
Quote:
I ny komedie truer Rasmus Bjergs hovedrolle norske betjente med bue og pil.
Nordisk Film udskyder premiere på komedie efter drab i Norge (DR.dk, Oct 14, 2021)
In a new Danish comedy, which was meant to premiere on Nov 11, Rasmus Berg stars as a Dane who threatens two Norwegian policemen with bow and arrows.
The premiere has now been postponed.

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
Old 14th October 2021, 10:10 AM   #35
Ryokan

Originally Posted by Cain View Post
Lauren Bobert, a member of Congress and Mensa, observes:

"A man in Norway just killed a bunch of people with a bow and arrow.

Norway has some of the strictest gun laws around, yet mass killings still occur.

Liberals need to understand it is not the gun - it is the criminal who commits the act!"

The government of Norway has killed people, and the government of North Korea has killed people. It doesn't matter how "democratic" or "liberal" you make your government, it's still going to kill people. Rather pointless to have any laws at all, really.
Norway does not have some of the strictest gun laws around. On the list of countries with the most civilian guns per capita we're at #17 out of 230. Gun ownership isn't that uncommon in Norway. We're a hunting nation.

I'm more than willing to sit down with Lauren Bobert and look at the statistics and compare the frequency of mass killings in our two countries.
Old 14th October 2021, 10:11 AM   #36
plague311
Great minds think...

I'm more than willing to sit down with Lauren Bobert and look at the statistics and compare the frequency of mass killings in our two countries.
Dear God, sir, no. Don't.

Old 14th October 2021, 10:11 AM   #37
dann
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Cain View Post
Lauren Bobert, ...
GOP Rep. Lauren Boebert Ridiculed Over Response To Norway’s Bow And Arrow Killings (Yahoo News)

GOP Rep. Lauren Boebert Ridiculed Over Response To Norway’s Bow And Arrow Killings (HuffPost)

Last edited by dann; 14th October 2021 at 10:19 AM.
Old 14th October 2021, 10:57 AM   #38
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Neither, although the people around the person with an arrow in them will realise that soon.

When someone starts shooting with a gun, the sound gives away the direction of the shooter. With a bow, unless you see the arrow hit, you wouldn't have a clue.

I've never shot a human, but I'm guessing human reaction would be much the same as other large mammals - an immediate large jump, which is going to leave the arrow pointing in a direction other than where the shot came from. With the being no sound, I'm sure the shock factor of seeing someone suddenly have an arrow sticking out of them is going to cause some serious confusion for several seconds. Again, with a gun, you know where to run from, with an arrow, you don't and might be running straight towards the archer.

And what are the chances of that? You'd have to be looking at the part of the person that gets hit, and arrows are pretty fast and I wouldn't guarantee any normal person would be able to pinpoint more than a general direction at the first strike. Even if it's a really good shot and drops a person on the spot, they're going to crumple and the arrow will be pointing somewhere else.

Given that once people realise someone is shooting arrows at them their first instinct will be to seek cover or run away, they're going to have to figure out where it's coming from first, and I think that's going to be much more difficult than you realise.
Old 14th October 2021, 10:59 AM   #39
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

Norway does not have some of the strictest gun laws around. On the list of countries with the most civilian guns per capita we're at #17 out of 230. Gun ownership isn't that uncommon in Norway. We're a hunting nation.
I remember while doing some research a while ago reading that people visiting Svalbard are actually required to have a firearm, or rent one locally, to protect themselves from bears if they want to go outside the Longyearbyen town limits for any amount of time. This applies equally to tour groups, educational institution field trips, and people visiting on private boats.

It has been reported in the news that immediately after this incident the Norwegian police were ordered to start carrying guns for a time while they usually do not. Maybe the poster saw that report and made some assumptions about Norway's attitude toward guns.

Last edited by Checkmite; 14th October 2021 at 11:03 AM.
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th October 2021, 12:16 PM   #40
Ryokan

Norwegian newspaper VG has published the video he made when he came out as a Muslim in 2017. It's in English.

https://www.vgtv.no/video/226649/vid...gsberg-siktede

It's at 0:25 into the video.

He doesn't seem like the brightest guy.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events