IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 13th October 2021, 02:28 PM   #1
Mike Helland
Master Poster

Luminosity and Flux

https://lonewolfonline.net/luminosity-flux-stars/

Flux = Luminosity / 4pi*r2

That's the luminosity, divided by the area of a sphere, as defined by the sphere's radius.

That means, assuming a star's luminosity is fixed, the amount of flux changes with the distance to the star.

Alternatively, we could say:

Flux = Luminosity / 4pi*(ct)2

Where r is replaced by ct, which is the speed of light times the travel time to the star at the speed of light, which gives us the distance r.

Any problem with that?
Mike Helland is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th October 2021, 02:53 PM   #2
Kid Eager
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Mike Helland View Post

That's the luminosity, divided by the area of a sphere, as defined by the sphere's radius.

That means, assuming a star's luminosity is fixed, the amount of flux changes with the distance to the star.

Where r is replaced by ct, which is the speed of light times the travel time to the star at the speed of light, which gives us the distance r.

Any problem with that?
Yes - *why* substitute, when the unit of measurement of r for star flux is a light year?
Old 13th October 2021, 05:05 PM   #3
Mike Helland
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Kid Eager View Post
Yes - *why* substitute, when the unit of measurement of r for star flux is a light year?
Wouldn't you would need to convert that to meters to get back SI units?
Mike Helland is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th October 2021, 06:16 AM   #4
bobdroege7
Illuminator

Real men measure things in rods.

Graduate of a liberal arts college!

Faster play faster faster play faster
bobdroege7 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th October 2021, 07:04 AM   #5
Crossbow
Seeking Honesty and Sanity

Any problem with that?
I am not entirely sure ...

If one is assuming that the Luminosity in question is radiated from a point source (where all of the radiation is distributed uniformly in all directions), and

If one is assuming that the all of the Luminosity is being measured in terms of some perfectly spherical surface at some uniform distance from the source of the Luminosity in question, and

If the speed of the Luminosity in question is equal to the speed of light,

Then 'Yes', your equation is valid.

Does this help?

On 15 FEB 2019 'BobTheCoward' said: "I constantly assert I am a fool."

A man's best friend is his dogma.
Crossbow is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th October 2021, 09:31 AM   #6
wea
Critical Thinker

Any problem with that?
Isn't it flux density?

Last edited by wea; 14th October 2021 at 09:36 AM.
wea is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th October 2021, 12:58 PM   #7
MRC_Hans
Penultimate Amazing

Any problem with that?
The square rule applies to the apparent luminosity of stars.

What is your point?

Hans
Old 14th October 2021, 01:03 PM   #8
Crossbow
Seeking Honesty and Sanity

Originally Posted by wea View Post
Isn't it flux density?
I think that Flux Density would work out to:

Flux = Luminosity /((4/3)*(pi)*(r3))

On 15 FEB 2019 'BobTheCoward' said: "I constantly assert I am a fool."

A man's best friend is his dogma.
Crossbow is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th October 2021, 02:52 PM   #9
marting
Master Poster

Any problem with that?
The linked article incorrectly states flux as W^-2. It's W m^-2. Clearly knows it but just made an error in the doc.
Old 15th October 2021, 02:30 AM   #10
wea
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by wea View Post
Isn't it flux density?
Originally Posted by Crossbow View Post
I think that Flux Density would work out to:

Flux = Luminosity /((4/3)*(pi)*(r3))
ok, I had to look it up

http://star-www.rl.ac.uk/docs/sc6.htx/sc6se5.html

"different authors define the terms flux density, flux and intensity differently...sometimes...interchangeably"

Still waiting to see what OP thinks the problem is
wea is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology