ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 13th December 2018, 04:59 PM   #81
EHocking
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Diablo View Post
You get free drinks for a whole day?!? Wow, I get that.
This is a country who’s politicians decide the best solution to binge drinking was 24hr licenses for pubs.

I remember a colleague saying to me at the time, “you Aussies know all about binge drinking.” My response? “That would imply that we stop”
You can't make up anything anymore. The world itself is a satire. All you're doing is recording it. Art Buchwald
EHocking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th December 2018, 07:07 AM   #82
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by EHocking View Post
This is a country who’s politicians decide the best solution to binge drinking was 24hr licenses for pubs.

I remember a colleague saying to me at the time, “you Aussies know all about binge drinking.” My response? “That would imply that we stop”
Growing up in the English drinking culture they were right. Trying to get down as much as possible before last orders and then as last orders were called meant you got those drinks down your neck as fast as possible.

Of course it isn't something that can be tackled with one simple action.
Old 14th December 2018, 07:15 AM   #83
Dave Rogers
Bandaged ice that stampedes inexpensively through a scribbled morning waving necessary ankles

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
Growing up in the English drinking culture they were right. Trying to get down as much as possible before last orders and then as last orders were called meant you got those drinks down your neck as fast as possible.

Of course it isn't something that can be tackled with one simple action.
Oh, I don't know, with enough practice doing it in a single motion is pretty easy.

Dave
Me: So what you're saying is that, if the load carrying ability of the lower structure is reduced to the point where it can no longer support the load above it, it will collapse without a jolt, right?

Tony Szamboti: That is right
Dave Rogers is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th December 2018, 08:40 AM   #84
Spock Jenkins
Muse

I have one or two drinks a month on a heavy drinking month, and had two heart surgeries by the time I was 36.

Genetics plays more of a role in individuals health than just about anything else is my guess.

One person tolerates a drink or two dailyjust fine. Another cant stop themselves once they start and would be best swearing it off all together.
Spock Jenkins is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th December 2018, 10:18 AM   #85
casebro
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Spock Jenkins View Post
I have one or two drinks a month on a heavy drinking month, and had two heart surgeries by the time I was 36.

Genetics plays more of a role in individuals health than just about anything else is my guess.

One person tolerates a drink or two dailyjust fine. Another cant stop themselves once they start and would be best swearing it off all together.
Heart vessel troubles are the thing that is prevented by alcohol. It's not that you drank too much, you didn't drink enough.

And yeah, genetics. There is a gene for Insulin Resistance (IR), the IRS-1 gene. It directly affects blood vessel lining, causing hypertension by reducing the out put of nitric oxide, which lowers blood pressure. Alcohol dilates blood vessels too.
casebro is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th December 2018, 03:59 PM   #86
jonesdave116
Illuminator

What was the question? Forget it, the bar is closing in half an hour.

“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” - George Carlin
jonesdave116 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th December 2018, 09:41 AM   #87
dann
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
It always seems to me that people who want to use a recreational drug will keep searching and searching for any kind of "benefit" they can find. It's akin to research into the "benefits" of male genital mutilation, often said to be a procedure looking for a benefit.

True!

Quote:
If you want to use a recreational drug just use it, stop trying to convince other folk that they should also be using it!

Could it be that some of us, much like Spock Jenkins three posts above this one, drink less than what the latest reports are recommending and are actually interested in hearing about the health benefits of drinking a beer or two a day? I drink more than Spock but less than now recommended even though I've raised my consumption of alcohol based on the new recommendations. (Based on taste, I would much rather drink the sugary stuff to beer or wine, but for some reason my stomach can't seem to handle large amounts of ordinary sugar anymore, so I abstain. That it also seems to be unhealthy wasn't what made me stop drinking sodas, but it's made me feel good about the decision.)

It's obvious that some alcoholics will use the new recommendations as an excuse to continue drinking too much, i.e. to use alcohol as a recreational drug. However, that hardly characterizes those of us who drink less than two glasses of wine or beer a day. I've taken the recommended amounts of alcohol into consideration much the same way I did with the new recommendation of drinking a small glass of orange juice a day. Mood changes and hallucinations caused by the orange juice are at the same as when I consume alcohol: nil!
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th December 2018, 09:57 AM   #88
dann
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Spock Jenkins View Post

Sometimes they do, sometimes they don't. I knew a guy who had had a triple coronary bypass operation at 40, which doesn't happen to most of us, fortunately, but on the other hand, if this is true (and it seems to be!):
Quote:
It is hypothesized that the Danish government's efforts to decrease trans fat intake from 6 g to 1 g per day over 20 years is related to a 50% decrease in deaths from ischemic heart disease.
Trans fat: Denmark (Wikpedia)
- then 'nurture' seems to play a much bigger role than previously suspected.
Wouldn't you like to know if your own health problems could have been prevented, or might at least have been postponed, if it weren't for the completely unnecessary hydrogenation of oils used for human consumption?!

Quote:
One person tolerates a drink or two daily just fine. Another can't stop themselves once they start and would be best swearing it off all together.

I think you're right, and the new recommendations all stress that you shouldn't use the latest results as an excuse to start drinking more than one (women) or two (men) glasses of beer or wine a day.
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th December 2018, 10:23 AM   #89
Spock Jenkins
Muse

Originally Posted by casebro View Post
Heart vessel troubles are the thing that is prevented by alcohol. It's not that you drank too much, you didn't drink enough.
Actually my vessels are as clean as they come with cholesterol levels in the 100’s and the HDL (good cholesterol) above recommended levels (a good thing). I had a defective aortic valve and followed that up with an aortic aneurysm. Strictly genetics.

I knew a girl in high school that was as fit appearing as anyone, but had cholesterol levels well into the 300’s. Genetics again.
Spock Jenkins is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th December 2018, 02:15 PM   #90
mgidm86
Philosopher

Originally Posted by bigred View Post
:facepalm:

Because it isn't necessarily about living or dying? What if (to use just one example) such a brilliant lifestyle choice causes a stroke, leaving them paralyzed to the point where they can't even dress themselves or go to the bathroom themselves (etc etc)...and oops they didn't count on living into their 90s, meaning a REAL long period of time for such a miserable, horrific existence....and that's only if they can afford decent care. Can't? It gets worse.

I guess I shouldn't be surprised, after all this is the internet, but an (alleged) nurse making such a statement is more than a little irresponsible, if not outright nauseating. Is this the advice you give to elderly relatives?
You could suffer all of that without ever having a drink. I think the point is that there is a lot of wiggle-room between being safe and having a fulfilling and fun life.
Old 16th December 2018, 04:55 AM   #91
dann
Philosopher

The most obvious question to ask is why would "such a brilliant lifestyle choice cause s a stroke"?
It's like the question, 'What's the use of staying sober if I'm killed by a bus in traffic?'
You might not have been killed by the bus if you'd stayed sober ...
Old 13th January 2019, 09:12 PM   #92
casebro
Penultimate Amazing

IIRC, this is the thread with the link about how advantageous alcohol is for diabetics.

Sitting here having a thought, with a glass of White Zinfandel, because I found White Zin goes well with thoughts- Alcohol relaxes blood vessels, even to the point of making faces turn red. T2D is caused by a defect in the IRS-1 gene, which also causes hypertension via the PI3 enzyme in the endothelial cells of arteries by stifling the output of NOx. <IRS-1 PI3> The reason that alcohol is good at preventing heart disease in T2D is that it treats the hypertension. Very directly close to the cause of the hypertension. It's probably the reason so many HPTN drugs end in the suffix -ol. I prefer White Zin to Atenolol.

And then there is the diuretic effect of alcohol too. I'd rather Flat Ass Tired than Hydrochlorothiazide.

Perhaps Absinth will preserve my kidney function?
casebro is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th March 2019, 08:29 PM   #93
Orphia Nay
Penguilicious Spodmaster.
Tagger

Location: Ponylandistan Presidential Palace (above the Spods' stables).
Quote from elsewhere which pretty much nails it:

Well from what I remember (I'd have to go look for the studies but ways too lazy to do so right now):

1. Alcohol in moderate amounts (red wine especially) has a cardio protective effect. Meaning, it is good for your heart.
2. Alcohol in any amount can increase the risk for various types of cancer.

Which risk you prefer (heart attack or cancer) is up to you.

End quote.
Old 11th March 2019, 05:27 AM   #94
casebro
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Orphia Nay View Post
Quote from elsewhere which pretty much nails it:

Well from what I remember (I'd have to go look for the studies but ways too lazy to do so right now):

1. Alcohol in moderate amounts (red wine especially) has a cardio protective effect. Meaning, it is good for your heart.
2. Alcohol in any amount can increase the risk for various types of cancer.

Which risk you prefer (heart attack or cancer) is up to you.

End quote.
Have you read the study in this thread? Seems that while alcohol has it's down sides,(mostly accidental death among the young adults) for a common metabolic type, it's the best thing since sliced bread. In diabetics, it cuts the death rate by more than Statin drugs do. I'll drink to that!
Old 11th March 2019, 11:13 PM   #95
Orphia Nay
Tagger

Have you read the study in this thread? Seems that while alcohol has it's down sides,(mostly accidental death among the young adults) for a common metabolic type, it's the best thing since sliced bread. In diabetics, it cuts the death rate by more than Statin drugs do. I'll drink to that!
(Assuming you can drink it in appropriate amounts) it can help your heart, and it can help your diabetes, but it still increases your risk of cancer.

Last edited by Orphia Nay; 11th March 2019 at 11:16 PM.
Orphia Nay is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th March 2019, 05:25 PM   #96
EHocking
Philosopher

IIRC, this is the thread with the link about how advantageous alcohol is for diabetics.
Perhaps Absinth will preserve my kidney function?
Not the kidneys.

Absynthe makes the heart grow fonder.
You can't make up anything anymore. The world itself is a satire. All you're doing is recording it. Art Buchwald
EHocking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th May 2019, 09:57 AM   #97
Orphia Nay
Tagger

(Assuming you can drink it in appropriate amounts) it can help your heart, and it can help your diabetes, but it still increases your risk of cancer.

Plus, to get any benefit from the supposedly beneficial ingredient in red wine, resveratrol, you'd have to drink 200 bottles a day.

https://theconversation.com/these-5-...s-a-lot-116730

If you think endorsement of drinking 200 bottles of red wine a day is funny, I suggest you have no perspective on how bad your problem is.
Old 15th May 2019, 11:17 AM   #98
p0lka
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by bigred View Post
I don't think it's anywhere near that cut and dry. Beer for ex is high in carbs, hence higher blood sugar. Sweeter wines can be even worse.
Yes, they can initially raise blood glucose. But according to my diabetic specialists you can suffer from hypos later as the liver is having to deal with the alcohol before it does its normal glucose stuff.

oh found a quote from https://www.diabetes.co.uk/diabetes-and-alcohol.html

Quote:
If you have more than a single drink, most alcoholic drinks will tend to initially raise your blood sugar.

Typically beers, lagers, wines, sherries and liqueurs will have this effect. However, alcohol inhibits the liver from turning proteins into glucose which means you're at a greater risk of hypoglycemia once your blood sugars start to come down. If you have a number of these drinks, you can expect to see a rise in blood sugar followed by a steady drop a number of hours later, often whilst asleep. People who take insulin, in particular, therefore need to be wary of hypoglycemia.
EDIT:
I've been t1 for thirty years, always drank too much but only in the evenings though. I'm 50 in july and have no complications whatsoever. My BMI is on the lower end of the normal range.
I find that older t1 diabetics generally look after themselves in terms of their diet, the carbs vs insulin injections focus the mind, or they would have died years ago.

Not sure whether alcohol is helping or hindering, though it does raise then lower your blood glucose later which can be helpful in certain situations.

Last edited by p0lka; 15th May 2019 at 11:42 AM.
p0lka is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th May 2019, 04:42 PM   #99
casebro
Penultimate Amazing

I just got out of the ICU for a small heart attack- probably actually a BP crisis. See my thread in FC. Discharge question was "do you drink less than 4 glasses of wine per day?" T2D for 40 years now.
Old 15th May 2019, 05:21 PM   #100
curious cat
Thinker

Alcohol in small doses is harmless in any amounts
I saw a sign in front of Rainbow Beach bottle shop:
"Always buy the bigger bottle. Better to be safe than sober!"
curious cat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th May 2019, 05:32 PM   #101
p0lka
Graduate Poster

I just got out of the ICU for a small heart attack- probably actually a BP crisis. See my thread in FC. Discharge question was "do you drink less than 4 glasses of wine per day?" T2D for 40 years now.
Sorry to hear that. I assumed you were type 1 because you mentioned taking insulin in an earlier post, shows that I need to read up more on t2, doh.
p0lka is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th May 2019, 05:49 PM   #102
casebro
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by p0lka View Post
Sorry to hear that. I assumed you were type 1 because you mentioned taking insulin in an earlier post, shows that I need to read up more on t2, doh.
Insulin production slows as we age. And insulin resistance increases. So T2s can need insulin, and T1s can need extra due to the resistance increase.
Old 15th May 2019, 07:29 PM   #103
bigred
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by curious cat View Post
Alcohol in small doses is harmless in any amounts
As ON pointed out, this simply isn't true

Quote:
I saw a sign in front of Rainbow Beach bottle shop:
"Always buy the bigger bottle. Better to be safe than sober!"
g/l with that

Last edited by bigred; 15th May 2019 at 08:00 PM.
bigred is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th May 2019, 03:06 AM   #104
EHocking
Philosopher

Plus, to get any benefit from the supposedly beneficial ingredient in red wine, resveratrol, you'd have to drink 200 bottles a day.

https://theconversation.com/these-5-...s-a-lot-116730

If you think endorsement of drinking 200 bottles of red wine a day is funny, I suggest you have no perspective on how bad your problem is.
But the subject was alcohol not resveratol. The Mayo clinic says this about alcohol,
Various studies have shown that moderate amounts of all types of alcohol benefit your heart, not just alcohol found in red wine. It's thought that alcohol:

Raises HDL (healthy) cholesterol
Reduces the formation of blood clots
Helps prevent artery damage caused by high levels of LDL (harmful) cholesterol
May improve the function of the layer of cells that line your blood vessels (endothelium)
Declaring excessive consumption would be necessary for any benefit is merely argumentum ad absurdum.
Again from the Mayo article,
If you already drink red wine, do so in moderation. For healthy adults, that means:

Up to one drink a day for women of all ages.
Up to one drink a day for men older than age 65.
Up to two drinks a day for men age 65 and younger. The limit for men is higher because men generally weigh more and have more of an enzyme that metabolizes alcohol than women do.
A drink is defined as:

12 ounces (355 milliliters, or mL) of beer
5 ounces (148 mL) of wine
1.5 ounces (44 mL) of 80-proof distilled spirits

Last edited by EHocking; 16th May 2019 at 03:12 AM.
Old 16th May 2019, 04:17 AM   #105
casebro
Penultimate Amazing

But the subject was alcohol not resveratol. The Mayo clinic says this about alcohol,
Various studies have shown that moderate amounts of all types of alcohol benefit your heart, not just alcohol found in red wine. It's thought that alcohol:

May improve the function of the layer of cells that line your blood vessels (endothelium)
Declaring excessive consumption would be necessary for any benefit is merely argumentum ad absurdum.
If you already drink red wine, do so in moderation. For healthy adults, that means:

Up to two drinks a day for men age 65 and younger. The limit for men is higher because men generally weigh more and have more of an enzyme that metabolizes alcohol than women do.
A drink is defined as:

At least the study in the OP has actual stats. Where did Mayo get their data?
Old 16th May 2019, 05:13 AM   #106
Thermal
Philosopher

I'm still rather taken with the thread title. It hearkens to my postings while I'm trying to make the red squiggly lines go away.
Old 16th May 2019, 05:49 AM   #107
dann
Philosopher

Quote:
Således viste en analyse fra 2011 af samtlige eksisterende befolkningsstudier, at sundhedsvirkninger af alkohol udelukkende kunne påvises for øl og vin, og at der absolut intet positivt kunne findes for stærk spiritus.
Kineserne elsker at drikke ”baijiu”, som holder op til 65 procent alkohol, og den slags stærk spiritus var det fremherskende i 2004-2008, da undersøgelses begyndte. At hælde et kun ”let fortyndet organisk opløsningsmiddel” ned i mavetarmkanalen har der aldrig været holdepunkter for var sundt.
Til gengæld var der ingen forskel på vin og øl, som synes at have positive virkninger på risiko for blodpropper og diabetes ikke kun som følge af lidt fortyndet alkohol, men også som følge af en række andre bioaktive stoffer i drikkene.
Men som jeg tidligere har understreget, så er budskabet ikke, at man skal begynde at drikke i den tro, at det gavner helbredet. Vi synes ikke, at nogen skal begynde at drikke, fordi der er en sundhedsgevinst. Men øl og vin er en del af vores kultur, som mange forbinder med nydelse, hygge og livskvalitet. Og så synes vi ikke, at man skal sige til folk, at det pludselig er skadeligt at få en enkelt genstand, og at det er bedst at holde sig helt fra alkohol.
Arne Astrup: Nyt studie skræmmer unødigt øl- og vinelskere (Propatiente, April 8, 2019)

Google translation, slightly improved by me:
Quote:
Thus, an analysis from 2011 of all existing population studies showed that health effects of alcohol could only be detected for beer and wine, and that absolutely nothing positive could be found for strong spirits.
The Chinese love to drink "baijiu", which holds up to 65 percent alcohol, and that kind of strong liquor was prevalent in 2004-2008 when the study began. There was never reason to claim that it was healthy to pour a "slightly diluted organic solvent" down the gastrointestinal tract.
On the other hand, there was no difference between wine and beer, which seem to have positive effects on the risk of blood clots and diabetes not due only to a little bit of diluted alcohol, but also to a number of other bioactive ingredients in the drinks.
But as I have previously emphasized, the message is not that one should start drinking in the belief that it benefits health. We do not think anyone should start drinking because there is a health benefit. But beer and wine are an element of our culture that many associate with pleasure, hygge and quality of life. And we also do not think that one should tell people that it has suddenly become harmful to have a single glass (of beer or wine) and that it is best to abstain from alcohol completely.
New study scares beer and wine lovers unduly

Last edited by dann; 16th May 2019 at 05:50 AM.
Old 16th May 2019, 06:41 AM   #108
casebro
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by dann View Post
Google translation, slightly improved by me:
Your translation mentions "a single glass"- was there any heath comparison of quantity in the study?
Old 16th May 2019, 07:05 AM   #109
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Good point. They do have a very well earned reputation for just making **** up and presenting it as sound medical advice. Or is it the opposite?

If I had a pet panda I would name it Snowflake.
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th May 2019, 07:35 AM   #110
dann
Philosopher

Your translation mentions "a single glass"- was there any heath comparison of quantity in the study?

Yes, sorry, the Danish phrase is "en enkelt genstand", but Google Translate gets it all wrong, ("a single object"), so "a single glass (of wine or beer)" was my suggestion.

Quote:
1 genstand svarer til 15 ml eller 12 gram ren alkohol.
Genstand (alkohol) (Wikipedia)

"1 genstand corresponds to 15ml or 12 gram of pure alcohol."

It corresponds to but is different in size from Unit of alcohol (Wikipedia).

Last edited by dann; 16th May 2019 at 07:38 AM.
Old 16th May 2019, 07:36 AM   #111
Thermal
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Dr. Keith View Post
Good point. They do have a very well earned reputation for just making **** up and presenting it as sound medical advice. Or is it the opposite?
Seriously. Never trust condiment producers for sound medical research.
Old 16th May 2019, 07:39 AM   #112
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Originally Posted by Thermal View Post
Seriously. Never trust condiment producers for sound medical research.
I wouldn't say never. Heinz cured my french fries allergy.

If I had a pet panda I would name it Snowflake.
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th May 2019, 08:00 AM   #113
casebro
Penultimate Amazing

Yes, sorry, the Danish phrase is "en enkelt genstand", but Google Translate gets it all wrong, ("a single object"), so "a single glass (of wine or beer)" was my suggestion.

"1 genstand corresponds to 15ml or 12 gram of pure alcohol."

It corresponds to but is different in size from Unit of alcohol (Wikipedia).
No problem with the unit size, but the OP is about gross quantities- how many drinks per day is safe and beneficial? per that Danish study?
Old 16th May 2019, 01:00 PM   #114
dann
Philosopher

The study that scared beer and wine lovers unduly was this one:
Conventional and genetic evidence on alcohol and vascular disease aetiology: a prospective study of 500 000 men and women in China (The Lancet, April 4, 2019)

Arne Astrup ends the article I quoted from with this advice:

Quote:
Our documentation that moderate amounts of beer and wine are healthy is not the final truth. So enjoy a glass or two - we don't know when the next study appears, and we also don't know if it confirms or disproves that the health impact is real.

He is one of the authors of this book: The Nordic Way: Discover The World's Most Perfect Carb-to-Protein Ratio for Preventing Weight Gain or Regain, and Lowering Your Risk of Disease
Old 16th May 2019, 03:19 PM   #115
casebro
Penultimate Amazing

The study that scared beer and wine lovers unduly was this one:
Conventional and genetic evidence on alcohol and vascular disease aetiology: a prospective study of 500 000 men and women in China (The Lancet, April 4, 2019)

[/url][/i]
Quote:
Among men, conventional epidemiology showed that self-reported alcohol intake had U-shaped associations with the incidence of ischaemic stroke (n=14 930), intracerebral haemorrhage (n=3496), and acute myocardial infarction (n=2958); men who reported drinking about 100 g of alcohol per week (one to two drinks per day) had lower risks of all three diseases than non-drinkers or heavier drinkers.
The point of that study was whether the alcohol flush gene had any bearing on health outcome. Nope. (Alcohol Flush is when you turn red after a drink. It shows the benefit- dilated blood vessels)

So score another study for the benefit of moderate drinking.
Old 17th May 2019, 01:04 AM   #116
dann
Philosopher

... if you define moderate as one glass of wine or beer for women and two glasses for men, one glass containing "15ml or 12 gram of pure alcohol."

ETA: However, it doesn't seem to be a good idea for people with the flush gene to consume alcohol: Alcohol flush reaction: Pathophysiology (Wikipedia).

Last edited by dann; 17th May 2019 at 01:10 AM.
Old 17th May 2019, 01:37 AM   #117
Orphia Nay
Tagger

A drink is defined as:

We've moved on from the OP long ago.

Instead of "the supposedly beneficial ingredient", I meant, "a supposedly beneficial ingredient"

And it's already been shown that the risk of cancer outweighs the benefits you've listed.

Your daily recommendations have been superceded by many new studies/metastudies over the past few years.
Old 17th May 2019, 02:09 AM   #118
EHocking
Philosopher

References are listed in the article.
Old 17th May 2019, 02:19 AM   #119
EHocking
Philosopher

We've moved on from the OP long ago.

Instead of "the supposedly beneficial ingredient", I meant, "a supposedly beneficial ingredient"

And it's already been shown that the risk of cancer outweighs the benefits you've listed.

Your daily recommendations have been superceded by many new studies/metastudies over the past few years.
Meh,
Drinking studies muddied the waters around the safety of alcohol use
Study coauthor Emmanuela Gakidou, an expert in health metrics, acknowledges that the risks for light to moderate drinkers are small. In a given year, 914 per 100,000 people who drink no alcohol will die from one of the health conditions examined in the study. If all those people had one drink per day in that year, an extra four, for a total of 918, would die.
Old 17th May 2019, 03:01 AM   #120
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat

My impression from the various studies is that any amount of alcohol is carcinogenic, but small amounts may be protective against heart problems. I continue to drink one bottle of wine over every weekend because it's heart disease, not cancer, that is the big killer in my family.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology