ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags flat earth , flat earthers , Kyrie Irving

Old 15th March 2019, 05:27 AM   #41
Bikewer
Penultimate Amazing

Although the Flat Earth is getting a lot of action these days, the poor Hollow Earth goes begging.
I always thought that was much more interesting, what with a miniature Sun floating around inside the planet and all manner of interesting folks and civilizations....
Bikewer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th March 2019, 07:07 AM   #42
Capsid
Graduate Poster

They can't argue against this

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ring_laser_gyroscope
Capsid is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th March 2019, 08:25 AM   #43
bytewizard
Graduate Poster

"Interesting"- too funny
bytewizard is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th March 2019, 10:36 AM   #44
Elagabalus
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Capsid View Post
Oh ... but they can!
Elagabalus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th March 2019, 11:01 AM   #45
ferd burfle
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Capsid View Post
Originally Posted by Elagabalus View Post
Oh ... but they can!

And they do. I recently watched Behind the Curve, on Netflix currently. A FE believer bought a ring laser gyro, at a cost of $20k, to see if they could detect the 15 degrees per hour precession (I might have the term wrong here) of the earth's rotation. And, sure enough, they saw the 15 degrees per hour. They were dismayed for a while but it wasn't long before they explained away the results, saying that what they were detecting was the rotation of the sky/firmament and not that of the earth.

I'm much more interested in why people believe woo than the beliefs themselves. But speculating on posters' motives is discouraged here, for reasons I both understand and support. I recommend the film for anyone interested in the social and personal side of the FE world.

ETA: the bit about the LRG test is near the end of the film

Last edited by ferd burfle; 15th March 2019 at 11:03 AM.
ferd burfle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th March 2019, 11:26 AM   #46
Capsid
Graduate Poster

Trouble is thousands of planes are fitted with them. Are all FEs scared of flying?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Capsid is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th March 2019, 11:47 AM   #47
Spektator
Watching . . . always watching.

Originally Posted by Red Baron Farms View Post
(snip)

I was wrong. There literally are rational people that really do believe the Earth flat. And what happens here is a Flat Earther sets up an experiment to prove it!

The result should be no shock, but the reaction is priceless.

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
Ah, "My experiment has proved that the earth is round . . . therefore my experiment is wrong and should be disregarded." Priceless indeed.
Spektator is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th March 2019, 11:49 AM   #48
Spektator

Originally Posted by Bikewer View Post
Although the Flat Earth is getting a lot of action these days, the poor Hollow Earth goes begging.
I always thought that was much more interesting, what with a miniature Sun floating around inside the planet and all manner of interesting folks and civilizations....
Yeah, dude! Pellucidar, I dig it. I was surprised not long ago to discover that the forged "Secret Diary of Richard E. Byrd" about his flight into the hollow Earth is still available. Truth lives long, but lies apparently are immortal.
Spektator is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th March 2019, 12:16 PM   #49
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Irving has slipped and hit his head on the hard wood basketball court once too often.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th March 2019, 12:17 PM   #50
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Spektator View Post
Yeah, dude! Pellucidar, I dig it. I was surprised not long ago to discover that the forged "Secret Diary of Richard E. Byrd" about his flight into the hollow Earth is still available. Truth lives long, but lies apparently are immortal.

Agreed, Burroughs Pellucidar novels are a lot of fun.
They did a movie back in the 70's that suffered from too small a budget and the limitations of SFX at the time, but would love to see a movie with a decent budget and state of the art effects.

Robert Heinlein.

Last edited by dudalb; 15th March 2019 at 12:19 PM.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th March 2019, 03:30 PM   #51
Red Baron Farms
Illuminator

Ah, "My experiment has proved that the earth is round . . . therefore my experiment is wrong and should be disregarded." Priceless indeed.
You think? I saw the same clip and came away with the exact opposite impression.

It looks to me like a broken man finally understanding he was wrong.

But of course his whole YouTube career depends on Patreon donations. So yes, after a delay where he made no flat Earth uploads at all, he started uploading again.

Very much like other scammers Randy debunked. But this one more funny because he debunked himself and we got to see the moment when he went from true believer, to hypocritical scam artist in it only for the money.
"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system." Bill Mollison
Biome Carbon Cycle Management

Last edited by Red Baron Farms; 15th March 2019 at 03:56 PM.
Red Baron Farms is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th March 2019, 04:38 PM   #52
Venom
Graduate Poster

It's a good, simple epistemological exercise.

I have an inactive account at the Flat Earth Society website and a good 95% of the posters have to be trolls and saboteurs, and the remaining 5% mentally ill or so incredibly radically conspiracist that they actually believe the flat earth truth is being intentionally hidden from them.

It gets tiresome after a few minutes.
Venom is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th March 2019, 06:48 PM   #53
Spektator

You think? I saw the same clip and came away with the exact opposite impression.

It looks to me like a broken man finally understanding he was wrong.

But of course his whole YouTube career depends on Patreon donations. So yes, after a delay where he made no flat Earth uploads at all, he started uploading again.

Very much like other scammers Randy debunked. But this one more funny because he debunked himself and we got to see the moment when he went from true believer, to hypocritical scam artist in it only for the money.
Well, Campanella claims that some force, maybe refraction, caused the "false positive." Doesn't seem broken to me . . . Crooked, maybe . Randi spells his name with an i, by the way.
Old 15th March 2019, 08:40 PM   #54
MEequalsIxR
Critical Thinker

[snip]
Randi spells his name with an i, by the way.
That's what they want you to believe.
Old 19th March 2019, 10:40 PM   #55
AlaskaBushPilot
Illuminator

Mostly as a debate and rational thought experiment. Actual real flat Earthers don't really exist. The reason is this: In order to be educated enough to even argue the flat earther case, one generally is educated enough to know it isn't true.
It is obvious to me people are alternate reality gaming.

They know perfectly well the earth is round. It's pretty easy to pretend you don't though, and certain personality types love trolling other people this way.

It actually does require organizing a complete line of ******** about the outer rim of the earth being this 200 foot high sheet of ice and the movements of the sun and moon are this guy holding a flashlight, etc.

I have seen a number of them use it to really get under the skin of people, just like Bigfooters do. Look how brainwashed you are, believing in NASA and all...
AlaskaBushPilot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th March 2019, 12:55 AM   #56
trustbutverify
Philosopher

Originally Posted by AlaskaBushPilot View Post

They know perfectly well the earth is round. It's pretty easy to pretend you don't though, and certain personality types love trolling other people this way.

It actually does require organizing a complete line of ******** about the outer rim of the earth being this 200 foot high sheet of ice and the movements of the sun and moon are this guy holding a flashlight, etc.

I have seen a number of them use it to really get under the skin of people, just like Bigfooters do. Look how brainwashed you are, believing in NASA and all...
There are massive numbers of true believers in both of these fantasies.

Wollen owns the stage
trustbutverify is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th March 2019, 12:58 AM   #57
trustbutverify
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Venom View Post
It's a good, simple epistemological exercise.

I have an inactive account at the Flat Earth Society website and a good 95% of the posters have to be trolls and saboteurs, and the remaining 5% mentally ill or so incredibly radically conspiracist that they actually believe the flat earth truth is being intentionally hidden from them.

It gets tiresome after a few minutes.
What started out as a lame, tiresome joke quickly became a sincere conspiracy theory.

Wollen owns the stage
trustbutverify is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th March 2019, 01:33 AM   #58
Mojo
Mostly harmless

I will use this thread simply because I see no reason to add extra flat Earther vids on the science forum.

The interesting thing here is it proves me wrong in my hypothesis too.

I was wrong. There literally are rational people that really do believe the Earth flat. And what happens here is a Flat Earther sets up an experiment to prove it!

The result should be no shock, but the reaction is priceless.

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

They did this back in the 19th century: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bedford_Level_experiment

"The poor mystic homeopaths feel like petted house-cats thrown at high flood on the breaking ice." - Leon Trotsky
Mojo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th March 2019, 06:49 AM   #59
Drewbot
Philosopher

Originally Posted by AlaskaBushPilot View Post

FEARGers

The fact that they haven't walked to the edge of the earth, tells me that they don't believe their stories.
Drewbot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th March 2019, 07:03 AM   #60
trustbutverify
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Drewbot View Post
FEARGers

The fact that they haven't walked to the edge of the earth, tells me that they don't believe their stories.
So most people who believe in the paranormal, don't actually believe in the paranormal?

Wollen owns the stage
Old 20th March 2019, 07:06 AM   #61
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Drewbot View Post
FEARGers

They will tell you no one is allowed to the edge, there is an 'ice wall' and it is guarded.
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th March 2019, 09:29 AM   #62
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
They will tell you no one is allowed to the edge, there is an 'ice wall' and it is guarded.
And presumably the guards are invisible and omnipotent and vaporize violators, so there's no possible way this could be proven.

Quand il dit "cuic" le moineau croit tout dire. (When he's tweeted the sparrow thinks he's said it all. (Jules Renard)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th March 2019, 11:28 AM   #63
eerok
Quixoticist

It's not easy protecting a secret as diabolical and utterly pointless as this one.

Last edited by eerok; 20th March 2019 at 11:30 AM.
eerok is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th March 2019, 11:32 AM   #64
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by bruto View Post
And presumably the guards are invisible and omnipotent and vaporize violators, so there's no possible way this could be proven.
Ninja penguins and Seal Team 6 of course.

Last edited by Captain_Swoop; 20th March 2019 at 11:33 AM.
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th March 2019, 11:43 AM   #65
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by Bikewer View Post
Agreed. Flat earth is just ignorant nonsense. At least Hollow Earth has some air of mystery to it, dating to the tail end of the age of exploration.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st March 2019, 07:31 AM   #66
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

‘Flat Earthers’ planning bizarre Antarctica trip to prove conspiracy theory

Quote:
Conspiracy theorists are heading to the “end of the world” in a bizarre bid to prove the Earth isn’t a sphere.

The “Flat Earthers” plan is to sail to Antarctica to find the frozen barrier they believe marks the edge of our world.

The supposed “ice wall” is said to be a couple thousand feet thick, towers 164 feet high and surrounds the entire planet.

Next year’s trip — details of which are being kept under wraps — is being organized by the Flat Earth International Conference (FEIC).

Even YouTube star Logan Paul wants to join the expedition so he can “find the facts” behind the bonkers theories.

FEIC founder Robbie Davidson told Forbes: “If you take a globe and you squish it down, the Antarctic would go all the way around the Earth.

“It’s kind of like an ice shore and it’s very, very large. It’s not like you just go there and you can just peek over it.

“We don’t believe anything can fall off the edge, because a big portion of the flat earth community believes that we’re in a dome, like a snow globe.

“So the sun, moon and stars are all inside. It’s very high but all contained inside. So there’s no way to actually fall off of the earth.”
With this flat earth model in which Antarctica surrounds everything else, how long would the coastline of Antarctica be?

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...Flat_earth.png

Last edited by Puppycow; 21st March 2019 at 07:33 AM.
Puppycow is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st March 2019, 07:56 AM   #67
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by trustbutverify View Post
There are massive numbers of true believers in both of these fantasies.
I trust you, but would still like you to verify this claim.
theprestige is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st March 2019, 08:49 AM   #68
Tolls
Illuminator

Quote:
The supposed “ice wall” is said to be a couple thousand feet thick, towers 164 feet high and surrounds the entire planet.
Considering some of the ice cliffs heading into the sea can reach 300' or more, 164' isn't much. They'll just end up taking a picture of themselves next to one and go "told you so".
Tolls is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st March 2019, 09:29 AM   #69
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

So most people who believe in the paranormal, don't actually believe in the paranormal?
Exactly all those religious people who claim to believe in god don't really, they are just trying to take the piss out of everyone else.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st March 2019, 11:05 AM   #70
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

I wonder if the amount of nonsensical beliefs we are hearing from NBA atheltes has anything to do with the whole "One and Done" routine..something I truly despise.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 21st March 2019, 05:14 PM   #71
Venom
Graduate Poster

What started out as a lame, tiresome joke quickly became a sincere conspiracy theory.
I think it's actually the opposite. The flat earth conspiracy had some sincere adherents up until the mid 20th century or so.

This resurgence in modern times in the social media age just has to be lame trolling.
Venom is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st March 2019, 05:24 PM   #72
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

The best part of all this is that the world *is* flat, for the vast majority of people.

Think about this: When was the last time you were involved in an endeavor that depended on you knowing the Earth was round?
theprestige is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st March 2019, 06:38 PM   #73
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

Flat earth discussions (among people who don't believe it) usually come around to whether the flat-earthers sincerely hold those beliefs or if they are just trolling the rest of us.

Maybe it doesn't really matter though, whether their beliefs are sincere or just an elaborate troll? Either way, the effect is basically the same, isn't it?

There was a guy who built a home-made rocket to prove that the earth is flat. It went to an altitude of "about 1,875 feet". You could get higher in a hot air balloon or even just by hiking up a small hill.

I've definitely had the thought that "these people can't be serious, can they?" At the end of the day though, does it really matter to the rest of us if they really believe it or not?
Old 21st March 2019, 06:48 PM   #74
trustbutverify
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Venom View Post
I think it's actually the opposite. The flat earth conspiracy had some sincere adherents up until the mid 20th century or so.

This resurgence in modern times in the social media age just has to be lame trolling.
There's the problem. Rational folk simply don't want to believe how incredibly easy it is to convince large numbers of people of practically anything, just by using social media. If I had to describe this phenomenon, I'd say it was a social experiment, conducted by a small group of people with a lot of time on their hands, to see if they could use youtube to convince large numbers of something that makes absolutely no sense whatsoever, say... that the Earth is flat, but the illuminati has been keeping it a secret... for some reason. As it turns out, they could.

Wollen owns the stage
Old 21st March 2019, 06:58 PM   #75
trustbutverify
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Puppycow View Post
There was a guy who built a home-made rocket to prove that the earth is flat. It went to an altitude of "about 1,875 feet". You could get higher in a hot air balloon or even just by hiking up a small hill.
Well, at least he tried. I'm just gonna go ahead and assume this half-wit wasn't trolling.

Wollen owns the stage
Old 22nd March 2019, 02:01 AM   #76
MRC_Hans
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
The best part of all this is that the world *is* flat, for the vast majority of people.

Think about this: When was the last time you were involved in an endeavor that depended on you knowing the Earth was round?
I live by the sea, so every day. Also if you have the slightest interest in what happens around the world ... Or if you ever watch a sunset or a starry sky.

The most important point, however, is that on an everyday basis, people have no reason to think that the Earth is NOT round.

Hans
Old 22nd March 2019, 02:59 AM   #77
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Every time I fly or go to sea.
Old 22nd March 2019, 05:36 AM   #78
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Every time I fly or go to sea.
I bet not.
Old 22nd March 2019, 06:15 AM   #79
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

When you fly you don't have to know the earth is round, just as you don't need to know how to fly the plane, but somebody does.

Quand il dit "cuic" le moineau croit tout dire. (When he's tweeted the sparrow thinks he's said it all. (Jules Renard)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd March 2019, 06:45 AM   #80
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

I bet not.
Navigation relies on the earth being a globe and has done for centuries.
Every time a ship or aircraft arrives at it's destination it confirms the earth being a globe.
Every time I use GPS it confirms the earth being a globe.

Last edited by Captain_Swoop; 22nd March 2019 at 06:46 AM.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology