ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 13th December 2018, 04:59 PM   #81
EHocking
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Diablo View Post
You get free drinks for a whole day?!? Wow, I get that.
This is a country who’s politicians decide the best solution to binge drinking was 24hr licenses for pubs.

I remember a colleague saying to me at the time, “you Aussies know all about binge drinking.” My response? “That would imply that we stop”
"It's all god's handiwork, there's little quality control applied", Fox26 reporter on Texas granite
Forum Birdwatching Webpage
EHocking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th December 2018, 07:07 AM   #82
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by EHocking View Post
This is a country who’s politicians decide the best solution to binge drinking was 24hr licenses for pubs.

I remember a colleague saying to me at the time, “you Aussies know all about binge drinking.” My response? “That would imply that we stop”
Growing up in the English drinking culture they were right. Trying to get down as much as possible before last orders and then as last orders were called meant you got those drinks down your neck as fast as possible.

Of course it isn't something that can be tackled with one simple action.
Old 14th December 2018, 07:15 AM   #83
Dave Rogers
Bandaged ice that stampedes inexpensively through a scribbled morning waving necessary ankles

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
Growing up in the English drinking culture they were right. Trying to get down as much as possible before last orders and then as last orders were called meant you got those drinks down your neck as fast as possible.

Of course it isn't something that can be tackled with one simple action.
Oh, I don't know, with enough practice doing it in a single motion is pretty easy.

Dave
Me: So what you're saying is that, if the load carrying ability of the lower structure is reduced to the point where it can no longer support the load above it, it will collapse without a jolt, right?

Tony Szamboti: That is right
Dave Rogers is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th December 2018, 08:40 AM   #84
Spock Jenkins
Muse

I have one or two drinks a month on a heavy drinking month, and had two heart surgeries by the time I was 36.

Genetics plays more of a role in individuals health than just about anything else is my guess.

One person tolerates a drink or two dailyjust fine. Another cant stop themselves once they start and would be best swearing it off all together.
Spock Jenkins is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th December 2018, 10:18 AM   #85
casebro
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Spock Jenkins View Post
I have one or two drinks a month on a heavy drinking month, and had two heart surgeries by the time I was 36.

Genetics plays more of a role in individuals health than just about anything else is my guess.

One person tolerates a drink or two dailyjust fine. Another cant stop themselves once they start and would be best swearing it off all together.
Heart vessel troubles are the thing that is prevented by alcohol. It's not that you drank too much, you didn't drink enough.

And yeah, genetics. There is a gene for Insulin Resistance (IR), the IRS-1 gene. It directly affects blood vessel lining, causing hypertension by reducing the out put of nitric oxide, which lowers blood pressure. Alcohol dilates blood vessels too.
casebro is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th December 2018, 03:59 PM   #86
jonesdave116
Illuminator

What was the question? Forget it, the bar is closing in half an hour.

“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” - George Carlin
jonesdave116 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th December 2018, 09:41 AM   #87
dann
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
It always seems to me that people who want to use a recreational drug will keep searching and searching for any kind of "benefit" they can find. It's akin to research into the "benefits" of male genital mutilation, often said to be a procedure looking for a benefit.

True!

Quote:
If you want to use a recreational drug just use it, stop trying to convince other folk that they should also be using it!

Could it be that some of us, much like Spock Jenkins three posts above this one, drink less than what the latest reports are recommending and are actually interested in hearing about the health benefits of drinking a beer or two a day? I drink more than Spock but less than now recommended even though I've raised my consumption of alcohol based on the new recommendations. (Based on taste, I would much rather drink the sugary stuff to beer or wine, but for some reason my stomach can't seem to handle large amounts of ordinary sugar anymore, so I abstain. That it also seems to be unhealthy wasn't what made me stop drinking sodas, but it's made me feel good about the decision.)

It's obvious that some alcoholics will use the new recommendations as an excuse to continue drinking too much, i.e. to use alcohol as a recreational drug. However, that hardly characterizes those of us who drink less than two glasses of wine or beer a day. I've taken the recommended amounts of alcohol into consideration much the same way I did with the new recommendation of drinking a small glass of orange juice a day. Mood changes and hallucinations caused by the orange juice are at the same as when I consume alcohol: nil!
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th December 2018, 09:57 AM   #88
dann
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Spock Jenkins View Post

Sometimes they do, sometimes they don't. I knew a guy who had had a triple coronary bypass operation at 40, which doesn't happen to most of us, fortunately, but on the other hand, if this is true (and it seems to be!):
Quote:
It is hypothesized that the Danish government's efforts to decrease trans fat intake from 6 g to 1 g per day over 20 years is related to a 50% decrease in deaths from ischemic heart disease.
Trans fat: Denmark (Wikpedia)
- then 'nurture' seems to play a much bigger role than previously suspected.
Wouldn't you like to know if your own health problems could have been prevented, or might at least have been postponed, if it weren't for the completely unnecessary hydrogenation of oils used for human consumption?!

Quote:
One person tolerates a drink or two daily just fine. Another can't stop themselves once they start and would be best swearing it off all together.

I think you're right, and the new recommendations all stress that you shouldn't use the latest results as an excuse to start drinking more than one (women) or two (men) glasses of beer or wine a day.
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th December 2018, 10:23 AM   #89
Spock Jenkins
Muse

Originally Posted by casebro View Post
Heart vessel troubles are the thing that is prevented by alcohol. It's not that you drank too much, you didn't drink enough.
Actually my vessels are as clean as they come with cholesterol levels in the 100’s and the HDL (good cholesterol) above recommended levels (a good thing). I had a defective aortic valve and followed that up with an aortic aneurysm. Strictly genetics.

I knew a girl in high school that was as fit appearing as anyone, but had cholesterol levels well into the 300’s. Genetics again.
Spock Jenkins is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th December 2018, 02:15 PM   #90
mgidm86
Philosopher

Originally Posted by bigred View Post
:facepalm:

Because it isn't necessarily about living or dying? What if (to use just one example) such a brilliant lifestyle choice causes a stroke, leaving them paralyzed to the point where they can't even dress themselves or go to the bathroom themselves (etc etc)...and oops they didn't count on living into their 90s, meaning a REAL long period of time for such a miserable, horrific existence....and that's only if they can afford decent care. Can't? It gets worse.

I guess I shouldn't be surprised, after all this is the internet, but an (alleged) nurse making such a statement is more than a little irresponsible, if not outright nauseating. Is this the advice you give to elderly relatives?
You could suffer all of that without ever having a drink. I think the point is that there is a lot of wiggle-room between being safe and having a fulfilling and fun life.
Old 16th December 2018, 04:55 AM   #91
dann
Philosopher

The most obvious question to ask is why would "such a brilliant lifestyle choice cause s a stroke"?
It's like the question, 'What's the use of staying sober if I'm killed by a bus in traffic?'
You might not have been killed by the bus if you'd stayed sober ...
Old 13th January 2019, 09:12 PM   #92
casebro
Penultimate Amazing

IIRC, this is the thread with the link about how advantageous alcohol is for diabetics.

Sitting here having a thought, with a glass of White Zinfandel, because I found White Zin goes well with thoughts- Alcohol relaxes blood vessels, even to the point of making faces turn red. T2D is caused by a defect in the IRS-1 gene, which also causes hypertension via the PI3 enzyme in the endothelial cells of arteries by stifling the output of NOx. <IRS-1 PI3> The reason that alcohol is good at preventing heart disease in T2D is that it treats the hypertension. Very directly close to the cause of the hypertension. It's probably the reason so many HPTN drugs end in the suffix -ol. I prefer White Zin to Atenolol.

And then there is the diuretic effect of alcohol too. I'd rather Flat Ass Tired than Hydrochlorothiazide.

Perhaps Absinth will preserve my kidney function?
casebro is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th March 2019, 08:29 PM   #93
Orphia Nay
Penguilicious Spodmaster.
Tagger

Location: Ponylandistan Presidential Palace (above the Spods' stables).
Quote from elsewhere which pretty much nails it:

Well from what I remember (I'd have to go look for the studies but ways too lazy to do so right now):

1. Alcohol in moderate amounts (red wine especially) has a cardio protective effect. Meaning, it is good for your heart.
2. Alcohol in any amount can increase the risk for various types of cancer.

Which risk you prefer (heart attack or cancer) is up to you.

End quote.
Old 11th March 2019, 05:27 AM   #94
casebro
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Orphia Nay View Post
Quote from elsewhere which pretty much nails it:

Well from what I remember (I'd have to go look for the studies but ways too lazy to do so right now):

1. Alcohol in moderate amounts (red wine especially) has a cardio protective effect. Meaning, it is good for your heart.
2. Alcohol in any amount can increase the risk for various types of cancer.

Which risk you prefer (heart attack or cancer) is up to you.

End quote.
Have you read the study in this thread? Seems that while alcohol has it's down sides,(mostly accidental death among the young adults) for a common metabolic type, it's the best thing since sliced bread. In diabetics, it cuts the death rate by more than Statin drugs do. I'll drink to that!
Old 11th March 2019, 11:13 PM   #95
Orphia Nay
Penguilicious Spodmaster.
Tagger

Location: Ponylandistan Presidential Palace (above the Spods' stables).
Have you read the study in this thread? Seems that while alcohol has it's down sides,(mostly accidental death among the young adults) for a common metabolic type, it's the best thing since sliced bread. In diabetics, it cuts the death rate by more than Statin drugs do. I'll drink to that!
(Assuming you can drink it in appropriate amounts) it can help your heart, and it can help your diabetes, but it still increases your risk of cancer.

Last edited by Orphia Nay; 11th March 2019 at 11:16 PM.
Orphia Nay is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th March 2019, 05:25 PM   #96
EHocking
Philosopher

IIRC, this is the thread with the link about how advantageous alcohol is for diabetics.
Perhaps Absinth will preserve my kidney function?
Not the kidneys.

Absynthe makes the heart grow fonder.
"It's all god's handiwork, there's little quality control applied", Fox26 reporter on Texas granite
Forum Birdwatching Webpage
EHocking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology