ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags flat earth , flat earthers , Kyrie Irving

Old 17th February 2017, 11:09 PM   #1
gerdbonk
Penultimate Amazing

Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula
Kyrie Irving, Flat Earther

Hey everyone, just so you know: Kyrie Irving believes the Earth is flat

Quote:
"Anything that you have a particular question on, OK — Is the world flat or round? — I think you need to do research on it. It’s right in front of our faces. I’m telling you it’s right in front of our faces. They lie to us.”

I'm pissed at "they" for lying to us. Who do "they" think they are?

Disavow any knowledge of my twitter here.
gerdbonk is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th February 2017, 12:38 AM   #2
philkensebben
Illuminator

Flat Earthers still exist?
philkensebben is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th February 2017, 01:08 AM   #3
MikeG
Now. Do it now.

You school system really does have a lot to answer for.
"The Conservatives want to keep wogs out and march boldly back to the 1950s when Britain still had an Empire and blacks, women, poofs and Irish knew their place." The Don That's what we've sunk to here.
MikeG is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th February 2017, 01:34 AM   #4
philkensebben
Illuminator

Originally Posted by MikeG View Post
You school system really does have a lot to answer for.
The English one is perfect though.
philkensebben is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th February 2017, 01:38 AM   #5
MikeG
Now. Do it now.

Originally Posted by philkensebben View Post
We don't produce many flat earthers or creationists.
"The Conservatives want to keep wogs out and march boldly back to the 1950s when Britain still had an Empire and blacks, women, poofs and Irish knew their place." The Don That's what we've sunk to here.
MikeG is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th February 2017, 01:38 AM   #6
trustbutverify
Philosopher

Check youtube. It's running wild.

Wollen owns the stage
trustbutverify is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th February 2017, 01:50 AM   #7
Red Baron Farms
Illuminator

Mostly as a debate and rational thought experiment. Actual real flat Earthers don't really exist. The reason is this: In order to be educated enough to even argue the flat earther case, one generally is educated enough to know it isn't true.
"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system." Bill Mollison
Biome Carbon Cycle Management
Red Baron Farms is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th February 2017, 02:33 AM   #8
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Originally Posted by gerdbonk View Post
Hey everyone, just so you know: Kyrie Irving believes the Earth is flat

I'm pissed at "they" for lying to us. Who do "they" think they are?
I could tell you -
But then I would have to pound you flat.
Old 18th February 2017, 02:58 AM   #9
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Red Baron Farms View Post
Mostly as a debate and rational thought experiment. Actual real flat Earthers don't really exist. The reason is this: In order to be educated enough to even argue the flat earther case, one generally is educated enough to know it isn't true.
Flat Earthers exist. Earth has to be flat because 'They' tell you it isn't. Schools, Scientists, NASA, the Government, they are allpart of the conspiracy, everything is a lie. You have to do your own research to find the truth.

Check Youtube. Some of it is joking but there are a frightening number of believers.

Last edited by Captain_Swoop; 18th February 2017 at 03:11 AM.
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th February 2017, 03:03 AM   #10
MikeG
Now. Do it now.

"Oom Paul".......Paul Kruger, famous president of South Africa, was a flat earther. The funny thing about this is that he was introduced to the first man to sail around the world solo, Joshua Slocum, and told him flat out to his face that what he was doing was impossible because the earth was flat. Slocum had completed about 80% of the journey at that stage. I'd have loved to have witnessed that meeting!

Last edited by MikeG; 18th February 2017 at 03:10 AM.
Old 18th February 2017, 03:08 AM   #11
trustbutverify
Philosopher

They exist, I'm afraid. Big time.

Wollen owns the stage
trustbutverify is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th February 2017, 04:54 AM   #12
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

There isnt the same history of epistemic egalitarianism that Jacob Bronowski described as "everyone being the judge of everything." We see it more in Australia today but it must be resisted and we should increase respect for learning and expertise.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DFgnGUL78MU&t=30m37s
Old 18th February 2017, 06:09 AM   #13
philkensebben
Illuminator

Originally Posted by MikeG View Post
We don't produce many flat earthers or creationists.
It was a joke at the expense of your rather unfortunate typo.
Old 18th February 2017, 07:21 AM   #14
MikeG
Now. Do it now.

It was a joke at the expense of your rather unfortunate typo.
It took me two goes to see it.
Old 18th February 2017, 07:54 AM   #15
marplots
Penultimate Amazing

It's pretty flat near me.
marplots is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th February 2017, 08:51 AM   #16
Foster Zygote
Dental Floss Tycoon

To add to what others have stated: yes, they do exist. It's become a gnostic cult with a very tenacious following, just like the 9/11 truthers or the Apollo hoax nuts. True, they are people who can't perform the simple geometry to see how ridiculous the claims that the earth is flat really are. But, sadly, there is no shortage of people that ignorant, even in developed nations. If no one could truly be dumb enough to believe the earth is flat, then no one could be dumb enough to believe that the earth is 6000 years old, or that there is a war between angels and demons going on around us right now. And beyond that, as a gnostic cult, most followers simply refuse to acknowledge the clear evidence when it is placed directly in front of them, simply because they want to believe that the earth is flat, because that makes them feel special. It means that they are among an elite few who are brilliant enough not to be fooled by "them". This modern version of flat-earth belief, often referred to as the zetetic cosmology, has been around since the mid 19th Century, and seems to be growing in recent times thanks to the internet and declining educational standards.
Counterbalance in the little town of Ridgeview, Ohio. Two people permanently enslaved by the tyranny of fear and superstitution, facing the future with a kind of helpless dread. Two others facing the future with confidence - having escaped one of the darker places of the Twilight Zone.
Foster Zygote is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th February 2017, 01:36 PM   #17
fuelair
Cythraul Enfys

Kyrie Irving, Flat Earther, Tird Tapper, Mental AND Physical Masturbator and Royal Pain in his Mother's Bottom!!!

Wash this space!

We fight for the Lady Babylon!!!
fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th February 2017, 03:19 PM   #18
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Who?

And for the record, actual genuine flat earthers do exist, and they really do believe it - it's not an intellectual exercise or a thought experiment, they actually, genuinely really honestly do believe that the world is flat. There was an early episode of the podcast Be Reasonable which featured one of them.

I'll tell you who else is a flat earther - Thomas Dolby. Yeah, this guy:

https://vimeo.com/196664072
Old 18th February 2017, 03:33 PM   #19
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by marplots View Post
It's pretty flat near me.
Around here we call your type flatlanders.

2004 cyclist on road.jpg

Quand il dit "cuic" le moineau croit tout dire. (When he's tweeted the sparrow thinks he's said it all. (Jules Renard)
bruto is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th February 2017, 04:17 PM   #20
Beady
Philosopher

Originally Posted by bruto View Post
Around here we call your type flatlanders.

Attachment 36421
Flatliners?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
Old 18th February 2017, 05:23 PM   #21
fuelair
Cythraul Enfys

Flat Flounders???

Wash this space!

We fight for the Lady Babylon!!!
fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th February 2017, 06:38 PM   #22
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Flap Fondlers?
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th February 2017, 06:42 PM   #23
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

The person mentioned in the OP appears to be a professional athlete. I'm sure he's very good at what he does, but professional athletes are not noted for the high level of their knowledge. Despite frequently having degrees from some famous university;
Old 18th February 2017, 07:12 PM   #24
Red Baron Farms
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
The person mentioned in the OP appears to be a professional athlete. I'm sure he's very good at what he does, but professional athletes are not noted for the high level of their knowledge. Despite frequently having degrees from some famous university;
In his interview he also admits when pressed several times he really doesn't believe in flat earth either. Which I still contend is by far the majority of flat earthers, even though I was shot down repeatedly for saying they don't exist at all. Insignificantly small in number is what I should have said.
"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system." Bill Mollison
Red Baron Farms is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th February 2017, 08:15 PM   #25
Whip
Graduate Poster

Draymond agrees with Kyrie on flat-earth theory

Quote:
It turns out that Kyrie Irving isn't the only NBA player to believe the earth is really flat.

While the vast majority have mocked the Cavaliers point guard for his controversial viewpoint, Draymond Green chose to stick up for his Team USA teammate, believing that humans wouldn't be able to properly stand if the earth was round.
http://www.thescore.com/nba/news/123...t-earth-theory

perhaps they should play with a sheet of paper with a basketball printed on it.
Whip is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th February 2017, 10:08 PM   #26
LSSBB
Devilish Dictionarian

Originally Posted by Foster Zygote View Post
To add to what others have stated: yes, they do exist. It's become a gnostic cult with a very tenacious following, just like the 9/11 truthers or the Apollo hoax nuts. True, they are people who can't perform the simple geometry to see how ridiculous the claims that the earth is flat really are. But, sadly, there is no shortage of people that ignorant, even in developed nations. If no one could truly be dumb enough to believe the earth is flat, then no one could be dumb enough to believe that the earth is 6000 years old, or that there is a war between angels and demons going on around us right now. And beyond that, as a gnostic cult, most followers simply refuse to acknowledge the clear evidence when it is placed directly in front of them, simply because they want to believe that the earth is flat, because that makes them feel special. It means that they are among an elite few who are brilliant enough not to be fooled by "them". This modern version of flat-earth belief, often referred to as the zetetic cosmology, has been around since the mid 19th Century, and seems to be growing in recent times thanks to the internet and declining educational standards.
Just the fact that people in Australia see the moon as upside down compared to the US debunks them.
Old 18th February 2017, 10:58 PM   #27
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Just goes to show that it doesn't matter how good a sportsman you are, you can still be an ignorant asshat

Maybe there is something about the "Irving" name that tends to attract stupid.
Old 18th February 2017, 11:40 PM   #28
gerdbonk
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by LSSBB View Post
Just the fact that people in Australia see the moon as upside down compared to the US debunks them.
Does Australia even exist in Flat Earth geography? I think it's a myth, like drop bears and kangaroos.

gerdbonk is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th February 2017, 03:09 AM   #29
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

In his interview he also admits when pressed several times he really doesn't believe in flat earth either. Which I still contend is by far the majority of flat earthers, even though I was shot down repeatedly for saying they don't exist at all. Insignificantly small in number is what I should have said.
Compared to the rest of the world, obviously yeah.

What I should have said earlier is that Thomas Dolby is member no.1 of the modern Flat Earth society. He named one of his albums "The Flat Earth" (good album, too).

There are in fact disagreements among flat earthers about the exact form that the earth takes. The only thing they can really agree on is that the earth isn't a globe.
Old 19th February 2017, 09:37 PM   #30
gerdbonk
Penultimate Amazing

Why doesn't science have goons in its employ? Just a friendly visit to deliver some "evidence" to those who refuse to "wise up".

Old 20th February 2017, 07:56 AM   #31
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

Basketball players have an edge here. Because they're so tall, from their vantage it's clear there is no curvature.

Reading up on flat earthers, they say the earth is a disc, the north pole lies at the center of the disk, and Antarctica lies on the perimeter where tall mountains of ice prevent us from going/looking over the edge. Or something like that.
Old 20th February 2017, 08:06 AM   #32
Worm
Master Poster

One of the characters I have various ongoing discussions with via a local paper's comments section is a Flat Earther. I too was surprised that they still exist.

This one has some theory about the world being a big sheet of ice with little 'pools' of land such as earth. The mental shenanigans involved in maintaining this in the face of all evidence is rather amusing.

This is also combined with Freemen on the land, cannabis as a cure for cancer, and various other nutjob flights of fancy. At one time another thing would crop up and surprise me, but I've long since stopped being surprised.

Not all cults are bad - I've joined a cult of niceness
Worm is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th February 2017, 08:46 AM   #33
Tolls
Illuminator

Originally Posted by gerdbonk View Post
Why doesn't science have goons in its employ?
Wouldn't do much good...they're all dead.
Tolls is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th February 2017, 11:11 AM   #34
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Tolls View Post
Wouldn't do much good...they're all dead.
Shut up Eccles!!!!
Old 20th February 2017, 12:14 PM   #35
trustbutverify
Philosopher

Where?

Wollen owns the stage
Old 20th February 2017, 12:32 PM   #36
alexi_drago
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by LSSBB View Post
I wouldn't say so, consider 2 people on a flat plane, one to the north, one to the south 20 miles apart with the moon in the middle 10 miles above. The north facing hemisphere is blue and the south facing hemisphere is red. From the point of view of the guy to the south the moon is blue at the bottom and red at the top, the north guy sees the opposite, red at the bottom and blue at the top.
Old 20th February 2017, 01:07 PM   #37
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Ya know, celebrities and athletes saying stupid stuff shouldn't even qualify as news. Or even threadworthy.
Old 20th February 2017, 01:14 PM   #38
MikeG
Now. Do it now.

Originally Posted by alexi_drago View Post
I wouldn't say so, consider 2 people on a flat plane, one to the north, one to the south 20 miles apart with the moon in the middle 10 miles above. The north facing hemisphere is blue and the south facing hemisphere is red. From the point of view of the guy to the south the moon is blue at the bottom and red at the top, the north guy sees the opposite, red at the bottom and blue at the top.
Get them to both lie down, with their heads facing north, and they'll both see blue at the top, red at the bottom, albeit with differing proportions. That little puzzle is all about top and bottom, and nothing much to do with the location of the moon relative to the observers.
Old 20th February 2017, 04:48 PM   #39
Red Baron Farms
Illuminator

Originally Posted by trustbutverify View Post
Where?
http://www.nba.com/cavaliers/features/road-trip-170217 about 1/2 way through iirc
Old 15th March 2019, 05:19 AM   #40
Red Baron Farms
Illuminator

Flat Earther sets out to prove it scientifically.

I will use this thread simply because I see no reason to add extra flat Earther vids on the science forum.

The interesting thing here is it proves me wrong in my hypothesis too.

I was wrong. There literally are rational people that really do believe the Earth flat. And what happens here is a Flat Earther sets up an experiment to prove it!

The result should be no shock, but the reaction is priceless.

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

Last edited by Red Baron Farms; 15th March 2019 at 05:21 AM.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology