ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 4th September 2018, 12:57 PM   #1
Cheetah
Graduate Poster

Stone Tool

Heard my dogs barking off in the distance so I went to see what they were up to. They had chased a mongoose up a dead tree. After much difficulty in convincing them to leave the mongoose and come home with me, I spotted a small piece of stone sticking out of the ground.
My small property is in the middle, between two rivers, just before they join, but without any waterfront, damn. It's dense pottery type clay without stones so stones always catch my eye and I check them out. I often find little shards of reddish brown stone that look like they must have been chipped off a larger stone by someone.I once found a piece that looked like the back quarter of some stone tool.
Most of this one was buried, but almost whole.

ToolBot.jpg

From the bottom. I made a line where it was broken.

ToolTop.jpg

Anyone here know about these?
Old 4th September 2018, 01:11 PM   #2
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

My opinion is that it is a naturally broken stone rather than a cutting or scraping tool. Mainly because it doesn't look ergonomic at all and would cause hand muscle cramps if used.
Old 4th September 2018, 01:12 PM   #3
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Originally Posted by Cheetah View Post
Heard my dogs barking off in the distance so I went to see what they were up to. They had chased a mongoose up a dead tree. After much difficulty in convincing them to leave the mongoose and come home with me, I spotted a small piece of stone sticking out of the ground.
My small property is in the middle, between two rivers, just before they join, but without any waterfront, damn. It's dense pottery type clay without stones so stones always catch my eye and I check them out. I often find little shards of reddish brown stone that look like they must have been chipped off a larger stone by someone.I once found a piece that looked like the back quarter of some stone tool.
Most of this one was buried, but almost whole.

Attachment 38818

From the bottom. I made a line where it was broken.

Attachment 38819

Anyone here know about these?
I studied Neolithic stone tools at university. The shearing looks recent to me. But I am far from an expert. I hope it is ancient.

ETA Plus what William said

Sir Winston Churchill

Last edited by lionking; 4th September 2018 at 01:14 PM.
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th September 2018, 01:26 PM   #4
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Not an expert by any means, but it looks like there's only a few fractures that made that shape. In contrast, most of the deliberately made stone tools I've seen have lots and lots of fractures, in order to optimize the shape for its desired function. That suggests to me it's not a tool.
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th September 2018, 02:05 PM   #5
MikeG
Now. Do it now.

Flint tools are knapped........ie shaped by multiple small chips. It isn't impossible that it is a stone tool, but I would have said it is highly unlikely because it is so unlike the amazingly uniform stone tools we know from around the world.
"The Conservatives want to keep wogs out and march boldly back to the 1950s when Britain still had an Empire and blacks, women, poofs and Irish knew their place." The Don That's what we've sunk to here.
MikeG is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th September 2018, 03:13 PM   #6
casebro
Penultimate Amazing

I was out Naturing one day with a friend who had some college. He just started picking up cobble stones from the creek bed and throwing them down hard into the other stones, hoping for a usable chip. Pretty low tech way to make a scraper.
casebro is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th September 2018, 10:58 PM   #7
macdoc
Philosopher

Certainly not knapped but a lot depends on where it was found too...need an expert.
Early hominid are pretty close

and an older chopper

info here
http://www.bradshawfoundation.com/or...tone_tools.php
macdoc is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th September 2018, 01:38 AM   #8
Cheetah
Graduate Poster

It was made from a prepared-core using the Levallois technique.

I suspect tools were made in the area, hence the flakes I find all around.
Just speculating, but this one probably broke when it was chipped off the core and was discarded.

Edit: Tools made using this technique were found less than 200 km west of here and dated to about 1 mya.

The Victoria West: earliest prepared core technology in the Acheulean at Canteen Kopje and implications for the cognitive evolution of early hominids

I wonder until how recently they were used.

Last edited by Cheetah; 5th September 2018 at 02:39 AM.
Cheetah is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th September 2018, 02:37 AM   #9
Cheetah
Graduate Poster

After finding the Levallois info Wikipedia I have read up some more.

Older tools were shaped by knapping flakes off a core to form the tool.

This new (relatively) technique is considered a revolution in stone tool technology that implies some cognitive advance.
You need careful preparation in shaping the core, but can then produce multiple tools/blades from the same core. The tools produced, like the point I found, also need little or no additional sharpening or shaping after being flaked off.

Some info on: Levallois Lithic Technology from the Kapthurin
Formation, Kenya

Quote:
The development of Levallois methods is a facet of lithic technological change that crosscuts the traditional divide between the Acheulian and Middle Stone Age, and may provide clues to local patterns of innovation and replacement during this period. The Acheulian-MSA transition is marked by the disappearance of handaxes, their replacement by regionally distinct forms of points, and an increased reliance on Levallois and other methods of flake and blade production

There are archeological sites all around central south Africa ranging from Middle Acheulean, Later Acheulean (Earlier Stone Age), Middle Stone Age and Later Stone Age. The prepared core techniques started being used during the late Acheulean.

Here is a nice page with info about the different ages and the tools produced in South Africa and who supposedly made them.
Old 7th March 2019, 10:38 PM   #10
Cheetah
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post
My opinion is that it is a naturally broken stone rather than a cutting or scraping tool. Mainly because it doesn't look ergonomic at all and would cause hand muscle cramps if used.
It's actually very comfortable to hold for cutting, right handed - especially if your hands were slightly smaller. The broken side turns out to be a feature to rest your finger, not a mistake. It was undoubtedly used, with the cutting edge being full off little chips and wear and the supporting side still pristine.
IMG_2611.jpg

I've been keeping my eyes peeled walking around and I've found two more plus a bunch of flakes and broken bits. Both appear to be from a prepared core and both show signs of use with small chips along the sharp edges.

IMG_5379.jpg
There is a recent chip top right and the stone is actually black with a thin red layer of oxidation.

IMG_5377.jpg
Old 7th March 2019, 10:40 PM   #11
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Get thee to a museum!
arthwollipot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th March 2019, 10:49 PM   #12
Cheetah
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
Get thee to a museum!

But that's not all folks, there's more...

I also found a button!

IMG_5360.jpg

Edit: Looks a lot like this one, though not quite.

IMG_5365.jpg

Reads: Firmin & Sons LD London

Last edited by Cheetah; 7th March 2019 at 10:51 PM.
Cheetah is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th March 2019, 04:50 AM   #13
jonesdave116
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Cheetah View Post
But that's not all folks, there's more...

I also found a button!

Attachment 39723

Edit: Looks a lot like this one, though not quite.

Attachment 39724

Reads: Firmin & Sons LD London
Have a look here;

https://www.ukdfd.co.uk/pages/button-makers.html

The only entry with Firmin and Sons LD London is towards the bottom of the list of Firmin entries, and suggests it would be early 20th c.

You may also be interested in this thread;

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/wh...d-not-old.html

EDIT:

Given your location, and the date range, then the Boer War looks a good bet.

EDIT 2:

The front design is pretty much identical to this one;

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Old-vinta...4AAOSwW75caymh

The back of that button is not showing a makers name, however.

“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” - George Carlin

Last edited by jonesdave116; 8th March 2019 at 05:08 AM.
jonesdave116 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th March 2019, 05:27 AM   #14
HansMustermann
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by MikeG View Post
Flint tools are knapped........ie shaped by multiple small chips. It isn't impossible that it is a stone tool, but I would have said it is highly unlikely because it is so unlike the amazingly uniform stone tools we know from around the world.
Err... that's the whole difference between PALEOlythic and NEOlythic, ya know? They polished the stone only in the latter. The tools from the former could be quite rought and irregular.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology