IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags !MOD BOX WARNING! , donald trump , Trump administration , Trump controversies

Closed Thread
Old 14th May 2018, 02:51 PM   #241
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Well, we now know why Trump is trying to save ZTE.

It seems China will be Contributing $500 Million to a Trump-Linked hotel Project in Indonesia.

Who would have guessed?
National Review: The details

Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 14th May 2018, 03:20 PM   #242
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Now reports that Trump talks with Hannity every night.
We have never had a situation like this our history.
Sadly, I think disaster for this country is now inevitable with Trump in the White House.Only question is how bad and in how many ways will it come.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 14th May 2018, 04:23 PM   #243
logger
Banned

Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post
He is not a President. He just plays one on TV.
This TV President sure is dismantling the previous presidents legacy.
logger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 14th May 2018, 04:28 PM   #244
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by logger View Post
He is dismantling every social gain the US has made since the 1950's.
But I think it has been shown that White Male Christian monopoly on power is what you pretty much want anyway.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 14th May 2018, 04:43 PM   #245
logger
Banned

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
He is dismantling every social gain the US has made since the 1950's.
I’ve been told it’s not good to make absolutist claims, but I know what you mean and you’re wrong.
Quote:
But I think it has been shown that White Male Christian monopoly on power is what you pretty much want anyway.
That would sure leave out a lot of people I care about. So you’re wrong again.
logger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 14th May 2018, 05:19 PM   #246
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

If only we could be nicer to the Palestinians?
It's not that simple. It's rather hard to be a world power when one of the parties you're trying to negotiate with stops taking your calls.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 14th May 2018, 05:24 PM   #247
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
The unfortunate thing here is that there are good and valid reasons to continue to sell chips to China. We don't want Qalcom and Intel to stop selling chips to China as much as we don't want China to decide the supply of chips from the US is unreliable and they need to build their own. Our national security depends on a reliable supply of microchips and our suppliers need to sell into China to remain viable.

Oh course Trump, being the whore that he is, showed his belly at the first opportunity, negating any chance we had to gain concessions without it looking like a lame effort to salvage some credibility.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 14th May 2018, 05:34 PM   #248
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

T has gone from calling out China as a currency manipulator and patent infringer to now assisting a Chinese company sanctioned for espionage.

But the GOP are fine with it.
He can pivot better than a ballerina.
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 14th May 2018, 05:39 PM   #249
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Is that the goal? I agree that Trump and you are instinctively against anything Obama did, but don't you think a measured approach is better than a knee-jerk, reactionary opposition?
Old 14th May 2018, 05:55 PM   #250
logger
Banned

Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
Is that the goal? I agree that Trump and you are instinctively against anything Obama did, but don't you think a measured approach is better than a knee-jerk, reactionary opposition?
It’s taken a year and a half to get this far, Obama’s legacy has been measured, weighed and found wanting.
Old 14th May 2018, 06:00 PM   #251
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

It’s taken a year and a half to get this far, Obama’s legacy has been measured, weighed and found wanting.
And what has Trump accomplished and how has it helped America? Has he made us safer? More prosperous for everyday Americans? Has he made us more united? Please explain to me his accomplishments and how we are better off. Cause I don't see it..
Old 14th May 2018, 06:07 PM   #252
Shalamar
Dark Lord of the JREF

And what has Trump accomplished and how has it helped America? Has he made us safer? More prosperous for everyday Americans? Has he made us more united? Please explain to me his accomplishments and how we are better off. Cause I don't see it..
The answer will be: 'He's upsetting the loser Libs! ell oh ell!'

"The truth is out there. But the lies are inside your head."
Shalamar is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 14th May 2018, 08:09 PM   #253
Stacko
Penultimate Amazing

On the ZTE thing

Obviously the new sanctions on Iran aren't going to apply to China.
Here's a good fun place we've arrived, as a nation: a senator had to say, "I guess my main problem with the President helping that group of people is that they are spies intent on harming us."
But all is fair, promoting white supremacy and "pwning the libs."
Stacko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 15th May 2018, 03:08 AM   #254
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

The polling data suggests otherwise.
Old 15th May 2018, 03:09 AM   #255
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
Bah that is using liberal ideas like Math!
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 15th May 2018, 04:23 AM   #256
Regnad Kcin
Penultimate Amazing

Obama 8th, Trump 44th.
Old 15th May 2018, 04:27 AM   #257
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by ponderingturtle View Post
Bah that is using liberal ideas like Math!
Originally Posted by Regnad Kcin View Post
Obama 8th, Trump 44th.
...and facts
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 15th May 2018, 04:40 AM   #258
logger
Banned

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
The election proves it. It’s why hildabeast is getting drunk on Chardonnay.
Old 15th May 2018, 05:54 AM   #259
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

Whereas Trump is high on life (to the extent "life" is synonymous with Trump). Really high. Like, totally blitzed.
Old 15th May 2018, 06:36 AM   #260
Cl1mh4224rd
Philosopher

Maybe we can elect Obama again after Trump...
Cl1mh4224rd is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 15th May 2018, 06:41 AM   #261
BobTheCoward
Banned

Not at all. Trump was less popular, it was demonstrated in the polls, and the polls nailed the result at the voting booths.

No matter how you slice it, his politics are less popular than the side that lost.
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 15th May 2018, 06:48 AM   #262
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

WRT the deal where China is funding a Trump project in Indonesia to the tune of half-a-billion dollars, and Trump is using government resorces to bail out a Chinese firm which makes devices that spy on American citizens:

https://twitter.com/JoyceWhiteVance/...71702740344833

Quote:
This deal has all the hallmarks of a quid pro quo. All of them.
https://twitter.com/waltshaub/status/996374702020014080

Quote:
Just a reminder that the bribery law (18 U.S.C. § 201) is still one of the few ethics laws that applies to the president, and ordering a cabinet agency to take action is one of the few things that would still qualify as an “official act” after the Supreme Court gutted the law.
Old 15th May 2018, 06:55 AM   #263
BobTheCoward
Banned

Originally Posted by Squeegee Beckenheim View Post
WRT the deal where China is funding a Trump project in Indonesia to the tune of half-a-billion dollars, and Trump is using government resorces to bail out a Chinese firm which makes devices that spy on American citizens:

https://twitter.com/JoyceWhiteVance/...71702740344833

https://twitter.com/waltshaub/status/996374702020014080
Except you don't have evidence. You have a quid, and a quo, but you need some sort of pro that actually links the two events.
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 15th May 2018, 07:47 AM   #264
lomiller
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Shalamar View Post
The answer will be: 'He's upsetting the loser Libs! ell oh ell!'
Who’s he really upsetting? He makes right wing ideology so embarrassing that conservatives run away from any thread he participates in. IMO he’s arguably the most effective counter argument against right wing dogma we have at these forums.
Old 15th May 2018, 08:51 AM   #265
Shalamar
Dark Lord of the JREF

Originally Posted by lomiller View Post
Who’s he really upsetting? He makes right wing ideology so embarrassing that conservatives run away from any thread he participates in. IMO he’s arguably the most effective counter argument against right wing dogma we have at these forums.
Likely true. I have a pet hypothesis that he's actually a hard left-winger pretending to be an alt-rightest to make them look bad.

Shalamar is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 15th May 2018, 09:17 AM   #266
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Quote:
Thanks to Trump, the U.S. is approaching a situation where it has:

- The lack of financial regulations that occurred prior to the 2007/2008 recession. (http://thehill.com/policy/finance/36...frank-overhaul)

- Protectionist trade policies similar to those that helped deepen/extend the great depression (https://www.marketplace.org/2017/08/...us-legislation)

- Increased government debt (thanks mostly to a tax cut which favors the wealthy) will require more borrowing (crowding out private investments) and reduce the flexibility that the government may have in dealing with any financial emergencies in the future.

What could possibly go wrong?

I'm Mary Poppins Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 15th May 2018, 09:32 AM   #267
logger
Banned

Originally Posted by BobTheCoward View Post
Not at all. Trump was less popular, it was demonstrated in the polls, and the polls nailed the result at the voting booths.

No matter how you slice it, his politics are less popular than the side that lost.
Lol

SCOTUS, majority of governorships, majority of legislatures. Yeah the left is so popular.
Old 15th May 2018, 09:34 AM   #268
logger
Banned

Likely true. I have a pet hypothesis that he's actually a hard left-winger pretending to be an alt-rightest to make them look bad.
More personal attacks.
Old 15th May 2018, 09:37 AM   #269
Shalamar
Dark Lord of the JREF

More personal attacks.
Do you need a safe space?

Old 15th May 2018, 09:39 AM   #270
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Originally Posted by Cl1mh4224rd View Post
Maybe we can elect Obama again after Trump...
We should, just so we can pretend that the Trump presidency was just a case of mass hallucination.
Maybe Obama can run with a serious VP and step down right after the election.
Old 15th May 2018, 09:39 AM   #271
lomiller
Penultimate Amazing

More personal attacks.
I don’t understand how you get “personal attack” out of that exchange.
Old 15th May 2018, 09:45 AM   #272
Shalamar
Dark Lord of the JREF

Shall we start claiming that comments of 'loser libs' are personal attacks?

Old 15th May 2018, 09:50 AM   #273
logger
Banned

Address the argument not the arguer?
Old 15th May 2018, 10:03 AM   #274
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

By agreeing to help ZTE, Trump has capitulated to one of China's demands for no US gain before the next round of negotiations even takes place
Old 15th May 2018, 10:19 AM   #275
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

The art of the deal folks, give them everything they want and maybe they will be nice to us. And make sure you get your bribe covered through other companies.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 15th May 2018, 10:26 AM   #276
lomiller
Penultimate Amazing

Address the argument not the arguer?
Non sequitur. I asked how you got an attack out of that exchange.

BTW the "argument" is your oft stated claim that you are just trolling to "make liberals angry". My response, again, is that I don't care because you consistently make the conservative side look bad.

FWIW, I don't actual believe you are trolling. Rather I think you are saying what you really believe but think you can a pass on it being challenged if you are "joking". Again, though, I don't really care because you're posts are net benefit to my positions.
Old 15th May 2018, 10:47 AM   #277
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Worst Deal Maker Ever.
Even a number of usually supportive Republicans are criticizing Trump for this.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 15th May 2018, 10:48 AM   #278
BobTheCoward
Banned

Lol

SCOTUS, majority of governorships, majority of legislatures. Yeah the left is so popular.
If you put 40 million people in one state, and less than a million in two states, one party being popular in those two latter states doesn't mean they are more popular.
Old 15th May 2018, 02:48 PM   #279
logger
Banned

Originally Posted by BobTheCoward View Post
If you put 40 million people in one state, and less than a million in two states, one party being popular in those two latter states doesn't mean they are more popular.
But of course the numbers nationwide are not that far off. I have a better idea, let that one state become a country and leave the rest of us alone.
Old 15th May 2018, 02:54 PM   #280
Minoosh
Penultimate Amazing

If only we could be nicer to the Palestinians?
Worth a shot.

As far as I can tell you are attributing a thought to logger that not only was speculation, you are thinking that the "he" in that speculative post referred to logger himself. Which I don't think it did; it referred to Trump.

Do you need a safe space?
I want this forum to be a safe space. I often don't like what logger says either, but disparaging "libs lol" or "conservatives" is acceptable, while making the discourse about an arguer is not acceptable. IMO this shows imperfect comprehension of the spirit of the forum rules. (Enough weasel words there for ya ?) The rules make this forum different than the continual "yer an idiot, no yer an idiot" back and forth on some other websites.
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Closed Thread

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics