IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags !MOD BOX WARNING! , donald trump , George Papadopoulos , Paul Manafort , Robert Mueller , Trump controversies , Trump-Russia connections

Closed Thread
Old 24th May 2018, 11:44 AM   #3121
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by plague311 View Post
Right, which I answered by saying, "No, they aren't, they're just low information or spoon fed from Fox." ....
And speaking of that. I've been switching between Fox, CNN and MSNBC for a while. Given they repeat the news about one or three times an hour you see the same "breaking news" on each station. If you are watching Fox it's like watching opposite world, literally.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 24th May 2018, 11:44 AM   #3122
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

how is that a question?

Every year since 1990 the US Public healthcare spending has been greater than the UK as a proportion of GDP. More US Tax goes to healthcare than the UK
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 24th May 2018, 12:35 PM   #3123
Andy_Ross
Penultimate Amazing

Trump tweets

"Not surprisingly, the GREAT Men & Women of the FBI are starting to speak out against Comey, McCabe and all of the political corruption and poor leadership found within the top ranks of the FBI. Comey was a terrible and corrupt leader who inflicted great pain on the FBI! #SPYGATE"
Andy_Ross is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 24th May 2018, 02:05 PM   #3124
Andy_Ross
Penultimate Amazing

My favourite part of Starsky and Hutch was when they went undercover to investigate a crime and then, when they caught the criminal red-handed, he said “You were spying on me!” so Captain Dobey told them to drop all the charges and let them go.
Andy_Ross is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 24th May 2018, 02:15 PM   #3125
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Reporting after the Congressional briefing of Nunes et al today:

MSNBC and CNN: there were no spies, the FBI was looking at Russians interfering in the election, including using an informant while investigating members of Trump campaign who had contact with Russians.

The Clintons were pissed as hell that none of this investigation came out before the election. IOW, how could this have possibly been something to get Trump when the FBI actually protected Trump?

Upside down world, Fox News: Spygate blah blah blah, Nunes announced the same conclusions he had already drawn up before the meeting (prove him wrong, the meeting was secret).

In the meantime, Nunes' fund-raising is scoring big payments, more than a couple million.

Last edited by Skeptic Ginger; 24th May 2018 at 02:17 PM.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 24th May 2018, 03:30 PM   #3126
Ambrosia
Good of the Fods

Originally Posted by logger View Post
It will be interesting to see what he gets.
That's a statement, not a question.

Questions are easy to spot. They have question marks after them.

Some questions are less easy to spot, but you can usually work out what they are by adding a question mark to the end of a sentence and seeing if it reads like a question would.

If you add a question mark to the end of the statement "It will be interesting to see what he gets." it still does not read like a question.

Do you see how this works?
Ambrosia is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 24th May 2018, 04:59 PM   #3127
Cl1mh4224rd
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Emily's Cat View Post
My point is that I think there's a high likelihood that the polling percent is high, not because people are ignorant or willfully delusional, but because they're answering a different question than what is asked.

Your argument is that they just might be a different kind of stupid? Uhh... okay.
Cl1mh4224rd is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 24th May 2018, 07:01 PM   #3128
portlandatheist
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Trump tweets

"Not surprisingly, the GREAT Men & Women of the FBI are starting to speak out against Comey, McCabe and all of the political corruption and poor leadership found within the top ranks of the FBI. Comey was a terrible and corrupt leader who inflicted great pain on the FBI! #SPYGATE"
I hate the orange menace more and more each and every day.
portlandatheist is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 25th May 2018, 01:19 AM   #3129
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

What does papa accepting a plea have to do with the question in my post?
Dude. I mean, come on.
Old 25th May 2018, 01:32 AM   #3130
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

Is SPYGATE catching on yet?
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 25th May 2018, 02:02 AM   #3131
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Originally Posted by a_unique_person View Post
Is SPYGATE catching on yet?
yep.
It's the when the guy Trump just pardoned committed treason by revealing the identity of a CIA operative.
Old 25th May 2018, 03:28 AM   #3132
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

After classified "FBI spy" meeting, McConnell says he has confidence in Mueller
Old 25th May 2018, 05:21 AM   #3133
Regnad Kcin
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by portlandatheist View Post
I hate the orange menace more and more each and every day.
Garbage does turn to rot.
Old 25th May 2018, 05:23 AM   #3134
BobTheCoward
Banned

Originally Posted by Squeegee Beckenheim View Post
And nunes hasn't said anything yet.
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 25th May 2018, 06:04 AM   #3135
NoahFence
Banned

Originally Posted by BobTheCoward View Post
And nunes hasn't said anything yet.
He still has Trump's cock in his holster.
NoahFence is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 25th May 2018, 07:16 AM   #3136
Andy_Ross
Penultimate Amazing

Back to spies for Trump

" The Democrats are now alluding to the the concept that having an Informant placed in an opposing party’s campaign is different than having a Spy, as illegal as that may be. But what about an “Informant” who is paid a fortune and who “sets up” way earlier than the Russian Hoax?"

" “Everyone knows there was a Spy, and in fact the people who were involved in the Spying are admitting that there was a Spy...Widespread Spying involving multiple people.” Mollie Hemingway, The Federalist Senior Editor But the corrupt Mainstream Media hates this monster story!"

"Can anyone even imagine having Spies placed in a competing campaign, by the people and party in absolute power, for the sole purpose of political advantage and gain? And to think that the party in question, even with the expenditure of far more money, LOST!"
Old 25th May 2018, 08:05 AM   #3137
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

There's little that has happened in the last couple of years in US politics that has shocked me, but it's happened today. Here is a statement that Captain Swoop has quoted Trump as making: "And to think that the party in question, even with the expenditure of far more money, LOST!" I fact-checked it and, you know what? It's actually true. There was more money spent on the Clinton campaign than on the Trump campaign. I'm so used to the blanket, pointless lying, that this really stands out.
Old 25th May 2018, 08:34 AM   #3138
LSSBB
Devilish Dictionarian

There's little that has happened in the last couple of years in US politics that has shocked me, but it's happened today. Here is a statement that Captain Swoop has quoted Trump as making: "And to think that the party in question, even with the expenditure of far more money, LOST!" I fact-checked it and, you know what? It's actually true. There was more money spent on the Clinton campaign than on the Trump campaign. I'm so used to the blanket, pointless lying, that this really stands out.
That's because he didn't include the money spent by the networks covering him nonstop.
Old 25th May 2018, 12:27 PM   #3139
Emily's Cat
Rarely prone to hissy-fits

Originally Posted by Cl1mh4224rd View Post
Your argument is that they just might be a different kind of stupid? Uhh... okay.
No. I think it likely that they're answering what they believe the *intent* of the question is, not the literal question itself. It's not uncommon. We've seen plenty of people here who will stick to what they think the intent of a politician's statement is regardless of what the actual words are. This isn't limited to any specific party, it's a trait of humans in general.

That doesn't make one "stupid". It merely makes one normal and not a pedant sucked into a semantic wormhole.
Old 25th May 2018, 12:42 PM   #3140
Aridas
Crazy Little Green Dragon

Originally Posted by LSSBB View Post
That's because he didn't include the money spent by the networks covering him nonstop.
It may be worth noting that it also doesn't even try to include the decades of money and effort spent on very loud Clinton vilification by the GOP nationwide. Trump's procession of frequently much more real problematic behavior has been treated as more of a joke, on the other hand, and has nothing even remotely similar going on.

Last edited by Aridas; 25th May 2018 at 12:45 PM.
Aridas is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 25th May 2018, 12:49 PM   #3141
phiwum
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by LSSBB View Post
To be fair, that bit was kinda smart it turns out. While you and I thought that every stupid comment was pissing his chances away, his voters seemed to eat it up. And it didn't cost him much at all.

So, yeah, that free publicity was not money he spent on the campaign. Maybe it's a shame that it worked so well, but so it goes, evidently.
phiwum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 25th May 2018, 01:26 PM   #3142
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by phiwum View Post
To be fair, that bit was kinda smart it turns out. While you and I thought that every stupid comment was pissing his chances away, his voters seemed to eat it up. And it didn't cost him much at all.
On the other hand, many people think that the media was far too generous towards Trump in that they didn't challenge his "stupid comments" as strongly as they should have at the time, either because it was good ratings or because they wanted to appear impartial.

Take for example the Matt Lauer foreign policy "forum"... Clinton got hammered on the email issue (and got repeatedly interrupted), whereas Trump was given softball questions and never challenged on his obvious lies.

Its not enough just to show Trump saying stupid stuff (and maybe commenting on it later... "how dumb was that"), but they would have needed to actually challenge Trump at the time he said the stupid stuff.

I'm Mary Poppins Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 25th May 2018, 02:32 PM   #3143
phiwum
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
On the other hand, many people think that the media was far too generous towards Trump in that they didn't challenge his "stupid comments" as strongly as they should have at the time, either because it was good ratings or because they wanted to appear impartial.

Take for example the Matt Lauer foreign policy "forum"... Clinton got hammered on the email issue (and got repeatedly interrupted), whereas Trump was given softball questions and never challenged on his obvious lies.

Its not enough just to show Trump saying stupid stuff (and maybe commenting on it later... "how dumb was that"), but they would have needed to actually challenge Trump at the time he said the stupid stuff.
Sure, woulda been nice.
phiwum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th May 2018, 02:19 AM   #3144
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

It's being reported that Trump's legal team want a briefing on the classified information lawmakers were party to yesterday, in order to end Mueller's probe
Old 26th May 2018, 03:06 AM   #3145
Beelzebuddy
Philosopher

"I deserve to know what the DA's got on me!"
- Every guilty scumbag, ever
Beelzebuddy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th May 2018, 12:48 PM   #3146
Andy_Ross
Penultimate Amazing

Trump tweets

"With Spies, or “Informants” as the Democrats like to call them because it sounds less sinister (but it’s not), all over my campaign, even from a very early date, why didn’t the crooked highest levels of the FBI or “Justice” contact me to tell me of the phony Russia problem?"

He lies again. He was warned in 2016 by the FBI that the Russians might be trying to infiltrate and influence his campaign.

calling his own agency crooked?

and

"This whole Russia Probe is Rigged. Just an excuse as to why the Dems and Crooked Hillary lost the Election and States that haven’t been lost in decades. 13 Angry Democrats, and all Dems if you include the people who worked for Obama for 8 years. #SPYGATE & CONFLICTS OF INTEREST!"
Old 26th May 2018, 01:01 PM   #3147
Andy_Ross
Penultimate Amazing

There's more

"When will the 13 Angry Democrats (& those who worked for President O), reveal their disqualifying Conflicts of Interest? It’s been a long time now! Will they be indelibly written into the Report along with the fact that the only Collusion is with the Dems, Justice, FBI & Russia?"
Old 26th May 2018, 01:02 PM   #3148
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

So the FBI And the Democrats are colluding with Russia?

Trump isn't very bright, but he sure knows how to lie to confused and low-information people.

I can see it actually working.

Every year since 1990 the US Public healthcare spending has been greater than the UK as a proportion of GDP. More US Tax goes to healthcare than the UK
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th May 2018, 01:25 PM   #3149
Stacko
Penultimate Amazing

There's more

"When will the 13 Angry Democrats (& those who worked for President O), reveal their disqualifying Conflicts of Interest? It’s been a long time now! Will they be indelibly written into the Report along with the fact that the only Collusion is with the Dems, Justice, FBI & Russia?"
Let me get this straight. The President staffed his campaign with 2 indicted tax frauds/money launderers (one pled guilty already), an agent of a foreign power (Page), and an unregistered foreign agent (Flynn), among other things.

And the scandal is that the FBI was concerned?
Stacko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 27th May 2018, 03:38 AM   #3150
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/sta...11941595553792

Quote:
Mueller's team has obtained a presentation prepared by an Israel-based intel firm that outlines ways in which Trump's election was helped by fake news, social-media accounts, WSJ reports.

The firm’s founder attended that 2nd Don Jr. Trump Tower meeting.
Old 27th May 2018, 03:57 AM   #3151
logger
Banned

Helped? Lol

Hills has claimed she lost because of it!
logger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 27th May 2018, 06:37 AM   #3152
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Helped? Lol

Hills has claimed she lost because of it!
Your post seems to be claiming that the article is understating the effect on the election. Is that accurate?
Old 27th May 2018, 07:07 AM   #3153
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Quote:
President Trump on Sunday said the investigation into Russia's election interference has "destroyed" and "devastated" lives.
I should send Trump a tweet to let him know he really made my day with this.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/polit...cid=spartanntp
Craig4 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 27th May 2018, 07:09 AM   #3154
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

There's more

What are their disqualifying conflicts of interest? Chapter and verse from the CFR please.
Craig4 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 27th May 2018, 07:12 AM   #3155
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
I should send Trump a tweet to let him know he really made my day with this.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/polit...cid=spartanntp
Quote:
"They journeyed down to Washington, D.C., with stars in their eyes and wanting to help our nation...They went back home in tatters!"
He's trying to make us all numb by overwhelming us with stupidity day after day.
Old 27th May 2018, 07:39 AM   #3156
ServiceSoon
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by jimbob View Post
So the FBI And the Democrats are colluding with Russia?

Trump isn't very bright, but he sure knows how to lie to confused and low-information people.

I can see it actually working.
Edited by kmortis:  Removed to comply wuth Rule 11

Originally Posted by Beelzebuddy View Post
"I deserve to know what the DA's got on me!"
- Every guilty scumbag, ever
Irrespective of guilt, Lawyers will invoke discovery, subpoenas, etc so that a legal defense can be organized. Don’t you agree that’s the prudent action you’d take if you were charged with a crime? If it isn’t, please explain what action you would take.

Last edited by kmortis; 4th June 2018 at 09:05 AM.
ServiceSoon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 27th May 2018, 07:47 AM   #3157
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
He's trying to make us all numb by overwhelming us with stupidity day after day.
Liverpoolmiss's take on this over on Badscience:

Originally Posted by liverpoolmiss
Well, I'm baffled.

Anyone able to unpick this?

Anyone?

It's a nice little riddle.

Originally Posted by racistDonaldTrump
Who’s going to give back the young and beautiful lives (and others) that have been devastated and destroyed by the phony Russia Collusion Witch Hunt? They journeyed down to Washington, D.C., with stars in their eyes and wanting to help our nation...They went back home in tatters!
Originally Posted by liverpoolmiss
Young and beautiful = Ivanka? Ivanka and Jared? Melania?

I don't think even the most devoted of fathers would describe Donald Jr and Eric as beautiful.

Can't mean Flynn, surely? Nor Manafort?

There's the young and beautiful Papadopoulos and Carter Page. They had stars in their eyes and a bit of light treason in their hearts.

Old 27th May 2018, 08:03 AM   #3158
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by ServiceSoon View Post

Irrespective of guilt, Lawyers will invoke discovery, subpoenas, etc so that a legal defense can be organized. Don’t you agree that’s the prudent action you’d take if you were charged with a crime? If it isn’t, please explain what action you would take.

By the way, the amount of evidence Mueller has to consider is flooding in. The Trump corruption is so obvious Nunes had to cover up what the House investigation found and block the committee from looking at all the available evidence.

Last edited by kmortis; 4th June 2018 at 09:06 AM.
Old 27th May 2018, 08:08 AM   #3159
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by jimbob View Post
Liverpoolmiss's take on this over on Badscience:
I thought Trump was referring to Hope Hicks.
Old 27th May 2018, 10:30 AM   #3160
Lurch
Master Poster

Originally Posted by ServiceSoon View Post

About that last paragraph... Yes. When charges are laid against him. Has Trump been charged? No? Then he has no business seeing the results of an investigation *in progress.*

Unless he's more 'special' than every other US citizen. Is he above the law?

Last edited by kmortis; 4th June 2018 at 09:06 AM. Reason: Remove superfluous word
Lurch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Closed Thread

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics