IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags !MOD BOX WARNING! , donald trump , Trump administration , Trump controversies

Closed Thread
Old 11th May 2018, 09:27 AM   #81
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Squeegee Beckenheim View Post
WTF? This is bizarre.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 11th May 2018, 09:36 AM   #82
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Originally Posted by Squeegee Beckenheim View Post
Putin is willing to oversee US cybersecurity for a fraction of the current costs.
Old 11th May 2018, 10:39 AM   #83
portlandatheist
Illuminator

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
And probably without really knowing why they hate "Libs" so much.
I don't think it's the classic differences between Liberals and Consravatives over things like fiscal policy, the size or role of government, etc, about which intelligent people can disagree and not hate the other guy;it more pure tribalism.
The guys attack on George Will is indicative: It's all about mindless hatred of your opponent and blind worship of Dear Leader. That Trump is flying in the face of classic Republican Conservatism in matters like free trade goes right by them.
Reminds of this David Brooks piece:
Quote:
Why has Trump dominated? Part of it is tribalism. In any tribal war people tend to bury individual concerns and rally to their leader and the party line. As late as 2015, Republican voters overwhelmingly supported free trade. Now they overwhelmingly oppose it. The shift didn't happen because of some mass reappraisal of the evidence; it's just that tribal orthodoxy shifted and everyone followed.
For them, it isn't about conservative policies, platform or ideology, it is pure tribal vindictiveness.
portlandatheist is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 11th May 2018, 10:41 AM   #84
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

CHina just told Trump they will continue to trade with Iran, and ,in diplomatic language, of course where he coud put his sanctions.
Yup. More and more, Trump is isolating the U.S. and weakening its influence in the world.

China will pick up influence in areas the U.S. is neglecting, in places like Iran (where the U.S. will probably go it alone on sanctions), or in countries where U.S. foreign aid is being cut.

Traditional allies and trading partners that Trump is in the habit of dumping on will search elsewhere for alliances and trading deals. (For example, pulling out of the TPP didn't end the deal; instead, it went ahead without the U.S. That's millions in potential trade that the U.S. is neglecting.)

Trump's economic policies will end up harming its economy long term, so it won't have the economic impact in a decade that it does now.

Immigration policies will mean a lower growth rate.

I'm Mary Poppins Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 11th May 2018, 10:59 AM   #85
Andy_Ross
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Fast Eddie B View Post
Probably silly to keep pointing out such made up stuff, but yesterday, Trump said, “"We just approved $700 billion for our military," Trump said. "So we’re going to be having the best equipment ever known. And next year, $716 billion. So I wanted to let you know. And, by the way — I know you don’t care about this — but that also includes raises for our military. First time in 10 years."

That was at a Whitehouse Lunch for military spouses.

Ronald Klain tweeted

US armed forces are 40% non-white. The odds that a group of 52 random military spouses would contain no people of color are lower than 100 trillion to 1. So...

https://t.co/zi6XzmzYBd

Last edited by Andy_Ross; 11th May 2018 at 11:00 AM.
Andy_Ross is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 11th May 2018, 11:00 AM   #86
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

A Trump supporter accusing anybody of being corrupt is a sure fire Irony Meter wrecker.
News just showed Trump at his latest campaign rally. The crowd is shouting "drain the swamp" as Trump smiles and claps.

Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 11th May 2018, 11:09 AM   #87
Dragon
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
Yup. More and more, Trump is isolating the U.S. and weakening its influence in the world.

China will pick up influence in areas the U.S. is neglecting, in places like Iran (where the U.S. will probably go it alone on sanctions), or in countries where U.S. foreign aid is being cut.

Traditional allies and trading partners that Trump is in the habit of dumping on will search elsewhere for alliances and trading deals. (For example, pulling out of the TPP didn't end the deal; instead, it went ahead without the U.S. That's millions in potential trade that the U.S. is neglecting.)

Trump's economic policies will end up harming its economy long term, so it won't have the economic impact in a decade that it does now.

You might be a dinosaur but I believe you have a better handle on the future than the current occupant of the White House.
China's global influence has been growing for some years now and this decision by Trump (and Bolton?) will only help increase that influence even more.
Does he want to push the EU, never mind all those Asia-Pacific countries into closer ties with China?
At the moment, between the US and China, which country has apparently the more rational and stable leadership?
Dragon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 11th May 2018, 11:10 AM   #88
Steve
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
News just showed Trump at his latest campaign rally. The crowd is shouting "drain the swamp" as Trump smiles and claps.

I despair for your future, America. Many of these idiots are going to be around for a lot more years.
Old 11th May 2018, 11:22 AM   #89
Regnad Kcin
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post

Ronald Klain tweeted

US armed forces are 40% non-white. The odds that a group of 52 random military spouses would contain no people of color are lower than 100 trillion to 1. So...

Wait, what? All 52 spouses in attendance were white?!
Old 11th May 2018, 11:43 AM   #90
Roger Ramjets
Philosopher

Yup. And more and more, those of us who hate America are loving it!
Old 11th May 2018, 11:43 AM   #91
logger
Banned

Originally Posted by Dragon View Post
You might be a dinosaur but I believe you have a better handle on the future than the current occupant of the White House.
China's global influence has been growing for some years now and this decision by Trump (and Bolton?) will only help increase that influence even more.
Does he want to push the EU, never mind all those Asia-Pacific countries into closer ties with China?
At the moment, between the US and China, which country has apparently the more rational and stable leadership?
It is hilarious that you think these countries would drop the United States for the stupid decision to trade with China.

The reason this decision isn’t so easy for these countries is because China, Russia, Iran, and many others are corrupt. It’s going to be very difficult for these countries to just ignore what we want. Trump knows this and unlike the sissy wimp democrats, he will use it to our advantage.
logger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 11th May 2018, 11:44 AM   #92
logger
Banned

Originally Posted by Roger Ramjets View Post
Yup. And more and more, those of us who hate America are loving it!
And we Americans love defeating those haters over and over again.
logger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 11th May 2018, 11:45 AM   #93
CapelDodger
Penultimate Amazing

Ronald Klain tweeted

From the link this appears to be a photo of Air Force officers' wives, and that Air Force officers are predominantly white. If that's the case, and on the same assumption that racial inter-marriage is still not common in the US, the photo's not that remarkable. I'm sure it'll still do some small damage, though, which is fine.

God can make a cow out of a tree, but has He ever done so? Therefore show some reason why a thing is so, or cease to hold that it is so - William of Conches, c1150
CapelDodger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 11th May 2018, 12:44 PM   #94
portlandatheist
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post

The lack of self awareness is astonishing. Manafort, Cohen, and Trump are sleazy and corrupt to the core.
portlandatheist is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 11th May 2018, 12:53 PM   #95
Dragon
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by logger View Post
It is hilarious that you think these countries would drop the United States for the stupid decision to trade with China.

The reason this decision isn’t so easy for these countries is because China, Russia, Iran, and many others are corrupt. It’s going to be very difficult for these countries to just ignore what we want. Trump knows this and unlike the sissy wimp democrats, he will use it to our advantage.
I'm not laughing, it's not what I want to see. Although there is a sort of grim amusement here if you think that Trump is capable of out manoeuvering the Chinese. They're playing the long game; Trump can hardly think to the end of his next sentence.

Also, the UK and the rest of the EU are sick to the back teeth of Putin's Russia so I expect we'll leave any cosying up to that bunch of gangsters to the Trump administration. They have a head start anyway, what with all those "back channels".
Dragon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 11th May 2018, 12:53 PM   #96
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by portlandatheist View Post
The lack of self awareness is astonishing. Manafort, Cohen, and Trump are sleazy and corrupt to the core.
But.... But... Clinton's emails!

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 11th May 2018, 01:02 PM   #97
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

France has given notice that they are going to continue to trade with Iran.

Like France was going to give up a profitable market because Donnie told them to.
"Money Talks,No One Walks" is a principal that Trump should understand...

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 11th May 2018, 01:06 PM   #98
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

What is disturbing is that a great many Republican Leaders know this, know Trump's policies, all morals aside, are just plain bad business decisions,but they still support him.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 11th May 2018, 01:07 PM   #99
Fast Eddie B
Philosopher

But.... But... Clinton's emails!
Not helpful.
Fast Eddie B is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 11th May 2018, 01:09 PM   #100
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

I'm not laughing, it's not what I want to see. Although there is a sort of grim amusement here if you think that Trump is capable of out manoeuvering the Chinese. They're playing the long game; Trump can hardly think to the end of his next sentence.

Also, the UK and the rest of the EU are sick to the back teeth of Putin's Russia so I expect we'll leave any cosying up to that bunch of gangsters to the Trump administration. They have a head start anyway, what with all those "back channels".
"I am commiting the Noble House to Chinese Time"....

Robert Heinlein.
Old 11th May 2018, 01:17 PM   #101
CORed
Penultimate Amazing

Reality is most normal people don’t pay attention to it because every politician does it. Trumps problem is every dem and leftist have this derangement syndrome going on.
Trump has taken lying to a whole new level. While I think it's true that all politicians tell some lies, most put some kind of effort into making the lies believable. Trump, OTOH, is the only politician I have ever seen tell three conflicting lies in the same day, and habitually tell lies that can be refuted with about two minutes of checking. He is not only a habitual liar, he is spectacularly bad at it.
CORed is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 11th May 2018, 01:27 PM   #102
Andy_Ross
Penultimate Amazing

Indeed the UK Govt have been courting the Chinese quite intensively for the last few years. I think they see the way the wind is blowing despite their shambles over Brexit.
Andy_Ross is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 11th May 2018, 01:27 PM   #103
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by CORed View Post
Trump has taken lying to a whole new level. While I think it's true that all politicians tell some lies, most put some kind of effort into making the lies believable. Trump, OTOH, is the only politician I have ever seen tell three conflicting lies in the same day, and habitually tell lies that can be refuted with about two minutes of checking. He is not only a habitual liar, he is spectacularly bad at it.
ANd that is what gets to me about Trump. He is such an inept liar. it not a calculated act with him,it compulsive. He lies in situations were most politicians would not bother to. He lies without giving it any thought or consideration.
He is making Baron Munchausen roll over in his grave.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 11th May 2018, 01:32 PM   #104
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

And another thing... most people usually lie when it is to their advantage. Trump lies when there is no need to lie. Heck, he sometimes even lies when it actually puts him at a disadvantage.

Take for example his claim that on his inauguration day it didn't rain until after his speech. We know that's not the case, that it rained during his speech. So why would he bother to lie about such a mundane thing? Does he really have a lot of supporters who think he's a wizard who's capable of controlling the weather? He could have told the truth... even made jokes about it. Heck, he could have even benefitted by using the rain as an excuse for the smaller crowds.

We are Groot - Groot
Old 11th May 2018, 01:54 PM   #105
Andy_Ross
Penultimate Amazing

Trump on Healthcare

"The American people deserve a healthcare system that takes care of them – not one that takes advantage of them. We will work every day to ensure all Americans have access to the quality, affordable medication they need and deserve. We will not rest until the job is done!"
Old 11th May 2018, 01:56 PM   #106
Arcade22
Philosopher

Quote:
In trade negotiations, the White House wants to put pressure on other countries to increase the prices of brand-name drugs, with the expectation that pharmaceutical companies would then lower prices here at home.

America’s trading partners “need to pay more because they’re using socialist price controls, market access controls, to get unfair pricing,” said Mr. Azar, a former top executive at the drugmaker Eli Lilly and Company. “And they’re doing it on the backs of their patients. God help you if you get cancer in some of these countries.”

Other nations, also struggling with high drug prices, scorned Mr. Trump’s advice on this issue.

“Drug manufacturers in the United States set their own prices, and that is not the norm elsewhere in the world,” a spokesman for the 28-member European Union said on Friday. “E.U. member states have government entities that either negotiate drug prices or decide not to cover drugs whose prices they deem excessive. No similar negotiating happens in the U.S.”

Dr. Mitchell Levine, the chairman of Canada’s Patented Medicine Prices Review Board, which reviews prices to ensure they are not excessive, said in an interview, “With our price regulations, drug companies are still making profits — just lower profits than in the United States.”
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/05/11/u...rugs-plan.html

Yes folks, you are reading that right. The rest of the worlds needs to pay more just so the poor, downtrodden folks in America can get said medicine cheaper (because presumably those Pharmaceutical corporations would lower their prices, simply out of the kindness in their hearts).

Besides, no one is forcing American drug companies to sell their medicaments to the rest of the world at "unfair prices", right? It seems to me that US pharmaceutical companies are perfectly fine with selling their life-saving medicine cheaper to the rest of the world, while Americans become diseased and die only because their government doesn't want to reign in excessive profit-maximization. I say we let them. That's freedom baby! Freedumb!!

And no, Cuba is not a brutal and corrupt dictatorship, and it's definitely less so than Sweden. - dann

Last edited by Arcade22; 11th May 2018 at 01:57 PM.
Arcade22 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 11th May 2018, 02:00 PM   #107
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Among your many failures appears to be a lack of understanding of a simple concept: That international relations (including trade, diplomacy, and military cooperation) exist in a binary, all-or-nothing state.

The fact is, things are a lot more complex, and a country can be harmed (through reduced trade, or reduced diplomatic support) even if the country is not 'dropped'. Instead, what you get are a steady stream of small negative impacts which end up causing significant damage at the end.

So, the U.S. pulled out of the TPP. Does it mean all countries involved in the TPP stop trading with the U.S.? No, but it means it makes it harder for U.S. producers to sell stuff overseas. Your U.S. farmers and manufacturers will have less cash coming in because the market for their products will favor suppliers from Canada or Australia.

So the U.S. pulled out of the Iranian nuclear deal. China, France (and probably other EU members) plan to continue trading with Iran. Does that mean all U.S. trade is dead? No, but it means that many possible business deals are. Boeing was set to sell over 100 passenger jets to Iran. According to Boeing, it would have supported ~100,000 jobs. And now those orders may end up going to go to Airbus, or to China. Do you think the loss of those jobs will be GOOD for the U.S.?

Quote:
The reason this decision isn’t so easy for these countries is because China, Russia, Iran, and many others are corrupt.
Yup. There are many corrupt countries. In fact, there's one country who's leader is a racist, and gained power through the assistance of Russia (which pretty much qualifies it as a "banana republic".) Many people that have been associated with the current leadership of the country have been charged with significant crimes (many of them have plead guilty).
Quote:
It’s going to be very difficult for these countries to just ignore what we want.
Not as difficult as you might think, and given the fact that the U.S. has 1) shown itself to be unreliable by pulling out of various international agreements and trade deals, and 2) has an economy that will likely crash thanks to huge amounts of debt that will be racked up to give tax cuts to the wealthy, I think its going to become easier and easier for countries to ignore what the U.S. wants.

Why would a country bother trying to find favor with the U.S.? They aren't interested in providing foreign aid (which means poorer countries won't have much interest in what the U.S. wants). Their protectionist trade policies will mean rich countries won't have much use for dealing with them. They can't be trusted to stay in deals that they sign. So why shouldn't countries ignore what the U.S. wants?

We are Groot - Groot
Old 11th May 2018, 02:09 PM   #108
logger
Banned

I couldn’t care less
Old 11th May 2018, 02:17 PM   #109
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Arcade22 View Post
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/05/11/u...rugs-plan.html

Yes folks, you are reading that right. The rest of the worlds needs to pay more just so the poor, downtrodden folks in America can get said medicine cheaper (because presumably those Pharmaceutical corporations would lower their prices, simply out of the kindness in their hearts).

Besides, no one is forcing American drug companies to sell their medicaments to the rest of the world at "unfair prices", right? It seems to me that US pharmaceutical companies are perfectly fine with selling their life-saving medicine cheaper to the rest of the world, while Americans become diseased and die only because their government doesn't want to reign in excessive profit-maximization. I say we let them. That's freedom baby! Freedumb!!
Drug pricing and manufacturing are...weird. Its easy to condemn drug manufacturers (Look! Charging hundreds of dollars for a pill that costs pennies to make). And the industry does make very large profit margins.

But drug companies DO have very high research costs, and the cost to bring new drugs to market (assuming the drug actually works) can easily costs millions. Its a high-risk/high-reward situation. (And many drug companies DO end up going out of business. See: https://www.the-scientist.com/?artic...s-that-Failed/) Because of the high risks, I have no problem with drug companies earning high profit margins, because I recognize that without the possibility of high profits people may decide to invest their money in less risky ventures (thus the possibility of new drugs in the future goes down).

Now, many other countries do have lower drug costs than the U.S. I think what's happening is that the U.S. is the primary market (where drug makers can justify the risk of developing new drugs with higher prices), whereas sales to other countries such as Canada (where the government limits prices) end up being the 'gravy'.

We are Groot - Groot
Old 11th May 2018, 02:18 PM   #110
logger
Banned

Among your many failures appears to be a lack of understanding of a simple concept: That international relations (including trade, diplomacy, and military cooperation) exist in a binary, all-or-nothing state.
Among my many failures, lol. Are you incapable of silly personal attacks
Quote:
The fact is, things are a lot more complex, and a country can be harmed (through reduced trade, or reduced diplomatic support) even if the country is not 'dropped'. Instead, what you get are a steady stream of small negative impacts which end up causing significant damage at the end.
None of this changes what I posted
Quote:
So, the U.S. pulled out of the TPP. Does it mean all countries involved in the TPP stop trading with the U.S.? No, but it means it makes it harder for U.S. producers to sell stuff overseas. Your U.S. farmers and manufacturers will have less cash coming in because the market for their products will favor suppliers from Canada or Australia.
We won’t be pigeon holed into your terrible deal. The countries you mention are now pigeon holed into a bad deal.
Quote:
So the U.S. pulled out of the Iranian nuclear deal. China, France (and probably other EU members) plan to continue trading with Iran. Does that mean all U.S. trade is dead? No, but it means that many possible business deals are. Boeing was set to sell over 100 passenger jets to Iran. According to Boeing, it would have supported ~100,000 jobs. And now those orders may end up going to go to Airbus, or to China. Do you think the loss of those jobs will be GOOD for the U.S.?
Again, we won’t be pigeon holed into dealing with a very corrupt country, you’re perfectly fine with it, that is fine with me.

Quote:
Yup. There are many corrupt countries. In fact, there's one country who's leader is a racist, and gained power through the assistance of Russia (which pretty much qualifies it as a "banana republic".) Many people that have been associated with the current leadership of the country have been charged with significant crimes (many of them have plead guilty).
Not even reality, some of those cases are now being defended. We’ll have to see how they turn out.
Quote:
Not as difficult as you might think, and given the fact that the U.S. has 1) shown itself to be unreliable by pulling out of various international agreements and trade deals, and 2) has an economy that will likely crash thanks to huge amounts of debt that will be racked up to give tax cuts to the wealthy, I think its going to become easier and easier for countries to ignore what the U.S. wants.
Likely to crash? Lol that right there shows you don’t know what you’re talking about.
Quote:
Why would a country bother trying to find favor with the U.S.? They aren't interested in providing foreign aid (which means poorer countries won't have much interest in what the U.S. wants). Their protectionist trade policies will mean rich countries won't have much use for dealing with them. They can't be trusted to stay in deals that they sign. So why shouldn't countries ignore what the U.S. wants?
Lol
This has all been said before and time after time it shows we come out on top every time.
Old 11th May 2018, 02:20 PM   #111
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by portlandatheist View Post
Cohen was being paid millions for offering the possibility of getting access to the president. Not for acruallu getting access to the president, but the possibility of access

If that's not the swamp of washington dc, I don't know what is
Gunter Haas, the 'leading British expert,' was a graphologist who advised couples, based on their handwriting characteristics, if they were compatible for marriage. I would submit that couples idiotic enough to do this are probably quite suitable for each other. It's nice when stupid people find love. - Ludovic Kennedy
pgwenthold is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 11th May 2018, 02:23 PM   #112
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

What is amusing about logger is he is a perfect example of what Orwell called "Duckspeak" pushing out slogans and ideological garbage without stopping to think about what he is saying ,just like a duck quacks.

That his duckspeak often clashes with what Trump says makes it more amusing. Logger describesd (quite correctly) the Russian government as corrupt, ignoring the fact that Trump seems hellbent on being good buddies with Putin and protecting Russia's interest at the expense of America's.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 11th May 2018, 02:25 PM   #113
logger
Banned

It’s exciting to see where this goes with respect to NAFTA

https://theconservativetreehouse.com...n/#more-149147
Old 11th May 2018, 02:26 PM   #114
logger
Banned

What is amusing about logger is he is a perfect example of what Orwell called "Duckspeak" pushing out slogans and ideological garbage without stopping to think about what he is saying ,just like a duck quacks.

That his duckspeak often clashes with what Trump says makes it more amusing. Logger describesd (quite correctly) the Russian government as corrupt, ignoring the fact that Trump seems hellbent on being good buddies with Putin and protecting Russia's interest at the expense of America's.
Instead of more silly personal attacks, why don’t you just address what I posted.
Old 11th May 2018, 02:26 PM   #115
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Steve View Post
I despair for your future, America. Many of these idiots are going to be around for a lot more years.
I think I have made my complete and total contempt for Donnie and his die hard supporters clear, but I am not going to get upset that he gets cheered at a rally where the crowd was carefully handpicked so that only The True Believers showed up.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 11th May 2018, 02:27 PM   #116
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by pgwenthold View Post
Cohen was being paid millions for offering the possibility of getting access to the president. Not for acruallu getting access to the president, but the possibility of access

If that's not the swamp of washington dc, I don't know what is
Won't be the first time that it's a case of "Throw The Rascals Out, and Bring The New Rascals In".

Robert Heinlein.
Old 11th May 2018, 02:28 PM   #117
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Instead of more silly personal attacks, why don’t you just address what I posted.
I did. Donnie sure seems anxious to be buddy buddy with the leader of a country you called "corrupt".

Robert Heinlein.
Old 11th May 2018, 02:33 PM   #118
Arcade22
Philosopher

Now, many other countries do have lower drug costs than the U.S. I think what's happening is that the U.S. is the primary market (where drug makers can justify the risk of developing new drugs with higher prices), whereas sales to other countries such as Canada (where the government limits prices) end up being the 'gravy'.
Thank you guys. Thank you for your sacrifice. I wouldn't have it any other way.

And no, Cuba is not a brutal and corrupt dictatorship, and it's definitely less so than Sweden. - dann
Arcade22 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 11th May 2018, 02:41 PM   #119
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Arcade22 View Post
Quote:
Thank you guys. Thank you for your sacrifice. I wouldn't have it any other way.
I'm not really sure how much of that was meant to be sarcasm. If it was actually meant to be a serious comment, then I don't think it was a deliberate "sacrifice", just the way things evolved over time.

Keep in mind that I'm in Canada (where we supposedly benefit from similar low drug prices, possibly fueled by research paid for by American sales.)

So to anyone who thinks "drug companies are greedy"... I have 2 questions:
1) What do you think their profit margins should actually be,
2) If manufacturing drugs is such an easy process, why aren't there more companies doing it? After all, there are some pretty big drug companies but if getting rich by pushing pills is so easy why aren't there more multi-billion dollar drug companies?

We are Groot - Groot
Old 11th May 2018, 02:55 PM   #120
Cabbage
Banned

The reason this decision isn’t so easy for these countries is because China, Russia, Iran, and many others are corrupt.
"You think our country's so innocent?"
Cabbage is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Closed Thread

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics