IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Brilliant Light Power , free energy , Randell Mills

Closed Thread
Old 25th May 2018, 01:54 PM   #161
markie
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by LTC8K6 View Post
Next you'll tell us you didn't realize what businesswire is or what a PR firm does.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hill%2...ton_Strategies

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Business_Wire

Filtering your own self-congratulatory press releases through PR firms isn't going to fool many people.

It does apparently fool enough people to keep money coming in, though.
Self congratulations was not the point. The point is that the various people involved at Rowan, who performed experiments at Rowan over some years, were willing to stand behind their work in a press release. Simple as that.

It's fascinating that supposedly rational skeptics here are entertaining a wider and wilder web of conspiracy theory involving an increasing number of people in an increasingly fantastical scam over time.

The rational alternative is that a genius has been running a company that has been making incremental and substantive progress for twenty five years in pure and applied physical and chemical research, and is soon to emerge from a largely ignored backwater eddy of results to appear as a tsunami in the science and technology sector.

Neither is there a conspiracy against Mills to thwart his work. Again, how interesting that supposedly rational skeptics here are projecting such a mindset to Mills supporters. No, other than one or two people inappropriately using their influence in the patent office over a decade ago there has been nothing nefarious going on to hinder Mills work that I am aware of. Just the usual human responses of indifference, incredulity, deference to authority, and falling into the somewhat darker 'reputation trap.'

From https://aeon.co/essays/why-do-scient...of-cold-fusion

Quote:
Again, there’s a sociological explanation why few people are willing to look at the evidence. They put their reputations at risk by doing so. Cold fusion is tainted, and the taint is contagious – anyone seen to take it seriously risks contamination. So the subject is stuck in a place that is largely inaccessible to reason – a reputation trap, we might call it. People outside the trap won’t go near it, for fear of falling in. ‘If there is something scientists fear, it is to become like pariahs,’ as Lundin puts it. People inside the trap are already regarded as disreputable, an attitude that trumps any efforts that they might make to argue their way out, by reason and evidence.
markie is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 25th May 2018, 02:53 PM   #162
Dancing David
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by markie View Post
Self congratulations was not the point. ....o the somewhat darker 'reputation trap.'

From https://aeon.co/essays/why-do-scient...of-cold-fusion
for all that you can't provide conclusive evidence yet that it works and is more than just some ballyhoo to raise publicity.
Never underestimate the power of the Random Number God. More of evolutionary history is His doing than people think. - Dinwar
Dancing David is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 25th May 2018, 02:56 PM   #163
jrhowell
Muse

It's fascinating that supposedly rational skeptics here are entertaining a wider and wilder web of conspiracy theory involving an increasing number of people in an increasingly fantastical scam over time.
No vast conspiracy. I'd say a small group of grifters surrounded by some who are willing to sell out and others who are hopeful but clueless.

The rational alternative is that a genius has been running a company that has been making incremental and substantive progress for twenty five years in pure and applied physical and chemical research, and is soon to emerge from a largely ignored backwater eddy of results to appear as a tsunami in the science and technology sector.
The key word in all of that is "soon". (Free beer tomorrow!)
jrhowell is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 25th May 2018, 03:53 PM   #164
Hans
Philosopher

Originally Posted by halleyscomet View Post
If hes not in on it, then he's the single must gullible and easily manipulated man on the planet. He'd have to be dumber than his investors!
Yes considering he has demonstrated clearly that he imagines he's some sort of great scientist - and isn't - I wouldn't put anything past him!
Hans is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 25th May 2018, 03:55 PM   #165
Hans
Philosopher

S

It's fascinating that supposedly rational skeptics here are entertaining a wider and wilder .....
It's fascinating that a supposedly rational person is entertaining the idea that Mills is not a scammer despite thirty years of hard solid evidence that he is.

Odd isn't it?

lol
Hans is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 25th May 2018, 03:57 PM   #166
Hans
Philosopher

Originally Posted by jrhowell View Post
No vast conspiracy. I'd say a small group of grifters surrounded by some who are willing to sell out and others who are hopeful but clueless.

The key word in all of that is "soon". (Free beer tomorrow!)
....while at the same time constantly changing his company's name and every two years or so saying he's ready to go and using essentially the same template to accomplish...........nothing.
Old 25th May 2018, 04:37 PM   #167
RecoveringYuppy
Penultimate Amazing

Markie: When is Mills going to commercialize his cure for cancer that he had back in 1988?
RecoveringYuppy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 25th May 2018, 05:05 PM   #168
halleyscomet
Penultimate Amazing

Kid,

We eat tinfoil hatters for breakfast.

Your lame-ass attempt to make legitimate criticism of a small but effective con operation look like a conspiracy theory is adorable, but ultimately only reflects badly on you. In the end, you are admitting that you don't HAVE any independent verification to offer, just press releases and paid demonstrations you repackage.

30 years on and despite DECADES of promises that a device is just a few months away, Mills is still producing noting. There are only two kinds of people who take Mills seriously:

1. Con men who are in on the con. (Probably a small number, all of whom are on his payroll.)

2. Scientifically illiterate morons who are being fleeced because they don't know enough about science to see Mills for what he is.
halleyscomet is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 25th May 2018, 05:36 PM   #169
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

I've not followed the thread closely, but can you use it to power an EmDrive?
Old 25th May 2018, 05:58 PM   #170
Horatius
NWO Kitty Wrangler

Originally Posted by Hans View Post
....while at the same time constantly changing his company's name and every two years or so saying he's ready to go and using essentially the same template to accomplish...........nothing.

Not to mention an ongoing history of deleting as much of his earlier claims as he can, making it harder for anyone new to his scam to find out about it.

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post

Sorry, no, the Quantum Confabulator destabilizes the Double-Reverse Momentum Denyalator.
Old 26th May 2018, 01:47 AM   #171
wollery
Protected by Samurai Hedgehogs!

Self congratulations was not the point. The point is that the various people involved at Rowan, who performed experiments at Rowan over some years, were willing to stand behind their work in a press release. Simple as that.

But not, apparently, to publish their results in a high impact peer reviewed journal, which (if they're accurate) is what their work deserves.

"Just think how stupid the average person is, and then realize that half of them are even stupider!" --George Carlin
wollery is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th May 2018, 02:16 AM   #172
BillC
Bazooka Joe

It's been a few months I think, so time for me to check in to this thread again and ask my recurring question.

So, when can I get my BLP Free Energy Generator? I was led to believe they would be heading to market soon.
BillC is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th May 2018, 02:17 AM   #173
BillC
Bazooka Joe

You couldn't use it to drive an Em Space.
BillC is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th May 2018, 02:58 AM   #174
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

That is an incredibly apt comparison for this claim, it that shows that even when preliminary results would invalidate one of the bedrocks of science because other independent scientists can apparently replicate in part those results serious scientists and engineers got behind it. If Mills had been able to deliver anything that others could replicate over the past 30 years no matter how paradigm shifting others would have tried to replicate it.

He didn't, they didn't.
If only it were all so simple! If only there were evil people somewhere insidiously committing evil deeds, and it were necessary only to separate them from the rest of us and destroy them. But the line dividing good and evil cuts through the heart of every human being. And who is willing to destroy a piece of his own heart?” Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn, The Gulag Archipelago
Darat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th May 2018, 03:44 AM   #175
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

I think Mills might have missed the boat - these guys seem to have it cracked. It's easier to donate to them, too.
Old 26th May 2018, 04:31 AM   #176
Mike!
Official Ponylandistanian National Treasure. Respect it!

Location: Ponylandistan! Where the bacon grows on trees! Can it get any better than that? I submit it can not!
Originally Posted by Squeegee Beckenheim View Post
I think Mills might have missed the boat - these guys seem to have it cracked. It's easier to donate to them, too.
His duct tape tool box and yard sale lamp are very impressive indeed.
Old 26th May 2018, 04:36 AM   #177
W.D.Clinger
Philosopher

markie is talking about the genius who has been unable to devise a practical technology for converting thermal energy into electricity.

Before Mills can do that, he has to invent a practical time machine that will transport him back to the late 18th century, when James Watt and Matthew Boulton developed the Boulton and Watt steam engine. Mills will also have to transport himself to the 19th century, when several inventors, building on fundamental research by Michael Faraday, developed the dynamo.

After announcing his success with time travel, Mills will then report that further progress must await a time machine that will allow him to visit the 18th and 19th centuries simultaneously.
W.D.Clinger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th May 2018, 05:35 AM   #178
Hlafordlaes
Disorder of Kilopi

... It's fascinating that... [/url]
... crank science attempts to sway lay people in the wrong venues in order to find support, and in so doing confesses to its true nature, meaning, falsehood. That and some hot metal will irony your shirts in a jiffy!
Old 26th May 2018, 06:37 AM   #179
Andy_Ross
Penultimate Amazing

Seems legit!
Andy_Ross is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th May 2018, 07:23 AM   #180
Lukraak_Sisser
Philosopher

To be fair, there is one tangible effect Mills has shown.

He is capable of making money vanish no matter what project he starts.
He has a sort of anti-dollar field.
Lukraak_Sisser is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th May 2018, 10:17 AM   #181
halleyscomet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Lukraak_Sisser View Post
To be fair, there is one tangible effect Mills has shown.

He is capable of making money vanish no matter what project he starts.
He has a sort of anti-dollar field.

His version of the con has lasted a good 30 years, while it looks like Theranos won’t make it to 20.

It’s all about reach. Mills is keeping just far enough under the radar that he’s not attracting regulatory attention. He’s also only hitting corporations for small values, making court cases to go after him more expensive than the funds that could be recovered.
halleyscomet is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th May 2018, 02:23 PM   #182
Hans
Philosopher

Originally Posted by W.D.Clinger View Post
markie is talking about the genius who has been unable to devise a practical technology for converting thermal energy into electricity.

Before Mills can do that, he has to invent a practical time machine that will transport him back to the late 18th century, when James Watt and Matthew Boulton developed the Boulton and Watt steam engine. Mills will also have to transport himself to the 19th century, when several inventors, building on fundamental research by Michael Faraday, developed the dynamo.

After announcing his success with time travel, Mills will then report that further progress must await a time machine that will allow him to visit the 18th and 19th centuries simultaneously.
Hahaha yes probably but ....

Lets not forget the Pyreolophore: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pyr%C3%A9olophore
Old 26th May 2018, 02:26 PM   #183
Hans
Philosopher

Originally Posted by BillC View Post
It's been a few months I think, so time for me to check in to this thread again and ask my recurring question.

So, when can I get my BLP Free Energy Generator? I was led to believe they would be heading to market soon.
SOON, Soon, soon ask markie it's just around the corner the 30 year wait will be over in - I'm sure - in less than a short-century, maybe.
Old 26th May 2018, 02:28 PM   #184
Hans
Philosopher

No but you can take all the papers, USDs, patents and propaganda from Mills and his shills and feed it to a goat to get milk, cheese and meat.
Old 26th May 2018, 07:10 PM   #185
markie
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Hans View Post
SOON, Soon, soon ask markie it's just around the corner the 30 year wait will be over in - I'm sure - in less than a short-century, maybe.
February 26 2019 is still on my calendar as the date by which Mills will have demonstrated a closed Suncell prototype showing excess energy generation for a reasonable amount of time. Given the substantive direction changes in the design I'm not as confident as before that my timeline will be met. But in the end it will be worth it.

Mills has achieved excess energy - sometimes for months - with earlier cells over the last 20 years, but bluntly put they were not good enough for the marketplace.
markie is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th May 2018, 07:30 PM   #186
Kid Eager
Philosopher

February 26 2019 is still on my calendar as the date by which Mills will have demonstrated a closed Suncell prototype showing excess energy generation for a reasonable amount of time. Given the substantive direction changes in the design I'm not as confident as before that my timeline will be met. But in the end it will be worth it.

Mills has achieved excess energy - sometimes for months - with earlier cells over the last 20 years, but bluntly put they were not good enough for the marketplace.
This is the best comedy thread ever!
Old 26th May 2018, 08:19 PM   #187
Myriad
The Clarity Is Devastating

A pumpkin left to rot on your front porch will also achieve excess energy for months.

Interestingly, rotting pumpkins are also not good enough for the marketplace.

Obviously the problem is the marketplace! We need a better marketplace, one that offers money for rotting pumpkins and SunCells and all other worthless crap!
Old 27th May 2018, 01:44 AM   #188
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

February 26 2019 is still on my calendar as the date by which Mills will have demonstrated a closed Suncell prototype showing excess energy generation for a reasonable amount of time.
How are you defining "demonstrated" here? What criteria will he have to fulfil in order for you to consider that he has demonstrated what you want him to?

Quote:
Given the substantive direction changes in the design I'm not as confident as before that my timeline will be met.
Whereas I think everybody else who has posted in this thread in the last year is as confident as before that your timeline will not be met.

Quote:
Which leads to the question of why he claimed they were, and what makes you think his claims are so very different this time.
Old 27th May 2018, 02:14 AM   #189
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

Mills abandoned that years ago. Is it back in play?
?

...love and buttercakes...
abaddon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 27th May 2018, 05:11 AM   #190
markie
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Myriad View Post
A pumpkin left to rot on your front porch will also achieve excess energy for months.

Interestingly, rotting pumpkins are also not good enough for the marketplace.

Obviously the problem is the marketplace! We need a better marketplace, one that offers money for rotting pumpkins and SunCells and all other worthless crap!
Not much wrong with the marketplace, which usually destroys any crap that appears.
Old 27th May 2018, 05:12 AM   #191
Lukraak_Sisser
Philosopher

Can you give us a bit of a hint as to what excuse you will make up when he fails to deliver anything tangible by that date?
Again?
Like every other promise he has ever made?
Lukraak_Sisser is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 27th May 2018, 05:28 AM   #192
markie
Graduate Poster

How are you defining "demonstrated" here? What criteria will he have to fulfil in order for you to consider that he has demonstrated what you want him to?
Mills has demonstrated many hydrino reaction environments over the years. None has met the threshold of achieving true prototype status, meaning something that could be seriously considered as a preproduction model for the marketplace.
In all cases but one before the Suncell they did not have sufficient power density to make it worthwhile. Big size, low power. In one case they had the power density but the reactants could not be reliably recycled, so the reaction could not be sustained for a reasonable length of time.

Quote:
Which leads to the question of why he claimed they were, and what makes you think his claims are so very different this time.
This time they have the power density and, presumably, long term running capacity. A true test of the latter still awaits a closed system. They've had it running for half and hour at high power, but the system was not closed; silver vapour was actively vented out until the molten silver ran dry as I understand it.
Old 27th May 2018, 05:33 AM   #193
markie
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Lukraak_Sisser View Post
Can you give us a bit of a hint as to what excuse you will make up when he fails to deliver anything tangible by that date?
Again?
Like every other promise he has ever made?
If there's a serious roadblock Mills will let his fan base know. As of now, he doesn't see one.
Old 27th May 2018, 05:41 AM   #194
WhatRoughBeast
Graduate Poster

In all cases but one before the Suncell they did not have sufficient power density to make it worthwhile. Big size, low power.
Markie - while your dogged loyalty to Mills is in some respects admirable, this is insulting. Don't you remember the inter-digitating gear wheels with the high-current fuel reactions and the MHD power system? 1 MW in a 1 meter cube? Just a few years ago? Ring any bells?

Perhaps not. Mills has followed his Orwellian use of the Memory Hole, and there is no record of those claims.

Convenient, no?
WhatRoughBeast is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 27th May 2018, 05:43 AM   #195
The Man
Unbanned zombie poster

Wait what?!?! "closed Suncell prototype"?!?! Ain't the "Advanced SunCell® Design" supposed to "operate in air, no sealed chamber required"?

Quote:
We shifted priorities to an advanced design that solved the flaws.
We also adopted the use low-melting-point metals to eliminate the
heating challenges to rapidly test new systems using simple
mechanical pumps.
Quote:

2018 Program Goals

• We have been focused on a much more advanced design
that has the capacity to generate arbitrarily high power
with much less complex systems that should have a
significant impact on the time to commercialization.
and

Quote:
2018 Program Goals Cont’d
Advanced SunCell® Design Advantages • All-ceramic SunCell® reactor that can operate in air, no sealed chamber required,
standard materials and seals,...

9 months invested in an already outdated design that, just by their own assertions, they have not "been focused on" and explicitly "shifted priorities" away from. Seems Mills wastes more energy than he could ever generate.
Old 27th May 2018, 05:49 AM   #196
Lukraak_Sisser
Philosopher

Mills has demonstrated many hydrino reaction environments over the years. None has met the threshold of achieving true prototype status, meaning something that could be seriously considered as a preproduction model for the marketplace.
In all cases but one before the Suncell they did not have sufficient power density to make it worthwhile. Big size, low power. In one case they had the power density but the reactants could not be reliably recycled, so the reaction could not be sustained for a reasonable length of time.

This time they have the power density and, presumably, long term running capacity. A true test of the latter still awaits a closed system. They've had it running for half and hour at high power, but the system was not closed; silver vapour was actively vented out until the molten silver ran dry as I understand it.
Do you have any idea how utterly stupid the highlighted bit sounds?
Silver melts at 1235 K, it boils at 2435 K. That is about 1200 K in difference.

So, either Mills is incapable of looking up basic physics facts (largely proven by his many 'theories') and thus uses FAR to much power to start his so-called machine, OR his machine produces power in massive excess which he then has failed to in any way capitalize on. Now he has also shown not to know how to turn heat into power, so this would also utter incompetence.

So no matter how you look at him, the man is an incompetent in anything to do with engineering.
Old 27th May 2018, 06:00 AM   #197
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

Mills has demonstrated many hydrino reaction environments over the years.
Nope.

]None has met the threshold of achieving true prototype status, meaning something that could be seriously considered as a preproduction model for the marketplace.
So when Mills claimed he had such again and again and again, he was lying?

so no, mills has nothing. OK.

This time? As opposed to all the other times?

...love and buttercakes...
abaddon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 27th May 2018, 06:15 AM   #198
Myriad
The Clarity Is Devastating

I'd like to see the photograph of the laboratory surroundings, all coated in condensed silver vapor. That would be something to see.

I suspect, though, that no such photographs exist, because all the evaporated silver actually re-condensed at the local WE BUY GOLD AND SILVER shop.
Old 27th May 2018, 08:36 AM   #199
markie
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by WhatRoughBeast View Post
Markie - while your dogged loyalty to Mills is in some respects admirable, this is insulting. Don't you remember the inter-digitating gear wheels with the high-current fuel reactions and the MHD power system? 1 MW in a 1 meter cube? Just a few years ago? Ring any bells?

Perhaps not. Mills has followed his Orwellian use of the Memory Hole, and there is no record of those claims.

Convenient, no?
Of course I remember the interdigitating gears. That was really the first iteration of the SunCell concept - which involved exploding metal hydrate pellets or slurry on the rotating gear mechanism which carried the high electrical current. It's all still on Youtube. There was no MHD involved then however.

The SunCell environment and mechanism has come a long way since then. Much more elegant.
Old 27th May 2018, 08:39 AM   #200
ferd burfle
Graduate Poster

Not much wrong with the marketplace, which usually destroys any crap that appears.

Since no Mills product will ever see the marketplace, no worries.

Oh, and the folks who write computer code called to say they own the rights to the phrase Real Soon NowTM

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology