IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags !MOD BOX WARNING! , donald trump , George Papadopoulos , Paul Manafort , Robert Mueller , Trump controversies , Trump-Russia connections

Closed Thread
Old 29th October 2017, 02:12 AM   #81
Aridas
Crazy Little Green Dragon

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
[related sidetrack] The mods gave a slew of yellow cards to some of us for being off topic in a Trump thread. A number of people didn't realize they were off topic. This thread is ripe for people not knowing what belongs here and what belongs in the Trump and all things Russia thread.

The hypothesis put forward did not help clarify what would be off topic in this thread; it was too far-fetched to be relatable. [/end related sidetrack]
As I said, it depends on what the charges are. If you need more than that, the easy answer is that until the charges are announced, speculation about what they might be is entirely on topic. After they're announced, what's actually relevant then will depend on what they actually are. Likely, speculation about potential related future charges will also be considered on topic to a fair degree, too.
Old 29th October 2017, 04:27 AM   #82
Minoosh
Penultimate Amazing

The New Yorker also came up with this:

How Ivanka Trump and Donald Trump, Jr, avoided a criminal indictment

It's about a condo deal - there's evidence the Trumps inflated the occupancy rate to make people think the units were selling quickly. It was a New York state case. Ultimately the district attorney said there was not enough evidence to prosecute. That same district attorney was receiving political donations from the Trumps' lawyer. (Which he supposedly returned.) There was one Russian invested in the deal who had earlier been a violent racketeer.

No, I doubt it's in the scope of Mueller's investigation, and it's a state case anyway. I'm putting this in the Mueller thread, just because it shows a pretty close brush with the law on the part of the Trump kids, and because one partner was a violent ex-Soviet racketeer. It shows a small part of the pattern in the Trump Organization, of dodgy Russian partners and deceptive marketing.

ETA: I'm under the impression that Mueller has pretty broad powers regarding the investigation.

Last edited by Minoosh; 29th October 2017 at 04:57 AM. Reason: nitpick
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 29th October 2017, 04:35 AM   #83
Minoosh
Penultimate Amazing

I'm up late because I can't sleep, but Trump might be firing up his Twitter thingy pretty soon to trash Mueller, claim it's fake news and tie this to crooked Hillary.

If he hasn't already.

ETA: According to Fox News, Mueller is facing pressure from Republicans to resign.

Also WSJ editorial board:
Quote:
It is no slur against Mr. Mueller’s integrity to say that he lacks the critical distance to conduct a credible probe of the bureau he ran for a dozen years. He could best serve the country by resigning to prevent further political turmoil over that conflict of interest.”
When he was appointed wasn't everyone praising his rock-solid integrity? Newt Gingrich called him a "superb choice" but soon after was railing against him. What changed, I wonder.

Last edited by Minoosh; 29th October 2017 at 04:49 AM.
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 29th October 2017, 05:38 AM   #84
applecorped
Banned

whatever the consensus is here the opposite will usually happen
applecorped is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 29th October 2017, 06:25 AM   #85
Minoosh
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by applecorped View Post
whatever the consensus is here the opposite will usually happen
What would the opposite be? I'm not sure I see a consensus - do you?
Old 29th October 2017, 07:23 AM   #86
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Minoosh View Post
I'm up late because I can't sleep, but Trump might be firing up his Twitter thingy pretty soon to trash Mueller, claim it's fake news and tie this to crooked Hillary.

If he hasn't already.

ETA: According to Fox News, Mueller is facing pressure from Republicans to resign.

Also WSJ editorial board:

When he was appointed wasn't everyone praising his rock-solid integrity? Newt Gingrich called him a "superb choice" but soon after was railing against him. What changed, I wonder.
What changed was that there turned out to be something to find.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 29th October 2017, 07:27 AM   #87
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

The tweet storm has begun. He's pulling out the Uranium canard and blathering on about e-mails. He seems very unhappy; clearly this is causing him a great deal of suffering. I do so enjoy it when Donald Trump suffers.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 29th October 2017, 07:30 AM   #88
BobTheCoward
Banned

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
The tweet storm has begun. He's pulling out the Uranium canard and blathering on about e-mails. He seems very unhappy; clearly this is causing him a great deal of suffering. I do so enjoy it when Donald Trump suffers.
Has anyone ever asked why he tweets this rather than calling sessions and giving an order?
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 29th October 2017, 07:56 AM   #89
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by BobTheCoward View Post
Has anyone ever asked why he tweets this rather than calling sessions and giving an order?
Because for all his faults Sessions would probably do the right thing and say no. The president ordering an investigation into his opponent is probably too far even for our current AG.
Old 29th October 2017, 08:10 AM   #90
BobTheCoward
Banned

Because for all his faults Sessions would probably do the right thing and say no. The president ordering an investigation into his opponent is probably too far even for our current AG.
Ordering because he suspects a crime has been committed. If he thought Clinton murdered someone it wouldn't be an inappropriate call.
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 29th October 2017, 08:35 AM   #91
Stacko
Penultimate Amazing

There was also a tinge of, "Will no one rid me of this meddlesome priest?" to it. There's also this observation on the thing:
Why does it takes Trump so long to finish a thought on Twitter? He averages 8 minutes between tweets that are part of the same sentence.
Stacko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 29th October 2017, 08:46 AM   #92
CapelDodger
Penultimate Amazing

It does warm the cockles, don't it?

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...-middle-finger

God can make a cow out of a tree, but has He ever done so? Therefore show some reason why a thing is so, or cease to hold that it is so - William of Conches, c1150
CapelDodger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 29th October 2017, 09:03 AM   #93
Childlike Empress
Banned

Originally Posted by Minoosh View Post
What changed, I wonder.

That he's now investigating the FBI.

Originally Posted by Stacko View Post

Putin morses this stuff over a chain of satellites.
Childlike Empress is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 29th October 2017, 09:26 AM   #94
sunmaster14
Penultimate Amazing

There was also a tinge of, "Will no one rid me of this meddlesome priest?" to it. There's also this observation on the thing:
Why does it takes Trump so long to finish a thought on Twitter? He averages 8 minutes between tweets that are part of the same sentence.
It's a technique to attract more attention by generating suspense. I
sunmaster14 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 29th October 2017, 09:30 AM   #95
sunmaster14
Penultimate Amazing

do
sunmaster14 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 29th October 2017, 09:34 AM   #96
sunmaster14
Penultimate Amazing

it
Old 29th October 2017, 09:38 AM   #97
sunmaster14
Penultimate Amazing

too.
Old 29th October 2017, 09:38 AM   #98
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Aridas View Post
As I said, it depends on what the charges are. If you need more than that, the easy answer is that until the charges are announced, speculation about what they might be is entirely on topic. After they're announced, what's actually relevant then will depend on what they actually are. Likely, speculation about potential related future charges will also be considered on topic to a fair degree, too.
I'm glad it's so clear to you.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 29th October 2017, 09:39 AM   #99
rwguinn
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by sunmaster14 View Post
do
it
too.
Burma Shave...
I pointed out that his argument was wrong in every particular, but he rightfully took me to task for attacking only the weak points." Myriad http://forums.randi.org/showthread.php?postid=6853275#post6853275
rwguinn is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 29th October 2017, 09:41 AM   #100
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

It just takes a while to peck out a message with those tiny fingers.
Old 29th October 2017, 09:42 AM   #101
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

The answer to that is so easy and not nefarious. It takes him that long to type the message before he hits enter.

Not all of us are fast on those itty bitty phone keyboards.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 29th October 2017, 10:01 AM   #102
carlvs
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by CapelDodger View Post
It does warm the cockles, don't it?

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...-middle-finger
I know this is off topic, but while I greatly admire the bicyclist actions, I am surprised that the Secret Service allowed someone to get that close to the presidential motorcade.

Normally (at least here in Chicago when Obama was visiting,) they usually block ALL other traffic from the segment of the road the motorcade was travelling down (which was always fun during rush hour...)
carlvs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 29th October 2017, 10:11 AM   #103
Mycroft
High Priest of Ed

Originally Posted by Beerina View Post
Are those threads really needed? Why this fetish for bundling many disparate topics under a single thread?
It's for the many people who are interested in the topic, but who don't want to be bothered to check for new threads.
Mycroft is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 29th October 2017, 12:37 PM   #104
LSSBB
Devilish Dictionarian

Suffering? He's in the zone. Attention city.
Old 29th October 2017, 12:59 PM   #105
C_Felix
Master Poster

Originally Posted by LSSBB View Post
I was talking with a few classmates about how to play the victim card.

You need to be able to hook your audience at an emotional level; the whom you are trying to convince that you are the victim. And then, hopefully, your audience will empathize with you.

The commander-in-ept's suffering? He's in the zone?

Sure, he garnering attention, but for the majority of the American population, I doubt he's being able to convince them of the "I'm the one suffering. I'm the victim here"
Old 29th October 2017, 02:04 PM   #106
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Mueller is stealing attention away from Trump, and will continue to do so.
I am convinced that on some level Trump thinks he has to win the media battle about Russia to avoid legal fallout.
Old 29th October 2017, 02:18 PM   #107
BillC
Bazooka Joe

Originally Posted by LSSBB View Post
Ordinarily, I would agree. But this seems different.
BillC is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 29th October 2017, 02:49 PM   #108
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
Mueller is stealing attention away from Trump, and will continue to do so.
I am convinced that on some level Trump thinks he has to win the media battle about Russia to avoid legal fallout. [because Trump has to win everything]
ftfy
Old 29th October 2017, 04:38 PM   #109
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

I wonder if they serve nothingburgers in the chow line at Club Fed.
Old 29th October 2017, 05:07 PM   #110
TheL8Elvis
Philosopher

8d checkers ...
Old 29th October 2017, 07:55 PM   #111
fuelair
Banned

Originally Posted by NoahFence View Post
I think you should start a thread detailing what those are in your view and how they relate to the current moron in chief.
Excellent question that!!!!! I wondered that myself!
fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 29th October 2017, 10:45 PM   #112
Minoosh
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Childlike Empress View Post
That he's now investigating the FBI.
Wonder if he could recuse himself on that issue, with someone else independently pursuing the FBI angle.

Leads on Hillary or the Dems should also be pursued, IMO. No credibility otherwise. But then she was not on national TV encouraging Russia to hack U.S. computers.
Old 30th October 2017, 02:52 AM   #113
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

The FBI could do with an app that sends an alert when arrests are made.
Sideroxylon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 30th October 2017, 04:23 AM   #114
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by logger View Post
Well, it’s simply fun to watch the reactions of people who couldn’t care less about the law. They ask for a serious answer when it’s quite obvious when one is just having a little fun with their emotions.
I know you're trolling, I'm asking you to answer my question: do you think your amusement in these matters is more important than the government doing a good job and protecting its citizens? This should be a simple yes or no.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 30th October 2017, 04:30 AM   #115
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Umm, I don't think you need a judge for an arrest warrant, the prosecuting attorneys issue official charges. And it's pretty easy for the prosecutor to get a Grand Jury to indict. They present a case with no defense allowed. No one is there to object to evidence or questioning.
In NY the foreperson of the jury takes the charges the grand jury found to a judge for the official indictment.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 30th October 2017, 04:31 AM   #116
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by Aridas View Post
Depends on what the charges actually are. The Trumps (plural) helping the Iranian Guard launder money through the Trump Tower in Azerbaijan, for example, would likely not be as much about Trump's relationships to Russia. The President himself is nigh immune to charges, but the rest of the family is not.
That is legally unclear. The laws on the president to not explicitly say one way or the other and it has never been put to legal challenge to establish precedent. Ken Starr seemed to think you could indict a sitting president.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 30th October 2017, 04:34 AM   #117
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

You are conflating things.

Criminal Charges: How Cases Get Started
Note "some".
This would be something that depends on the state and the laws involved.
Old 30th October 2017, 05:00 AM   #118
Travis
Misanthrope of the Mountains

Looks like it will be Manafort and Rick Gates.

Travis is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 30th October 2017, 05:01 AM   #119
TellyKNeasuss
Illuminator

NY Times says that Paul Manafort and Rick Gates will be charged.

TellyKNeasuss is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 30th October 2017, 05:13 AM   #120
Belz...
Fiend God

Who's Rick Gates? What'd I miss?

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Closed Thread

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics