IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , Trump supporters

View Poll Results: Which Trump supporters do you feel the least amount of sympathy for
Those who rely on Obamacare 47 48.96%
Those living near the border who may loose their homes due to the wall 15 15.63%
Those concerned about internet privacy 11 11.46%
Those with friends/relatives who were affected by immigration policies 23 23.96%
Other 38 39.58%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 96. You may not vote on this poll

Old 13th April 2017, 09:30 AM   #1
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Which Trump supporters do you feel the least amount of sympathy for

Now that the U.S. has a racist orangutan as president, many of his supporters are now complaining about some of Trump's policies. It may sound rather callous, but in many cases its hard to feel sympathy for people who knowingly voted for Trump, given what his policies and political rhetoric were. If you feel the same way, who do you have the least amount of sympathy for:

- Trump supporters who are worried about loosing health care due to the republicans wanting to dismantle Obamacare, such as those in Coal country. (They fell for the empty promise of Trump planning on bringing back coal jobs, but thought he was "just kidding" about wanting to get rid of Obamacare.)

https://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...=.6a12e16e6f47

- Trump supporters in the southern U.S. who may find that they are loosing their homes due to Trump's border wall

http://www.latina.com/lifestyle/news...s-house-mexico

- Online Trump supporters after Trump signed a bill allowing ISPs to sell browsing history.

https://www.aol.com/article/news/201...peal/22017215/

- The woman who voted for Trump even though her husband was an illegal immigrant and has recently been deported.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.b1075e88be5d

I'm Mary Poppins Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot

Last edited by Segnosaur; 13th April 2017 at 09:32 AM.
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th April 2017, 09:33 AM   #2
Tony Stark
Philosopher

I have no sympathy whatsoever for any Trump supporter that Trump screws over.
Tony Stark is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th April 2017, 09:36 AM   #3
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Other: all of the above and then some.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th April 2017, 09:38 AM   #4
NoahFence
Banned

No sympathy for any of those *********** idiots.
NoahFence is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th April 2017, 09:40 AM   #5
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
Other: all of the above and then some.
Is there anyone I have missed?

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th April 2017, 09:42 AM   #6
Tony Stark
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
The ones that live near streams that Trump is allowing coal companies to poison, for one.
Tony Stark is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th April 2017, 09:44 AM   #7
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Quote:
Quote:
No sympathy for any of those *********** idiots.
Yeah, I figured there would be a lot of that.

MAYBE it may be possible to feel sympathy for the people concerned about internet privacy, since unlike health care/immigration/etc. I don't remember it ever being a campaign issue, but even then they should have realized "Trump=scummy businessman".

We are Groot - Groot
Old 13th April 2017, 09:51 AM   #8
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Tony Stark View Post
The ones that live near streams that Trump is allowing coal companies to poison, for one.
I'm sure there are many that are pissed off.

Do you have any references to specific Trump supporters who are now complaining because of the removal of dumping regulations? (Not that I don't think its happening, just that it would be nice to see some specific cases.)

We are Groot - Groot
Old 13th April 2017, 09:52 AM   #9
Tony Stark
Philosopher

I'm sure there are many that are pissed off.

Do you have any references to specific Trump supporters who are now complaining because of the removal of dumping regulations? (Not that I don't think its happening, just that it would be nice to see some specific cases.)
I don't know of any specific cases.
Old 13th April 2017, 09:57 AM   #10
Stacko
Penultimate Amazing

Other. The people who thought he was anti-interventionist.
Stacko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th April 2017, 09:59 AM   #11
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Here's another group... Farmers (who overwhelmingly supported Trump) are now worried that Trump's plans to renegotiate NAFTA will affect their sales.

http://www.grubstreet.com/2017/02/fa...-position.html

We are Groot - Groot
Old 13th April 2017, 10:01 AM   #12
Manger Douse
Graduate Poster

Considering the 4Chan connection, I'm gonna go with internet privacy
Manger Douse is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th April 2017, 10:03 AM   #13
Tony Stark
Philosopher

The sad thing is that most of the Trump supporters that he screw over will vote for him again.
Old 13th April 2017, 10:07 AM   #14
blutoski
Penultimate Amazing

Yeah, other... I only have a few American peers who were Trumpies, and they're all on silent running right now.

Most of them operate businesses that depend on modifying imported items, which are now at risk of seeing their costs skyrocket. For example, I have a friend in Seattle who frosts glass in chandeliers. The blanks are manufactured in the Philippines, and he's always monitoring American sourcing as alternatives, but evidently domestic supply will quadruple the final price, which will reduce his sales volume considerably, and jeopardize the viability of his business.
Old 13th April 2017, 10:10 AM   #15
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by blutoski View Post
Yeah, other... I only have a few American peers who were Trumpies, and they're all on silent running right now.

Most of them operate businesses that depend on modifying imported items, which are now at risk of seeing their costs skyrocket. For example, I have a friend in Seattle who frosts glass in chandeliers. The blanks are manufactured in the Philippines, and he's always monitoring American sourcing as alternatives, but evidently domestic supply will quadruple the final price, which will reduce his sales volume considerably, and jeopardize the viability of his business.
Wait for trump to destroy the value of the dollar like he pledged that will cut the price difference.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th April 2017, 10:14 AM   #16
blutoski
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by ponderingturtle View Post
Wait for trump to destroy the value of the dollar like he pledged that will cut the price difference.
It might, which will make the domestic suppliers competitive (which is the point of an import duty), but that still increases his prices, and his demand curve estimates are that there's not enough sales at that pricepoint for the business to be viable.
Old 13th April 2017, 10:18 AM   #17
Biscuit
Philosopher

r/the_donald subscribers on reddit. The reddit is filled with the most foul apologists on the planet and the moderators are currently on a massive ban campaign on any subscriber who dares to question if trump is anything other than the greatest 4D chess player on planet earth. Many people over there are getting antsy over the bombing in Syria as many there were convinced the chemical attacks were a false flag event by the global elite and that trump was too smart to fall for it. After he attacked a wave of panic rippled through the pages followed quickly by mass banning. Just wait until their master, Bannon, is kicked to the curb.
Old 13th April 2017, 10:22 AM   #18
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

It might, which will make the domestic suppliers competitive (which is the point of an import duty), but that still increases his prices, and his demand curve estimates are that there's not enough sales at that pricepoint for the business to be viable.
I assume the chandeliers he produces are luxury items to a certain degree then?

(Never really priced out glass chandeliers... when I bought my house it came with cheap plastic ones that I'm perfectly fine with.)

We are Groot - Groot
Old 13th April 2017, 10:33 AM   #19
Stacko
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Biscuit View Post
r/the_donald subscribers on reddit. The reddit is filled with the most foul apologists on the planet and the moderators are currently on a massive ban campaign on any subscriber who dares to question if trump is anything other than the greatest 4D chess player on planet earth. Many people over there are getting antsy over the bombing in Syria as many there were convinced the chemical attacks were a false flag event by the global elite and that trump was too smart to fall for it. After he attacked a wave of panic rippled through the pages followed quickly by mass banning. Just wait until their master, Bannon, is kicked to the curb.
Why would you feel sympathy for them? It's a large collection of the some of the worst humanity has to offer.
Stacko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th April 2017, 10:33 AM   #20
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

Trump is having the most failed first 100 days of any president ever. Great victory!

When is he going to get around to repealing Obamacare?
That was day 1.

Defeating ISIS (30 days).

Elminate the debt - 10 years.

BTW, the latest Trump lie: he did not know Steve Bannon before Bannon joined the campaign. Although when he hired Steve Bannon, he claimed he had known him for years. He had been on Bannon's radio show multiple times.

OK, this is a trivial little lie, but then again, it's stupid. Why bother lying about something so trivial? It's because he has no regard for the truth.
Gunter Haas, the 'leading British expert,' was a graphologist who advised couples, based on their handwriting characteristics, if they were compatible for marriage. I would submit that couples idiotic enough to do this are probably quite suitable for each other. It's nice when stupid people find love. - Ludovic Kennedy
pgwenthold is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th April 2017, 11:10 AM   #21
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy

Gay Trump voters.

Yes, they exist.
Old 13th April 2017, 12:16 PM   #22
Spindrift
Time Person of the Year, 2006

Originally Posted by pgwenthold View Post
That was day 1.

Defeating ISIS (30 days).

Elminate the debt - 10 years.

BTW, the latest Trump lie: he did not know Steve Bannon before Bannon joined the campaign. Although when he hired Steve Bannon, he claimed he had known him for years. He had been on Bannon's radio show multiple times.

OK, this is a trivial little lie, but then again, it's stupid. Why bother lying about something so trivial? It's because he has no regard for the truth.
He has regard for the truth, he's just not on a first name basis with it.
Spindrift is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th April 2017, 12:17 PM   #23
fuelair
Banned

This, the only and obvious correct answer!!!!!!!
fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th April 2017, 12:27 PM   #24
mgidm86
Philosopher

Hey, I have a better question!

Which Sesame Street character do you feel sorry for since Hillary lost the election?!?!?!?

I've been wondering this fornever!
Old 13th April 2017, 12:30 PM   #25
skyeagle409
Master Poster

Now that the U.S. has a racist orangutan as president, many of his supporters are now complaining about some of Trump's policies. It may sound rather callous, but in many cases its hard to feel sympathy for people who knowingly voted for Trump, given what his policies and political rhetoric were. If you feel the same way, who do you have the least amount of sympathy for:

- Trump supporters who are worried about loosing health care due to the republicans wanting to dismantle Obamacare, such as those in Coal country. (They fell for the empty promise of Trump planning on bringing back coal jobs, but thought he was "just kidding" about wanting to get rid of Obamacare.)

https://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...=.6a12e16e6f47

- Trump supporters in the southern U.S. who may find that they are loosing their homes due to Trump's border wall

http://www.latina.com/lifestyle/news...s-house-mexico

- Online Trump supporters after Trump signed a bill allowing ISPs to sell browsing history.

https://www.aol.com/article/news/201...peal/22017215/

- The woman who voted for Trump even though her husband was an illegal immigrant and has recently been deported.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.b1075e88be5d

It is rather difficult to single out one particular group of Trump supporters so I will have to throw in the towel and say "all of the above."
skyeagle409 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th April 2017, 12:57 PM   #26
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by skyeagle409 View Post
Amusing considering that Trump has failed to defeat ISIS in 30 days as he claimed he would
I don't remember him promising to defeat ISIS in 30 days. I do remember him talking about telling his generals to come up with a plan in 30 days. Can't remember if that was before or after he said he'd fire all the generals. Then he said it didn't matter because he was smarter than the generals.
Quote:
failed to get his health care bill passed
You can't blame him for that...After all, as Trump said, who knew that health care would be so complex? (Well, except for the Democrats. And Hillary Clinton.)
Quote:
Now, he is turning around 180 degrees on some issues that he raved about during his campaign speeches.
Now that's not fair...

After all, he often gave contradictory statements BEFORE the election too...

We are Groot - Groot
Old 13th April 2017, 01:26 PM   #27
Roger Ramjets
Philosopher

Quote:
Which Trump supporters do you feel the least amount of sympathy for
Moderate republicans who threw in with Trump because they couldn't stand the thought of another Democrat in the White House. How's that 'lesser of two evils' thing working out for you?

But I love what Trump has done so far, and hope he continues to 'win' until we are all thoroughly sick of it. Though personally I hope to never become sick of it, because I hate America!
Old 13th April 2017, 01:33 PM   #28
elemental
Scholar

Other- none of them. I don't feel sympathy for any of them. They knew what they were signing up for. I know one person who voted Trump, and he regrets it. I don't even him ask why because I can't manage to care.

Are we still winning?!
elemental is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th April 2017, 01:37 PM   #29
rustypouch
Philosopher

None. Why should I feel sympathy when people get what they want?
rustypouch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th April 2017, 01:41 PM   #30
blutoski
Penultimate Amazing

I assume the chandeliers he produces are luxury items to a certain degree then?
By the looks of them, I'd say no, but I'm no interior decorator. A mix of crystal and cut glass with frosted faces on the outer rings, some cheap brass fittings, tassels. I think they're hideous but he sells tons of them through home improvement chains like Home Depot. Around $1,000 retail. All his competitors import as well, mostly Indian manufacturers.

Last edited by blutoski; 13th April 2017 at 01:47 PM. Reason: not sure how i did it, but i misspelled 'by'
blutoski is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th April 2017, 01:48 PM   #31
Tony Stark
Philosopher

Buy the looks of them, I'd say no, but I'm no interior decorator. A mix of crystal and cut glass with frosted faces on the outer rings, some cheap brass fittings, tassels. I think they're hideous but he sells tons of them through home improvement chains like Home Depot. Around $1,000 retail. All his competitors import as well, mostly Indian manufacturers.
I didn't know they sold $1000 chandeliers at Home Depot.
Old 13th April 2017, 01:58 PM   #32
CapelDodger
Penultimate Amazing

I have no sympathy for any of them, but some gratitude. They have provided the US Right with the opportunity to demonstrate just how bankrupt their ideology is, without any "liberal interference" to blame their failure on.

God can make a cow out of a tree, but has He ever done so? Therefore show some reason why a thing is so, or cease to hold that it is so - William of Conches, c1150
CapelDodger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th April 2017, 02:50 PM   #33
blutoski
Penultimate Amazing

I didn't know they sold $1000 chandeliers at Home Depot.
Well, that's in $CDN, so... $USD 32.50?
Old 13th April 2017, 02:54 PM   #34
Seismosaurus
Philosopher

I feel no sympathy for any Trump voter.

Many of them are going to literally die because of him. I have no sympathy - they're getting what they voted for.
Old 13th April 2017, 02:56 PM   #35
johnny karate
... and your little dog too.

Originally Posted by mgidm86 View Post

Which Sesame Street character do you feel sorry for since Hillary lost the election?!?!?!?

My choice: People who don't have the balls to just come out and admit they support Trump, but offer their implicit support with passive-agressive digs at anyone who criticizes Trump.
johnny karate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th April 2017, 03:00 PM   #36
Tony Stark
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Seismosaurus View Post
I feel no sympathy for any Trump voter.

Many of them are going to literally die because of him. I have no sympathy - they're getting what they voted for.
Well, that depends on how much he ends up screwing up Obamacare, mostly.

But yeah, if Trump voters die because of Trump, I literally do not care.
Old 13th April 2017, 03:04 PM   #37
blutoski
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by johnny karate View Post
My choice: People who don't have the balls to just come out and admit they support Trump, but offer their implicit support with passive-agressive digs at anyone who criticizes Trump.
Another "Other" would be Canadians who support Trump.

Specifically, I have a work colleague who was excited about Trump, "because he'll bring our jobs back." I didn't really want to get into it with her in the Fall, but since the election she's shifted to asking questions. A bit late, IMO.

Anyway, the fact she had somehow overlooked was that WE'RE NOT THE USA.

So when Trump said he would be bringing jobs 'back' to America... that's going to come from a million Canadians in the Quebec-Windsor corridor building auto parts for GM and Ford. People like her brother. So now she's grokking that a US plan to strongarm the world to siphon value into the USA means Canadian standard of living is in the crosshairs.

Having said that... another Trumpie I met on the bus last fall might still be happy. He was unemployed anyway, and his solution seemed to be to 'send all the darkies back where they came from'. The guy was kinda hilarious in that he was so furious that he once saw n-words openly smoking a joint on the street... meanwhile he's talking to me sipping a bottle of red label wrapped in a paper bag, on a public bus. It was like he was trying to be a stereotype. Here six months later, I'm still entertaining the possibility it was performance art.

Last edited by blutoski; 13th April 2017 at 03:08 PM.
blutoski is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th April 2017, 03:14 PM   #38
CapelDodger
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by mgidm86 View Post
Excellent news.

Quote:
Still waiting.

Quote:
I didn't wonder about you for long at all.

God can make a cow out of a tree, but has He ever done so? Therefore show some reason why a thing is so, or cease to hold that it is so - William of Conches, c1150
CapelDodger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th April 2017, 03:34 PM   #39
CapelDodger
Penultimate Amazing

Well, that depends on how much he ends up screwing up Obamacare, mostly.
Well there's the economy. If the markets start gyrating as they well might in response to his stream-of-consciousness things may seize up abruptly.

Then there's States' Rights, or in general the delegation of policy to the State level, which people tend to find attractive in principle but disconcerting in practice.

Quote:
But yeah, if Trump voters die because of Trump, I literally do not care.
Cold. Me too. I do and will care about the babies, but if they voted it could only have been illegally and for Hillary Clinton. Axiomatically.

Last edited by CapelDodger; 13th April 2017 at 03:35 PM. Reason: typo
Old 13th April 2017, 05:16 PM   #40
logger
Banned

Originally Posted by skyeagle409 View Post
Amusing considering that Trump has failed to defeat ISIS in 30 days as he claimed he would, failed to get his health care bill passed, had both travel bans challenged in courts and now, his so-called wall is being challenged. Not even the border guards want Trump's wall. Now, we find that his wall won't even cover the full length of our border with Mexico. Now, he is turning around 180 degrees on some issues that he raved about during his campaign speeches.

How's that for playing his supporters as suckers?!
None of that really matters, i for one knew much of this would take much more time. Trump didn't anticipate how crazy the left is, he's learning it very quickly. I'm going to wait at least 2 years before rendering judgement.

I'm quite pleased with his court pick.
logger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics