IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Education

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags algebra , education , tutoring

Old 25th May 2018, 08:39 AM   #1
mgardner
Thinker

Pre Alegebra Boot Camp

As a side job, I am a professional tutor. I have a student that struggled through his last year in Pre-Algebra, and ultimately failed the final, despite all the work I did to prepare him. So, next year, they are going to put him in Pre-Algebra again. His mother and I have agreed to spend this summer getting him proficient in the very basic of basics of algebra. So, I am preparing a very small "boot-camp" style set of problems that we are going to go over this summer until he is proficient in at least the most basic concepts.

What would you all suggest as a minimum level of competency to succeed in a pre-algebra course?
mgardner is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th May 2018, 12:27 PM   #2
Loss Leader
I would save the receptionist.

Originally Posted by mgardner View Post
As a side job, I am a professional tutor. I have a student that struggled through his last year in Pre-Algebra, and ultimately failed the final, despite all the work I did to prepare him. So, next year, they are going to put him in Pre-Algebra again. His mother and I have agreed to spend this summer getting him proficient in the very basic of basics of algebra. So, I am preparing a very small "boot-camp" style set of problems that we are going to go over this summer until he is proficient in at least the most basic concepts.

What would you all suggest as a minimum level of competency to succeed in a pre-algebra course?

I'm not sure what set of skills constitutes pre-algebra the don't also constitute regular math.

If he's having trouble with PEMDAS and similar stuff, I'd start to worry about dyslexia. Rather than tutoring, he may benefit from a full-on education assessment. The school district is probably required to do it if requested.

L. Leader
Loss Leader is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th May 2018, 03:39 AM   #3
Harte
Scholar

Ensure that the student knows and understands the properties of equality, what equality means and implies, and the difference between an expression and an equation, i.e. why the word "equation" starts with the letters "equa."

Then algebraic manipulation can be understood as the results of the properties of equality.

For slope, note that a slope of one ALWAYS goes exactly diagonally corner to corner through at least one pair of the boxes on graph paper (in basic Algebra problems, anyway.) Then it's easy to tell whether a slope is greater or less than one.

Once that's understood, you can go on to negative slopes, and calculating slopes by counting the boxes and with the slope formula.

With an understanding of these few basic things, most of the rest of a pre-Algebra class easily follows.
Harte is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th May 2018, 03:49 AM   #4
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

I have always tried to introduce algebra as the written language of maths. An English statement like "Jack has 2 balls" can be translated into algebra as "j = 2". Until students see algebra as a way of communicating ideas, they will always see it as meaningless mental torture.

One introductory strategy that seemed to work when I was a kid was asking students "which number goes into the square"? or "which number goes into the circle"? If they can handle that then they may transition easily from squares and circles to x's and y's.
Old 26th May 2018, 05:42 AM   #5
Zambo
Critical Thinker

I don't know what age this child is. But I like MPM Maths which is an enrichment programme that my boy enjoys.

https://mpmmath.us/6thgrade.html
Zambo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th May 2018, 09:48 PM   #6
Minoosh
Penultimate Amazing

There is an app called DragonBox which is a fun way to learn how to solve for a variable. I recommend the 12+ version, not 5+.

One of the all-around most useful skills is factoring.
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th May 2018, 11:13 PM   #7
BowlOfRed
Master Poster

Did some training with folks that were doing mentoring for middle school students that were having some difficulties in math. They said they found correlation of future math success on their ability to be comfortable with two core areas: negative numbers and fractions.

I haven't done any tutoring since then, but I'd start with making sure they're really well set in those areas before going on.
BowlOfRed is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th May 2018, 01:00 AM   #8
Minoosh
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by BowlOfRed View Post
Did some training with folks that were doing mentoring for middle school students that were having some difficulties in math. They said they found correlation of future math success on their ability to be comfortable with two core areas: negative numbers and fractions.

I haven't done any tutoring since then, but I'd start with making sure they're really well set in those areas before going on.
I've seen a lot of students grasp negative numbers pretty quickly but fractions bring many of them to a screeching halt. Some adults, too.

If they have a problem with calculating percentages, I have them calculate their shooting percentage with ping pong balls. If he is interested in sports, that can help connect the subject matter to something in his life. It's a good way to learn statistics and also football has negative numbers.

Properties of exponents would probably help. Sooner or later scientific notation crops up. Mean, median and mode as well.

Since the OP mentions failing the final, I wonder if test anxiety contributes to his struggles. It's a good idea to look at that test to figure out what he needs and also if there are any strengths to build on.

IXL Math is expensive but the company used to offer free trials.

Kahn Academy is good too, although it moves pretty fast.
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th May 2018, 01:08 AM   #9
Brainster
Penultimate Amazing

I've always felt that if you can find real world stuff to relate it to, it's more interesting. As it happens, I tutor college students in finance, so that part isn't an issue for me; usually the problems are real world.

It does sadden me sometimes to see some finance students struggling with basic algebra, because I can tell they have little or no chance of passing the course.

If you think that finance-type problems might interest him, I would be happy to supply some, but I would need to know the general concepts that you are trying to get across. Some finance problems of course are very complex, but others are actually quite simple--things like figuring the total cost of a video game including the sales tax, or reversing that--knowing the sales tax rate and the total price, what is the store keeping?
Brainster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th May 2018, 01:12 AM   #10
Minoosh
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Brainster View Post
I've always felt that if you can find real world stuff to relate it to, it's more interesting. As it happens, I tutor college students in finance, so that part isn't an issue for me; usually the problems are real world.
Teaching about compound interest is one of our state's standards, but rates are now so low that the benefits don't look very convincing.
Old 27th May 2018, 06:40 AM   #11
Loss Leader
I would save the receptionist.

Originally Posted by Brainster View Post

I filled in for a lawyer years ago for a class on junior college class on business law. I spent the entire hour talking about widgets and contractual performance - you order a million widgets and get 968.000, or you order blue widgets and you get white. What does substantial performance mean? At the end of the class, I asked if there were any questions. One student raised his hand and asked, "What's a widget?"

L. Leader
Loss Leader is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th May 2018, 03:26 PM   #12
marting
Illuminator

One way to stimulate an interest is learning something like casting out nines as a way to check arithmetic and catch about 90% of the errors people make. It's first presented as a "trick" and is most useful if the kid feels here's learning something special that others don't know.

Then going into why it works. This makes kids think. Key is to develop an interest in numbers and how they work beyond necessary memorization.
Old 28th May 2018, 03:28 PM   #13
marting
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Minoosh View Post
Teaching about compound interest is one of our state's standards, but rates are now so low that the benefits don't look very convincing.
Maybe try credit card interest that one pays. It's high enough to matter.
Old 28th May 2018, 06:06 PM   #14
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Loss Leader View Post
"What's a widget?"
I can answer that. It's a term used by people who are trying to sell something to engineers but know nothing about engineering. We engineers use it to weed them out.
Old 28th May 2018, 06:12 PM   #15
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator

I mentioned in my thread in FC (coincidentally on PEMDAS homework for my kid a couple of nights ago) that my son's class is working on the P-MDAS in the fourth grade. No unknowns, just series of functions that have to be performed in the correct order.

I see everywhere that Pre Algebra is considered a 7th grade topic. I think the system they're working with my son is more sensible. Teach them "order" and have it ingrained. Introduce variables and unknowns, one at a time, later. When I went to school the toughest things we were doing through the sixth grade were fractions, particularly multiplication and division of...

It's not the Thai school system. It's the international schools in the Thai system that have taken on Cambridge Math (the Cambridge English, otoh, is pretty cruddy and their science a little weak). I think teaching them basic processes and such from an earlier age is probably very helpful. Takes some of the fear factor out when they start seeing it three years later.

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th May 2018, 06:37 PM   #16
Minoosh
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by marting View Post
Maybe try credit card interest that one pays. It's high enough to matter.
That's a great idea.

My state has 2 years of algebra now and both levels at least touch on exponential functions. There's also "financial algebra," a class usually populated by seniors. Four years of HS math are required. I subbed recently in one of those classes and the assignment was basically applied arithmetic.

I'm conflicted on this; I don't want to perpetuate math phobia but the truth is most people do not need to know how to factor quadratic expressions. They can hold their phones over it and get the answer. There are a few who hunger for more complexity but they are definitely not the majority.
Old 28th May 2018, 06:43 PM   #17
Minoosh
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by psionl0 View Post
One introductory strategy that seemed to work when I was a kid was asking students "which number goes into the square"? or "which number goes into the circle"? If they can handle that then they may transition easily from squares and circles to x's and y's.
Here it's called the "missing addend" and yes, it's the exact same thing as using a variable and they can do it in 3rd grade. For some reason introducing letter variables throws some students.

Frequently heard, "I was good at math until they put the alphabet in it."
Old 28th May 2018, 06:49 PM   #18
fuelair
Banned

Khan Academy is free, online and works from K-12 plus a bit in most subjects. I strongly suggest it: https://www.khanacademy.org/

and, no, it really is free and I have seen no info that it sneaks your data for advertising or related.........
fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th May 2018, 07:07 PM   #19
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

I'm old and struggling with the concept of "pre-algebra". We had arithmetic through grade six then straight into algebra. Around 60 years ago.
So what is "pre-algebra"? Is it like "pre-pregnancy"? Or "pre-death"?

Then again, I recall we had something called "pre-calculus". I was sufficiently defficient in regular algebra that I wasn't qualified for it.
Old 28th May 2018, 07:14 PM   #20
fuelair
Banned

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
I'm old and struggling with the concept of "pre-algebra". We had arithmetic through grade six then straight into algebra. Around 60 years ago.

Then again, I recall we had something called "pre-calculus". I was sufficiently defficient in regular algebra that I wasn't qualified for it.
Because a non-small number of students have trouble with some of the new ways of doing math (which for me complicate it rather than make it easier) the big whigs have come up with way "interesting" ways to "simplify" and "help students" be "better" prepared. They do not. Also why I note Khan Academy as they do what works not what is currently en vogue.
fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th May 2018, 07:46 PM   #21
Sherman Bay
Master Poster

I don't understand "pre-algebra" either. Why not just start with equality and beginning algebra? My first algebra class got the primary concept down in about a week or less. How hard is it to explain "a=2" to an eighth grader?
Sherman Bay is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th May 2018, 12:34 AM   #22
Minoosh
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Sherman Bay View Post
I don't understand "pre-algebra" either. Why not just start with equality and beginning algebra? My first algebra class got the primary concept down in about a week or less. How hard is it to explain "a=2" to an eighth grader?
There is a resistance. I don't know exactly why. Textbooks I've used recently do tend to begin with the equality property and a few other properties that are needed as a foundation.

If you haven't been in a school lately you might not be aware that textbooks, at least in the places I've worked, do not exist. There might be a few leftover texts on the classroom shelf. In "Stand and Deliver," the actor Edward James Olmos, channeling famed math teacher Jaime Escalante, began his illustrious career by having students turn to a certain page in a textbook. Astonishingly, IMO, there are no class sets of textbooks, let alone a textbook for each student. Teachers then spend a lot of time reinventing the wheel.

The temptation is to try to cram knowledge into their heads efficiently - boot camp! - but it doesn't work that way with many students. They need to be doing math, not listening to explanations (though sometimes explanations are needed). It's a balancing act.

The Saxon textbooks for lower grades gave lessons in chunks the size of an index card with everything after that being practice, including reference, with page numbers, to earlier lessons. The high school algebra textbooks I have are so graphically busy (boxes, hints, fake highlighting, blurbs about famous mathematicians, photos etc.) that it's hard to focus on the kernel of knowledge leading into that day's practice.
Old 29th May 2018, 02:41 AM   #23
Lothian
should be banned

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
I think it is knowing the Greek alphabet.
Lothian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th May 2018, 09:33 AM   #24
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Lothian View Post
I think it is knowing the Greek alphabet.
I don't think I encountered the Greek alphabet until grade 10 geometry!
Old 29th May 2018, 11:33 AM   #25
SpitfireIX
Philosopher

I used to be a professional tutor in several subjects, including math, at the local campus of the state vocational-technical college. I've also tutored privately in several subjects from time to time.

I have to say that, in my experience, there are some people who, for whatever reason, are simply hopeless at any kind of abstract math. I've felt bad watching students beat their heads against basic algebra, or even pre-algebra, while feeling quite certain that I couldn't get them to pass even if both of our lives depended on it.

I'm not sure what the answer is for people like that; if they're in a program that clearly requires some level of mathematical education, they should probably be encouraged to try something else. But if it's something like nursing, where they'll probably never use algebra, that's a tougher question.
Old 29th May 2018, 06:43 PM   #26
fuelair
Banned

Originally Posted by Minoosh View Post
There is a resistance. I don't know exactly why. Textbooks I've used recently do tend to begin with the equality property and a few other properties that are needed as a foundation.

If you haven't been in a school lately you might not be aware that textbooks, at least in the places I've worked, do not exist. There might be a few leftover texts on the classroom shelf. In "Stand and Deliver," the actor Edward James Olmos, channeling famed math teacher Jaime Escalante, began his illustrious career by having students turn to a certain page in a textbook. Astonishingly, IMO, there are no class sets of textbooks, let alone a textbook for each student. Teachers then spend a lot of time reinventing the wheel.

The temptation is to try to cram knowledge into their heads efficiently - boot camp! - but it doesn't work that way with many students. They need to be doing math, not listening to explanations (though sometimes explanations are needed). It's a balancing act.

The Saxon textbooks for lower grades gave lessons in chunks the size of an index card with everything after that being practice, including reference, with page numbers, to earlier lessons. The high school algebra textbooks I have are so graphically busy (boxes, hints, fake highlighting, blurbs about famous mathematicians, photos etc.) that it's hard to focus on the kernel of knowledge leading into that day's practice.
In school, I liked textbooks that had such extras as it was informational and less boring than watching the teacher demonstrating the working out of problem types. Also, I could spend my time gained by getting the assigned done quickly after which I could deface the books by altering pictures and texts in amusing and interesting ways. Half of one year my American history book got Martian War machines (the tripod version) popping up in all sorts of places, at least one sub torpedoing targets on the Potomac, a flying saucer crashed into the Capitol building (I trust we all know which movie that was.....) and many others. That was also the year we had to read Silas Marner (it was in the lit book) in which I just added one very like the print in the rest of the story letter to the phrase " .....eating his Christmas meat."
I do all the courtesy of assuming you know which letter.
Old 1st June 2018, 08:59 PM   #27
Minoosh
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by fuelair View Post
In school, I liked textbooks that had such extras as it was informational and less boring than watching the teacher demonstrating the working out of problem types.
Remember the torture of understanding something perfectly well, while listening to the teacher go over 10 examples?

That was also the year we had to read Silas Marner (it was in the lit book) in which I just added one very like the print in the rest of the story letter to the phrase " .....eating his Christmas meat."
I do all the courtesy of assuming you know which letter.
I hope no one had to use that textbook after you ... and had to read out loud!

Now here is something I'm seriously conflicted on: Making kids read out loud. It's obviously torture for some students and as I recall from being a student it was painful to listen to as well.

About 40 years after the fact I finally understood what "Dick and Jane" was actually for. There was an ideological battle between phonics- and non-phonics-based reading. You were supposed to learn "sight words" and not rely on phonics. See. Spot. Run.

In education reform they often throw out the baby and keep the bathwater.
Old 1st June 2018, 09:15 PM   #28
novaphile
Quester of Doglets

Originally Posted by Foolmewunz View Post
I mentioned in my thread in FC (coincidentally on PEMDAS homework for my kid a couple of nights ago)...
I had to look this up, but was halfway there by context...

It was BODMAS when I went to school.

(Brackets, Orders, Division, Multiplication, Addition, Subtraction)

I wonder why Division and Multiplication have been reversed?

PEDMAS sounds like every church service I've ever attended, maybe that was why (negative connotations)...
Old 2nd June 2018, 01:24 AM   #29
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator

Originally Posted by novaphile View Post
I had to look this up, but was halfway there by context...

It was BODMAS when I went to school.

(Brackets, Orders, Division, Multiplication, Addition, Subtraction)

PEDMAS sounds like every church service I've ever attended, maybe that was why (negative connotations)...
In a running statement I think it doesn't matter (if not bracketed) if you perform the multiplication or division first. You probably had a similar reason for BODMAS... Bomdas definitely sounds like the results of a kegger. Bodmas, not so bad, comparably.

ETA: Wait, that makes no sense. Of course there's s difference.

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.

Last edited by Foolmewunz; 2nd June 2018 at 01:28 AM.
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd June 2018, 01:57 AM   #30
Cabbage
Banned

Originally Posted by novaphile View Post
I don't think it's intended to be read that way. I often stress to my students that you should think of the order as PE(MD)(AS) (or BO(DM)(AS)) since division is just special multiplication (by a reciprocal) and subtraction is just special addition (of a negative). So (M and D) have the same level of precedence, as do (A and S)--which letter of the pair is listed first is purely incidental.
Cabbage is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th June 2018, 06:25 PM   #31
mgidm86
Philosopher

"Outside of box" maybe a bit too much, but I use algebra (and I always sucked at math) in programming.

In fact I learned more about math writing programs than I ever did in school (and I was still in high school at the time). I hated school though, maybe this kid doesn't.

With programming you build an equation and actually see results on the screen. Say in a simple game. You can adjust variable values and see them applied - how they actually work together and do something.

It's very satisfying seeing something like that on screen in any form rather than a teacher just saying, "that is correct". You understand why it is or isn't correct.

That may be beyond what either of you can do but it's just a thought.

Last edited by mgidm86; 6th June 2018 at 06:27 PM.
mgidm86 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th June 2018, 06:34 PM   #32
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena
Pronouns: he/him

Khan Academy is free, online and works from K-12 plus a bit in most subjects. I strongly suggest it: https://www.khanacademy.org/

and, no, it really is free and I have seen no info that it sneaks your data for advertising or related.........
I've seen a couple of interviews with Sal Khan and he appears to have a genuinely altruistic motive.

Three Word Story Wisdom
arthwollipot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Education