IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Economics, Business and Finance

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags bitcoin

Closed Thread
Old 13th September 2014, 03:58 PM   #81
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
Yeah but you can convert them to calories which (unfortunately) tend to stick around for decades.
Another good reason to prefer raw sewerage bitcoins over hot dogs.
Old 13th September 2014, 06:16 PM   #82
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by psionl0 View Post
Another good reason to prefer raw sewerage bitcoins over hot dogs.
I don't know. Often times we speculatory things like BTC you end up sticking with them, hoping they reach some mythical value at some point, only to see them crash and become valueless, much like calories.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 14th September 2014, 06:29 AM   #83
TeapotCavalry
Master Poster

I don't know. Often times we speculatory things like BTC you end up sticking with them, hoping they reach some mythical value at some point, only to see them crash and become valueless, much like calories.
Well, if you're into resistance training, calories reach almost a mythical value for they are necessary to maintain your awesome beachbro sixpack and biceps. If you just sit on them, then they sure become less useful.
Old 17th September 2014, 12:55 AM   #84
Octavo
Illuminator

Originally Posted by jhunter1163 View Post
And I'll make an avatar bet that Coinbase is hacked before the end of the year. It's just too tempting a target for the scammers..
The bet is that Coinbase.com will be hacked (and bitcoins stolen) somewhere between September 2014 and 1 January 2015. The breech must be significant enough to be covered by major media outlets.

If you agree to those terms, I'll take that bet.
Octavo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 17th September 2014, 04:12 AM   #85
jhunter1163
beer-swilling semiliterate

Location: Connecticut, or King Arthur's Court. Hard to tell sometimes.
Originally Posted by Octavo View Post
The bet is that Coinbase.com will be hacked (and bitcoins stolen) somewhere between September 2014 and 1 January 2015. The breech must be significant enough to be covered by major media outlets.

If you agree to those terms, I'll take that bet.
Since any breach would probably make the news, I'll agree. I'll sport the avatar of your choice for a week should that not happen.
jhunter1163 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 17th September 2014, 06:02 AM   #86
Octavo
Illuminator

Since any breach would probably make the news, I'll agree. I'll sport the avatar of your choice for a week should that not happen.
Excellent - my very first avatar bet!
Octavo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 18th September 2014, 11:41 AM   #87
Belz...
Fiend God

Down to 421 right now.

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 21st September 2014, 02:40 PM   #88
jhunter1163

An even $400 now.

www.preev.com
jhunter1163 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 23rd September 2014, 11:35 AM   #89
EGarrett
Illuminator

More news about the "death of Bitcoin:"

In a blog post penned by senior director of corporate strategy Scott Ellison, PayPal revealed that online merchants will now be able to accept bitcoin via all three companies through its PayPal Payments Hub, its product that enables its customers to accept credit card, mobile carrier payments and other payment methods through a single integration.

Ellison lauded BitPay, Coinbase and GoCoin for their commitment to ensuring consumer protections on their platforms, while suggesting that the offering will appeal to a number of its key customer groups, writing:

“We believe digital goods merchants will be excited to work with these industry-leading companies to sell ringtones, games and music and get paid with bitcoin.”

And...

...Credit card companies and other traditional payment providers usually charge nonprofits the same as commercial organisations, about 3–4% per transaction.

Bitcoin, though, offers significant savings for charities by doing away with these fees.

Bitcoin’s cost benefit

BitPay and other payment providers like Coinbase do not charge fees for nonprofits, meaning the entire donation is delivered to the charity.

BitPay non-profit account manager Elizabeth Ploshay said the company strives to bring bitcoin to nonprofits like Greenpeace.

“For each bitcoin donation, Greenpeace gets 100% of what is being donated, increasing the amount of each donation received,” she said.

The bolded:

is essentially what I said in post 60:

and in the previous thread at #4684:

and in the previous thread at #4409:

I'm not really sure where you get the idea that I think BTC is inherently bad. It's not a good investment, it's not a good currency, and over the long haul I think it's going to be either legislated out of existence or crushed by competition, but the tech is not going to magically disappear. There is clearly a market for a secure and anonymous store of value, and some bank (or banks) will service that market.
Are you accountable for your past behavior and your provably wrong predictions? Yes or no?

...and this does not mean that your behavior or what you and others have said won't be brought up again if you try to handwave this away or not answer.
Old 23rd September 2014, 11:45 AM   #90
EGarrett
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Octavo View Post
Excellent - my very first avatar bet!
He appears to be the only Bitcoin-Doom-Prognosticator left in this topic over time. In the last few years, the others, nearly to a man, have embarrassed themselves and disappeared completely. Look at the person in my sig.

Jhunter is only sticking around by trying to ignore his own past claims. I wouldn't take any bet with someone who has a selective memory like that.
Old 23rd September 2014, 12:51 PM   #91
jhunter1163

Originally Posted by EGarrett View Post
Are you accountable for your past behavior and your provably wrong predictions? Yes or no?

...and this does not mean that your behavior or what you and others have said won't be brought up again if you try to handwave this away or not answer.
As I've said, I stand by every statement I've made in this thread. I'm not sure how much more "accountable" I can be. If I've made "provably wrong" predictions, then I've been wrong; it wouldn't be the first time and won't be the last. However, I still think that BTC is destined for the memory hole over the long term; the only real question is how long it will take for it to die.

And, as an aside, I would suggest that you moderate your tone a bit. Just sayin'.
Old 23rd September 2014, 10:11 PM   #92
Octavo
Illuminator

He appears to be the only Bitcoin-Doom-Prognosticator left in this topic over time. In the last few years, the others, nearly to a man, have embarrassed themselves and disappeared completely. Look at the person in my sig.
The scrut quote is particularly amusing I have to say

Jhunter is only sticking around by trying to ignore his own past claims. I wouldn't take any bet with someone who has a selective memory like that.
I hear your frustration, but you're being uncharitable here.

As I've said, I stand by every statement I've made in this thread. I'm not sure how much more "accountable" I can be. If I've made "provably wrong" predictions, then I've been wrong; it wouldn't be the first time and won't be the last. However, I still think that BTC is destined for the memory hole over the long term; the only real question is how long it will take for it to die.
That's kind of weaselly though. If I claimed the telegraph was destined for the memory hole in 1837 I'd be right eventually too.
Old 24th September 2014, 08:00 AM   #93
Almo
Masterblazer

Bitcoin doesn't work well as a currency, as has been explained. Perhaps it will eventually, but it doesn't now.
"It may be that there is no body really at rest, to which the places and motions of others may be referred." –Issac Newton in the Principia
Almo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 24th September 2014, 09:12 AM   #94
Donal
Philosopher

I don't think Bitcoin itself will ever gain wide acceptance as a currency. However, I do see cryptocurrency becoming widely accepted, provided some central banking institution is behind it.
Donal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 24th September 2014, 11:01 AM   #95
Brian-M
Daydreamer

Originally Posted by Donal View Post
I don't think Bitcoin itself will ever gain wide acceptance as a currency. However, I do see cryptocurrency becoming widely accepted, provided some central banking institution is behind it.
If some central banking institution were behind it there would be no point in having a cryptocurrency at all. Encrypted transactions of funds between accounts containing non-cryptographic currencies would be a far more efficient way to do thing.

The entire point of cryptocurrencies is that they're decentralized and function independently of governments, corporations, banks and financial institutions.

But I agree that Bitcoin is far from ideal as a practical currency, which is why some other cryptocurrencies, such as Litecoin, were invented. Eventually some non-Bitcoin cryptocurrency will become more ubiquitous than Bitcoin, or maybe the Bitcoin protocols will gradually change.

Last edited by Brian-M; 24th September 2014 at 11:03 AM.
Brian-M is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 25th September 2014, 07:45 AM   #96
Donal
Philosopher

You're going to need some large institution backing the currency and making plans in case there is rapid inflation or deflation.
Donal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 25th September 2014, 12:18 PM   #97
Tippit

You're going to need some large institution backing the currency and making plans in case there is rapid inflation or deflation.
Or, you could just have a free market in money, without the theft masquerading as central planning. I know. Perish the thought.
Tippit is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 25th September 2014, 02:55 PM   #98
Belz...
Fiend God

How free do you see this market, exactly ?

Old 25th September 2014, 04:48 PM   #99
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

Why?
Old 26th September 2014, 01:07 AM   #100
Tolls
Philosopher

Why?
Well, at least as things stand, there's still an awful lot of people who view it with suspicion and more who see it as a novelty. Neither of which help it as a currency.

Even the companies that accept bitcoins seem to only be doing so with a view to having it turned into "real" money ASAP, hence not risking losing out.

Not that a currency needs the backing of a large institution, but I do think (and this thread has plenty of examples in the form of posters) that it's the current perception of the public in general that bitcoin and the like are a bit too Wild West for their comfort.

It'll be interesting to see how it develops and whether the perception of the general population changes towards it.
I mean, after last years roller coaster I'm quite surprised by the relative stability its shown recently. I was expecting more of the same...so I'm not going to make any predictions, that's for sure.
Tolls is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th September 2014, 02:42 AM   #101
AdMan
Penultimate Amazing

Is anonymity still an important characteristic of Bitcoin, and if so how does that fit in with it being behind a central banking institution?
Old 26th September 2014, 02:48 AM   #102
stevea
Master Poster

Just curious - does anyone here actual hold much in bitcoin ? I mean serious savings amount and not just a few $k ?

I have a feeling that BTC is more interesting to talk about than it is practical to use.

I've never used it.
stevea is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th September 2014, 03:24 AM   #103
Brian-M
Daydreamer

Originally Posted by stevea View Post
Just curious - does anyone here actual hold much in bitcoin ? I mean serious savings amount and not just a few $k ?

No, but here's my two cents: https://blockchain.info/address/1F6C...jibzgrANCmqQR1

Heh. I've been waiting a while to make that pun. At the moment, two cents of Bitcoin comes to around eight US dollars.
Old 26th September 2014, 12:42 PM   #104
Tippit

Originally Posted by stevea View Post

I have a feeling that BTC is more interesting to talk about than it is practical to use.

I've never used it.
I have a friend who has about 35,000 BTC. When it was trading higher than an ounce of gold, it was a serious chunk of change.
Tippit is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th September 2014, 06:49 PM   #105
Brian-M
Daydreamer

Originally Posted by Tippit View Post
I have a friend who has about 35,000 BTC. When it was trading higher than an ounce of gold, it was a serious chunk of change.
So now that the value of his bitcoins has gone down to $14 million US dollars, that's not a serious chunk of change?
Old 27th September 2014, 06:29 AM   #106
jhunter1163

Originally Posted by Brian-M View Post
So now that the value of his bitcoins has gone down to $14 million US dollars, that's not a serious chunk of change?
The "value" of his BTC isn't anything close to $14 million. There's no way he could get anything approaching that much money out of them, unless he accepts hacked Starbucks cards.
Old 27th September 2014, 08:13 AM   #107
Brian-M
Daydreamer

The "value" of his BTC isn't anything close to $14 million. There's no way he could get anything approaching that much money out of them, unless he accepts hacked Starbucks cards.

Why couldn't he sell them on an exchange? Take a look at this volume chart...

https://bitcoinaverage.com/charts#USD-volumes-1m

Most days see more than 10,000 bitcoins traded for USD, sometimes more than 30,000 bitcoins. The 30th of August saw more than 70,000 bitcoins traded for USD in a single day.

Although, that's the combined volume for a whole bunch of different exchanges, but there shouldn't be a problem if he gradually sells them off in a couple of different exchanges over several months.

Hell, if he's willing to sell them cheap to get some quick cash he shouldn't have a problem. Take a look at this market depth chart for the Bitstamp exchange...

http://bitcoincharts.com/markets/bitstampUSD_depth.html

From what I see, if he's willing to accept $340 for them, he could sell 10,000 bitcoins straight away for an instant $3.4 million, and still have 25,000 bitcoins left.

Last edited by Brian-M; 27th September 2014 at 08:14 AM.
Brian-M is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 27th September 2014, 02:07 PM   #108
jhunter1163

Why couldn't he sell them on an exchange? Take a look at this volume chart...

https://bitcoinaverage.com/charts#USD-volumes-1m

Most days see more than 10,000 bitcoins traded for USD, sometimes more than 30,000 bitcoins. The 30th of August saw more than 70,000 bitcoins traded for USD in a single day.

Although, that's the combined volume for a whole bunch of different exchanges, but there shouldn't be a problem if he gradually sells them off in a couple of different exchanges over several months.

Hell, if he's willing to sell them cheap to get some quick cash he shouldn't have a problem. Take a look at this market depth chart for the Bitstamp exchange...

http://bitcoincharts.com/markets/bitstampUSD_depth.html

From what I see, if he's willing to accept $340 for them, he could sell 10,000 bitcoins straight away for an instant $3.4 million, and still have 25,000 bitcoins left.
This has been a major objection of mine all along; the lack of liquidity in the BTC system. There's probably not $14 million in fiat in the system among all of the exchanges. So this guy's $14 million is a paper fortune; even worse, it's virtual paper and could easily evaporate entirely.
Old 27th September 2014, 02:45 PM   #109
Tippit

That does not counter what JHunter said. How can you liquidate those BTC ?
Uh, there were ~90,000 BTC transacted in just the last 24h, and the market cap is just under $6 billion. I'm not going to bother to link to the stats, you can look them up. Clearly the market is deep enough for him to liquidate his BTC, just not all on one day.
Old 27th September 2014, 02:47 PM   #110
jhunter1163

Uh, there were ~90,000 BTC transacted in just the last 24h, and the market cap is just under $6 billion. I'm not going to bother to link to the stats, you can look them up. Clearly the market is deep enough for him to liquidate his BTC, just not all on one day.
How many of those transactions were BTC to USD, and how many were BTC to BTC?
Old 27th September 2014, 02:51 PM   #111
Belz...
Fiend God

Uh, there were ~90,000 BTC transacted in just the last 24h, and the market cap is just under $6 billion.
That doesn't answer my question: how do you liquidate those BTC in short order ? If you can't get USD for your BTC, then they are not worth that amount.

Old 27th September 2014, 02:53 PM   #112
Tippit

How many of those transactions were BTC to USD, and how many were BTC to BTC?
https://blockchain.info/charts/estim...ion-volume-usd

So, the USD volume has been hovering around $50 million a day. Divide that by the USD price to get the BTC volume. Why would anyone trade bitcoin for bitcoin, what kind of transactions are you talking about?

Bitcoin may or may not be in a bubble, but you are living in a bubble.
Old 27th September 2014, 03:41 PM   #113
jhunter1163

https://blockchain.info/charts/estim...ion-volume-usd

So, the USD volume has been hovering around $50 million a day. Divide that by the USD price to get the BTC volume. Why would anyone trade bitcoin for bitcoin, what kind of transactions are you talking about?

Bitcoin may or may not be in a bubble, but you are living in a bubble.
IIRC about one-quarter of all BTC transactions are on a single gaming site. On that site, you bet BTC and win BTC. No USD ever changes hands. There's also the illegal trade; obviously, no one knows how large a market that is, but again, no USD is changing hands.

I would be very surprised if any significant amount of BTC is being redeemed for cash simply because it's so difficult to do it. eBay and Overstock accepting BTC is great news for BTC holders; they can use their BTC there, get some value for their money, and wash their hands of the whole thing.

I'm curious as to how soon Coinbase is required to pay eBay and Overstock their USD. I can't imagine it's very long.
Old 27th September 2014, 04:28 PM   #114
Brian-M
Daydreamer

I would be very surprised if any significant amount of BTC is being redeemed for cash simply because it's so difficult to do it.
What exactly do you call significant? I pointed out in my last post that most days see more than 10,000 bitcoins being redeemed for cash. Is $4 million a day not significant?

eBay and Overstock accepting BTC is great news for BTC holders; they can use their BTC there, get some value for their money, and wash their hands of the whole thing.
I somehow doubt it'd be more convenient for a person to spend hundreds of thousands or even millions of dollars in bitcoin on eBay than it would be to simply trade the bitcoin directly for cash on an exchange.
Old 27th September 2014, 06:46 PM   #115
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

IIRC about one-quarter of all BTC transactions are on a single gaming site.
Making up facts is so much fun!
Old 28th September 2014, 07:48 AM   #116
jhunter1163

Making up facts is so much fun!
Oh, come now. This is a skeptics' site. Surely you didn't think I would be unable to back up my assertion?

And, actually, I understated the percentage; according to this article, gambling represents almost half of all BTC transactions.

http://arstechnica.com/business/2013...-transactions/

Last edited by jhunter1163; 28th September 2014 at 07:50 AM. Reason: clarity
Old 28th September 2014, 07:52 AM   #117
jhunter1163

I somehow doubt it'd be more convenient for a person to spend hundreds of thousands or even millions of dollars in bitcoin on eBay than it would be to simply trade the bitcoin directly for cash on an exchange.
You haven't read up too much on the adventures people have had in trying to get their money out of exchanges, have you?
Old 28th September 2014, 01:56 PM   #118
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

Oh, come now. This is a skeptics' site. Surely you didn't think I would be unable to back up my assertion?

And, actually, I understated the percentage; according to this article, gambling represents almost half of all BTC transactions.

http://arstechnica.com/business/2013...-transactions/
You really should learn to read past the headlines. The devil is in the detail and never the twain shall meet.

Based on the number of bitcoin transactions, the article calculates that for the month of June 2013, transactions involving satoshi dice account for 25% to 50% of that number. Even then, that would assume that multiple destination transactions where satoshi dice is one of them are counted solely as a satoshi dice transaction.

However, when you include the number of bitcoins per transaction, you get a very different story.
Quote:
Still, SatoshiDice transactions tend to be smaller. If you look at average daily transaction volume for June, SatoshiDice only constitutes 5 percent of daily Bitcoin transaction volume.
The article tries to bolster that figure by including bitzino (which reported "that 3.2 million wagers were made in the second half of 2012"). Of course this doesn't wash since a single bitzino deposit can result in many wagers - especially if the gambler is lucky.

So yes, 50% is a made up "fact". The only difference is that you aren't the one who made it up. You just uncritically took a headline as gospel.

You haven't read up too much on the adventures people have had in trying to get their money out of exchanges, have you?
MtGox died therefore ALL bitcoin exchanges have difficulty cashing out withdrawals?

Seriously, a rock could come up with better critical thinking than you do.

Last edited by psionl0; 28th September 2014 at 01:58 PM.
psionl0 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 28th September 2014, 02:08 PM   #119
jhunter1163

You really should learn to read past the headlines. The devil is in the detail and never the twain shall meet.

Based on the number of bitcoin transactions, the article calculates that for the month of June 2013, transactions involving satoshi dice account for 25% to 50% of that number. Even then, that would assume that multiple destination transactions where satoshi dice is one of them are counted solely as a satoshi dice transaction.

However, when you include the number of bitcoins per transaction, you get a very different story.
The article tries to bolster that figure by including bitzino (which reported "that 3.2 million wagers were made in the second half of 2012"). Of course this doesn't wash since a single bitzino deposit can result in many wagers - especially if the gambler is lucky.

So yes, 50% is a made up "fact". The only difference is that you aren't the one who made it up. You just uncritically took a headline as gospel.

MtGox died therefore ALL bitcoin exchanges have difficulty cashing out withdrawals?

Seriously, a rock could come up with better critical thinking than you do.
All right then. Show me an exchange where I can cash out 10,000 BTC in 24 hours. If you can, I will withdraw my assertion.

ETA: If I had $4.2 million in my Scottrade account, I could have a cashier's check in my hand in 24 hours if I wanted. Just sayin'.

Last edited by jhunter1163; 28th September 2014 at 02:16 PM.
Old 28th September 2014, 02:13 PM   #120
jhunter1163

And it sure looks like BTC gambling is a booming business, still.

https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Category:Gambling
Closed Thread

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Economics, Business and Finance