IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Clinton controversies , hillary clinton

Old 20th April 2018, 11:22 AM   #81
Slings and Arrows
Graduate Poster

Hillary Clinton said on election night ‘They were never going to let me be president’

Quote:
“I knew it. I knew this would happen to me,” she said. “They were never going to let me be president.”

They were the vast-right wing conspiracy. They were the patriarchy. They were the people of Wisconsin and James Comey. They were white suburban women...

They were Facebook algorithms and data breaches. They were Fake News drummed up by Vladimir Putin’s army. They were shadowy hackers who stole her campaign chairman’s emails...

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/04/20/s...g-hillary.html (April 20, 2018)

And last but not least, "they" were the 62,979,879 American voters who didn't like or trust the annoying old hag and joyfully kicked her pantsuit clad rear end to the curb.
Slings and Arrows is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st April 2018, 11:38 AM   #82
Slings and Arrows
Graduate Poster

Quote:
Review of 'Chasing Hillary: Ten Years, Two Presidential Campaigns, and One Intact Glass Ceiling' by Amy Chozick

“Bernie’s supporters, Republicans, and garden-variety Hillary haters always told me it wasn’t about gender,” Chozick writes. “They’d vote for a woman, just not THAT woman. . . . I wanted to scream at every critic that thirty years of sexist attacks had turned her into that woman. That sooner or later, the higher we climb, the harder we work, we all become that woman.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.2f4f10cc142a (April 20, 2018)

"I want to say one thing to the American people. I want you to listen to me, I'm going to say this again. I did not have sexual relations with that woman." -- Bill Clinton
Slings and Arrows is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st April 2018, 12:52 PM   #83
Childlike Empress
Banned

Childlike Empress is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st April 2018, 05:37 PM   #84
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by Childlike Empress View Post

Is the Hillary campaign suing someone?

Or is the cartoonist (and the poster) confused about the difference between the Hillary campaign and the DNC?

"Ninety percent of the politicians give the other ten percent a bad reputation."
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st April 2018, 05:47 PM   #85
logger
Banned

Originally Posted by Slings and Arrows View Post
"I want to say one thing to the American people. I want you to listen to me, I'm going to say this again. I did not have sexual relations with that woman." -- Bill Clinton
Unbelievable isn’t it? A literall sexual predator and she is married to him!
logger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st April 2018, 06:03 PM   #86
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator

Originally Posted by logger View Post
Unbelievable isn’t it? A literall sexual predator and she is married to him!
If Bill gives you $130,000 will you agree to not mention this any more?

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st April 2018, 10:54 PM   #87
WilliamSeger
Philosopher

Originally Posted by quadraginta View Post

Or is the cartoonist (and the poster) confused about the difference between the Hillary campaign and the DNC?
The cartoonist is a ****-for-brains racist neo-Nazi scumbag who has a man-crush on Dear Leader and a fear of powerful women. Not sure why CE likes him.
WilliamSeger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd April 2018, 04:56 AM   #88
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by WilliamSeger View Post
<snip>

The cartoonist is a ****-for-brains racist neo-Nazi scumbag who has a man-crush on Dear Leader and a fear of powerful women. Not sure why CE likes him.

So that would be a "Yes.".

"Ninety percent of the politicians give the other ten percent a bad reputation."
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd April 2018, 11:52 AM   #89
mgidm86
Philosopher

I was in 2016 but that's just me.
Old 23rd April 2018, 12:14 PM   #90
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

As others have pointed out, the cartoonist a noted bigot and is confused about Hillary's involvement in the latest Democrat lawsuit against the Republicans/Russia/WikiLeaks (hint: She's not involve).

Plus, if you look at some of the background details, they also talk about "suing Alex Jones", another lawsuit that Clinton is not involved in. (The parents of some of the deceased in the Sandy Hook shooting are suing Jones for claiming it was a fake attack; if the artist is criticizing that lawsuit, its suggesting they believe the conspiracy nonsense.)

I'm Mary Poppins Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd April 2018, 12:30 PM   #91
TurkeysGhost
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
As others have pointed out, the cartoonist a noted bigot and is confused about Hillary's involvement in the latest Democrat lawsuit against the Republicans/Russia/WikiLeaks (hint: She's not involve).

Plus, if you look at some of the background details, they also talk about "suing Alex Jones", another lawsuit that Clinton is not involved in. (The parents of some of the deceased in the Sandy Hook shooting are suing Jones for claiming it was a fake attack; if the artist is criticizing that lawsuit, its suggesting they believe the conspiracy nonsense.)
Ben Garrison: The cartoonist who seems to manage to jam pack every cartoon with text. The man doesn't seem to have any interest in subtlety available in his chosen medium.
TurkeysGhost is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd April 2018, 12:42 PM   #92
phiwum
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post
Ben Garrison: The cartoonist who seems to manage to jam pack every cartoon with text. The man doesn't seem to have any interest in subtlety available in his chosen medium.
Surely, this is a strategic move. Subtlety doesn't do well with his intended audience.

He should add laugh tracks. As you mouse over the image, the track changes from chuckles to guffaws to gasps and eventually chants of "lock her up".

Or just the chants. Just to be sure. Whatever.

Last edited by phiwum; 23rd April 2018 at 12:44 PM.
phiwum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd April 2018, 12:53 PM   #93
Slings and Arrows
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
As others have pointed out, the cartoonist a noted bigot...

Translation: He didn't vote for Madame Hillary.

Ref: Ben Garrison Cartoons

The Left: An Unhinged Mob
Old 23rd April 2018, 12:53 PM   #94
TurkeysGhost
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by phiwum View Post
Surely, this is a strategic move. Subtlety doesn't do well with his intended audience.

He should add laugh tracks. As you mouse over the image, the track changes from chuckles to guffaws to gasps and eventually chants of "lock her up".

Or just the chants. Just to be sure. Whatever.
It's a visual, political Gish Gallop most of the time.
TurkeysGhost is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd April 2018, 09:38 PM   #95
Toontown
Philosopher

Trump supporters have nothing to juxtapose against Trump turpitude except a Hillary mockup they started building a long time ago.

Trump has been accurately described as "less a person than a collection of terrible traits." That's why Trump proppers need that Hillary mockup like a hog needs slop. Trump is literally such a repellent collection of terrible traits that there aren't any politikers of any stature who don't look good beside him. Not even in DC.

So they keep dragging the mockup out of their foldarol bag, like a flock of talking magpies.

Ironically, the crazed rat wing of the GOP originally constructed the mockup because they were afraid the GOP could not beat the old bat fair and square, so they went for the kneecaps. Which was cowardly and pathetic, and only got them Obama, and now Trump, who will almost certainly drag them down to hell with him.

But now they think they need Trump, which leads to them thinking they need the Hillary mockup to make Trump look good by comparison. But it's not working. They still can't make Trump look good, even by comparison to an evil mockup Hillary doll thing.
Old 23rd April 2018, 11:52 PM   #96
mgidm86
Philosopher

I will not post in this thread again, I swear it. Hillary does not bother me now. I am done with her. It's so - freeing!
Old 24th April 2018, 12:43 AM   #97
WilliamSeger
Philosopher

LMAO! This is pathetic: Clinton Stars as Central Villain in GOP’s Midterm Strategy

Quote:
Almost 18 months have passed since Hillary Clinton lost the presidency. She holds no position of power in government. And she is not expected to run for office again.

Yet Clinton is starring in the Republican Party’s 2018 midterm strategy.

With control of Congress up for grabs this fall, the GOP’s most powerful players are preparing to spend big on plans to feature Clinton as a central villain in attack ads against vulnerable Democrats nationwide. The strategy, which already has popped up in races in Pennsylvania, Indiana and North Dakota, illustrates the resilience and political potency of Republican voters’ antipathy for Clinton. As difficult as it’s been for Democrats to move past the Clinton era, it may be even harder for Republicans.
WilliamSeger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th April 2018, 01:17 AM   #98
Slings and Arrows
Graduate Poster

Crooked Hillary is the gift that just keeps on giving. I hope the old battle-ax lives to be one hundred and twenty.

Goodbye blue wave, here comes Hillary.

Last edited by Slings and Arrows; 24th April 2018 at 01:33 AM.
Old 24th April 2018, 05:04 AM   #99
WilliamSeger
Philosopher

Crooked Hillary is the gift that just keeps on giving. I hope the old battle-ax lives to be one hundred and twenty.

Goodbye blue wave, here comes Hillary.
Looking at the demographics, what you really need to hope for is that Hillary haters live to be one hundred and twenty.
Old 24th April 2018, 05:20 AM   #100
TheSupermeerkat
Graduate Poster

I like his cartoon “battle of the billionaires” - Bezo versus Trump, and the latter has a shield emblazoned with “better deals for America”.

Trump is dead wrong with his Amazon ranting on Twitter. Does Garrison know that?
TheSupermeerkat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th April 2018, 07:26 AM   #101
WilliamSeger
Philosopher

After doing a little research on Ben Garrison, it seems that some of his friends on the alt-right have been "improving" some of his cartoons by making them more racists and anti-Semitic, but leaving his name on them. In fairness, my accusations that he is a racist neo-Nazi were based on those altered images, and I have to retract them. Now I'm back to thinking that he's just an unfunny reactionary ******* playing to the same fearful and resentful audience as Trump's demagoguery, many of whom happen to be racists and neo-Nazis.
Old 24th April 2018, 10:49 AM   #102
TurkeysGhost
Penultimate Amazing

After doing a little research on Ben Garrison, it seems that some of his friends on the alt-right have been "improving" some of his cartoons by making them more racists and anti-Semitic, but leaving his name on them. In fairness, my accusations that he is a racist neo-Nazi were based on those altered images, and I have to retract them. Now I'm back to thinking that he's just an unfunny reactionary ******* playing to the same fearful and resentful audience as Trump's demagoguery, many of whom happen to be racists and neo-Nazis.
I think it's a common error. Anti-Semitic alterations of Garrison works are very common on racist channels. As far as I can tell, Garrison hasn't published anything racist. It's just conspiratorial and reactionary, which aren't exactly admirable qualities either. It doesn't take much to change globalist conspiracy to Jewish conspiracy.
Old 24th April 2018, 01:57 PM   #103
Mycroft
High Priest of Ed

Ben Garrison: The go to man when you want your wing-nut conspiracy theory illustrated.
Mycroft is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th April 2018, 02:01 PM   #104
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Pragmatic? Sure. Cynical? Certainly. Pathetic? Not so much. Hillary Clinton is, for whatever reason, quite unpopular these days. It's a no-brainer for the GOP to keep her front and center for as long as possible.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th April 2018, 02:10 PM   #105
WilliamSeger
Philosopher

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
Pragmatic? Sure. Cynical? Certainly. Pathetic? Not so much. Hillary Clinton is, for whatever reason, quite unpopular these days. It's a no-brainer for the GOP to keep her front and center for as long as possible.
Well, yeah, but the pathetic part is that it probably is their best strategy, given what they have to work with.
Old 24th April 2018, 02:36 PM   #106
Childlike Empress
Banned

Childlike Empress is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th April 2018, 02:46 PM   #107
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Well, yeah, but the pathetic part is that it probably is their best strategy, given what they have to work with.
Enh. You go to the polls with the candidates you have, not the candidates you wish to have plan to have at a later date.

It's not like the Democrats have anything better than "but Trump!". Which, when you think about it, is even more pathetic, right? I mean, a true-believing Democrat might unironically think, of course the GOP doesn't have anyone of Hillary's caliber, so of course all they can do is harp on her unpopularity and hope that's enough.

But at some point, don't those same Democrats have to start asking themselves when they're going to have something better to offer than "but Trump!"?
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th April 2018, 03:01 PM   #108
tyr_13
Penultimate Amazing

Enh. You go to the polls with the candidates you have, not the candidates you wish to have plan to have at a later date.

It's not like the Democrats have anything better than "but Trump!". Which, when you think about it, is even more pathetic, right? I mean, a true-believing Democrat might unironically think, of course the GOP doesn't have anyone of Hillary's caliber, so of course all they can do is harp on her unpopularity and hope that's enough.

But at some point, don't those same Democrats have to start asking themselves when they're going to have something better to offer than "but Trump!"?
Trump is the President of the United States doing real harm right now. How is it more pathetic to run in opposition to the actual damage being done by Trump right now, than the hypothetical damage that is literally not possible? How is it more pathetic to be agreeing with the majority of the electorate?

This also leaves aside the specific measures Dems do advocate.
tyr_13 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th April 2018, 06:14 PM   #109
WilliamSeger
Philosopher

Which, when you think about it (and have more insight than that provided by Trump TV), isn't anywhere close to being true.
Old 24th April 2018, 07:03 PM   #110
logger
Banned

Originally Posted by tyr_13 View Post
Trump is the President of the United States doing real harm right now. How is it more pathetic to run in opposition to the actual damage being done by Trump right now, than the hypothetical damage that is literally not possible? How is it more pathetic to be agreeing with the majority of the electorate?

This also leaves aside the specific measures Dems do advocate.
Real harm to the leftist agenda. Which is great for the US.
logger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th April 2018, 08:11 PM   #111
Slings and Arrows
Graduate Poster

Hear! Hear!
Old 24th April 2018, 10:19 PM   #112
Roger Ramjets
Philosopher

Real harm to the US, which is great for those of us who hate America.
Old 24th April 2018, 11:19 PM   #113
Roger Ramjets
Philosopher

Hillary was right...

Turns out many Trump supporters really are in a 'basket of deplorables'.

Trump Voters Driven by Fear of Losing Status, Not Economic Anxiety, Study Finds
Quote:
Ever since Donald J. Trump began his improbable political rise, many pundits have credited his appeal among white, Christian and male voters to “economic anxiety.” Hobbled by unemployment and locked out of the recovery, those voters turned out in force to send Mr. Trump, and a message, to Washington.

Or so that narrative goes.

A study published on Monday in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences questions that explanation, the latest to suggest that Trump voters weren’t driven by anger over the past, but rather fear of what may come. White, Christian and male voters, the study suggests, turned to Mr. Trump because they felt their status was at risk...

Losing a job or income between 2012 and 2016 did not make a person any more likely to support Mr. Trump, Dr. Mutz found. Neither did the mere perception that one’s financial situation had worsened. A person’s opinion on how trade affected personal finances had little bearing on political preferences. Neither did unemployment or the density of manufacturing jobs in one’s area.

It wasn’t people in those areas that were switching, those folks were already voting Republican,” Dr. Mutz said.

...anxieties about retirement, education and medical bills also had little impact on whether a person supported Mr. Trump. In both cases, the findings revealed a fear that American global dominance was in danger... The shift toward an antitrade stance was a particularly effective strategy for capitalizing on a public experiencing status threat due to race...

Trump support was linked to a belief that high-status groups, such as whites, Christians or men, faced more discrimination than low-status groups, like minorities, Muslims or women, according to Dr. Mutz’s analysis
So the racist misogynist snowflakes voted for Trump not due to anything Hillary did, but to preserve their perceived status as white Christian males - just as we suspected. There's no way they were ever going to vote for a woman who threatened their dominance, no matter what she said or didn't say.

But should she have kept her mouth shut to avoid alienating other voters? I say no. It may have cost her the presidency, but it did something far more important - it destroyed the narrative that "It's the economy stupid".
Old 25th April 2018, 05:31 AM   #114
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Swing voters in a handful of of key states were taken for granted, and ended up swinging the wrong way. These are the deplorable Trump supporters you're talking about?
Old 25th April 2018, 04:36 PM   #115
Marcus
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Roger Ramjets View Post
Turns out many Trump supporters really are in a 'basket of deplorables'.

Trump Voters Driven by Fear of Losing Status, Not Economic Anxiety, Study FindsSo the racist misogynist snowflakes voted for Trump not due to anything Hillary did, but to preserve their perceived status as white Christian males - just as we suspected. There's no way they were ever going to vote for a woman who threatened their dominance, no matter what she said or didn't say.

But should she have kept her mouth shut to avoid alienating other voters? I say no. It may have cost her the presidency, but it did something far more important - it destroyed the narrative that "It's the economy stupid".
It seems a little hard to blame it all on men, much less just Christian white men, when women supported Trump as much as previous Republican candidates.

Quote:
Women supported Clinton over Trump by 54% to 42%. This is about the same as the Democratic advantage among women in 2012 (55% Obama vs. 44% Romney) and 2008 (56% Obama vs. 43% McCain).
http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank...der-education/
Marcus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th April 2018, 11:02 PM   #116
Slings and Arrows
Graduate Poster

Quote:
The Misanthropic Mrs. Clinton

As a college sophomore, Clinton once described herself as a “misanthrope.” Her inability to hide that made her an amazingly poor candidate.

Amy Chozick writes, “She exuded a particularly icy aloofness and a how-long-do-I-have-to-talk-to-you-a**holes demeanor that made me feel as if I’d never been born.” Reporters felt so abused by the Big She during the 2008 campaign that when Clinton made an 88-second visit to the press bus proffering bagels and coffee, there were no takers. This is a bit like throwing raw filet mignon into a tank full of piranhas and watching it descend slowly to the bottom untouched.

You might expect Clinton to at least be sensitive to sexism. Instead she was a source of it. “She told aides she knew women reporters would be harder on her. We’d be jealous and catty and more spiteful than men. We’d be impervious to her flirting.” A running joke had it that the unofficial motto of Clinton supporters was, “I’m With Her . . . I Guess.”

https://www.nationalreview.com/2018/...2016-campaign/ (April 25, 2018)

Hopefully, the misanthropic Mrs. Clinton will run again in 2020.
Old 27th April 2018, 01:37 PM   #117
Slings and Arrows
Graduate Poster

Quote:
Poll: Melania Trump Is A More Popular First Lady Than Hillary Clinton

A new poll indicates that First Lady Melania Trump is a more popular first lady than Hillary Clinton was. YouGov reports that Melania is seen positively by 40 percent of America after being in the White House for a year and a half.

Meanwhile, Hillary Clinton was first lady for eight years and only registered a 38 percent positive rating.

http://dailycaller.com/2018/04/27/me...llary-clinton/ (April 27, 2018)

First Lady Melania Trump always looks stunning and rarely comments on politics, making her the exact opposite of disheveled never-shut-up Hillary.
Old 27th April 2018, 01:40 PM   #118
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

First Lady Melania Trump always looks stunning and rarely comments on politics, making her the exact opposite of disheveled never-shut-up Hillary.
Yes, because women should always be judged on how attractive they are, and not on their abilities, skills or intelligence.

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th April 2018, 01:44 PM   #119
Fudbucker
Philosopher

Well, she did plagiarize Michelle Obama's speech at the convention. But she looked good doing it, and looks are all that matters. I guess.
Fudbucker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th April 2018, 01:47 PM   #120
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

It's not like the Democrats have anything better than "but Trump!".
Which of course is completely wrong.

During the last election, the Clinton campaign had a lot of very well thought out policies. You could go to their web site and actually see what their plans were on a wide range of subjects.

Compare that to Trump, who made promises which were incredibly vague (e.g. promise "great health care" without saying how it would be done), or completely contradictory (e.g. the cost of the wall, which seemed to change from speech to speech, or his immigration ban which turned into "extreme vetting", although he was vague on.)
Quote:
Which, when you think about it, is even more pathetic, right?
What' pathetic is that there are republicans and Trump supporters who actually think that the "democrats had nothing but anti-Trump", while ignoring the fact that that label applied more to Trump and the republicans.

We are Groot - Groot

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics