IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags !MOD BOX WARNING! , donald trump , Trump administration , Trump controversies

Closed Thread
Old 26th June 2018, 04:22 PM   #3201
Andy_Ross
Penultimate Amazing

trump tweets

"A Harley-Davidson should never be built in another country-never! Their employees and customers are already very angry at them. If they move, watch, it will be the beginning of the end - they surrendered, they quit! The Aura will be gone and they will be taxed like never before!"

Harleys are **** anyway. Why would anyone want to buy one apart from nostalgia and a sense of patriotism?

They have a big problem in that their sales are falling as they are seen for what they are, bikes for nostalgic old men.

Last edited by Andy_Ross; 26th June 2018 at 04:24 PM.
Andy_Ross is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th June 2018, 04:27 PM   #3202
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Trump has an easy option. Just stop with the tariffs. I bet he'd find a willingness on the part of our Western Hemisphere and European partners to take a combined stance on Chinese dumping of steel on all our markets. America First seems to mean that we lose our jobs first.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th June 2018, 04:52 PM   #3203
Minoosh
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by BobTheCoward View Post
I bet fake quote. Anyone want to put their Sig for a week up against me on this?
You're betting a handgun?

Never mind, I figured it out.
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th June 2018, 04:57 PM   #3204
Cain
Straussian

Ha, I love it. So much winning. If liberals lose their **** at Trump 1.0, I can't wait to see all the tears when they get marched off to the concentration camps.
Cain is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th June 2018, 04:57 PM   #3205
Minoosh
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
Trump has an easy option. Just stop with the tariffs. I bet he'd find a willingness on the part of our Western Hemisphere and European partners to take a combined stance on Chinese dumping of steel on all our markets. America First seems to mean that we lose our jobs first.
I think he has these placebo tariffs - fake tariffs? - that he can impose and cancel at will just because he's figured out they get a reaction. I'm not sure Trump even cares. As a matter of fact I'm pretty sure he doesn't care, as long as someone is paying attention to him. Does he really think promising U.S. consumers they'll pay more for products is a good strategy?
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th June 2018, 05:01 PM   #3206
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
trump tweets

"A Harley-Davidson should never be built in another country-never! Their employees and customers are already very angry at them. If they move, watch, it will be the beginning of the end - they surrendered, they quit! The Aura will be gone and they will be taxed like never before!"

Harleys are **** anyway. Why would anyone want to buy one apart from nostalgia and a sense of patriotism?

They have a big problem in that their sales are falling as they are seen for what they are, bikes for nostalgic old men.
Does he have no clue there are already Harley factories in a number of countries?
Skeptic Ginger is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th June 2018, 05:14 PM   #3207
Mumbles
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
Does he have no clue there are already Harley factories in a number of countries?
C'mon now, you know he has no clue about reality in general.
Mumbles is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th June 2018, 06:19 PM   #3208
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by Fudbucker View Post
The kind of deal I'm talking about is predicated on basic trust between both parties. If Now that that's gone, we're really in trouble.

Corrected to reflect reality.

The GOP has truly burned that bridge behind them. It will be many decades, if ever, that they will be trusted by any sane mind.

Anyone who ever trusted Trump to begin with was already two wheels short of a dog cart.

"Ninety percent of the politicians give the other ten percent a bad reputation."

Last edited by quadraginta; 26th June 2018 at 06:21 PM.
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th June 2018, 06:20 PM   #3209
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by Jim_MDP View Post
Let's go with... Club Mar-a-La Cucaracha.

Still don't think "rust, mold and parasites" are gonna be on the menu though.

Probably not.

I expect they get wiped down between customers.

Now the food ... that's a different story.

"Ninety percent of the politicians give the other ten percent a bad reputation."
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th June 2018, 06:32 PM   #3210
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by quadraginta View Post
Corrected to reflect reality.

The GOP has truly burned that bridge behind them. It will be many decades, if ever, that they will be trusted by any sane mind.

Anyone who ever trusted Trump to begin with was already two wheels short of a dog cart.
I hope you are wrong, because I fear de facto one party rule by ANY political party. Power corrupts, and the Dems in a position of absolute power would become as corrupt and authoritarian as the GOP very quickly.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th June 2018, 06:34 PM   #3211
Apathia
Philosopher

A friend of mine is telling me to expect a big jump up in the popularity polls for DJT thanks to the Supreme Court ruling. He says this will especially happen if Trump now proceeds to ban more Muslim countries and the South and Central American countries immigrants, refuges, and the like are coming from.

He believes that this big positive response to Trump will secure the House and senate in November.

His reasoning is that (according to him) two thirds of Americans are like him in that they don't want Muslims and people from (latrine) countries coming to America. Like him they will be so glad that Trump is saving the nation from these enemies that they will vote him in for a second term.

I wish I could say for sure he was wrong, but I don't think Trump is going to get the bump he expects.

"Humans aren't rational creatures but rationalizing creatures."
Author Unknown
Apathia is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th June 2018, 06:47 PM   #3212
BobTheCoward
Banned

Originally Posted by Apathia View Post
A friend of mine is telling me to expect a big jump up in the popularity polls for DJT thanks to the Supreme Court ruling. He says this will especially happen if Trump now proceeds to ban more Muslim countries and the South and Central American countries immigrants, refuges, and the like are coming from.

He believes that this big positive response to Trump will secure the House and senate in November.

His reasoning is that (according to him) two thirds of Americans are like him in that they don't want Muslims and people from (latrine) countries coming to America. Like him they will be so glad that Trump is saving the nation from these enemies that they will vote him in for a second term.

I wish I could say for sure he was wrong, but I don't think Trump is going to get the bump he expects.
Does he realize that if he is correct and that Trump is in the same wavelength, then that position does violate the supreme court ruling and also means they got it wrong in thinking it wasn't a Muslim ban?
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th June 2018, 06:53 PM   #3213
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

SCOTUS decision is as such "one cannot look for animus outside of the wording of a law." Except for the bakery decision in which they looked past the working of the law for animus. Essentially, the SCOTUS majority has no regard for law, precedence, or consistency.
1. He'd never do that. 2. Okay but he's not currently doing it. 3. Okay but he's not currently technically doing it. 4. Okay but everyone does it. 5. He's doing it, we can't stop him, no point in complaining about it. 6. We all knew he was going to do it which... makes it okay somehow. 7. It's perfectly fine that's he's doing it.
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th June 2018, 07:19 PM   #3214
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

WHy would you want a bigot for a friend?

And I think Trump has sort of maxed out the Bigot vote. Very few votes to get there he has not already got.

Robert Heinlein.

Last edited by dudalb; 26th June 2018 at 07:27 PM.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th June 2018, 08:23 PM   #3215
Wayward son
Muse

Originally Posted by thaiboxerken View Post
Essentially, the SCOTUS majority has no regard for law, precedence, or consistency.
I would actually say that goes for pretty much the whole Supreme Court. For most cases the 9 each start out with their own position based on their political views and then look for law that they can say supports their political position. For a high percentage of cases anyone who pays even a little bit of attention can generally guess what 7 or 8 members of SCOTUS are going to vote based simply on politics. Having a long track record of pure unblinking ideological certainty is practically a necessity to be considered for the court.

This doesn't happen in most other modern democracies. In Canada the SC is not a political body. No one knows the political views of justices, and because the appointment process is not a political one, and is not fought over by the most extreme interest groups, having a long track record of a strong ideological bent politically would more often than not basically disqualify you (with the odd exception such as Harper appointing Brown).
Wayward son is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th June 2018, 08:40 PM   #3216
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Scalia has made disregarding precedence acceptable in Heller. Now it's all about ideology.
Old 26th June 2018, 08:51 PM   #3217
Apathia
Philosopher

Originally Posted by BobTheCoward View Post
Does he realize that if he is correct and that Trump is in the same wavelength, then that position does violate the supreme court ruling and also means they got it wrong in thinking it wasn't a Muslim ban?
I don't think there are going to be any realizations.

Author Unknown
Apathia is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th June 2018, 08:53 PM   #3218
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
Scalia has made disregarding precedence acceptable in Heller. Now it's all about ideology.
Yep. Wayward tries to make the case that it was always this way, and to a point he might be correct. However, they used to try to hide it. Now, the majority is announcing it with a bullhorn.
1. He'd never do that. 2. Okay but he's not currently doing it. 3. Okay but he's not currently technically doing it. 4. Okay but everyone does it. 5. He's doing it, we can't stop him, no point in complaining about it. 6. We all knew he was going to do it which... makes it okay somehow. 7. It's perfectly fine that's he's doing it.
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th June 2018, 08:59 PM   #3219
Apathia
Philosopher

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
I've asked myself that a number of times.
We go back many years and many times I've helped him and he has helped me. In some respects he's like family, and would you have a bigot in your family?

But if you're correct about things, the time is going to come where it will be "brother against brother," because I can see him supporting an autocratic government, as long as it put people in their place.

Also, alas, I think he'd have unfriended me already were it not for my white privilege.

Ironically, he didn't vote for Trump, but if Trump can give him the appearance of a whiter world, he'll vote for him next opportunity.

Author Unknown
Old 26th June 2018, 09:05 PM   #3220
Mumbles
Philosopher

THat's what I wonder.

None of my actual friends (as opposed to the people who think of me when they say "some of my best friends are black!", but who I do not consider friends at all) voted for Dolt 45. I have, however, had childhood friends who drifted into the Nation of Islam, hotepery (consider this another strain of misogyny and anti-white racism, but with a healthy dose of "Afrocentrism" in it), and the like. And truth told, I just can't be around them much any more.

Quote:
And I think Trump has sort of maxed out the Bigot vote. Very few votes to get there he has not already got.
This is why the GOP is pushing voter suppression instead - closing voting locations, onerous ID requirements, getting rid of sunday early voting (this is when many black churches, in particular, organize to drive people to polling sites who can't make it on their own), and so forth. Expect this to increase in the future, and I would not be shocked at all if Cheeto Benito tried to outright cancel voting in 2020 if not 2018.

Doubt he can, since that's run at the state level, but he's all about greed and bigotry, and the federal GOP is now tied to him inexorably.
Mumbles is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th June 2018, 10:54 PM   #3221
Aridas
Crazy Little Green Dragon

Originally Posted by The Greater Fool View Post
How is it possible to cast multiple votes against Trump/Republicans in the upcoming elections?

I'm asking for a friend.
Talk to the people around you. Find which ones weren't going to vote. Convince them to vote. Multiple votes!
Old 27th June 2018, 12:03 AM   #3222
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

And they are background noise. The failed genetic experiments and products of incest who go to his rallies are just there and there's no point in courting them. What's in play is a small part of the electorate who vote the lesser of two evils. You've got to push them just a bit, like about three percentage points to see Trump as the greater of two evils.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 27th June 2018, 12:10 AM   #3223
uke2se
Penultimate Amazing

A friend of yours said that? I would suggest you drop him as a friend post haste.

"If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. " Karl Popper, The Open Society and Its Enemies Vol. 1
uke2se is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 27th June 2018, 12:18 AM   #3224
Hlafordlaes
Disorder of Kilopi

Gotta love GOP money management.

Quote:
Fortune: In a decade, federal debt will reach an overwhelming $33 trillion, the equivalent of 113% of GDP—and $6 trillion higher than the CBO had forecast before the Trump agenda passed. Interest on U.S. borrowings would become the fastest-growing item in the federal budget, more than tripling to almost $1.1 trillion annually. At that point, carrying costs would equal one-half of spending on Medicare, and if inflation or interest rates exceeded the relatively low thresholds in the CBO’s forecasts, the interest bill would soar even higher. “That increase represents money the U.S. is just throwing away—that’s crowding out the funding on everything from health care to the military,” says Marc Goldwein, the CRFB’s senior policy director.
Thought these boys wanted a strong military. Oops, decades of GOP debt-fueled "growth" have taken their inevitable toll. When voters let themselves be bought out and deluded by such transparent shenanigans, shouldn't be surprised Hell shows up in a hand basket.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (40.1 KB, 22 views)

Last edited by Hlafordlaes; 27th June 2018 at 12:25 AM.
Hlafordlaes is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 27th June 2018, 12:29 AM   #3225
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

You are telling me that there is more to fiscal responsibility than blaming the Democrats?
Old 27th June 2018, 01:08 AM   #3226
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
Given the fact that:

1) I doubt any of the liberal Justices will be resigning any time soon. (Given the crap the republicans pulled on Obama, they will probably arrange to stay on the court even if they die... "Supreme court Justices Zombie Ginsberg" anybody? I can certainly see them not wanting to reward the republicans with any more court seats.)

2) The Republicans invoked the 'nuclear' option, to make it easier to confirm supreme court justices

3) There is a chance that the political pendulum will swing the other way, and the Democrats could end up taking the white house in 2020, as well as the senate. (Remember, Trump's personal popularity is stuck at around 40% and given the fact that there aren't many more racists around, he may have a hard time winning re-election.)

There is a very good chance that this could all backfire on the republicans. Imagine the type of supreme court nominations someone like Pelosi or Sanders could make now that the republicans have called off any rules of decorum.
I wish I shared your optimism. I firmly believe that unless there are exceptional circumstances like an economic crash, Donald Trump being arrested or an amazing and inspirational Democratic Party candidate being found that the President has a better than even chance of being re-elected - if he chooses to stand.

I say this because although he "only" has 40% support, that 40% are highly motivated to go out and vote for him and his racist policies. They're also the 40% least likely to have their vote lost by gerrymandering and/or voter suppression. OTOH a significant proportion of the 45%+ who may be thinking of voting for the other candidate need to be inspired to get out and vote and/or risk losing their vote due to the aforementioned gerrymandering and/or voter suppression.

I therefore think that the GOP will likely have the Presidency until (at least) 2024 and will retain control of both House and Senate for most, if not all, of that period. Those elder judges aren't going to last for ever and so a 6:3 or 7:2 GOP-leaning SCOTUS is very much on the cards. They will make the laws for a generation so look for states to get to choose on matters such as:
  • Legality of abortion
  • Teaching evolution
  • Gay rights
  • "Separate but equal" treatment of the races
  • The role of religion in lawmaking

This will allow the majority of the US landmass (though a minority of the population) to slip back to the 1950's where they're clearly more comfortable. Indeed, it may be like an antebellum US where progress is made in the integrated, forward looking states and the backward looking segregationist states talk about things like charm and matters whilst sucking hard on the teat of the government handout machine.
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 27th June 2018, 01:24 AM   #3227
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
Quote:
Trump said during the election he wanted a "Muslim ban". He told Guilliani to help him implement a "Muslim ban".

So the supreme court (at least one member that was picked under shady circumstances) decided "You know, we're not going to pay attention to what people said". So much for evidence.
Actions speak louder than words. Instead of assuming that Trump told the truth on the campaign trail, why not examine what he actually did?
Because the words he spoke on the campaign trail (and after the election to Guilliani) point to his intent.
Quote:
That doesn't explain why North Korea and Venezuela are on the list. It doesn't explain why Indonesia and Saudi Arabia are not on the list.
As others have pointed out... there were multiple iterations of the ban. the first one ran into legal problems. Basically, the ban is just the most bigoted policy Trump could implement but still cover it with a fig leaf of false respectability.

And the fact that North Korea and Venezuela are on the list doesn't mean the Muslim ban is not based on religious bigotry any more than the fact that Nazi Germany killed gay people didn't mean that anti=semitism wasn't a driving force in the holocaust.
Quote:
It also doesn't explain why Muslim-majority Chad was taken off the list, ostensibly for improving its security--the stated goal of the ban.
Ah yes, improving security. this was a bogus justification. Given the fact that:

1) there hadn't been a lot of terrorist activity from individuals immigrating from the countries listed in the ban (Most U.S. terrorist activity is pretty much home grown)
2) The U.S. already had significant vetting of individuals coming from those parts of the world (for example, refugees could easily wait a couple of years before admission into the U.S., undergoing several rounds of interviews with both the U.S. and U.N.)

From: https://apnews.com/39f1f8e4ceed4a30a...el-ban-nations
Analysts at the Homeland Security Department’s intelligence arm found insufficient evidence that citizens of seven Muslim-majority countries included in President Donald Trump’s travel ban pose a terror threat to the United States.

So, anyone who's not a racist would really have a hard time justifying the ban as being necessary to "improve security".

In fact, if anything, the muslim ban actually HARMS americans, since:
- Many doctors have emigrated to the U.S. from the affected countries, and the U.S. needs more medical people. So by supporting a racist policy with the false goal of "keeping America safe", you're actually making it worse off.
- By targeting countries like Iraq, the U.S. may be alienating potential allies, people who might have been willing to assist the U.S. Now that the U.S. has told them "We are racist against you", good luck getting them to help out.

So you have a president who spoke at length about wanting a muslim ban, who originally tried to implement a ban that contained only muslim minority countries (before deciding he needed to hide his bigotry a little bit) that actually had the effect of making America less safe.

I'm Mary Poppins Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 27th June 2018, 01:58 AM   #3228
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Mod InfoThread was getting a tad long so split to new continuation thread: http://www.internationalskeptics.com...d.php?t=330349
Posted By:Darat
If only it were all so simple! If only there were evil people somewhere insidiously committing evil deeds, and it were necessary only to separate them from the rest of us and destroy them. But the line dividing good and evil cuts through the heart of every human being. And who is willing to destroy a piece of his own heart?” Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn, The Gulag Archipelago
Darat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Closed Thread

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics