IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags !MOD BOX WARNING! , donald trump , lawsuits , Michael Cohen , Stephanie Clifford , Stormy Daniels , Trump controversies

Old 11th May 2018, 05:54 PM   #321
fishbob
Seasonally Disaffected

Originally Posted by The Big Dog View Post
I am certain that the Mueller team is very concerned by the leaks, because I am certain that we are going to start hearing about tainting the potential jury pool, and leaks of any sort are an anathema to the an orderly investigation. There are already calls to shut Mueller down and now we have a gibbering jackass who is so over the top and so unconcerned with things like not exposing the financial records of innocent people and actually filing motions that his antics could upset the whole apple cart.
Congress and Senate.
The jury pool for Trump is already pretty tainted. Additional tainting is not possible.
fishbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th May 2018, 06:02 PM   #322
The Big Dog

Originally Posted by Cain View Post
Please read for comprehension....What's being argued is that you are not committed to a right of due process. It's perfectly understandable posters would bring up your previous postings when attempting to assess your ability to faithfully and accurately navigate sometimes opaque legalisms.
"Ad hominem tu quoque is a specific type of ad hominem argument that attacks a person by focusing on their past words or actions instead of the veracity of their current claims. In an ad hominem tu quoque fallacy, a speaker's claims are attacked because they are not consistent with his or her past words or actions."

http://www.softschools.com/examples/..._examples/457/

Not gonna kid you folks, I laughed, hard, when I read this post....
The Big Dog is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th May 2018, 06:06 PM   #323
TheGoldcountry
Philosopher

"Ad hominem tu quoque is a specific type of ad hominem argument that attacks a person by focusing on their past words or actions instead of the veracity of their current claims. In an ad hominem tu quoque fallacy, a speaker's claims are attacked because they are not consistent with his or her past words or actions."

I laugh at your posts all the time. Funny as hell.
Old 11th May 2018, 06:13 PM   #324
The Big Dog

Originally Posted by TheGoldcountry View Post
I laugh at your posts all the time. Funny as hell.
Cool, I asked you to post a definition of tu quoque that supports your interpretation, which has not happened yet. I did, now, twice cite definitions of the fallacy both of which contradict your claims.

Should we expect that you are going to do that, or not?

But, that last post, you gotta admit that was funny. Right? Hey they are attacking "you" so not an ad hominem/tu quoque! Hee hee! Oh mercy.

Last edited by The Big Dog; 11th May 2018 at 06:19 PM.
The Big Dog is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th May 2018, 06:29 PM   #325
logger
Banned

Originally Posted by fishbob View Post
Congress and Senate.
The jury pool for Trump is already pretty tainted. Additional tainting is not possible.
Tell that to Nixon.
logger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th May 2018, 06:31 PM   #326
logger
Banned

Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
So instead he steals from them. Good guy that Trump.
No, it’s probably the other way around. Since you might not have ever hired anyone, you might not understand how to deal with a person who does crappy work.
logger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th May 2018, 06:35 PM   #327
logger
Banned

Originally Posted by Squeegee Beckenheim View Post
If you're only going to read the first 3 words, then it seems like the smart thing to do would be not to comment.
Why not, my post covers the rest of it. I’m sure with you i’d Have to give an answer to every nonsensical thing you post. Fact is with as much as he’s involved with, much of this is quite normal.
Old 11th May 2018, 06:39 PM   #328
I Am The Scum
Philosopher

For the record, Big Dog absolutely does not understand the tu quoque fallacy. There was a very large thread devoted to explaining it in every way you can imagine, but he was like a creationist in a biology class.
I Am The Scum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th May 2018, 06:49 PM   #329
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by logger View Post
No, it’s probably the other way around. Since you might not have ever hired anyone, you might not understand how to deal with a person who does crappy work.
Oh bull. Trump is a thief. It has been a regular practice of his of not paying his bills.
Old 11th May 2018, 06:52 PM   #330
The Big Dog

Originally Posted by I Am The Scum View Post
For the record, Big Dog absolutely does not understand the tu quoque fallacy. There was a very large thread devoted to explaining it in every way you can imagine, but he was like a creationist in a biology class.
Well certainly someone does not understand it. My favorite part is where I cut and paste exact definitions of the fallacy (like I have done here) and people who have the faintest idea what it means ignore the definition and post things like, well, the above.

/man that thread was an absolute tour de force by me. Beautiful.

Last edited by The Big Dog; 11th May 2018 at 06:54 PM.
Old 11th May 2018, 07:04 PM   #331
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Well certainly someone does not understand it. My favorite part is where I cut and paste exact definitions of the fallacy (like I have done here) and people who have the faintest idea what it means ignore the definition and post things like, well, the above.

/man that thread was an absolute tour de force by me. Beautiful.
The truth is you don't actually care about the leaks. This is all a diversion from the substance of the leaks. Clearly Avenatti is winning the case for his client. I noticed that Fox News reported today that Avenatti and Miss Daniels have benefited from as much as 175 million dollars worth of promotion from the press.
Old 11th May 2018, 07:07 PM   #332
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator

I laughed!

"Let this serve as formal notice" says a guy posting on twitter! Oh man, what a *********** clown this guy is.
Yeah, really! The guy can't afford a blog? And we know that no one posts significant statements on Twitter. What a clown.

covfefe

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th May 2018, 07:24 PM   #333
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator

Depends on their job.

POTUS? Impeach 'em.

Cheerleader? Suspend or ban them from the forum.

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th May 2018, 08:03 PM   #334
Cain
Straussian

Originally Posted by I Am The Scum View Post
I see. Wow. That saves me some time. Thanks.

Putting aside the tu quoque fallacy, which you evidently do not understand, go ahead and regale me with the names of the posters as rule-of-law minded as yourself.
Cain is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th May 2018, 12:20 AM   #335
fagin
Philosopher

I laughed!

"Let this serve as formal notice" says a guy posting on twitter! Oh man, what a *********** clown this guy is.

Originally Posted by fagin View Post
Talking of clowns, isn't twitter what Trump uses for official presidential missives?

Originally Posted by fishbob View Post
source

Quote:
DOJ says Trump's tweets are official presidential statements
How quickly they forget.
Originally Posted by Foolmewunz View Post
Yeah, really! The guy can't afford a blog? And we know that no one posts significant statements on Twitter. What a clown.

covfefe
Time to admit to your hypocrisy TBD?
Old 12th May 2018, 01:35 AM   #336
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Well it would appear that you are repeating Avenatti's defenses as if they are fact, despite the fact that the employees he ********** over have contradicted his claims.

He claimed to have sold the company? Sounds like the low level employees he screwed over disagree, although he might have sold it to an LLC he set up.
I get tho that the leftist hang him high posse has already tried and convicted Cohen, of course, but some of us are just holding out for due process.

Call us crazy, huh?
Due process for Cohen. Believing the accusations against Avenatti. Uh-huh.
Old 12th May 2018, 01:37 AM   #337
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Fact is with as much as he’s involved with, much of this is quite normal.
Then it must be normal for Avenatti too, right? So you condemn them both equally? Or both not at all? Right?
Old 12th May 2018, 06:05 AM   #338
logger
Banned

Then it must be normal for Avenatti too, right? So you condemn them both equally? Or both not at all? Right?
Lol

The two simply don’t compare, completely unrelated.
Old 12th May 2018, 06:10 AM   #339
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Lol

The two simply don’t compare, completely unrelated.
You're right, Trump's failings in this area are much more extensive and egregious. Glad you agree.
Old 12th May 2018, 07:28 AM   #340
The Big Dog

Wait, has the DOJ said that Avenatti can put people on "FORMAL NOTICE" on the twitters?

Do people really not understand that there is a difference between what constitutes a record under the Presidential Records act and Thirsty's silly hyperbole of putting people on FORMAL NOTICE.

By the way, I am fully willing to agree that Avenatti is every bit the same as you feel that Donald Trump is. In fact, had I said that I thought that Trump was acting correctly by tweeting on policy (which he is absolutely not) and that Avenatti was a flaming jackass, that would not contradict what I said about Avenatti in the slightest, now would it? On the other hand, we have correspondents here criticizing Trump for his twitter activity but ignoring the fact that Avenatti is grandstanding ninny by putting people on "formal notice" on the Twitters, which would in fact make our correspondents.... well y'all know.

Last edited by The Big Dog; 12th May 2018 at 07:55 AM.
Old 12th May 2018, 07:38 AM   #341
TheL8Elvis
Philosopher

Due process for Cohen. Believing the accusations against Avenatti. Uh-huh.
Indeed. A little too much hypocrisy for me at this point.
Old 12th May 2018, 07:57 AM   #342
Fast Eddie B
Philosopher

By the way, I am fully willing to agree that Avenatti is every bit the same as you feel that Donald Trump is.
One obvious difference...

When Avenatti makes a mistake, he admits it and moves on. Thinking of the “wrong Michael Cohen” issue. Kinda how responsible individuals act.

Trump never admits a mistake. Thinking of his recent statement that military families had not had a raise in 10 years. And countless others.

Avenatti seems measured when he speaks. Trump just says stuff.

Last edited by Fast Eddie B; 12th May 2018 at 08:01 AM.
Fast Eddie B is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th May 2018, 08:02 AM   #343
The Big Dog

Originally Posted by Fast Eddie B View Post
Avenatti seems measured when he speaks. Trump just says stuff.
“Mr. Nold is widely known as an unethical ‘hack’ of a lawyer who routinely files baseless complaints,” Avenatti’s email said. “He is a disgrace to the legal profession and is consumed by jealousy of other attorneys so he makes baseless allegations. His most recent conduct is yet more of the same — I hope he gets the help he needs.”

Anger issues galore
Old 12th May 2018, 08:06 AM   #344
fuelair
Banned

Originally Posted by Cain View Post
Sure. Maybe there's a more appropriate term for this particular type of corruption.

Yes, that's what really matters -- at least to independent-minded people such as yourself. It's like someone commits a hit-and-run, so a citizen follows but makes a right turn on red despite a clear sign saying "No right turn on red." Forget Mr. Hit-and-Run, we gotta get Right-Turn-on-Red Guy.

Innocent-until-proven guilty is a conceit of the judicial system. Also, I'm sure that if I checked your rich posting history, you refrained from commenting on Hillary Clinton's guilt/innocence even though she wasn't indicted, let alone tried.
fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th May 2018, 08:18 AM   #345
fuelair
Banned

Never happen, but easy to spot!!!
fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th May 2018, 08:19 AM   #346
fuelair
Banned

and a good point!!!!!
Old 12th May 2018, 09:07 AM   #347
logger
Banned

You're right, Trump's failings in this area are much more extensive and egregious. Glad you agree.
Seeing what you want again? It’s a lot fun to watch.
Old 12th May 2018, 09:09 AM   #348
logger
Banned

Wait, has the DOJ said that Avenatti can put people on "FORMAL NOTICE" on the twitters?

Do people really not understand that there is a difference between what constitutes a record under the Presidential Records act and Thirsty's silly hyperbole of putting people on FORMAL NOTICE.

By the way, I am fully willing to agree that Avenatti is every bit the same as you feel that Donald Trump is. In fact, had I said that I thought that Trump was acting correctly by tweeting on policy (which he is absolutely not) and that Avenatti was a flaming jackass, that would not contradict what I said about Avenatti in the slightest, now would it? On the other hand, we have correspondents here criticizing Trump for his twitter activity but ignoring the fact that Avenatti is grandstanding ninny by putting people on "formal notice" on the Twitters, which would in fact make our correspondents.... well y'all know.
The left and double standards!
Old 12th May 2018, 10:02 AM   #349
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

I think Avenatti is great. There is a huge difference between how he acts and how Trump acts. For one, When Avenatti says 'formal notice on a tweet, this is simply rhetoric and you know it.

I ABSOLUTELY love that he is out there slapping around that lying sleazy POS that you are supporting. Avenatti is intelligent, articulate and seems to be ethical. 3 things you can't say about Trump, Giuliani or Cohen.
Old 12th May 2018, 10:05 AM   #350
The Big Dog

The left and double standards!
Amen, and I have been patiently trying to dissuade people from making very bad arguments based on accusations of hypocrisy. Let’s walk through it:

Tbd: Avenatti is making an ass out of himself by claiming to put people on “formal notice” on twitter.
Left: Trump uses twitter!
Tbd: that does not contradict my comment about Avenatti.
L: u are a hypocrite.
Tbd: again, does not contradict my claim, and is thus a blatant ad hominem.
L: Trump’s tweet are presidential record!
Tbd: fairly large red herring there
L: u r hypocrite, ha ha.
Tbd: wait a sec, you are criticizing trump for using twitter but not acknowledging Avenatti has made a jackass out of himself by claiming to put people on formal notice on twitter that would appear to make your arguments hypocritical right?
L: crickets...

Oh well....
Old 12th May 2018, 12:12 PM   #351
The Big Dog

Now among the myriad mistakes that Avenatti has made (and hoo boy has he made a bunch) his latest and perhaps most serious is his claim that how he got the purloined financial documents was protected by "work product." Work product, as its name implies, is the materials that reflects the attorneys "work" and his "impressions, conclusions, opinions, or legal research or theories." So that means that Avenatti was not the mere unwitting recipient of the stolen documents but actively participated in getting the purloined documents.

Wow, what a damning admission by a guy who seems to be way over his skis. Crime fraud exception, anyone?
Old 12th May 2018, 01:09 PM   #352
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Amen, and I have been patiently trying to dissuade people from making very bad arguments based on accusations of hypocrisy. Let’s walk through it:

Tbd: Avenatti is making an ass out of himself by claiming to put people on “formal notice” on twitter.
Left: Trump uses twitter!
Tbd: that does not contradict my comment about Avenatti.
L: u are a hypocrite.
Tbd: again, does not contradict my claim, and is thus a blatant ad hominem.
L: Trump’s tweet are presidential record!
Tbd: fairly large red herring there
L: u r hypocrite, ha ha.
Tbd: wait a sec, you are criticizing trump for using twitter but not acknowledging Avenatti has made a jackass out of himself by claiming to put people on formal notice on twitter that would appear to make your arguments hypocritical right?
L: crickets...

Oh well....
What total nonsense. Your arguments about Avenatti are absurd. As if the venue makes a damn bit of difference. Why not talk about the case which shows just how pathetic a lawyer Cohen is and how sleazy Trump is?

Did Trump have an affair with Stormy Daniels and will Trump be able to enforce the NDA?
Did Trump lie about it?
Is Trump still lying about it?
Did Giuliani lie about it?
Was the payoff an illegal campaign contribution?
Did Trump pay a Playboy bunny 1.6 million dollars to get an abortion?
Was Cohen a go between with the Russians?

You use to argue that this case was going to get stuffed back in the box and Avenatti is an idiot. But it looks to me that both Avenatti and Stormy Daniels have profited significantly while Cohen and Trump are being exposed. You keep mocking Avenatti which I find hilarious as Avenatti seems to be winning on all fronts and your guys are all with their backs against the wall playing defense.

Do you still think Trump can shut Daniels and Avenatti up? I don't. This looks like the tip of the proverbial iceberg.
Old 12th May 2018, 03:28 PM   #353
Fast Eddie B
Philosopher

It’s like nailing jello to a wall with Trump.

I would love to see him sat down and asked:

1) Is Michael Cohen currently your attorney? if not, up until what date was he so employed, and by what method was his employment terminated?

2) A few days ago you said the military had not had a raise in 10 years. What did you mean by that? Did you know it was untrue at the time you said it, and if so, what efforts have you taken to set the record straight with the American people?

And so many other things. But those spring to mind right now.

Last edited by Fast Eddie B; 12th May 2018 at 03:31 PM.
Fast Eddie B is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th May 2018, 03:39 PM   #354
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

1) Is Michael Cohen currently your attorney? if not, up until what date was he so employed, and by what method was his employment terminated?

2) A few days ago you said the military had not had a raise in 10 years. What did you mean by that? Did you know it was untrue at the time you said it, and if so, what efforts have you taken to set the record straight with the American people?

And so many other things. But those spring to mind right now.
I know what you mean. He sends his surrogates out there to tell one lie after another lie after another lie. He's playing the American people for fools with all this non-stop diahrea of lies. He's either attacking one person after another usually for exposing the truth or he's dangling another lie.

And this is OK? Take TBD for example. All he's been doing is attacking the messenger in Avenatti and never addressing the message. Trump has two skills, lying and cheating. And TBD and Logger thinks this is good.
Old 12th May 2018, 04:11 PM   #355
The Big Dog

Can’t imagine why you find those questions interesting. Method terminated? What methods are there and what difference does that make?
Old 12th May 2018, 04:19 PM   #356
WilliamSeger
Philosopher

The appeal to hypocrisy fallacy is known as a tu quoque fallacy. Its form is "I'm sure that if I checked your rich posting history, you refrained from commenting on Hillary Clinton's guilt/innocence even though she wasn't indicted, let alone tried" which is an ad hominem fallacy because my posts about Clinton do not falsify my comprehensive statements about the developments here in any way, and in fact are a fairly blatant attempt to derail the discussion.

The highlighted sentence is a straw man.

While I enjoy teaching about logical arguments, you'll forgive me if I continue to focus on the substantive developments from here on in. Thanks for posting, tho.
LOL, judging by that example of an "appeal to hypocrisy fallacy," I think you're a little fuzzy on what an "argument" is, much less a logical argument.
WilliamSeger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th May 2018, 04:30 PM   #357
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Can’t imagine why you find those questions interesting. Method terminated? What methods are there and what difference does that make?
You're not this obtuse. Its about a paper trail and verifiability.
Followup question. Is there a letter of termination?
Was Cohen Trump's lawyer when he was acting as a lobbyist for AT&T? COLUMBUS NOVO? Isn't that a conflict of interest?
Old 12th May 2018, 04:38 PM   #358
The Big Dog

Originally Posted by WilliamSeger View Post
LOL, judging by that example of an "appeal to hypocrisy fallacy," I think you're a little fuzzy on what an "argument" is, much less a logical argument.
That is a actual quote of an actual post “responding” to one of my posts, although I absolutely agree that is not at all a logical argument.

Happy to see some consensus here!
Old 12th May 2018, 04:57 PM   #359
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

That is a actual quote of an actual post “responding” to one of my posts, although I absolutely agree that is not at all a logical argument.

Happy to see some consensus here!
What consensus? You're just playing the diversion game.
Old 12th May 2018, 05:04 PM   #360
fuelair
Banned

Seeing what you want again? It’s a lot fun to watch.
Not seeing what we want to, seeing all the evil that trumpf and his bbuddies have caused and are trying to cause more of.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics