IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags !MOD BOX WARNING! , donald trump , George Papadopoulos , Paul Manafort , Robert Mueller , Trump controversies , Trump-Russia connections

Closed Thread
Old 30th October 2017, 07:17 AM   #161
Stacko
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Argumemnon View Post
Who's Rick Gates? What'd I miss?
Here's a profile of him.

Quote:
Rick Gates, the longtime lobbying partner of ousted Trump campaign chairman Paul Manafort, is still making multiple visits to the White House—even though the Trump administration has sought to distance itself from Manafort.

Manafort may be under investigation for alleged Russia ties, and thus persona non grata at the Trump White House. However, his top deputy Gates—who also worked on behalf of Russian interests—has managed to wedge himself back into Trump-world. having landed a sweet new gig with one of President Donald Trump’s best and wealthiest friends.

After leaving the Trump-boosting nonprofit America First Policies in March—as former FBI Director James Comey officially announced an investigation into alleged ties between the Trump campaign team and Russian officials—Gates is now working directly for Tom Barrack, according to eight sources in and around the Trump White House.
Stacko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 30th October 2017, 07:23 AM   #162
Stacko
Penultimate Amazing

George Papadopoulos was also indicted. You might remember him as the Trump aide that tried to set up a meeting with Putin during the campaign.

Quote:
George Papadopoulos was a campaign adviser for President Donald Trump. According to The Chicago Tribune, Papadopoulos sent emails to seven campaign officials during the 2016 election with the subject line:”Meeting with Russian Leadership — Including Putin.”

The Chicago Tribune adds that Papadopoulos’ proposal “sent a ripple” through the President’s campaign headquarters, many of whom feared that it was a possible violation of U.S.*sanctions against Russia and of the Logan Act,*which forbids U.S. citizens from unauthorized negotiation with foreign governments.
They're going to end up using the Iran-Contra defense, "Our Alzheimer's addled President had no idea what his underlings were doing!"
Stacko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 30th October 2017, 07:23 AM   #163
uke2se
Penultimate Amazing

Reading the indictment the Russia connection is rather obvious, as it is about financial ties between Manafort and his associates and Yanukovic and the Party of Regions in the Ukraine - a man and a party with heavy backing from Putin. There's nothing in the indictment to implicate Trump, but what is there will probably worry the Cheeto Supreme, as it's about money-laundering and illicit business practices which is what has been put forth as possible charges against the big man himself.

"If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. " Karl Popper, The Open Society and Its Enemies Vol. 1
uke2se is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 30th October 2017, 07:24 AM   #164
Stacko
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Stacko View Post
George Papadopoulos was also indicted. You might remember him as the Trump aide that tried to set up a meeting with Putin during the campaign.

They're going to end up using the Iran-Contra defense, "Our Alzheimer's addled President had no idea what his underlings were doing!"
Trump campaign adviser George Papadopoulos's false statements to the FBI are directly related to Russian interference
Old 30th October 2017, 07:28 AM   #165
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by uke2se View Post
There's nothing in the indictment to implicate Trump, but what is there will probably worry the Cheeto Supreme, as it's about money-laundering and illicit business practices which is what has been put forth as possible charges against the big man himself.
It shouldn't worry him. There is zero chance the Democrats will be able to leverage anything in these indictments back to Trump in any usable way.

Mueller could literally show a video of Putin himself handing a giant cartoon money bag with a dollar sign on it to him while shouting "THIS IS FOR FIXING THE ELECTION FOR TRUMP! TO REPEAT THIS IS AN ILLEGAL BRIBE THAT I, PUTIN, AM GIVING YOU, MUELLER, TO FIX THE ELECTION FOR TRUMP!" during the Halftime Show of the Superbowl and Democrats would find a way to not make that stick.
Old 30th October 2017, 07:28 AM   #166
TheL8Elvis
Philosopher

https://assets.documentcloud.org/doc...nt-Offense.pdf

ETA: he plead guilty ....

Last edited by TheL8Elvis; 30th October 2017 at 07:31 AM.
TheL8Elvis is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 30th October 2017, 07:29 AM   #167
uke2se
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by JoeBentley View Post
It shouldn't worry him. There is zero chance the Democrats will be able to leverage anything in these indictments back to Trump in any usable way.

Mueller could literally show a video of Putin himself handing a giant cartoon money bag with a dollar sign on it to him while shouting "THIS IS FOR FIXING THE ELECTION FOR TRUMP! TO REPEAT THIS IS AN ILLEGAL BRIBE THAT I, PUTIN, AM GIVING YOU, MUELLER, TO FIX THE ELECTION FOR TRUMP!" during the Halftime Show of the Superbowl and Democrats would find a way to not make that stick.
Thankfully, that would be a criminal case and not a political one.

"If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. " Karl Popper, The Open Society and Its Enemies Vol. 1
uke2se is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 30th October 2017, 07:31 AM   #168
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Then he would have even less to worry bout.
Old 30th October 2017, 07:32 AM   #169
uke2se
Penultimate Amazing

It's a hard sell to any voter-base getting them to vote for a president that has a sword of Damocles hanging over him in the form of a criminal prosecution the day he steps out of office.

Old 30th October 2017, 07:34 AM   #170
uke2se
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by TheL8Elvis View Post
That's interesting. That's verified collusion between Russia and the Trump campaign.

Nothingburger, anyone?

Old 30th October 2017, 07:37 AM   #171
TheL8Elvis
Philosopher

https://twitter.com/RealPressSecBot/...07161159069697

Last edited by TheL8Elvis; 30th October 2017 at 07:47 AM.
TheL8Elvis is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 30th October 2017, 07:38 AM   #172
Stacko
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by NoahFence View Post
But..but..but...

Her emails!
That's basically what Trump's tweeting while lying about the timeframe of Manafort's crimes and his involvement with the campaign.
Old 30th October 2017, 07:40 AM   #173
Stacko
Penultimate Amazing

Coincidences are fun:
The FBI interview where Papadopolous lied about his Russia contacts came on the same day, Jan. 27, Trump asked Comey for a loyalty pledge.
Old 30th October 2017, 07:40 AM   #174
CapelDodger
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by C_Felix View Post
No twitter tirade yet.
I am confused.
Trump may actually have been persuaded that, since none of the charges relate to him or the campaign, he really should keep his mouth shut on the subject. Like the man already said, Manafort? Do I know him?

Back to Clinton.

God can make a cow out of a tree, but has He ever done so? Therefore show some reason why a thing is so, or cease to hold that it is so - William of Conches, c1150
CapelDodger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 30th October 2017, 07:47 AM   #175
Stacko
Penultimate Amazing

Old 30th October 2017, 07:53 AM   #176
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

https://assets.documentcloud.org/doc...ctment-OCR.pdf

COUNT TEN
(Unregistered Agent Of A Foreign Principal)

COUNT ELEVEN
(False and Misleading FARA Statements)
I think these are aimed at Flynn, a reminder that Mueller is coming for him.
And he, of course, is the link to Obstruction of Justice charges.
Old 30th October 2017, 07:54 AM   #177
CapelDodger
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Don View Post
I expect a full Twitter storm, more outrageous allegations against Hillary, Comey, Mueller and so on, some kind of ramping up against North Korea and picking some kind of nonsensical fight with another group of people to create a smokescreen.
Most of that, but I think Trump may go quiet on Mueller and the investigation for a while. There's plenty to be getting on with in Clinton, the media, renegade Republican senators, footballers and who knows who else Trump will lash out at.

God can make a cow out of a tree, but has He ever done so? Therefore show some reason why a thing is so, or cease to hold that it is so - William of Conches, c1150
CapelDodger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 30th October 2017, 07:55 AM   #178
BobTheCoward
Banned

There is something funny about this Trump tweet.

Quote:
Sorry, but this is years ago, before Paul Manafort was part of the Trump campaign. But why aren't Crooked Hillary & the Dems the focus?????
People have a nasty habit of losing track of time. Trump announced he was running for president 2 years and 4 months ago. He hired manafort 19 months ago. The last crime manafort committed is alleged 3 years ago.
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 30th October 2017, 07:57 AM   #179
TheL8Elvis
Philosopher

Seth Abramson with interesting timeline that fleshes out Page, Papadopoulos ...

https://mobile.twitter.com/SethAbram...50485277380615
(THREAD) This is a picture of one of the biggest moments in the Trump-Russia scandal—and no one has reported on it until now. Please SHARE.
Old 30th October 2017, 08:01 AM   #180
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Originally Posted by BobTheCoward View Post
There is something funny about this Trump tweet.

People have a nasty habit of losing track of time. Trump announced he was running for president 2 years and 4 months ago. He hired manafort 19 months ago. The last crime manafort committed is alleged 3 years ago.
come on!
Everyone knows that a Foreign Agent stops being a Foreign Agent the moment he runs a presidential campaign.
I mean, why would his handlers want him anywhere near a possible future president?
Old 30th October 2017, 08:16 AM   #181
CapelDodger
Penultimate Amazing

This story-arc shows promise.

Old 30th October 2017, 08:17 AM   #182
C_Felix
Master Poster

What did the President know and when did he know it?
Old 30th October 2017, 08:24 AM   #183
Childlike Empress
Banned

Originally Posted by Hlafordlaes View Post
From another article on your fantastic link:

Oh, horror! Vlad's white kool-aid buddies in danger!

If the primitive ad hominem helps you to ignore that the talking head is buddy with the people he's "reporting" on, fine for you. Keep the bubble up.
Childlike Empress is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 30th October 2017, 08:33 AM   #184
Arcade22
Philosopher

Quote:
WASHINGTON — A professor with close ties to the Russian government told an adviser to Donald Trump’s presidential campaign in April 2016 that Moscow had “dirt” on Hillary Clinton in the form of “thousands of emails,” according to court documents unsealed Monday.

The adviser, George Papadopoulos, has pleaded guilty to lying to the F.B.I. about that conversation. The plea represents the most explicit evidence connecting the Trump campaign to the Russian government’s meddling in last year’s election.

Mr. Papadopoulos repeatedly tried to arrange a meeting between the Trump campaign and Russian government officials, court records show. Attempts to reach Mr. Papadopoulos were not successful.

Mr. Papadopoulos told the F.B.I. in January that the professor was “a nothing.” But Mr. Papadopoulos now acknowledges that he knew the professor had “substantial connections to Russian government officials.”

The United States government has concluded that Russia hacked Democratic email accounts and released thousands of embarrassing emails related to Mrs. Clinton’s campaign. The emails began appearing online in the summer of 2016 and the Trump campaign has repeatedly denied any inside knowledge about that.

Mr. Papadopoulos was one of a small group of foreign policy advisers that Mr. Trump announced in March 2016. Another of the advisers, Carter Page, has met with the F.B.I. about his own meetings with Russians.
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/10/30/u...os-russia.html

Trump must face justice for his crimes against the American people!

And no, Cuba is not a brutal and corrupt dictatorship, and it's definitely less so than Sweden. - dann
Arcade22 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 30th October 2017, 08:35 AM   #185
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by C_Felix View Post
What did the President know and when did he know it?
Even if someone did say something, there's no guarantee that The President was paying attention and even if he was, despite his self-proclaimed best memory in the world, there's significant doubt that he'd be able to remember.
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 30th October 2017, 08:43 AM   #186
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

It's a hard sell to any voter-base getting them to vote for a president that has a sword of Damocles hanging over him in the form of a criminal prosecution the day he steps out of office.

Mebbe.

But I can see how it might be difficult to put twelve jurors in place without at least one of them being a Fox News fed Trump supporter.

No convictions there.

"Ninety percent of the politicians give the other ten percent a bad reputation."
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 30th October 2017, 08:49 AM   #187
Giordano
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Don View Post
Even if someone did say something, there's no guarantee that The President was paying attention and even if he was, despite his self-proclaimed best memory in the world, there's significant doubt that he'd be able to remember.
I would love to see the headline:

"Trump avoids indictment by proving he is mentally incompetent."

subheading:

"Trump says, 'I am hugely incompetent! I am the most incompetent of anyone. I dare Clinton to prove she is anywhere nearly as mentally incompetent as I am!'"
Giordano is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 30th October 2017, 08:53 AM   #188
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Giordano View Post
I would love to see the headline:

"Trump avoids indictment by proving he is mentally incompetent."
Already proved effective in the Iran-Contra affair
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 30th October 2017, 08:55 AM   #189
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by Arcade22 View Post
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/10/30/u...os-russia.html

Trump must face justice for his crimes against the American people!
Clearly a nothingburger. I wonder how our resident Orange Faithful community will spin that.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 30th October 2017, 08:57 AM   #190
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Minoosh View Post

Leads on Hillary or the Dems should also be pursued, IMO. ....
Because they haven't been thoroughly investigated yet.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 30th October 2017, 09:00 AM   #191
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by ponderingturtle View Post
In NY the foreperson of the jury takes the charges the grand jury found to a judge for the official indictment.
This isn't NY.

But that's my last post on this because it'll either be tossed into the hopeless dungeon or split off and anyone can look the information up just like I did.

Prosecutors do not always need a judge to sign arrest warrants and how often does a judge go against a Grand Jury indictment anyway?

This argument is stupid.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 30th October 2017, 09:02 AM   #192
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Childlike Empress View Post
How witty. You'll be in for a couple of more surprises as long as you receive your programming from complicit sources, buddy. Fun to watch, though.
One of Trump's stooges has admitted complicity as starkly as is possible, by pleading guilty.

About those complicit sources...? How very bleakly amusing.
Old 30th October 2017, 09:10 AM   #193
C_Felix
Master Poster

How to make a nothing burger:
Ingredient 1: A campaign adviser pleading guilty lying to the FBI about meeting with Russians to get dirt on Hillary.
Old 30th October 2017, 09:11 AM   #194
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Clearly a nothingburger. I wonder how our resident Orange Faithful community will spin that.
In their shoes I'd call it a politically motivated witch hunt which seeks to turn a molehill of some slight financial oversights relating to people on the far periphery of (indeed barely related to) the Trump Administration into a mountain of corruption relating to Russia.
Old 30th October 2017, 09:12 AM   #195
Meadmaker

Originally Posted by varwoche View Post
One of Trump's stooges has admitted complicity as starkly as is possible, by pleading guilty.

About those complicit sources...? How very bleakly amusing.
And if watching TV has taught me anything, it's that sealed guilty pleas are usually associated with plea bargains, and cooperation with investigators who are chasing bigger fish.

But that could just be wishful thinking on my part.............
Meadmaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 30th October 2017, 09:13 AM   #196
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Meadmaker View Post
And if watching TV has taught me anything, it's that sealed guilty pleas are usually associated with plea bargains, and cooperation with investigators who are chasing bigger fish.

But that could just be wishful thinking on my part.............
No, I think you are spot on.
Old 30th October 2017, 09:19 AM   #197
TellyKNeasuss
Illuminator

From The Hill
Quote:
Prosecutors charged Papadopoulos with lying to investigators about his conversations with a foreign professor who told him that Russians had thousands of emails containing "dirt" on Democratic presidential nominee Hillary Clinton.
So the Trump campaign was aware that the Russians had hacked Hillary's/DNC's emails?

TellyKNeasuss is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 30th October 2017, 09:23 AM   #198
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Trump minion-pundits out in force on the three MSNM broadcasts:

Chris Christie: discussing the illegality of leaking Grand Jury information about the impending indictments. --- I'm not sure leaking an impending indictment equates to leaking GJ information.

All of the regular minion-pundits when asked their opinions, immediately shift to denial and distraction: Hillary, uranium, it was all before the campaign, WH not implicated, not a single word in the indictment that refers to the campaign, charges don't relate to any actions about collusion [they do of course, because Manafort lobbied to get the GOP Platform changed against the Ukraine sanctions]...

Fox news framing: Papadopoulos only admitted lying to the FBI, he didn't admit to any collusion. Fox:"He (Papadopoulos) didn't do anything wrong but he lied about it which was the crime." --- OMG, these Trumpers are going to deny it to the end. Hello, the plea bargain charges are always less than the actual potential charges.

Fox news: There are a whole slew of Russia-gate issues, Mueller needs to look at both sides, no evidence Mueller is looking at both sides...

which they immediately contradicted saying he was:

Another pundit: Mueller is investigating Podesta and Podesta's company's involvement in the uranium blah blah blah...

Call for Mueller to recuse himself (latest angle to get rid of Mueller) because he has relevant testimony on the "Uranium 1 deal".

And finally, note the framing:

Pundit: "Trump doesn't believe there was any collusion."
As opposed to Trump denies there was any collusion.

The latter implies Trump is denying guilt. The former implies Trump has no involvement and denies knowing about any collusion.

Last edited by Skeptic Ginger; 30th October 2017 at 09:24 AM.
Old 30th October 2017, 09:23 AM   #199
NoahFence
Banned

Originally Posted by TellyKNeasuss View Post
From The Hill

So the Trump campaign was aware that the Russians had hacked Hillary's/DNC's emails?
I thought that was common knowledge. He asked them on camera to produce them.
NoahFence is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 30th October 2017, 09:29 AM   #200
Cleon
King of the Pod People

Don't you find justice important at all? Is it really paramount to just piss your opponents off rather than see the country run properly? I'm asking a serious question here and I would like a serious, detailed answer.
When your only guiding political belief is "liberals suck," it's very easy to adjust.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics