IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Economics, Business and Finance

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags bitcoin

Closed Thread
Old 29th December 2014, 11:34 PM   #321
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

Originally Posted by remirol View Post
Originally Posted by jhunter1163 View Post
And presto! Bitcoin has become a currency.
Old 30th December 2014, 05:34 AM   #322
Belz...
Fiend God

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 30th December 2014, 05:50 AM   #323
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
It's not my claim. Check out their links.
Old 30th December 2014, 06:20 AM   #324
remirol
Senior Wrangler

Originally Posted by psionl0 View Post
And presto! Bitcoin has become a currency.
Russian rubber duck never sinks.
remirol is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 30th December 2014, 09:29 AM   #325
Belz...
Fiend God

It's not my claim. Check out their links.
My point is that even if person A says it's not a currency and it's terrible, and person B says it's the worst currency doesn't mean A's argument is inconsistent.

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 30th December 2014, 09:57 AM   #326
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

My point is that even if person A says it's not a currency and it's terrible, and person B says it's the worst currency doesn't mean A's argument is inconsistent.
Of course it is! It makes no sense to compare bitcoin to a currency if it isn't a currency (and this thread has had many a passionate argument about this) so, let's suddenly start calling it a currency.
Old 30th December 2014, 04:22 PM   #327
Belz...
Fiend God

Of course it is! It makes no sense to compare bitcoin to a currency if it isn't a currency (and this thread has had many a passionate argument about this) so, let's suddenly start calling it a currency.
You do realise that you are saying that one person's argument is invalid because of another person's argument, which you also disagree with, right ?

Old 30th December 2014, 11:18 PM   #328
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

You do realise that you are saying that one person's argument is invalid because of another person's argument, which you also disagree with, right ?
I have no idea what you are talking about.

There is no question that bitcoin had a bad year pricewise and even buyers of the Russian Rouble would have fared better (although the Rouble has never enjoyed the spectacular gains of bitcoin the year before).

I just find it ironic that bitcoin opponents who argue themselves blue in the face that "BITCOIN IS NOT A CURRENCY!!!!" suddenly describe it as a currency because it suits their agenda.
Old 31st December 2014, 04:28 AM   #329
Belz...
Fiend God

I have no idea what you are talking about.
Amazing. I confirmed it with you, and you agreed, and now you don't understand.

Well, go back and read the last few posts.

Old 31st December 2014, 08:35 AM   #330
remirol
Senior Wrangler

I just find it ironic that bitcoin opponents who argue themselves blue in the face that "BITCOIN IS NOT A CURRENCY!!!!" suddenly describe it as a currency because it suits their agenda.
Who did that?
remirol is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 31st December 2014, 09:34 AM   #331
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

Amazing. I confirmed it with you, and you agreed, and now you don't understand.

Well, go back and read the last few posts.
I still don't see it. It must be my poor communication skills. Let me try again:
Code:
if (isCurrency(BTC)) {
   ****Happens(BTC);
} else {
   ****Happens(BTC);
}
Edited by LashL:  Edited to properly mask profanity. Please see Rule 10.

Last edited by LashL; 2nd January 2015 at 01:30 PM.
psionl0 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 31st December 2014, 06:03 PM   #332
Belz...
Fiend God

I still don't see it. It must be my poor communication skills. Let me try again:
No, it's your poor reading skills.

The person saying it's a bad currency isn't the same person saying it's not a currency. How one can be used as an argument against the other boggles the mind.

Old 31st December 2014, 06:47 PM   #333
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

The person saying it's a bad currency isn't the same person saying it's not a currency.
So?
Old 1st January 2015, 05:21 AM   #334
Belz...
Fiend God

So?
So your comment was nonsensical.

Old 1st January 2015, 06:16 AM   #335
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

Why?
Old 2nd January 2015, 02:02 AM   #336
AdMan
Penultimate Amazing

Why?

Maybe you guys should take it to PMs--I don't think either of you understand what the other is saying.

ETA: Which I think says something about Bitcoin...

Last edited by AdMan; 2nd January 2015 at 02:35 AM.
AdMan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 2nd January 2015, 03:45 AM   #337
Belz...
Fiend God

Why?
I have already explained it to you, but I'll try again: someone on the internet says that BTC is the worst currency. That doesn't mean that someone else, who says it's not a currency, is wrong. It sure doesn't mean that they are being inconsistent, since they are not the same person.

Old 2nd January 2015, 05:46 AM   #338
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

I have already explained it to you, but I'll try again: someone on the internet says that BTC is the worst currency. That doesn't mean that someone else, who says it's not a currency, is wrong. It sure doesn't mean that they are being inconsistent, since they are not the same person.
The irony is that someone who says that bitcoin is not a currency is quoting somebody who says that bitcoin is a currency (albeit the "worst" one).

I know that remirol has already implied that he always believed that bitcoin is a currency but you can be sure that jhunter1163 has never argued that bitcoin is a currency.
Old 2nd January 2015, 08:41 AM   #339
jhunter1163
beer-swilling semiliterate

Location: Connecticut, or King Arthur's Court. Hard to tell sometimes.
The irony is that someone who says that bitcoin is not a currency is quoting somebody who says that bitcoin is a currency (albeit the "worst" one).

I know that remirol has already implied that he always believed that bitcoin is a currency but you can be sure that jhunter1163 has never argued that bitcoin is a currency.
It's certainly not a currency in any practical sense. A theoretical argument might be made, but down here in the real world it's not what most people think of when they think of "currency".
jhunter1163 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 2nd January 2015, 08:45 AM   #340
remirol
Senior Wrangler

Not "quoting" -- "is linking to an article which says".

I don't see the problem here. I don't consider it a currency; I consider it a commodity. The article-writer chose to call it a currency. I don't agree with his terminology, but he's definitely right that if you measure it as a currency, it was a big pile of **** over 2014.

All you have to do is read the words and respond to those, instead of the ones you hear inside your mind.
Old 2nd January 2015, 09:16 AM   #341
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

Not "quoting" -- "is linking to an article which says".
Oh! That makes all the difference - NOT!

It's certainly not a currency in any practical sense.
I don't see the problem here. I don't consider it a currency;
And yet you both "linked" to articles that called it a "currency". Even if you think you can use any word that you find convenient, I still say,
All you have to do is read the words and respond to those, instead of the ones you hear inside your mind.
I don't know which words you imagine I am responding to but I am only responding to the ones I saw in the articles.

Last edited by psionl0; 2nd January 2015 at 09:23 AM.
psionl0 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 2nd January 2015, 09:42 AM   #342
remirol
Senior Wrangler

Oh! That makes all the difference - NOT!

And yet you both "linked" to articles that called it a "currency". Even if you think you can use any word that you find convenient, I still say,
I don't know which words you imagine I am responding to but I am only responding to the ones I saw in the articles.
It's just English. Try it sometime.
Old 2nd January 2015, 10:00 AM   #343
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

Old 2nd January 2015, 11:08 AM   #344
jhunter1163

This really isn't that difficult, psionl0. The fact that Remirol and I linked to articles which called BTC a "currency" does not mean that either he or I think of it as such. If the writers of the articles believe that it is, bully for them; it in no way affects my opinion and I think I can speak for Remirol in saying that it in no way affects his opinion.
jhunter1163 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 2nd January 2015, 11:55 AM   #345
Scopedog
Muse

Since any breach would probably make the news, I'll agree. I'll sport the avatar of your choice for a week should that not happen.
What's the avatar going to be?
Scopedog is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 2nd January 2015, 12:47 PM   #346
The_Animus
Illuminator

This really isn't that difficult, psionl0. The fact that Remirol and I linked to articles which called BTC a "currency" does not mean that either he or I think of it as such. If the writers of the articles believe that it is, bully for them; it in no way affects my opinion and I think I can speak for Remirol in saying that it in no way affects his opinion.
So neither of you believe it's a currency but you post an article that calls it a currency and compares how it did over the year to other currencies.

That article either contradicts your view of what bitcoin is, or it's total junk for comparing a non currency to currencies.

As you have already said you don't consider it a currency, why would you possibly post this? You accept the conclusion of an argument when you've stated you don't accept the premise.

That's illogical yo. I can't have it.
The_Animus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 2nd January 2015, 01:44 PM   #347
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

Originally Posted by The_Animus View Post
You accept the conclusion of an argument when you've stated you don't accept the premise.

It just goes to show that you can't be both a bitcoin opponent and a critical thinker at the same time.
Old 2nd January 2015, 01:52 PM   #348
jhunter1163

Originally Posted by Scopedog View Post
What's the avatar going to be?
Never let it be said that I am not a sporting man. Whatever Octavo chooses is fine. Perhaps a Hello Kitty avatar or something.
Old 2nd January 2015, 02:01 PM   #349
jhunter1163

So neither of you believe it's a currency but you post an article that calls it a currency and compares how it did over the year to other currencies.

That article either contradicts your view of what bitcoin is, or it's total junk for comparing a non currency to currencies.

As you have already said you don't consider it a currency, why would you possibly post this? You accept the conclusion of an argument when you've stated you don't accept the premise.

I'm having a hard time even parsing this. There's not an "argument" here; the articles simply showed that BTC lost more than half of its value in 2014, which is a worse performance than any currency on earth. That's not arguable. That's a fact.

If it would make you feel better, I could compile a similar chart showing BTC's performance against, say, gold, platinum, copper and lean hogs (if BTC is deemed a commodity) or against the Dow, S&P, Russell 2000 and Nikkei (if it's deemed an investment). I'm sure the comparisons would reflect equally poorly on BTC.
Old 2nd January 2015, 08:02 PM   #350
remirol
Senior Wrangler

So tell me, what about the article changes if you replace the word "currency" with the word "commodity" everywhere that it's used to reference Bitcoin?

Quote:
Only for an extremely narrow definition of "logic".

I'm hardly surprised at this reaction, though -- the Bitbugs in this thread have all avoided discussing the content of the article in favor of shouting in faux-glee that someone bothered to call Bitcoin a currency. As noted earlier both in this thread and others: Unsinkable Rubber Duckie.
Old 3rd January 2015, 04:25 AM   #351
Belz...
Fiend God

Yes I know, and I told you why it isn't so.

Old 3rd January 2015, 05:26 AM   #352
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

Yes I know, and I told you why it isn't so.
No you didn't.

You seemed to infer that I believed that the sources were wrong about bitcoin prices because they called bitcoin a "currency".

I would never be guilty of such uncritical thinking.
Old 3rd January 2015, 06:52 AM   #353
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

Don't make me stop this car!! Because I will!

And I'll tell you right now, I don't want to hear any of the but-he-started-it ****.
Old 3rd January 2015, 11:59 AM   #354
Belz...
Fiend God

No you didn't.
Oh, so now you're back to not understanding. Well you can play your games on your own.

Old 3rd January 2015, 12:55 PM   #355
Belz...
Fiend God

BTC just dropped under 300$ again.

Old 3rd January 2015, 12:59 PM   #356
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

I'm hardly surprised at this reaction, though -- the Bitbugs in this thread have all avoided discussing the content of the article in favor of shouting in faux-glee that someone bothered to call Bitcoin a currency.
So bitcoin lost nearly 3/4 of its value in 2014 and the Russian Rouble didn't. What's so discussion-worthy about that? If the articles hadn't called bitcoin a currency there would be nothing to comment on.

Of course, I never expected that drawing attention to the currency aspect would result in all this hoo ha but - there you go.
Old 3rd January 2015, 01:56 PM   #357
The_Animus
Illuminator

Only for an extremely narrow definition of "logic".

I'm hardly surprised at this reaction, though -- the Bitbugs in this thread have all avoided discussing the content of the article in favor of shouting in faux-glee that someone bothered to call Bitcoin a currency. As noted earlier both in this thread and others: Unsinkable Rubber Duckie.
I understand the article just fine and bitcoin did lose more value than any currency. The article is logically consistant, at least for anyone who believe bitcoin qualifies as a currency.

You and Jhunter accepting the article and its conclusion while simultaneously rejecting the premise is illogical. It's logic 101 and I'm sorry if you don't understand but I'm not wasting anymore time on this portion of the discussion.

Last edited by The_Animus; 3rd January 2015 at 01:58 PM.
The_Animus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 3rd January 2015, 02:19 PM   #358
jhunter1163

You and Jhunter accepting the article and its conclusion while simultaneously rejecting the premise is illogical. It's logic 101 and I'm sorry if you don't understand but I'm not wasting anymore time on this portion of the discussion.
There isn't a "premise". BTC was compared to currencies by the author of the article. I disagree with the author that BTC is a currency, at least in any useful sense, but that in no way invalidates the author's conclusion that BTC performed worse than any currency on earth last year because that conclusion is factual.

I can't explain it any more clearly than that.
Old 3rd January 2015, 04:17 PM   #359
Belz...
Fiend God

286.9$

Don't know what's going on but it hasn't been this low in a while.

Old 3rd January 2015, 05:27 PM   #360
jhunter1163

286.9$

Don't know what's going on but it hasn't been this low in a while.
$279 and falling. No news I can find.
Closed Thread

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Economics, Business and Finance