ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags optical illusions

Old 8th March 2019, 09:51 PM   #1
Cheetah
Graduate Poster

Visual Illusions

I found this pic I made once playing around with a graphics program.

It appears to have four orange/magenta, two orange/green and two cyan/magenta parts spiraling out from the center.

Spiral Illusion III.jpg

What are some of your favorites?
Old 8th March 2019, 11:33 PM   #2
SusanB-M1
Incurable Optimist

There's an art gallery in Buffalo (although it might be Washington, but can't remember as I was there in 1981 ) where as you walk towards a gap and turn left around a wall, you see a picture, which is definitely flat!, become three-dimensional. It is painted in a geometrical fashion so that the effect is a hemisphere. I used to have a link to it but have just tried it and it says 'sorry - we can't find this page' or something. It was absolutely fascinating. You can go up close and see how the painting - about 8ft square - was painted,, but you can't see it as flat. I can still see it in my mind's eye.

Albright-Knox was part of the title I had in link, but I don't know if that means anything now!

ETA I clicked on your link - I can see it approximately, but not the illusion, I'm afraid.

Last edited by SusanB-M1; 8th March 2019 at 11:38 PM.
SusanB-M1 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th March 2019, 12:25 AM   #3
Cheetah
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by SusanB-M1 View Post
ETA I clicked on your link - I can see it approximately, but not the illusion, I'm afraid.
If you saw "four orange/magenta, two orange/green and two cyan/magenta parts spiraling out from the center" you were fooled.

Anyone want to guess?

The illusion is ...
that the green and cyan appear so different but are actually the same colour.

Last edited by Cheetah; 9th March 2019 at 12:47 AM.
Cheetah is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th March 2019, 04:01 AM   #4
macdoc
Philosopher

I like the motion illusions

http://mesosyn.com/mental8-1.html

and

https://www.today.com/health/best-op...orkout-t100868
macdoc is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th March 2019, 11:09 AM   #5
WhatRoughBeast
Graduate Poster

My all-time favorite is the higher-level
invisible gorilla illusion.
Of course, it does have the drawback that it only works once.
WhatRoughBeast is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th March 2019, 07:21 PM   #6
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by WhatRoughBeast View Post
My all-time favorite is the higher-level
invisible gorilla illusion.
Of course, it does have the drawback that it only works once.
But if you change it up, as in the second video, you only see the gorilla and not the other stuff.

That might be the worst gorilla costume in history, by the way.
Old 10th March 2019, 09:31 AM   #7
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

The Amazing Colour-Changing Card Trick:

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
Old 10th March 2019, 10:36 AM   #8
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

A variation on the gorilla illusion:
YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
Old 12th March 2019, 07:40 PM   #9
xterra
So far, so good...

Location: On the outskirts of Nowhere; the middle was too crowded
Old 15th March 2019, 11:19 AM   #10
Spektator
Watching . . . always watching.

There's an interesting illusion, Adelson's Checker Shadow, that fifteen years or so ago caused quite a tempest in the JREF teapot. Basically, a sketch shows a green cylinder on a white-and-gray checkerboard background; some of the "white" squares are actually gray. It's quite plainly an optical illusion but one member--Interesting Ian, if I recall correctly--insisted that no, the colors WERE different, because he SAW they were different.
Spektator is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th March 2019, 05:31 PM   #11
Red Baron Farms
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Cheetah View Post
If you saw "four orange/magenta, two orange/green and two cyan/magenta parts spiraling out from the center" you were fooled.

Anyone want to guess?

The illusion is ...
that the green and cyan appear so different but are actually the same colour.
No those two are different. There are illusions, but that is real.

It's easy for a skeptic to test this. Zoom in. block all except the green and the cyan where they touch. Same color? Nope.

You have blocked out the illusion part, yet the colors are still different, then that wasn't it.

The illusion is that the color green changes shades slightly to look almost bluegreen
"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system." Bill Mollison
Biome Carbon Cycle Management

Last edited by Red Baron Farms; 15th March 2019 at 05:43 PM.
Red Baron Farms is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th March 2019, 09:18 PM   #12
Cheetah
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Red Baron Farms View Post
No those two are different. There are illusions, but that is real.

It's easy for a skeptic to test this. Zoom in. block all except the green and the cyan where they touch. Same color? Nope.

You have blocked out the illusion part, yet the colors are still different, then that wasn't it.

The illusion is that the color green changes shades slightly to look almost bluegreen

They really are the same colour.

Spiral Illusion Crp.jpg
Old 15th March 2019, 11:21 PM   #13
Red Baron Farms
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Cheetah View Post

They really are the same colour.

Attachment 39759
you mean the blue green is the same as the green?
"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system." Bill Mollison
Biome Carbon Cycle Management
Red Baron Farms is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th March 2019, 01:50 AM   #14
p0lka
Graduate Poster

With the colour illusions, you can open them in photoshop and just compare the colour values to check if they are the same.
p0lka is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th March 2019, 05:29 AM   #15
p0lka
Graduate Poster

this motion one is cool.

This colour one actually demonstrates that the colours are the same, but it's too big for the forum so I have to link to it.

https://i.imgur.com/hxJjUQB.gif

Last edited by p0lka; 16th March 2019 at 05:42 AM.
p0lka is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th March 2019, 05:34 AM   #16
Cheetah
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Red Baron Farms View Post
you mean the blue green is the same as the green?

Yes.
Old 17th March 2019, 02:46 PM   #17
mgidm86
Philosopher

Originally Posted by p0lka View Post
this motion one is cool.

http://www.internationalskeptics.com...ictureid=12099

This colour one actually demonstrates that the colours are the same, but it's too big for the forum so I have to link to it.

https://i.imgur.com/hxJjUQB.gif

Similar to when I use Netflix and scroll through the titles, the white text seems to follow slightly behind the rest of the box images.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology