ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 10th August 2018, 08:44 AM   #81
Thermal
Illuminator

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
Why should your tastes and whims determine how others are allowed to appear?
Because I am the Center of the Universe and they are in my field of view. Duh.
Old 10th August 2018, 09:01 AM   #82
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

What's 'preposterous' about them?
If you have to ask then you just wouldn't understand.

Are you unfamiliar with human anatomy? Does the presence of a bulge confuse you? Is it seeing the entirety of legs?
Non; I think I've already mentioned that people being actually nude in my proximity wouldn't bother me in the slightest. To that I would add, "regardless of age or physique", assuming we're talking about adults of course.
Checkmite is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th August 2018, 09:03 AM   #83
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by Thermal View Post
Because I am the Center of the Universe and they are in my field of view. Duh.
Ah, yes, the 'I'm just joking around, bro!' response to getting called on homophobia.
Old 10th August 2018, 09:05 AM   #84
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by Checkmite View Post
If you have to ask then you just wouldn't understand.

Non; I think I've already mentioned that people being actually nude in my proximity wouldn't bother me in the slightest. To that I would add, "regardless of age or physique", assuming we're talking about adults of course.
Got it: you can't explain yourself.
Old 10th August 2018, 09:09 AM   #85
Thermal
Illuminator

Ah, yes, the 'I'm just joking around, bro!' response to getting called on homophobia.
Wait...you're taking this stuff seriously?

Ok, being serious: anybody can wear anything they like. They may rock it, look like a fool, or be unremarkable. What the hell do I care?

But where do you get off with the homophobia angle? I don't even associate them with gay guys. I associate them with tacky guys.

Eta: do I infer correctly, albeit belatedly, that you are gay and sport Speedos, and are taking offense? If so, apologies, man.

Last edited by Thermal; 10th August 2018 at 09:12 AM.
Thermal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th August 2018, 09:17 AM   #86
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Wait...you're taking this stuff seriously?

Ok, being serious: anybody can wear anything they like. They may rock it, look like a fool, or be unremarkable. What the hell do I care?

But where do you get off with the homophobia angle? I don't even associate them with gay guys. I associate them with tacky guys.

Eta: do I infer correctly, albeit belatedly, that you are gay and sport Speedos, and are taking offense? If so, apologies, man.
The homophobia angle is when men feel the need to fall over themselves expressing how unappealing they find the male body. And I reject your insincere apologies which you offer now solely to try to use the 'just kidding' defense.
Old 10th August 2018, 09:20 AM   #87
Disbelief
Master Poster

What's 'preposterous' about them? Are you unfamiliar with human anatomy? Does the presence of a bulge confuse you? Is it seeing the entirety of legs?
Maybe it's the amount of fur. I'm approaching human carpet status, so avoid the speedo.

Quote me where I said conspiracists use evidence. - mchapman
Disbelief is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th August 2018, 09:23 AM   #88
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by Disbelief View Post
Maybe it's the amount of fur. I'm approaching human carpet status, so avoid the speedo.
It's the 21st century. There are products, technologies, and services. There is not a single hair on a human body that isn't there by choice now....or laziness.
Old 10th August 2018, 09:25 AM   #89
Disbelief
Master Poster

It's the 21st century. There are products, technologies, and services. There is not a single hair on a human body that isn't there by choice now....or laziness.
My wife is an esthetician, so I've been waxed and plucked too many times. Can be quite painful.

Quote me where I said conspiracists use evidence. - mchapman
Disbelief is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th August 2018, 09:29 AM   #90
Thermal
Illuminator

The homophobia angle is when men feel the need to fall over themselves expressing how unappealing they find the male body. And I reject your insincere apologies which you offer now solely to try to use the 'just kidding' defense.
What are you reading? I've already posted how I find the male body beautiful. Just not every inch at certain times. I also opined that spread eagle poses of women don't do it for me. Does that mean I am heterophobic, too? Man, I'm screwed. Or evidently not, seeing as I'm running out of available sexes.

Seriously man, no offense intended. Look at my posts, I've been kidding around all along. If you don't accept my apologies, hey, its your prerogative. They are freely and sincerely offered.
Old 10th August 2018, 09:30 AM   #91
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

The problem with speedos is that not enough people wear them.

If everyone wore them, no one would notice or care.

It's the same with any fashion. Hair dyed blue looks weird when only one person has it. But when half the people have it, it doesn't stand out.

The first time you see a fat Japanese guy at Waikiki wearing a speedo, it stands out. But after seeing the 20th guy, meh, just another fat Japanese guy in a speedo.
Old 10th August 2018, 10:18 AM   #92
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

Originally Posted by pgwenthold View Post
The problem with speedos is that not enough people wear them.

If everyone wore them, no one would notice or care.
I'm not sure that's true. There was a time in the past, for instance - an inexplicable, utterly unimaginable time in the past - when speedos were the dominant swim-garment at the beach for men - at least in, say, the UK and Continental environs. "Everyone wore them"; but at some point, except in obstinate for-its-own-sake holdouts like France, the tide of taste began to turn.
Checkmite is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th August 2018, 11:58 AM   #93
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by pgwenthold View Post
The first time you see a fat Japanese guy at Waikiki wearing a speedo, it stands out. But after seeing the 20th guy, meh, just another fat Japanese guy in a speedo.
I've seen all kinds there, but the first time I saw a Japanese Sumo wrestler in one I was a bit taken aback.
Old 10th August 2018, 01:44 PM   #94
casebro
Penultimate Amazing

I rank speedos with tattoos, piercings, walking around with a pet parrot on your shoulder. Or driving an expensive car. All signs of attention seeking. I'm sorry about your bruised psyche, and your sub-optimal childhood. But I'm not going to respect you for displaying your junk, or even a stud in your tongue. Go put on some pants and earn some respect with your wit, or your wits. Women don't have to dress like whores to find mates, and neither do men, gay or not.
casebro is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th August 2018, 01:51 PM   #95
Babbylonian
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by casebro View Post
I rank speedos with tattoos, piercings, walking around with a pet parrot on your shoulder. Or driving an expensive car. All signs of attention seeking. I'm sorry about your bruised psyche, and your sub-optimal childhood. But I'm not going to respect you for displaying your junk, or even a stud in your tongue. Go put on some pants and earn some respect with your wit, or your wits. Women don't have to dress like whores to find mates, and neither do men, gay or not.
Any chance to get "women" and "whores" into the same sentence...
Babbylonian is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th August 2018, 02:53 PM   #96
casebro
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Babbylonian View Post
Any chance to get "women" and "whores" into the same sentence...
Just as significant as when you just did.
casebro is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th August 2018, 02:56 PM   #97
Bouncing Bettys
Scholar

Imagine trying to meet everyone's individual standards for respect all at once.
Bouncing Bettys is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th August 2018, 06:09 PM   #98
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

People who seem to be standing up for the horrific thing that is the speedo should take a long hard look at yourselves and feel ashamed.

Hitler probably wore them
I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With today’s Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.

Source: The America We Deserve, by Donald Trump, p.102 , Jul 2, 2000
cullennz is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th August 2018, 06:20 PM   #99
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Having been to many, many beaches in Italy and seeing more of many, many, British tourists than I ever wanted to, I'm with the hotel on this one.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th August 2018, 07:09 PM   #100
Sherkeu
Muse

The code is more about the "image" and vibe of the party. So show up in a suit or sport coat and you also don't get in. No sports team jersey + baseball cap and baggy pants either - even if it's what the DJ is wearing. Their club, their rules.
Sherkeu is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th August 2018, 08:38 PM   #101
casebro
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Bouncing Bettys View Post
Imagine trying to meet everyone's individual standards for respect all at once.
Welcome to Facebook.
Old 11th August 2018, 04:17 AM   #102
RolandRat
Scholar

What are you reading? I've already posted how I find the male body beautiful. Just not every inch at certain times. I also opined that spread eagle poses of women don't do it for me. Does that mean I am heterophobic, too? Man, I'm screwed. Or evidently not, seeing as I'm running out of available sexes.

Seriously man, no offense intended. Look at my posts, I've been kidding around all along. If you don't accept my apologies, hey, its your prerogative. They are freely and sincerely offered.
Yes, hang your head in shame. Your posts have offended me and I'm entitled to be offended on behalf of the entire gay, speedo-wearing community.

Bigots like you make it hard for the speedo wearer to stand alongside his swim-shorts wearing brothers. I hope you're proud...

Originally Posted by cullennz View Post
People who seem to be standing up for the horrific thing that is the speedo should take a long hard look at yourselves and feel ashamed.

He didn't actually wear them himself but I have it on good authority that Goering did. Fun-fact. Speedos were invented by the SS. They believed they increased virility by putting pressure on the testicles, causing them to produce more sperm.

Speedos were actually air-lifted to German troops on the Russian front. Historians have estimated that they were solely responsible for the Germans holding out against the Russian advance for an extra 16 minutes. As I'm sure you know, this had major ramifications for the Allies.

Last edited by RolandRat; 11th August 2018 at 04:18 AM.
RolandRat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th August 2018, 05:34 AM   #103
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Originally Posted by RolandRat View Post

Speedos were actually air-lifted to German troops on the Russian front. Historians have estimated that they were solely responsible for the Germans holding out against the Russian advance for an extra 16 minutes. As I'm sure you know, this had major ramifications for the Allies.
Ahh

The old turning your undies into a sling shot trick
I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With today’s Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.

cullennz is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th August 2018, 05:47 AM   #104
Porpoise of Life
Illuminator

Originally Posted by cullennz View Post
I believe he called them 'Geschwindigkeitos'
Porpoise of Life is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th August 2018, 06:23 AM   #105
casebro
Penultimate Amazing

Godwinning a thread about speedos?

I guess anything can happen on them intarwebs.
Old 11th August 2018, 06:27 AM   #106
casebro
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Porpoise of Life View Post
I believe he called them 'Geschwindigkeitos'
My German teacher told us it was 'bananehangematte'. No visual aid provided.
Old 11th August 2018, 07:53 AM   #107
Thermal
Illuminator

Originally Posted by RolandRat View Post
Yes, hang your head in shame. Your posts have offended me and I'm entitled to be offended on behalf of the entire gay, speedo-wearing community.

Bigots like you make it hard for the speedo wearer to stand alongside his swim-shorts wearing brothers. I hope you're proud...
Dude, you want to see the pitchforks come out? Question the narrative in a Living While Black thread. It's a condemning blizzard.

eta: 'making it hard for the speedo wearer' is perhaps a little too pointed, no?

Last edited by Thermal; 11th August 2018 at 07:55 AM.
Thermal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th August 2018, 10:42 AM   #108
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

I remember several years ago when MTV had a male beach swimsuit contest (ostensibly for "balance", I suppose). One white guy had a decent physique but didn't fill out his white Speedo particularly well. One of the (male, black) MCs muttered "Looks like a sack of marbles..."
Old 11th August 2018, 05:44 PM   #109
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Godwinning a thread about speedos?

I guess anything can happen on them intarwebs.
It was a joke

Old 12th August 2018, 07:48 PM   #110
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

I opine that it is a tad too graphic to be presented for public consideration.
Why "graphic"? What is it about the sight of the penis that makes it "graphic"?

I rank speedos with tattoos, piercings, walking around with a pet parrot on your shoulder. Or driving an expensive car. All signs of attention seeking.
My tatttoo, when I get it done in two weeks, will be small and covered by clothes most of the time. My friend has tattoos that are almost always completely covered by clothes. How is that attention-seeking?

There are as many different reasons people get tattoos as there are people with tattoos. While I'm sure that some are indeed attention-seeking, declaring all tattooed people as attention seekers is a false generalisation.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events