IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , Trump supporters

View Poll Results: Which Trump supporters do you feel the least amount of sympathy for
Those who rely on Obamacare 47 48.96%
Those living near the border who may loose their homes due to the wall 15 15.63%
Those concerned about internet privacy 11 11.46%
Those with friends/relatives who were affected by immigration policies 23 23.96%
Other 38 39.58%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 96. You may not vote on this poll

Old 14th April 2017, 06:56 PM   #81
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Armitage72 View Post
There's no need to exaggerate. I'm fairly certain that William Henry Harrison had a worse first 100 days than Trump, considering he spent 69 of them decomposing.
Skeptic Ginger is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th April 2017, 07:01 PM   #82
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Apathia View Post
I confess I do feel sympathy for the Trump voters. Yes. I know they are bunch of easy marks, deluded, and in many cases stupid. Yes. I know that most of them are true believers who will defend him and vote for him again if they have the opportunity. Yes. I know that in their number are bigots and racists.

And yet I'm not keen on them suffering because of Trump, his cronies, and the Republican Party any more than I want to suffer the bastards.

I guess this is because I don't see them as a demographic It, but as people I know and encounter in life. When they get the shaft they voted for, I'll not gloat or tell them I told them so. They will get my sighs, even if the stupid fools go blaming Obama for their misfortune.

I grew up in a family of idiots. If I insisted I'd only associate with people of like intelligence and values to mine, I'd have no friends. And I'm old enough to look back on my own life and see when I was an idiot and did things under delusions that were against my well being. And I suffered because of my stupidity. So I empathize with these wretches.

Please. Do go ahead and be angry at the bozoids who voted this kyarn into office, and also all those who voted by not voting. I too grieve that we live in a nation of idiots. But when I see their faces, I can't but feel sorry for them.
How about the ones that still don't know they've been conned? There was one on Fox tonight (gawd Fox is worse than ever) whining about the fact some CA cities have decided to boycott companies that put in bids on building the wall. He's upset that the majority in the country (because Trump lost the popular vote) are taking alternate actions to address Trump's damaging policies.

Nope, no empathy or sympathy for that guy. None.
Skeptic Ginger is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th April 2017, 07:03 PM   #83
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Loss Leader View Post
Mod WarningTwenty-one posts have been removed for being off-topic. The topic of this thread is well-stated in the OP. The effect of the Democratic minority on Trump's ability to move legislation (or how Clinton may have done it differently) is off-topic, as is one's pleasure or pain at watching the election results. Please stick to the OP. Thank you.

- Loss Leader
Moderating Team
Responding to this modbox in thread will be off topic Posted By:Loss Leader
Hmmm, I do hope my last post was on topic but if you deem it not to be, my apologies.
Old 14th April 2017, 07:06 PM   #84
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Mumbles View Post
Hm.

The folks I have sympathy for are the folks in rural areas that are struggling. For instance, the folks in West Virginia or Kentucky that were thinking "He's going to bring back coal jobs!" Their anger is misplaced, but I do understand.

Anyone else, no sympathy.
Willful ignorance, but I see your point.
Old 14th April 2017, 07:08 PM   #85
skyeagle409
Master Poster

I have no sympathy for the angry Trump supporters here.

Quote:
Home for recess, lawmakers face fiery town hall crowds on Trump, abortion and more

WASHINGTON -- Lawmakers are home for a two-week recess, which means they are coming in for another round of anger over Washington’s recent actions and inaction.

In Mesa, Arizona, Republican Sen. Jeff Flake weathered two-and-a-half hours of fury over everything from President Trump’s pricey trips to Mar-a-Lago to the GOP’s attempt to kill Obamacare.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/home-for...tion-and-more/
skyeagle409 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th April 2017, 07:16 PM   #86
Tony Stark
Philosopher

Originally Posted by skyeagle409 View Post
I have no sympathy for the angry Trump supporters here.
I used to live in Mesa but I have since moved. I wish I still lived there so I could have gone and told Jeff Flake what I think. I do still live in Arizona and have called his offices multiple times but I wish I could have said it to his face.

Last edited by Tony Stark; 14th April 2017 at 07:18 PM.
Tony Stark is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th April 2017, 08:54 PM   #87
Apathia
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
How about the ones that still don't know they've been conned? There was one on Fox tonight (gawd Fox is worse than ever) whining about the fact some CA cities have decided to boycott companies that put in bids on building the wall. He's upset that the majority in the country (because Trump lost the popular vote) are taking alternate actions to address Trump's damaging policies.

Nope, no empathy or sympathy for that guy. None.
I spoke only of my snowflake malady. Like I said I still feel sorry for those true believers, even as I felt sorry for my sister and brother-in-law: that she let him continue to abuse her, and that he let her continue to abuse him. Part of me said, they deserved each other, and part of me grieved. (Till she left the mutual abuse via an overdose.)

Please continue to be authentic in your disdain of these fools, at least the ones you can relegate to TV.

"Humans aren't rational creatures but rationalizing creatures."
Author Unknown
Apathia is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th April 2017, 09:08 PM   #88
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Apathia View Post
I spoke only of my snowflake malady. Like I said I still feel sorry for those true believers, even as I felt sorry for my sister and brother-in-law: that she let him continue to abuse her, and that he let her continue to abuse him. Part of me said, they deserved each other, and part of me grieved. (Till she left the mutual abuse via an overdose.)

Please continue to be authentic in your disdain of these fools, at least the ones you can relegate to TV.
I'm so sorry that happened to your sister.
Old 15th April 2017, 12:13 AM   #89
Apathia
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
I'm so sorry that happened to your sister.
Thank you.

Where my sympathy gets dismissed is when the wretch crosses over from the sincere fool to the the ******* troll. The one that gets in your face and tells you how you don't deserve any sympathy for being a "Godless Liberal." Such a person is not the deluded victim of the con, but has a nasty agenda to be hateful.

So yeah, Trump Trolls. I don't feel much sorry for them because they aren't victims but victimizes.

"Humans aren't rational creatures but rationalizing creatures."
Author Unknown
Apathia is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th April 2017, 12:50 AM   #90
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

I feel no sympathy for Trump supporters. It's not like it was ever a secret that he treats people like a petulant toddler bored with his toys. The only question I'd have for them is why did they think they would be different? This predicament we are in is their fault and was entirely predictable.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th April 2017, 05:59 AM   #91
fuelair
Banned

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
I feel no sympathy for Trump supporters. It's not like it was ever a secret that he treats people like a petulant toddler bored with his toys. The only question I'd have for them is why did they think they would be different? This predicament we are in is their fault and was entirely predictable.
They thought it would be different because way too many people always think change will create change. Mostly that is not how it works. This time it is working really hard - just not in the way trumpf voters thought it would. Is interesting watching them squirm now. Their fault, not mine!!!! Their stupidity, not mine!!! Their problem, also mine due to their abject ignorance and stupidity!!!
fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th April 2017, 06:11 AM   #92
fuelair
Banned

Originally Posted by Tony Stark View Post
If Trump didn't realize he was going to face a lot of opposition, he's even dumber than I thought.
Things like trumpf are generally found to be dumber even than we think!!!!
Just naturally very good at making sufficient others want to be stupid like they are!!!!!
fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th April 2017, 04:34 PM   #93
fuelair
Banned

Originally Posted by TheSupermeerkat View Post
Cheeto Benito doesn't think that far ahead.
Cheeto Bandito most likely!!!!
Old 15th April 2017, 05:50 PM   #94
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised

I cannot single out any group of Trump supporters to have less sympathy for than others. I have no sympathy for any of them. They can all go suck a lit stick of dynamite for all I care.

When Republican politicians were young, they were the kids who watched James Bond movies and said "I want to grow up to be just like [insert name of villain here]."
shemp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th April 2017, 06:15 PM   #95
fuelair
Banned

Originally Posted by shemp View Post
I cannot single out any group of Trump supporters to have less sympathy for than others. I have no sympathy for any of them. They can all go suck a lit stick of dynamite for all I care.
Really they should go further and deep throat it!!!Then it goes off and blows chunks!!!!!
Old 15th April 2017, 06:18 PM   #96
fuelair
Banned

Originally Posted by Tony Stark View Post
If Trump didn't realize he was going to face a lot of opposition, he's even dumber than I thought.
Yes, yes he is!!!!
Old 15th April 2017, 06:36 PM   #97
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised

Originally Posted by fuelair View Post
Really they should go further and deep throat it!!!Then it goes off and blows chunks!!!!!
Gee, I don't know why I was being so soft on them.

When Republican politicians were young, they were the kids who watched James Bond movies and said "I want to grow up to be just like [insert name of villain here]."
shemp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th April 2017, 06:57 PM   #98
WilliamSeger
Philosopher

I might have some sympathy for the ones who get sick of winning. I mean, that would suck, wouldn't it?
WilliamSeger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th April 2017, 07:16 PM   #99
Seismosaurus
Philosopher

Originally Posted by logger View Post
Lol
I'll let you figure it out.
Because you don't know?
Old 15th April 2017, 08:05 PM   #100
Regnad Kcin
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Upchurch View Post
Gay Trump voters.
Wasn't aware of this Gay Trump fellow. Do I take it he has better fashion sense than Donald?
Old 15th April 2017, 08:15 PM   #101
Regnad Kcin
Penultimate Amazing

Lol
Lol. You have no answer. Lol.

Lol
Old 16th April 2017, 03:43 AM   #102
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy

Originally Posted by Regnad Kcin View Post
Wasn't aware of this Gay Trump fellow. Do I take it he has better fashion sense than Donald?
Who doesn't?
Old 16th April 2017, 08:01 AM   #103
tyr_13
Penultimate Amazing

I can't say I approve of the overall over the top hate-on here, but there are some considered posts too.
tyr_13 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th April 2017, 08:07 AM   #104
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Lol
He couldn't even get his health care bill through his own party. No Democrat ever even had a chance to vote on it.

It was fun watching him suffer that one Friday afternoon though.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th April 2017, 08:37 AM   #105
The Shrike
Philosopher

I grew up on a farm in a rural backwater of a rust belt town. Today I live in a small town in a white, rural state. I understand Trump voters' frustrations with socioeconomic changes in the US that have left them behind because these people have been my friends, neighbors, and relatives for my entire life.

What I don't understand is why they didn't figure out in the 1980s when the rest of us did that trickle-down economics and deregulation are only a path to prosperity for those already at the top. Instead of thinking about the things that affect them (positively and negatively), they tend to look for blame and there are plenty of outlets on TV and radio serving up a nonstop drumbeat of scapegoats. That's bad enough, but the fact that they fell for Don-the-Con despite the mountains of evidence revealing the kind of person he is I find simply inexcusable. I have no love for the Democrats either for fielding such a lousy candidate but the people who voted for Trump who have much to lose from his presidency and have brought the rest of us down with them? Sorry. No sympathy. I'm reserving all my sympathy for my kids and grandkids.
The Shrike is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th April 2017, 10:45 AM   #106
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Shrike View Post
What I don't understand is why they didn't figure out in the 1980s when the rest of us did that trickle-down economics and deregulation are only a path to prosperity for those already at the top. Instead of thinking about the things that affect them (positively and negatively), they tend to look for blame and there are plenty of outlets on TV and radio serving up a nonstop drumbeat of scapegoats. That's bad enough, but the fact that they fell for Don-the-Con despite the mountains of evidence revealing the kind of person he is I find simply inexcusable.
Gunter Haas, the 'leading British expert,' was a graphologist who advised couples, based on their handwriting characteristics, if they were compatible for marriage. I would submit that couples idiotic enough to do this are probably quite suitable for each other. It's nice when stupid people find love. - Ludovic Kennedy
pgwenthold is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th April 2017, 02:26 PM   #107
skyeagle409
Master Poster

For some Trump supporters, they feel betrayed by Trump.

Quote:
Trump supporters express anger over Syria strike decision

Some of Donald Trump’s most prominent supporters have expressed anger at his decision to launch a missile strike against a Syrian airbase, with many vowing to abandon their support for the US president as a result.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/wires/pa/...-decision.html

For those angry Trump supporters, I would love to play a sympathy tune on my fiddle as their burning anger at Trump rage out of control.
skyeagle409 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th April 2017, 02:58 PM   #108
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by pgwenthold View Post
Excellent!
Old 16th April 2017, 06:26 PM   #109
fuelair
Banned

This sign should be clearly posted in every public place!!! It is that importantly true!!!!!!!!!!
Old 16th April 2017, 06:32 PM   #110
Regnad Kcin
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Upchurch View Post
Who doesn't?
Touche.
Old 16th April 2017, 06:43 PM   #111
fuelair
Banned

Originally Posted by The Shrike View Post
I grew up on a farm in a rural backwater of a rust belt town. Today I live in a small town in a white, rural state. I understand Trump voters' frustrations with socioeconomic changes in the US that have left them behind because these people have been my friends, neighbors, and relatives for my entire life.

What I don't understand is why they didn't figure out in the 1980s when the rest of us did that trickle-down economics and deregulation are only a path to prosperity for those already at the top. Instead of thinking about the things that affect them (positively and negatively), they tend to look for blame and there are plenty of outlets on TV and radio serving up a nonstop drumbeat of scapegoats. That's bad enough, but the fact that they fell for Don-the-Con despite the mountains of evidence revealing the kind of person he is I find simply inexcusable. I have no love for the Democrats either for fielding such a lousy candidate but the people who voted for Trump who have much to lose from his presidency and have brought the rest of us down with them? Sorry. No sympathy. I'm reserving all my sympathy for my kids and grandkids.
First para is fine, second makes them ignorant and deserving of what happened to them. Those who thought being xtian and white would protect them deserve it more than others!!!!!!
Old 16th April 2017, 06:44 PM   #112
fuelair
Banned

Also, NO ONE with a scintilla of sense should have been stupid enough to vote for trumpf no matter what they thought of Clinton!!!!!!!
They should have simply not voted under the circumstances!!!!!! There is no universe in which voting for trumpf made sense!!!!!

Last edited by fuelair; 16th April 2017 at 06:46 PM.
Old 16th April 2017, 06:59 PM   #113
fuelair
Banned

Originally Posted by Polaris View Post
In addition, logger repeatedly claims that "the left" has no power. How do they manage to gum up the works all the time if that's really the case?
Mad skillz- We haz 'em!!!
Old 16th April 2017, 08:03 PM   #114
Mumbles
Philosopher

lol!

Truthfully, that guy and me should be working together.

ETA: also, how do I fix this pic?

Last edited by Mumbles; 16th April 2017 at 08:06 PM.
Mumbles is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th April 2017, 09:09 PM   #115
Wayward son
Muse

I have a friend whose parents were Trump supporters, but since the election have come to regret their vote. If they lost their ACA it would be devastating and they know that. At the same time you can guarantee that they will vote for Trump next time if he is the Republican candidate on the ballot, as they will believe every lie spread by conspiracy theorists and fake news sites about the Democrats. It is a bit bizarre to recognize that your "guy" is a POS outside of election cycles, but then be scared back into supporting and voting for your abuser because you believe the other side wants to let grown men pee in the women's washroom etc. I want to feel sympathy for them, but I find it very hard.

Last edited by Wayward son; 16th April 2017 at 10:39 PM.
Wayward son is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th April 2017, 07:49 AM   #116
fuelair
Banned

Originally Posted by Wayward son View Post
I have a friend whose parents were Trump supporters, but since the election have come to regret their vote. If they lost their ACA it would be devastating and they know that. At the same time you can guarantee that they will vote for Trump next time if he is the Republican candidate on the ballot, as they will believe every lie spread by conspiracy theorists and fake news sites about the Democrats. It is a bit bizarre to recognize that your "guy" is a POS outside of election cycles, but then be scared back into supporting and voting for your abuser because you believe the other side wants to let grown men pee in the women's washroom etc. I want to feel sympathy for them, but I find it very hard.
I fear I have no sympathy at all for their ilk. It is, however a damned big shame that all of us get the terrible results of their votes!!!!!!!!
Old 17th April 2017, 08:41 AM   #117
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by Mumbles View Post
Yeah, that is true, and I don't want to say that they're correct. I've said this before, even though I got a Masters in engineering - I got lucky. And so are they. I'm trying to say "yeah, bad vote...but I do get where you're coming from."

But compare to that woman who voted for Trump, even though her husband was an illegal immigrant. I feel bad for her husband, and definitely for their children. I think we can agree, having your father get yolked up by ICE is no good. But for her? None at all.
Well maybe she was just trying to get rid of him with out the problems of divorce. I mean she voted over his stand to get rid of immigrants like her husband. So the deportation of him was clearly desirable in her view.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th April 2017, 12:05 PM   #118
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

I think I'm feeling the least sympathy for the ones on this forum.
Old 19th April 2017, 10:06 AM   #119
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Another group of Trump supporters who are going to be hit hard by some of Trump's plans...

Voters in Kentucky and other areas who voted for Trump, who currently benefit from millions of dollars from the Appalachian Regional Commission but may see the funding ended. (Sort of related to the coal miners, but broader in scope.)

From: http://www.salon.com/2017/03/17/trum...him-in-office/
Just look at how his budget proposes to save $340 million by cutting funds to the Appalachian Regional Commission (ARC) and the U.S. Economic Development Administration....The ARC is particularly important, as it works to diversify the economies in areas hard-hit by the faltering coal industry. ...Of the 420 counties in which ARC operates, 400 of them voted for Trump over Clinton...The president appeared to shrug off the devastating impact his policies will have on his own base during a Fox News interview this week.

I'm Mary Poppins Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th April 2017, 09:13 PM   #120
Yalius
Muse

The white supremacists. Duh. They can take a running dive into a swimming pool filled with double-edged razor blades for all I care.

Last edited by Yalius; 24th April 2017 at 09:14 PM.
Yalius is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics