ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 17th August 2018, 07:07 AM   #1001
SuburbanTurkey
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by Babbylonian View Post
It's cool that we can be so certain of the thoughts and knowledge of a dead man. The science of mediums has apparently come a long way.
These are both likely conclusions. Did McGlockton use his x-ray vision to see Drejka's pistol under his shirt? Did they have some prior knowledge of one another that no witness or news report felt relevant to report? Just use Occam's Razor and don't bust my balls.
Old 17th August 2018, 07:10 AM   #1002
Disbelief
Master Poster

Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post
These are both likely conclusions. Did McGlockton use his x-ray vision to see Drejka's pistol under his shirt? Did they have some prior knowledge of one another that no witness or news report felt relevant to report? Just use Occam's Razor and don't bust my balls.
Or did the frequent the place enough and Drejka already had a reputation for being confrontational?

Quote me where I said conspiracists use evidence. - mchapman
Disbelief is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th August 2018, 07:29 AM   #1003
Babbylonian
Penultimate Amazing

You know what's a likely conclusion? That McGlockton feared for his girlfriend's safety. After all, the only participant that we know for certain has a history of starting altercations is Drejka.
Babbylonian is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th August 2018, 07:44 AM   #1004
SuburbanTurkey
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by Babbylonian View Post
You know what's a likely conclusion? That McGlockton feared for his girlfriend's safety. After all, the only participant that we know for certain has a history of starting altercations is Drejka.
What does that have to do with anything I said? The only point i was trying to make is that Drejka being armed is a fact unknown to McGlockton when the shove occurred and can't be retroactively used to justify the shove. If I'm walking down the street with a dirty bomb hidden in a suitcase and a mugger shoots me dead, it's still murder even if later on it's shown that the mugger stopped a terrorist attack.

Nuance is dead in this thread. I'll swing back around when the case goes to trial. Hoping for nice long stay at the grey bar hotel for Drejka!

Last edited by SuburbanTurkey; 17th August 2018 at 07:50 AM.
SuburbanTurkey is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th August 2018, 07:58 AM   #1005
Babbylonian
Penultimate Amazing

What does that have to do with anything I said? The only point i was trying to make is that Drejka being armed is a fact unknown to McGlockton when the shove occurred and can't be retroactively used to justify the shove. If I'm walking down the street with a dirty bomb hidden in a suitcase and a mugger shoots me dead, it's still murder even if later on it's shown that the mugger stopped a terrorist attack.
You're still making the assumption that he couldn't see the concealed weapon. I've seen supposedly concealed weapons before, and if I saw someone with such a weapon getting in someone's face, I would absolutely be concerned for the latter's safety. While the weapon might give me pause, I could see where concern for a loved one might override concern for my own safety.

In short, citing Occam's razor is a poor justification for a claim to know what a person was thinking when they're no longer able to provide their side of the story due to being murdered.
Babbylonian is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th August 2018, 08:03 AM   #1006
Horatius
NWO Kitty Wrangler

I don't see how any of this info could have affected McGlockton's actions as he:

1) Was totally unaware of the gun until it was drawn from concealment

2) Had no prior conflicts with or knowledge of Drejka.

Assuming facts not in evidence. We know Drejka was shouting at the woman in the car, and we know that Drejka has made overt threats to shoot people in the past. It's not unreasonable to think he made a similar threat in this case.
Old 17th August 2018, 08:07 AM   #1007
eeyore1954
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Horatius View Post
Assuming facts not in evidence. We know Drejka was shouting at the woman in the car, and we know that Drejka has made overt threats to shoot people in the past. It's not unreasonable to think he made a similar threat in this case.
But isn't this also assuming facts not in evidence.
"And with his history of threatening to shoot people in exactly these sorts of situations (that Drejka created), it was entirely reasonable for McGlockton to fear that he, or some member of his family, was at risk for being gunned down."

Of course a good portion of this thread deals with assuming facts not in evidence based upon our personal biases and beliefs.
eeyore1954 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th August 2018, 08:09 AM   #1008
AJM8125
Potsing Whiled Runk
Tagger

Originally Posted by This is The End View Post
The video shows differently.
I’m afraid it doesn’t. You can’t see it because you’ve set your PC filter to 11. Here’s a thought - We can all agree that Drejka has a history of being a confrontational asswipe and likes to brandish firearms. If he knew McGlockton was approaching, don’t you think he would’ve reacted in some way? Like getting the **** out of his way? Bracing for the hit? Pulling his gun? Anything?

He doesn’t. Because he was taken by surprise. Sucker punched. Blind sided or any other synonym for a surprise attack one may use. Or if he was aware of McGlockton and didn’t react, might that be because he was approaching in a slow, non threatening manner?

Quote:
First of all, it was a justifiable defense of his family not an assault. Secondly, I'm just going to assume you believe that he would have continued because of racism. Since the reality of the situation would lead one to believe that it would have ended with the push with or without the gun. And there is only other place you could have pulled that from. Just sayin.
First of all, I don’t believe your opinion would carry any weight in a court of law. Secondly, I know you’d like to put McGlockton’s corpse and yourself high upon a pedestal so you can beat your racism drum but you can take that nonsense and shove it squarely back into wherever you pulled it from.

McGlockton was a punk who pulled a punk move on another punk who happened to be armed. Pointing out his poor judgment is not racism, no matter how hard it’s bleated.

Last edited by AJM8125; 17th August 2018 at 08:11 AM.
AJM8125 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th August 2018, 03:24 PM   #1009
Silly Green Monkey
Cowardly Lurking in the Shadows of Greatness

Too busy with his victim perhaps?
Old 17th August 2018, 04:03 PM   #1010
sir drinks-a-lot
Illuminator

Originally Posted by AJM8125 View Post
McGlockton was a punk who pulled a punk move on another punk who happened to be armed.
We could have saved ourselves 26 pages if only this concise and accurate summary were provided on the first page.
Old 19th August 2018, 12:08 AM   #1011
This is The End

Originally Posted by AJM8125 View Post
Iím afraid it doesnít. You canít see it because youíve set your PC filter to 11. Hereís a thought...

The only "thought" to be had right now is that you clearly have no idea what "blind side" actually means.
Old 19th August 2018, 12:57 AM   #1012
Hungry81
Graduate Poster

The only "thought" to be had right now is that you clearly have no idea what "blind side" actually means.
In my experience I can understand how Drejka may have developed tunnel vision as he revved himself up ranting and arguing with his captive audience in the car. I would think it was likely he did not notice Mcglockington approach due to this hubris fulled tunnel vision. I also think that had he not been killed Mcglockington could have been charged with assault. However, Drejka had no cause to shoot Mcglockington and desrves to be charged and hopefully jailed for at least manslaughter or murder and have his gun privileges removed.
Hungry81 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th August 2018, 01:01 AM   #1013
AJM8125
Potsing Whiled Runk
Tagger

I don't?

Wow. Totally blindsided me.

Old Yesterday, 11:02 PM   #1014
This is The End

Did you seriously just link to a thesaurus to define a word??

So not only do you not know what the word blindside means, but you don't know what the word synonym means either.

Some synonyms means exactly the same thing but the vast majority of synonyms are merely "nearly the same".
Old Today, 04:40 AM   #1015
AJM8125
Potsing Whiled Runk
Tagger

Iíll take that as your white flag.
Old Today, 06:20 AM   #1016
eeyore1954
Philosopher

Did you seriously just link to a thesaurus to define a word??

So not only do you not know what the word blindside means, but you don't know what the word synonym means either.

Some synonyms means exactly the same thing but the vast majority of synonyms are merely "nearly the same".
Maybe different people take blind sided to mean different things.

Not sure what you think it means but it doesn't necessarily you didn't see the person. I go with caught unaware. It doesn't even have to deal with vision or another person. IE blind sided by the news.
The thesaurus link actually had some good examples.
eeyore1954 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events