IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags !MOD BOX WARNING! , donald trump , George Papadopoulos , Paul Manafort , Robert Mueller , Trump controversies , Trump-Russia connections

Closed Thread
Old 30th October 2017, 02:14 PM   #321
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by sunmaster14 View Post
We've been waiting and seeing for a long time.
No you haven't.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 30th October 2017, 02:20 PM   #322
The Big Dog

Manafort states that the alleged crimes he committed were unrelated to his "five minutes" while with the Trump Campaign.

Statement here:

Those activities ended in 2014
The Big Dog is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 30th October 2017, 02:20 PM   #323
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Minoosh View Post
Quote:
Maybe not. I was thinking of something along the lines of him asking NY "Can you bring them up the following charges? And then we'll release all the charges together, even though some are federal and some are state".
That sounds like collusion. Seriously I think it would be bad form for a federal investigator to attempt to influence state investigations to that level of detail. Investigators need to allow their own cases to ripen each unto its season, following the timetable of meticulous inquiry only.
I'm not sure if 2 levels of government cooperating would count as 'collusion'.

Ok, maybe Meuller wouldn't be able to dictate what charges were laid and when, but he is coordinating with NY (as another poster pointed out), so he and the state AG could still come to an agreement, like: Meuller: "I've got these federal laws I was going to charge them with". State AG: "I've got these broken state laws". Meuller: "Lets coordinate the release schedule".

I'm Mary Poppins Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 30th October 2017, 02:28 PM   #324
Oystein
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
... Meuller ... Meuller ... Meuller ...
It's Mueller.
Old 30th October 2017, 02:34 PM   #325
Oystein
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Big Dog View Post
Manafort states that the alleged crimes he committed were unrelated to his "five minutes" while with the Trump Campaign.

Statement here:

And then Manafort worked for Trump.
For free.

Which raises two obvious questions?
1. Why Manafort?
2. Why for free?

And therein lies quite likely the rub: Manafort worked for Trump because he was already in bed with the Russian, and he may have done it for free because he was already payed by the Russians.

Manafort is in deep deep **** ("to the upper crest of the lower lip", as a German idiom puts it), because Mueller has something to the tune of a $10,000,000 bail-and-still-unfree-to-leave against him. And Manaford has something against Trump.

/Story
Old 30th October 2017, 02:35 PM   #326
sunmaster14
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Oystein View Post
It's Mueller.
Reminds me of "Bueller, ..., Bueller, ... Bueller?"
sunmaster14 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 30th October 2017, 02:37 PM   #327
The Big Dog

For free.

1. Why Manafort?
2. Why for free?

And therein lies quite likely the rub: Manafort worked for Trump because he was already in bed with the Russian, and he may have done it for free because he was already payed by the Russians.

Manafort is in deep deep **** ("to the upper crest of the lower lip", as a German idiom puts it), because Mueller has something to the tune of a $10,000,000 bail-and-still-unfree-to-leave against him. And Manaford has something against Trump.

/Story
Yes, $10 mill bail and home confinement for a white collar case. None dare call it extortion.

Trump is going to pardon him because he is out of ***** to give.
The Big Dog is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 30th October 2017, 02:37 PM   #328
Oystein
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by sunmaster14 View Post
Reminds me of "Bueller, ..., Bueller, ... Bueller?"
That was a fun movie - are we in agreement again??
Old 30th October 2017, 02:37 PM   #329
Minoosh
Penultimate Amazing

Mueller's also quite likely has one or two more talking minions up his sleeve, and he is now putting a pair of slightly bigger minions on house arrest to see who starts talking faster, faced with too much dirt on their lying arses.
Oh, minions are adorable! Trump is just the sort of boss they would love!
Their quest

2:00-6:00

ETA: Good to see if I'm off topic with movie references I'm not alone!

Last edited by Minoosh; 30th October 2017 at 02:42 PM.
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 30th October 2017, 02:37 PM   #330
BobTheCoward
Banned

For free.

1. Why Manafort?
2. Why for free?

/Story
From five thirty-eight today

Quote:
Samantha Power was an unpaid adviser to Obama in 2008. But that doesn’t mean that she wasn’t close to him or that her views did not matter. She become one of his top aides at the White House and then the United Nations ambassador.
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 30th October 2017, 02:39 PM   #331
Belz...
Fiend God

Yes, $10 mill bail and home confinement for a white collar case. None dare call it extortion.

You're giving conservatives a bad name.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 30th October 2017, 02:40 PM   #332
Oystein
Penultimate Amazing

'Cause it ain't.

That would amount to admitting that Trump, personally, knowingly, willingly, maliciously, conspired with the enemy against America and against Democracy.

What is, in the minds of conservatives, the correct punishment for High Treason?
Old 30th October 2017, 02:41 PM   #333
Minoosh
Penultimate Amazing

AKA "law enforcement."

This may actually be true, if personal loyalties remain strong. Wonder how it would affect an obstruction of justice case if Trump tampers with witnesses.
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 30th October 2017, 02:42 PM   #334
Oystein
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by BobTheCoward View Post
From five thirty-eight today
Your point?
Old 30th October 2017, 02:42 PM   #335
applecorped
Banned

We have to be past Peak Trump now
applecorped is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 30th October 2017, 02:42 PM   #336
Emily's Cat
Rarely prone to hissy-fits

Nice to see that phrase passes auto-censor. I've never been sure how bad a word it is in the U.S.
It's not really used all that much. It's kind of frowned upon, but I think it's generally taken as a pretty inoffensive term, more akin to calling someone an idiot... only a bit more colorful.
Old 30th October 2017, 02:43 PM   #337
Meadmaker

'Cause it ain't.

That would amount to admitting that Trump, personally, knowingly, willingly, maliciously, conspired with the enemy against America and against Democracy.

What is, in the minds of conservatives, the correct punishment for High Treason?
Pet peeve. The constitution defines treason, and it does so for a reason. Things that don't fit the definition are not treason.

Whatever Trump, Manafort, et. al. did or did not do, they didn't commit treason.
Meadmaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 30th October 2017, 02:43 PM   #338
NoahFence
Banned

Well, if it was for only 5 minutes that's OK?

Five minutes is plenty of time to commit a felony!

Also this "5 minute" claim is becoming a meme among Trump apologists.
Their spoon fed talking points.
NoahFence is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 30th October 2017, 02:44 PM   #339
The Big Dog

Originally Posted by Argumemnon View Post
You're giving conservatives a bad name.
Oh dear, it would appear that I have an admirer.

Here is a tweet for people who are interested in learning more about the facts I posted:

https://twitter.com/renato_mariotti/...64190280323072
Old 30th October 2017, 02:44 PM   #340
Childlike Empress
Banned

Organized crime. Gangsters at the highest level in Trump's circles, possible including some still in the White House. Trump himself may be immune, but his kids? I'm not so sure.

There's gangsters and organized crime everywhere at the top level of (not only) US government, including Mueller who has a lot of skeletons in his closet not least covering up for international networks post-9/11. It's anybodies guess where this tumbling abomination will turn next, but the fact that Trump is now closing in on one year after election, untouched by anything but a cacaphony of pre$$titute noise, shows that if there's mayor dirt on him, it can't be untangled without bringing the whole House of Cards down.
Childlike Empress is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 30th October 2017, 02:46 PM   #341
NoahFence
Banned

'Cause it ain't.

No punishment as far as these "patriots" are concerned.
NoahFence is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 30th October 2017, 02:46 PM   #342
Oystein
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Meadmaker View Post
Pet peeve. The constitution defines treason, and it does so for a reason. Things that don't fit the definition are not treason.

Whatever Trump, Manafort, et. al. did or did not do, they didn't commit treason.
This may or may not be so, but doesn't really touch upon my question: What conservatives feel is the correct punishment for someone conspiring with the enemy against America and against Democracy.

Like, whatabout ... if Obama actually were a muslim and had created ISIS?
Old 30th October 2017, 02:49 PM   #344
Oystein
Penultimate Amazing

Oh dear, it would appear that I have an admirer.

Here is a tweet for people who are interested in learning more about the facts I posted:

https://twitter.com/renato_mariotti/...64190280323072
Your point?

"Typically there is no..."
You are surely not suggesting that conspiring with the enemy to sell America to a buffoon for personal enrichment is "typical" white collar crime?
Old 30th October 2017, 02:49 PM   #345
phiwum
Penultimate Amazing

I don't recall who suggested this, but someone in this forum once said that Mueller's investigation leaks like a sieve. Since nothing relevant has leaked, nothing could be there.

As it turns out, it turns out that they did not leak the guilty plea of Papa... this isn't a good argument. Mueller seems to be running a right team.
phiwum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 30th October 2017, 02:50 PM   #346
Oystein
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Childlike Empress View Post
There's gangsters and organized crime everywhere at the top level of (not only) US government, including Mueller who has a lot of skeletons in his closet not least covering up for international networks post-9/11. It's anybodies guess where this tumbling abomination will turn next, but the fact that Trump is now closing in on one year after election, untouched by anything but a cacaphony of pre$$titute noise, shows that if there's mayor dirt on him, it can't be untangled without bringing the whole House of Cards down.
You watch stupid YT channels.
Old 30th October 2017, 02:51 PM   #347
BobTheCoward
Banned

Your point?
My point is there is an equally good reason to work for free for a campaign.
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 30th October 2017, 02:51 PM   #348
Emily's Cat

Who's being charged with high treason?
Old 30th October 2017, 02:52 PM   #349
Oystein
Penultimate Amazing

My point is there is an equally good reason to work for free for a campaign.
Evidence suggests it doesn't apply to Manafort. At all.
Old 30th October 2017, 02:53 PM   #350
Oystein
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Emily's Cat View Post
Who's being charged with high treason?
Try reading for comprehension: You just posted a strawman.
Old 30th October 2017, 02:54 PM   #351
BobTheCoward
Banned

Evidence suggests it doesn't apply to Manafort. At all.
Nor is there evidence he did it for free because he was already getting paid by the Russians.

I'm not even sure how you can say evidence suggests it doesn't apply. What evidence?

Last edited by BobTheCoward; 30th October 2017 at 02:57 PM.
Old 30th October 2017, 02:54 PM   #352
crescent
Philosopher

Originally Posted by phiwum View Post
Mueller seems to be running a right team.
This alone suggests to me that this is not politics as normal in Washington.

Were this really a witch hunt, leaks would be used to discredit and disparage the people being investigated, in lieu of actual prosecution. Instead, this seems to be running like an actual investigation by people who think something is there and are looking for convictions.
crescent is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 30th October 2017, 02:58 PM   #353
Oystein
Penultimate Amazing

Nor is there evidence he did it for free because he was already getting paid by the Russians.
I freely admit that my interpretation of current events, including but by no means limited to the fact that $10,000,000 bail only buy him house arrest, is somewhat speculative at the moment - but chances are very much higher that Manafort will sing like a bird about how he personally profited from assisting Trump in(to) colluding with the enemy than that he did it for a nice post at the UN.
Old 30th October 2017, 02:59 PM   #354
TheL8Elvis
Philosopher

Statement here:

Because the word of Manaforts is attorney is to be taken as gospel, and is not self-serving in the least.
Old 30th October 2017, 03:02 PM   #355
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Stacko View Post
Quote:
35. On July 27, 2017, defendant PAPADOPOULOS was arrested upon his arrival at
Dulles International Airport. Following his arrest, defendant PAPADOPOULOS met with the
Government on numerous occasions to provide information and answer questions.
Can you say "singing like a canary", boys and girls? I knew you could!

Also of interest, Ken "Popehat" White lawsplains the indictments and Papa's plea.
Old 30th October 2017, 03:03 PM   #356
Emily's Cat

Try reading for comprehension: You just posted a strawman.
I asked you a question about your post. I didn't even make an argument. I have no idea what this response is supposed to mean. Are you saying that your post was a strawman?
Old 30th October 2017, 03:05 PM   #357
Emily's Cat

Originally Posted by crescent View Post
This alone suggests to me that this is not politics as normal in Washington.

Were this really a witch hunt, leaks would be used to discredit and disparage the people being investigated, in lieu of actual prosecution. Instead, this seems to be running like an actual investigation by people who think something is there and are looking for convictions.
What's the appropriate term for a case where leaks are used to discredit and disparage people being investigate in addition to actual prosecution?
Old 30th October 2017, 03:06 PM   #358
Oystein
Penultimate Amazing

I asked you a question about your post. I didn't even make an argument. I have no idea what this response is supposed to mean. Are you saying that your post was a strawman?
The question appeared loaded. I neither claimed, nor implied, nor insinuated, that anyone is charged for high treason. The question has no bearing on what I asked.
Old 30th October 2017, 03:07 PM   #359
Oystein
Penultimate Amazing

What's the appropriate term for a case where leaks are used to discredit and disparage people being investigate in addition to actual prosecution?
Another loaded question
Old 30th October 2017, 03:22 PM   #360
Childlike Empress
Banned

You watch stupid YT channels.

You mean I have excellent sources, because by now what I told the people here more than five years ago about Syria, not least based on Sibel Edmonds' early reports from the sources she got through her whistleblower association, is now since a couple of days admitted from the horses mouth, and you have not even heard about it because your sources you even pay for don't want you to know.
Childlike Empress is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Closed Thread

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics