IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags UK issues , uk politics

Old 5th April 2021, 08:26 AM   #761
gypsyjackson
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
Probably needs gypsyjackson to check with their brother to confirm it.
Iíll ask. If only because Iím intrigued by this new poster.
gypsyjackson is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th April 2021, 04:50 PM   #762
gypsyjackson
Graduate Poster

Sadly I can’t edit - bro doesn’t remember him, and gently pointed out that his class year had 1000 students, not 90 like mine, so even if they had done the same subjects they could have had different classes. Surie from Eurovision was another from the same time he didn’t remember. Perhaps my brother just has a bad memory.
gypsyjackson is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th April 2021, 02:41 AM   #763
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Corbynites are demanding Starmer’s resignation if Labour loses Hartlepool in the upcoming election.
I would take them a bit more seriously if they hadn’t claimed a man who lost Leigh, Rother Valley, Sedgefield, Bolsover, Bassetlaw, Blythe Valley, Darlington, Bishop Auckland, Workington, etc etc had “won the argument”.
Captain_Swoop is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th April 2021, 08:33 AM   #764
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Sir John Major, educated Rutlish grammar in Wimbledon, saying when he left No 10 he got a lot of highly remunerative job offers he felt it would be inappropriate for a former PM to consider.

If only David Cameron, educated Eton, had such class.
Captain_Swoop is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th April 2021, 08:59 AM   #765
catsmate
No longer the 1

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Sir John Major, educated Rutlish grammar in Wimbledon, saying when he left No 10 he got a lot of highly remunerative job offers he felt it would be inappropriate for a former PM to consider.

If only David Cameron, educated Eton, had such class.
Yes, the Major years are looking now like a silver era at worst.
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th April 2021, 10:29 AM   #766
Wudang
BOFH

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...-experts-claim

Originally Posted by Guardian
Officials at Downing Street have been accused of rewriting much of its controversial report into racial and ethnic disparities, despite appointing an independent commission to conduct an honest investigation into inequality in the UK.
Old 12th April 2021, 04:30 AM   #767
sphenisc
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Wudang View Post
Aren't there rules against that kind of thing?
Old 12th April 2021, 04:34 AM   #768
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by sphenisc View Post
Aren't there rules against that kind of thing?
No. It was simply a report someone was commissioned to make. Many reports Iíve been paid for are then edited by the commissioner, I have to admit Iím not very happy when my name is left on heavily edited reports but hey theyíve bought it.

Not heard any of the authors decrying the editing so I would assume nothing egregious in their opinion happened in the editing.
Old 12th April 2021, 04:36 AM   #769
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

"Call me Dave" is being investigated.

Quote:
The government is expected to announce an investigation into David Cameron's efforts to lobby ministers on behalf of finance firm Greensill Capital.

The former prime minister has been criticised for contacting ministers via text on behalf of the company, which collapsed in March.

The probe is likely to be independent, carried out on behalf of the Cabinet Office, the BBC understands.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-56720141
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th April 2021, 04:47 AM   #770
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by The Don View Post
"Call me Dave" is being investigated.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-56720141
Perhaps theyíll get Cameronís fag to conduct it?
Old 12th April 2021, 11:23 AM   #771
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Interesting article about Slough grammar and how it infects and pollutes our political environment.

https://www.theguardian.com/books/20...hey-perfect-it
Old 12th April 2021, 12:48 PM   #772
RolandRat
Muse

"The UK Government has referred two Bills passed unanimously by the Scottish Parliament to the Supreme Court over concerns it is outwith Holyrood’s powers.

The United Nations Convention on the Rights of the Child (Incorporation) (Scotland) Bill and the European Charter of Local Self-Government (Incorporation) (Scotland) Bill were passed in the weeks leading up to the parliamentary recess.

The UK Government has insisted the referral was not due to the substance of the Bills, but because of technical aspects which may place legal duties on UK Ministers, but First Minister Nicola Sturgeon has described the move as “morally repugnant”.

A spokeswoman for the UK Government said: “UK Government Law Officers have today referred two Bills from the Scottish Parliament to the Supreme Court under Section 33 of the Scotland Act 1998.

“The UK Government Law Officers’ concerns are not about the substance of the legislation, rather whether parts are outwith the legislative competence of the Scottish Parliament.”

Deputy First Minister John Swinney also promised to fight the challenge, which he sought to paint as an attack on the rights of children.

“Now, the Tory Westminster Government is trying to veto those rights. That is not just morally repugnant but it is also deeply menacing.

“The only people who need fear this Bill are people who want to breach children’s rights.

“The only people who want to block this Bill are people who know they are already breaking those rights.

“So, if the Tories want to target the rights of Scottish children, then they can expect to see us in court.”

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/sturgeon-a...165043612.html
RolandRat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th April 2021, 02:41 PM   #773
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
Interesting article about Slough grammar and how it infects and pollutes our political environment.

https://www.theguardian.com/books/20...hey-perfect-it
"Come, friendly bombs and fall on Slough
It isn't fit for humans now"

That little rhyme was written in 1937. .....Just something about Sloush, I guess.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th April 2021, 02:43 PM   #774
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Now with the Welsh talking about Indepedence i think the UK might well be a thing of the past.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 12:38 PM   #775
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Letter from Eric Pickles, chair of Advisory Committee on Business Appointments, reveals that Bill Crothers, the senior civil servant who became a director at Greensill, joined the company as an advisor while he was still a civil servant and the Cabinet Office approved it.
Old Yesterday, 04:35 PM   #776
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Met Police Federation tweeted

@MPFed
Metropolitan Police Federation calls on government and force leaders to tackle social media firms that enable footage of officers dealing with incidents to be shared.
https://policeoracle.com/news/local_...ct_107056.html
Old Today, 01:23 AM   #777
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Greensill must just be an isolated incident, because the UK government is rejecting a wider investigation into lobbying

Quote:
The government has rejected Labour's call for a full parliamentary inquiry into lobbying and the contacts between government and Greensill Capital.

Boris Johnson has launched a review by a government lawyer into the finance firm's links to David Cameron and top civil servants in his administration.

Labour wants a broader inquiry into lobbying by a cross-party panel of MPs.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-56743426
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 01:36 AM   #778
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Tories and sleaze and dodgy deals - how entirely unexpected….

What’s the point of the old boys network if it doesn’t let you feather your bed?

Last edited by Darat; Today at 01:37 AM. Reason: Words
Darat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 04:48 AM   #779
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Things the Tories have closed.
1,189 Sure Start Centres
100 NHS Walk In centres
600 Police Stations
675 Libraries
760 Youth Centres
470 Schools
50 Fire Stations
433 HMRC Tax Offices
100 Job Centres
Old Today, 04:53 AM   #780
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Is that this week?
Old Today, 09:30 AM   #781
Garrison
Philosopher

Originally Posted by The Don View Post
Greensill must just be an isolated incident, because the UK government is rejecting a wider investigation into lobbying

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-56743426
Cameron probably has enough dirt on Johnson to make the outcome a foregone conclusion.
Old Today, 10:09 AM   #782
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

They both wear the same old school tie' of course Johnson isn't going to push it.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics