IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Brilliant Light Power , free energy , Randell Mills

Closed Thread
Old 10th April 2018, 01:06 PM   #41
Hellbound
Merchant of Doom

Location: Not in Hell, but I can see it from here on a clear day...
Originally Posted by Horatius View Post
Well, they're profitable so long as you value your integrity at $0.
You know, I've always said that integrity is the key.

Once you can fake that, you've got it made.
Hellbound is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 11th April 2018, 12:56 AM   #42
Dave Rogers
Bandaged ice that stampedes inexpensively through a scribbled morning waving necessary ankles

Originally Posted by Horatius View Post
Well, they're profitable so long as you value your integrity at $0.
Well, you know what they say; integrity and a dollar will buy you a cup of coffee. But not in Starbucks.

Dave

- President Joseph R. Biden, January 20th, 2021
Dave Rogers is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 11th April 2018, 01:37 AM   #43
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by paiute View Post
Actual chemist here. Stop it - you're killing me.
Perhaps you could offer some insight - what could the reaction that we see actually be?
Old 11th April 2018, 07:33 AM   #44
Hans
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Hellbound View Post
You know, I've always said that integrity is the key.

Once you can fake that, you've got it made.
Yeah I've never been able to suppress that. If I had I would have been producing 'archaeological crazy stuff' for the fringe for large amounts of money for decades......sigh the utter tyranny of honesty.

Egyptian colonies in Greenland, the existence of Nato'wa confirmed, Macedonian colonies in the Pamirs (found by Victorian explorers, etc., etc., so much pseudo science I could have spewed out.
Hans is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 11th April 2018, 07:44 AM   #45
Hellbound
Merchant of Doom

Location: Not in Hell, but I can see it from here on a clear day...
Originally Posted by Hans View Post
Yeah I've never been able to suppress that. If I had I would have been producing 'archaeological crazy stuff' for the fringe for large amounts of money for decades......sigh the utter tyranny of honesty.

Egyptian colonies in Greenland, the existence of Nato'wa confirmed, Macedonian colonies in the Pamirs (found by Victorian explorers, etc., etc., so much pseudo science I could have spewed out.
Tell me about it. That pesky integrity.

Damn you morality and ethics! *shaking fist at sky*
Hellbound is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 11th April 2018, 08:03 AM   #46
RecoveringYuppy
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Squeegee Beckenheim View Post
Perhaps you could offer some insight - what could the reaction that we see actually be?
Cotton candy? Laundry lint? Ceiling hadn't been dusted for cobwebs in a while?

Seriously, what demands an explanation there?

Last edited by RecoveringYuppy; 11th April 2018 at 08:04 AM.
RecoveringYuppy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 11th April 2018, 08:19 AM   #47
Dancing David
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by markie View Post
You must be really smart then.

How about, rather than being killed by your incredulity, being constructive and offering an informed opinion of your own about the web like substance being formed.

It's safe to assume you don't know that magnesium and beryllium can form hydrides that are chain like. They are covalent polymeric hydrides.

So it's not a stretch for me to hypothesize that the substance in question is a polymeric hydrino hydride.
How about Mills stops dorking around a produces some actual results?

Then they have a Nobel prize and save the world.
Never underestimate the power of the Random Number God. More of evolutionary history is His doing than people think. - Dinwar
Dancing David is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 11th April 2018, 02:21 PM   #48
Hans
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Dancing David View Post
How about Mills stops dorking around a produces some actual results?

Then they have a Nobel prize and save the world.
The Nobel committee's award is much less than can fleeced from gullible believers. Ask markie how much in investment has flowed into Mill's various renamed companies, paying him and other lucrative salaries to produce - nothing and to produce nothing for 30 years.

Markie what does Mill pay himself out of investor's money? There is nothing illegal in that by the way so why would you not tell us? How much, percentage wise, is paid out for infrastructure, salary, pensions, health care vs actual research?
Hans is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 12th April 2018, 06:03 AM   #49
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by RecoveringYuppy View Post
Cotton candy? Laundry lint? Ceiling hadn't been dusted for cobwebs in a while?
None of those things form from smoke.

Quote:
Seriously, what demands an explanation there?
What chemical reaction could cause the formation of a fibrous material like that from smoke.

It seems to me that it's one thing to opine that what we're seeing is nonsense that has nothing to do with hydrinos, but another altogether to be able to say "that looks exactly like what happens with chemical reaction x". The former is almost certainly true, but the latter is a much stronger argument, in the same way that saying "the way that reactor is said to work is nonsense therefore what we're seeing isn't a reactor in action" is a weaker argument than "the way that reactor is said to work is nonsense and that looks exactly like an arc welder, therefore what we're seeing isn't a reaction in action".
Old 12th April 2018, 07:04 AM   #50
markie
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Hans View Post
The Nobel committee's award is much less than can fleeced from gullible believers. Ask markie how much in investment has flowed into Mill's various renamed companies, paying him and other lucrative salaries to produce - nothing and to produce nothing for 30 years.

Markie what does Mill pay himself out of investor's money? There is nothing illegal in that by the way so why would you not tell us? How much, percentage wise, is paid out for infrastructure, salary, pensions, health care vs actual research?
How should I know such things? I'm no insider. But, I would think that BLP's corporate investors who perform due diligence and risk assessment have access to information that makes BLP a worthwhile investment. I would also think that BLP runs a pretty lean and productive operation relative to other companies. They have my admiration for conducting groundbreaking research - both pure and applied - for decades, all without government funding at taxpayers expense. You may think they have produced 'nothing' for 30 years, but that is true only as it relates to a commercial product thus far. They have amassed intellectual property and trade secrets that are thrilling to contemplate.

Take a peek at BLP's advisory board at http://brilliantlightpower.com/advisory-board/

It looks like they are well advised.
markie is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 12th April 2018, 07:43 AM   #51
JeanTate
Illuminator

How should I know such things? I'm no insider. But, I would think that BLP's corporate investors who perform due diligence and risk assessment have access to information that makes BLP a worthwhile investment. I would also think that BLP runs a pretty lean and productive operation relative to other companies. They have my admiration for conducting groundbreaking research - both pure and applied - for decades, all without government funding at taxpayers expense. You may think they have produced 'nothing' for 30 years, but that is true only as it relates to a commercial product thus far. They have amassed intellectual property and trade secrets that are thrilling to contemplate.

Take a peek at BLP's advisory board at http://brilliantlightpower.com/advisory-board/

Is there any significant downside for any of those individuals to be on said board? I can’t think of any.

Significant upside? Well, let me count the ways ...

IP and trade secrets? None are independently, and objectively, verifiable, are they? Short of a viable commercial product, that is ...
JeanTate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 12th April 2018, 07:57 AM   #52
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

Are they being paid by BLP?

2 prints, same midtarsal crock..., I mean break?
LTC8K6 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 13th April 2018, 04:38 PM   #53
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

We could just wait for Mills to have it independently analysed, it may be interesting to read that report to take our minds of the impending heat death of the universe!
If only it were all so simple! If only there were evil people somewhere insidiously committing evil deeds, and it were necessary only to separate them from the rest of us and destroy them. But the line dividing good and evil cuts through the heart of every human being. And who is willing to destroy a piece of his own heart?” Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn, The Gulag Archipelago
Darat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 13th April 2018, 05:11 PM   #54
Mike!
Official Ponylandistanian National Treasure. Respect it!

Location: Ponylandistan! Where the bacon grows on trees! Can it get any better than that? I submit it can not!
None of those things form from smoke.

What chemical reaction could cause the formation of a fibrous material like that from smoke.

It seems to me that it's one thing to opine that what we're seeing is nonsense that has nothing to do with hydrinos, but another altogether to be able to say "that looks exactly like what happens with chemical reaction x". The former is almost certainly true, but the latter is a much stronger argument, in the same way that saying "the way that reactor is said to work is nonsense therefore what we're seeing isn't a reactor in action" is a weaker argument than "the way that reactor is said to work is nonsense and that looks exactly like an arc welder, therefore what we're seeing isn't a reaction in action".
I knew I'd seen something similar at some point in my life, and I remembered what is was today. Burning plastic. In my pyromaniac stage of youth, we were always looking for something cool looking to burn. One of our favorite things to light on fire and carry around was a wiffleball bat. I'm not sure what form of high impact plastic it was made from, but it would produce a wispy black smoke that had a cobweb like quality to it, and some amount of remaining mass that when it landed, looked very much like a black version of what we see remaining in the present case of Mills "demonstration". My guess is some plastic based insulation burned away, and what we see is the wispy unburnt remains. But I'm no scientist.

Last edited by Mike!; 13th April 2018 at 05:12 PM.
Mike! is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 13th April 2018, 07:36 PM   #55
Hans
Philosopher

How should I know such things? I'm no insider.
But, I would think that BLP's corporate investors who perform due diligence and risk assessment have access to information that makes BLP a worthwhile investment. I would also think that BLP runs a pretty lean and productive operation relative to other companies. They have my admiration for conducting groundbreaking research - both pure and applied - for decades, all without government funding at taxpayers expense. You may think they have produced 'nothing' for 30 years, but that is true only as it relates to a commercial product thus far. They have amassed intellectual property and trade secrets that are thrilling to contemplate.
[/url]

With thirty years of failure and not a penny returned to investor - yeah 'great' company. Probably good for generating losses for tax schemes too.
Old 14th April 2018, 03:13 AM   #56
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Mike! View Post
I knew I'd seen something similar at some point in my life, and I remembered what is was today. Burning plastic. In my pyromaniac stage of youth, we were always looking for something cool looking to burn. One of our favorite things to light on fire and carry around was a wiffleball bat. I'm not sure what form of high impact plastic it was made from, but it would produce a wispy black smoke that had a cobweb like quality to it, and some amount of remaining mass that when it landed, looked very much like a black version of what we see remaining in the present case of Mills "demonstration". My guess is some plastic based insulation burned away, and what we see is the wispy unburnt remains. But I'm no scientist.
That's definitely a good start. I'm not sure it entirely lines up with what we can see in the video, and nor can I find out what plastic wiffle bats would be made out of, but this is certainly the most promising answer so far.
Old 14th April 2018, 05:33 AM   #57
Dragon
Graduate Poster

Well, "smokewebs" are definitely a thing - I've seen them myself - they looked like black cobwebs.
In a nutshell they are caused by burning plastics recombining as polymer chains when the smoke cools and are very common after domestic fires. Google will give you a better explanation and images.
I'd be surprised if those filaments in the video aren't formed by that sort of process.
Dragon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 14th April 2018, 07:57 AM   #58
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Dragon View Post
Well, "smokewebs" are definitely a thing - I've seen them myself - they looked like black cobwebs.
In a nutshell they are caused by burning plastics recombining as polymer chains when the smoke cools and are very common after domestic fires. Google will give you a better explanation and images.
I'd be surprised if those filaments in the video aren't formed by that sort of process.
https://chemistry.stackexchange.com/...web-formations

Quote:
[Smoke webs] form under certain conditions called wet smoke, which involves low heat, or smoldering type environments.
That doesn't seem to apply.

http://elitedrying.com/index_files/Page555.htm

Quote:
Plastic particulates connect in chains forming heavy “smoke webs” often seen in ceiling corners.
Another vote for plastic.

I would have to say that if it really is plastic, then that would seem to definitively rule out the possibility of people genuinely believing that they've stumbled onto something exciting and new, as it would appear that the filament that burns up would have to be made from plastic rather than metal.
Old 14th April 2018, 08:21 AM   #59
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat

I would have to say that if it really is plastic, then that would seem to definitively rule out the possibility of people genuinely believing that they've stumbled onto something exciting and new, as it would appear that the filament that burns up would have to be made from plastic rather than metal.
I think it's entirely possible that Mills really did think he was on to something when he first started out. It might well have gone from genuine investigation, to a bit of fudging whilst still sincere, to a lot of fudging as the truth began to dawn, to an outright scam, without there ever being a moment when he made a conscious decision to create such a scam. Now, of course, he has to go on with it, as the point where he could have legitimately called a halt has long passed.
Old 14th April 2018, 08:34 AM   #60
ferd burfle
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Dragon View Post

I wonder if you could cause fumes from an acrylic, like cyanoacrylate, to polymerize from vapor phase? Introduce an inert gas into, or pull a vacuum on vapors in a chamber to cause polymerization in the absence of oxygen?
Old 14th April 2018, 09:43 AM   #61
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by ferd burfle View Post
I wonder if you could cause fumes from an acrylic, like cyanoacrylate, to polymerize from vapor phase? Introduce an inert gas into, or pull a vacuum on vapors in a chamber to cause polymerization in the absence of oxygen?
Well, the video shows them forming in the air, and it's unlikely that they had someone in a spacesuit (or even just an oxygen mask) doing the filming, so I'd say it's unlikely that it's just happening in a vacuum (or oxygen-depleted environment).
Old 14th April 2018, 09:52 AM   #62
RecoveringYuppy
Penultimate Amazing

I see your point but don't think it applies because this one video is not an isolated claim. In the context of Brilliant Light Power believers the argument you're asking for is simply a Whack a Mole argument. You'll just have to do it over and over again for every video they come up with. I think it's better to point out why this video, due to it's source, can't be taken seriously. Don't pretend the burden is on you to demonstrate why this is wrong, that's the appearance that helps BLP maintain the scam.
RecoveringYuppy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 14th April 2018, 11:23 AM   #63
ferd burfle
Graduate Poster

Well, the video shows them forming in the air, and it's unlikely that they had someone in a spacesuit (or even just an oxygen mask) doing the filming, so I'd say it's unlikely that it's just happening in a vacuum (or oxygen-depleted environment).

I assumed I was looking into a chamber of some kind so I'll have another look at the video. They are careful never to show any visual context or details of the setup in their video; just the gee-whiz feature they're trying to promote.

ETA: Doh! Now I see you point about vacuum.

Last edited by ferd burfle; 14th April 2018 at 11:25 AM.
ferd burfle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 14th April 2018, 02:44 PM   #64
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by RecoveringYuppy View Post
You'll just have to do it over and over again for every video they come up with.
Well, we don't have to do anything. I think, however, it would be the sceptical thing to do to attempt to demonstrate that each claim is wrong - or can be replicated by other methods - on its own merits.

Quote:
I think it's better to point out why this video, due to it's source, can't be taken seriously.
James Randi didn't disprove Uri Gellar's various claims by saying that they came from Uri Gellar, but by demonstrating that, for example, bending spoons is an old magician's trick that's accomplished through misdirection, or that it's trivially easy to move a compass by hiding a magnet up your sleeve. He could have just said "I showed that spoonbending doesn't require psychic powers, therefore I don't need to talk about magnets", but I don't think that would have been a great argument.

Quote:
Don't pretend the burden is on you to demonstrate why this is wrong, that's the appearance that helps BLP maintain the scam.
The burden is on him to provide evidence, and then anybody can assess that evidence in whatever way is possible, if they wish.

And besides all of that, I don't know about anybody else, but I think it's interesting. I think the majority of people posting in this thread will agree that what we're looking at has nothing whatsoever to do with hydrinos, but aren't you interested in what it actually is? Isn't trying to explain the unknown kind of why most of us are on this board? Isn't that what scepticism, as a movement, is about? Isn't discussing the scientific nature of things what this particular subforum is about? I've never seen anything quite like it before, and things that I've never seen before interest me. I find it gratifying to explain them or have them explained.

I also think finding out what this particular chemical reaction most likely is may offer some interesting insight. I mean, if we can work out what it likely is, then that may allow us to work out how likely it is that it's something that Mills & co discovered by accident as a side-effect of however they're setting up their experiments and so incorporated into a video or two, or whether it's an effect Mills or someone working for him already knew about (or found out about from some external source) and deliberately set about trying to replicate. I think that would be interesting in and of itself.

I'm generally curious about things. This is something I'm curious about. I'm honestly a little surprised that I seem to be the only one.
Old 14th April 2018, 02:56 PM   #65
RecoveringYuppy
Penultimate Amazing

I get the interesting problem part. Don't happen to share it for this particular case, but I certainly get it.
Old 4th May 2018, 10:10 PM   #66
Blue Mountain
Resident Skeptical Hobbit

So while Mills and BLP are furiously looking for a way to convert heat energy into electricity, NASA has just completed a test of a small nuclear reactor (U-235) to do just that: Demonstration Proves Nuclear Fission System Can Provide Space Exploration Power

Originally Posted by NASA
​Kilopower is a small, lightweight fission power system capable of providing up to 10 kilowatts of electrical power - enough to run several average households - continuously for at least 10 years. Four Kilopower units would provide enough power to establish an outpost
For more information about the Kilopower project, including images and video, visit:
https://www.nasa.gov/directorates/spacetech/kilopower
The social illusion reigns to-day upon all the heaped-up ruins of the past, and to it belongs the future. The masses have never thirsted after truth. They turn aside from evidence that is not to their taste, preferring to deify error, if error seduce them. Gustav Le Bon, The Crowd, 1895 (from the French)
Blue Mountain is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 5th May 2018, 01:58 AM   #67
Hungry81
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Blue Mountain View Post
So while Mills and BLP are furiously looking for a way to convert heat energy into electricity, NASA has just completed a test of a small nuclear reactor (U-235) to do just that: Demonstration Proves Nuclear Fission System Can Provide Space Exploration Power
Ahhh so thats why Mills couldn't get his thermal exchange whosiwhatits and dynamic dynamo coolerising etceteraisators, that would solve the heat problem, NASA has no doubt bought the entire stock and paid off the companies and patent offices with taxpayer funds to prevent Mills from advancing. I guess Mills will have to go back to the drawing board
Hungry81 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 5th May 2018, 02:58 AM   #68
Lukraak_Sisser
Philosopher

Bah, clearly you know NASA is lying. Why if a genius like Mills cannot discover how to turn a source of heat in to power, then no one can.
Lukraak_Sisser is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 11th May 2018, 08:49 AM   #69
markie
Graduate Poster

Using thermal energy (from nuclear power or combustion) to drive a Stirling engine to generate electricity is nothing new. Stealth submarines use this.

Mills of course is well aware of the methods to convert thermal energy to electricity. For instance this is from Mills et al from 2012

https://www.researchgate.net/publica...talyst_systems

Quote:
The conversion of thermal power to electrical power requires the use of a heat engine exploiting a cycle such as a Rankine, Brayton, Stirling, or steam-engine cycle
BLP has not yet attained a working Suncell even for generating thermal energy. (This awaits a completed ceramic version of Sun-cell which apparently doesn't have to be enclosed in a larger pressure vessel.)

In parallel BLP is also working on a novel kind of magneto hydrodynamic drive (MHD) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnetohydrodynamic_drive
which would generate electricity directly rather than indirectly. They have already filed patent applications for this iirc.

A MHD would be the ideal because the hydrino reaction itself is highly ionizing due to the high energy light released from hydrino formation. The opposite charges are separated with a magnetic field and an electric current is generated from this. If you think NASA's development is exciting just wait.
markie is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 11th May 2018, 12:30 PM   #70
Prometheus
Acolyte of Víđarr

<snip> just wait.
Has Mills ever offered anything else?
Don't be offended. I'm not calling you a serial killer. -- Ron Tomkins.
Prometheus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 11th May 2018, 02:42 PM   #71
Horatius
NWO Kitty Wrangler

Originally Posted by Prometheus View Post

I'm not sure if this is the one markie meant, but he's applied for another patent:

GAMMA-RAY AND TRI-HYDROGEN-CATION COLLISIONAL ELECTRON BEAM TRANSDUCER

Of course, I'm not sure what that title has to do with the main independent claim:

Quote:
CLAIMS

1. An apparatus for providing lift from a gravitating body, comprising:
a free electron;
means of applying energy to said free electron;
means of forming a pseudoelectron, wherein a repulsive force away from a gravitating mass is created;
means of applying a field to said pseudoelectron; and
a repulsive force developed by said pseudoelectron in response to said applied field is impressed on said means for applying the field in a direction away from said gravitating body.
https://patentscope.wipo.int/search/...irectedID=true

If you click around there, you can download a pdf copy of the Written Opinion of the International Search Authority, which usually forms the basis for the International Preliminary Report on Patentability. The last paragraph on the last page is of particular interest, where the examiner discusses the industrial applicability of the claimed subject matter.

Let's just say that it's extremely uncommon for an examiner at the WO/IPRP stage to argue that all the claims on file lack industrial applicability.

ETA:

here are the other independent claims:

Quote:
21. An apparatus for providing repulsion from a gravitating body, comprising
a pseudoelectron which experiences a repulsive force in the presence of the gravitating body; and
means for applying a field to the pseudoelectron,
wherein a repulsive force is developed by the pseudoelectron in response to the applied field and is impressed on said means for applying the field in a direction away from the gravitating body.

22. A method of forming pseudoelectrons comprising the step of providing at least one free electron;
providing an X-ray or gamma ray beam; and
providing the intersection of said at least one electron and X-ray or gamma ray beam such that the at least one electron forms at least one pseudoelectron.
Old 11th May 2018, 03:25 PM   #72
Kid Eager
Philosopher

It’s never that the idea or tech is wrong, it’s just that Mills is always waiting on something....

As for him being able to do anything with MHD, pull the other one. He’s just setting up for the next pivot to distract from the trail of incompetency/perfidy he’s leaving behind
Old 11th May 2018, 03:36 PM   #73
Hans
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Prometheus View Post
Well you have to hand it to Mills - 'Wait" is something he has provided in vast quantities. I suspect if there was a igNoble reward for creating useless WAIT he might win it.
Old 11th May 2018, 04:01 PM   #74
Red Baron Farms
Philosopher

(This awaits a completed ceramic version of Sun-cell which apparently doesn't have to be enclosed in a larger pressure vessel.)
Sadly no Markie. It awaits the actual discovery of an actual hydrino. Something we must all wait forever for due to it not existing at all.

When all else fails, go back to basics. Has Mills ever ever ever in his 30+ years of work on hydrinos ever actually detected a single hydrino ever? The answer is no. He had a hypothesis that hydrinos were the cause of some anomalous readings he had on some equipment he was using. Period! The hypothesis has been falsified formally and repeatedly.

There is absolutely no evidence hydrinos exist. Period. There is actually a ton of evidence hydrinos can not exist. Period.

This means the default position is that hydrinos don't exist. They are a figment of Mills imagination. He is welcome to try and falsify this default position with evidence, but he has failed repeatedly.

So you can just forget about any hydrino based technology. It's a fraud, a hoax, a scam, a myth, or just wishful thinking; take your pick. But in any case it certainly isn't reality.
"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system." Bill Mollison
Biome Carbon Cycle Management

Last edited by Red Baron Farms; 11th May 2018 at 04:03 PM.
Red Baron Farms is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 11th May 2018, 04:40 PM   #75
hgus
Critical Thinker

Never mind that this is all probably bunk. Can you really get a patent unless you have a finished working invention? That sounds to me like you could patent intentions!?

But having filed for patent sounds impressive to some I guess.
hgus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 12th May 2018, 04:03 AM   #76
Mike!
Official Ponylandistanian National Treasure. Respect it!

Location: Ponylandistan! Where the bacon grows on trees! Can it get any better than that? I submit it can not!
Originally Posted by hgus View Post
Never mind that this is all probably bunk. Can you really get a patent unless you have a finished working invention? That sounds to me like you could patent intentions!?

But having filed for patent sounds impressive to some I guess.
It is. Just mentioning I have a patent blows a great many people's minds.
Old 12th May 2018, 04:39 AM   #77
sts60
Illuminator

NASA successfully tested a nuclear reactor in space (SNAP-10A) back in, IIRC, 1965. NASA has been working on Stirling convertors for a long time, too; a project to fly an advanced convertor heated by Pu-238 isotope decay was shelved some years ago, although the convertors themselves stayed on long-term test with electric heaters at Glenn Research Center.

Of course, static conversion with RTGs has been providing ultra-reliable, if not particularly efficient, power for decades. Even longer than Mills has been running his scam, and just as reliably as sheeplike suckers fall for it.
sts60 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 12th May 2018, 04:45 AM   #78
Dave Rogers
Bandaged ice that stampedes inexpensively through a scribbled morning waving necessary ankles

January 2017:

Originally Posted by michaelsuede
This is no longer a debate about theory. This is a fully working prototype that's dumping out enough power to VAPORIZE 1/4" thick tungsten rods within seconds. No power source known to man is capable of doing that.
May 2018:

BLP has not yet attained a working Suncell even for generating thermal energy.
Spot the discrepancy.

Dave

- President Joseph R. Biden, January 20th, 2021
Dave Rogers is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 12th May 2018, 06:27 AM   #79
The Man
Unbanned zombie poster

Using thermal energy (from nuclear power or combustion) to drive a Stirling engine to generate electricity is nothing new. Stealth submarines use this.

Mills of course is well aware of the methods to convert thermal energy to electricity. For instance this is from Mills et al from 2012

https://www.researchgate.net/publica...talyst_systems

BLP has not yet attained a working Suncell even for generating thermal energy. (This awaits a completed ceramic version of Sun-cell which apparently doesn't have to be enclosed in a larger pressure vessel.)

In parallel BLP is also working on a novel kind of magneto hydrodynamic drive (MHD) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnetohydrodynamic_drive
which would generate electricity directly rather than indirectly. They have already filed patent applications for this iirc.

A MHD would be the ideal because the hydrino reaction itself is highly ionizing due to the high energy light released from hydrino formation. The opposite charges are separated with a magnetic field and an electric current is generated from this. If you think NASA's development is exciting just wait.
How is the magnetic field generated?
Old 12th May 2018, 07:15 AM   #80
markie
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Red Baron Farms View Post

There is absolutely no evidence hydrinos exist. Period. There is actually a ton of evidence hydrinos can not exist. Period.
You say that, and yet:

For over 25 years Mills has left an undeniable trail of experimental evidence to show the hydrino exists. Spectral signatures from hydrino formation, tests confirming hydrino end product, large excess heat from calorimetry tests, controlled tests showing necessity of both atomic hydrogen and predicted catalysts. All in vast range of conditions: gas, plasma, aqueous, and solid environments and with results that have been validated by others and in accord with a predictive theory.
Closed Thread

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology