IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags !MOD BOX WARNING! , donald trump , Trump administration , Trump controversies

Closed Thread
Old 15th May 2018, 02:55 PM   #281
logger
Banned

Originally Posted by lomiller View Post
Non sequitur. I asked how you got an attack out of that exchange.

BTW the "argument" is your oft stated claim that you are just trolling to "make liberals angry". My response, again, is that I don't care because you consistently make the conservative side look bad.

FWIW, I don't actual believe you are trolling. Rather I think you are saying what you really believe but think you can a pass on it being challenged if you are "joking". Again, though, I don't really care because you're posts are net benefit to my positions.
I wouldn’t expect you to think any other way. One would think if I was doing so badly you would celebrate it. I’m also not under the elusion that I’m some super smart fellow. There are several conservatives who can argue it much better then I. But again, I wouldn’t expect you to think any other way towards me. And that doesn’t bother me in the least as long as you don’t make things personal, because I can’t make it personal.
logger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 15th May 2018, 03:12 PM   #282
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Squeegee Beckenheim View Post
Why would he want something for the US in exchange? He got something for Trump.

NYT: Trump Indonesia Real Estate Project Gets Chinese Government Ally
Quote:
HONG KONG — The Trump Organization’s partner in a lavish Indonesian development project boasting a six-star hotel and golf course with President Trump’s name has brought on a new ally: a Chinese state-owned company.

The Indonesian partner, the MNC Group, said Tuesday that it had struck a deal with an arm of Metallurgical Corporation of China, a state-owned construction company, to build a theme park next door to the planned Trump properties. ...

Also the deal between the Chinese state-owned company, M.C.C., and the Indonesian developer falls under the umbrella of China’s Belt and Road Initiative, an ambitious plan to spread the country’s money and influence around the world by financing infrastructure and other projects. The initiative is a high priority for President Xi Jinping.

I don't get this bit given the reporter says right there what the quid pro quo was. The US did not get something in return, Trump did.
Quote:
There isn’t any evidence that the agreement with the construction company was intended to sway the Trump administration on any matters. Still, Mr. Trump has threatened China with tariffs on $150 billion in Chinese-made goods if it doesn’t back away from plans to use state support to finance a new generation of high-tech industries.

And China has protested Washington’s punitive measures against ZTE, a Chinese telecommunications company, that threaten to deprive it of badly needed American-made microchips, software and other equipment. On Sunday, in a surprise reversal, Mr. Trump said he had directed the Commerce Department to resolve the issue to save Chinese jobs.

I don't think Trump can resist:

House Dem: Money at the heart of Trump’s decisions on China, Russia, Turkey
Skeptic Ginger is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 15th May 2018, 03:18 PM   #283
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Delete. Off topic.

"Ninety percent of the politicians give the other ten percent a bad reputation."

Last edited by quadraginta; 15th May 2018 at 03:22 PM.
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 15th May 2018, 03:22 PM   #284
Toontown
Philosopher

These are the perpetrators of Trumpism. It's not a pretty picture.

https://medium.com/bigger-picture/th...s-f463670578b2

Last edited by Toontown; 15th May 2018 at 03:24 PM.
Toontown is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 15th May 2018, 03:25 PM   #285
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Toontown View Post
These are the perpetrators of Trumpism. It's not a pretty picture.

https://medium.com/bigger-picture/th...s-f463670578b2
From the link:
Quote:
3. Ignorant Dads
Examples: My dad, your dad

Other gems from the list of "13 types of Trump supporters, with helpful examples for each category":
Quote:
7. Slogan Suckers
Example: Most people on Facebook

9. Frat D-Bags
Example: That one kid I met at a bar last year who high-fived a guy wearing a MAGA hat

11. Sexists
Example: Men

Last edited by Skeptic Ginger; 15th May 2018 at 03:28 PM.
Skeptic Ginger is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 15th May 2018, 03:38 PM   #286
Matthew Best
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by logger View Post
I’m also not under the elusion that I’m some super smart fellow.
To prove it, it's actually "illusion".
Matthew Best is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 15th May 2018, 03:47 PM   #287
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Matthew Best View Post
There was no elusion. There never was any elusion.
Old 15th May 2018, 03:48 PM   #288
BobTheCoward
Banned

But of course the numbers nationwide are not that far off. I have a better idea, let that one state become a country and leave the rest of us alone.
They are sufficiently far apart (and gerrymandered) that a count of governors and legislatures as a measure of popularity is stupid.... especially compared to much better measures of popularity.
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 15th May 2018, 04:43 PM   #289
logger
Banned

Originally Posted by Matthew Best View Post
Well you got me on that one.
logger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 15th May 2018, 05:30 PM   #290
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

The election proves it. It’s why hildabeast is getting drunk on Chardonnay.
Trump lost the popular vote.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 15th May 2018, 05:44 PM   #291
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
Trump lost the popular vote.
But that's FAKE NEWS!

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 15th May 2018, 05:46 PM   #292
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Minoosh View Post
Worth a shot.

As far as I can tell you are attributing a thought to logger that not only was speculation, you are thinking that the "he" in that speculative post referred to logger himself. Which I don't think it did; it referred to Trump.

I want this forum to be a safe space. I often don't like what logger says either, but disparaging "libs lol" or "conservatives" is acceptable, while making the discourse about an arguer is not acceptable. IMO this shows imperfect comprehension of the spirit of the forum rules. (Enough weasel words there for ya ?) The rules make this forum different than the continual "yer an idiot, no yer an idiot" back and forth on some other websites.
I think the term "Troll" comes into play.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 15th May 2018, 09:45 PM   #293
lomiller
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Minoosh View Post

As far as I can tell you are attributing a thought to logger that not only was speculation, you are thinking that the "he" in that speculative post referred to logger himself. Which I don't think it did; it referred to Trump.
Logger has stated on several occasions that the primary goal of his posting is to "upset liberals" or words to that effect and that he doesn't even believe everything he posts.

Last edited by lomiller; 15th May 2018 at 09:47 PM.
lomiller is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 16th May 2018, 01:11 AM   #294
Minoosh
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
I think the term "Troll" comes into play.
I hear you.

Logger has stated on several occasions that the primary goal of his posting is to "upset liberals" or words to that effect and that he doesn't even believe everything he posts.
I know. Fine line. Slippery slope. Not sarcastic. I mean it.
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 16th May 2018, 03:11 AM   #295
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

It's being reported that Michael Cohen told a Quatari official in a meeting at Trump Tower weeks after the election that he had to send "millions of dollars" to Trump family members
Old 16th May 2018, 03:14 AM   #296
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Bolton eliminates top cybersecurity role
Old 16th May 2018, 03:44 AM   #297
newyorkguy
Penultimate Amazing

The Dunce during the campaign:
Quote:
“We can’t continue to allow China to rape our country, and that’s what they’re doing,” he said during one campaign rally.
Now he Tweets:
Quote:
@realDonaldTrump:
President Xi of China, and I, are working together to give massive Chinese phone company, ZTE, a way to get back into business, fast. Too many jobs in China lost. Commerce Department has been instructed to get it done!
11:01 AM - May 13, 2018
Is Dumpster seriously that stupid? He didn't know winning trade wars means the other side loses jobs?
newyorkguy is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 16th May 2018, 04:09 AM   #298
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by newyorkguy View Post
Is Dumpster seriously that stupid? He didn't know winning trade wars means the other side loses jobs?
He literally doesn't care one way or another, all he wants is attention, praise and money.
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 16th May 2018, 04:22 AM   #299
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/sta...11861549608960

Quote:
House Democrats have unveiled a bill to create a new White House cyber office led by a Senate-confirmed director following John Bolton's move to eliminate the top cyber policy post. https://bit.ly/2k1qCBk
Old 16th May 2018, 05:55 AM   #300
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

It's being reported that there are regular sweeps of the White House for non-government issued phones, in an effort to prevent leaks
Old 16th May 2018, 06:30 AM   #301
phiwum
Penultimate Amazing

It would be nice if you said who was reporting these stories, rather than just "it's being reported". I tend to skip, say, Daily Mail stories, since I understand that they don't have a good reputation.
phiwum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 16th May 2018, 06:58 AM   #302
Zambo
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by phiwum View Post
It would be nice if you said who was reporting these stories, rather than just "it's being reported". I tend to skip, say, Daily Mail stories, since I understand that they don't have a good reputation.
Maybe true about the Daily Mail. But who says "they don't have a good reputation". Can you expand on that statement? Is it a tabloid thing?
Zambo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 16th May 2018, 07:05 AM   #303
TheSupermeerkat
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Zambo View Post
Maybe true about the Daily Mail. But who says "they don't have a good reputation". Can you expand on that statement? Is it a tabloid thing?

In the UK the Daily Mail is generally regarded as a right wing tabloid - it is generally racist and sexist, overtly xenophobic to the EU, obsessed with the Royal Family and fiercely supportive of Brexit. It has a tendency towards anti science and education.

It’s owner is a right wing, tax avoiding nut with string anti democratic ideas that regularly find their way into the papers articles.
TheSupermeerkat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 16th May 2018, 07:07 AM   #304
The_Animus
Illuminator

https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2018...ng-water-study

Quote:
Politico reports that several months ago, a H.H.S. unit called the Agency for Toxic Substances and Disease Registry (A.T.S.D.R.) was all set to publish a federal study showing that a certain class of toxic chemicals linked to thyroid defects, problems in pregnancy, and certain cancers poses a risk to humans even at low levels of exposure. According to the report, the chemicals are present at dangerous levels near military bases, chemical plants, and other sites in multiple states. But when the White House got wind of the report, it worried that revealing its findings would freak people out and put pressure on the E.P.A. and Department of Defense.
The_Animus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 16th May 2018, 07:33 AM   #305
lomiller
Penultimate Amazing

Trump is clearly experienced in these matters due to problems at his hotels and other buildings where they had problems with bugs because they don’t sweep often enough.
Old 16th May 2018, 07:37 AM   #306
KDLarsen
Philosopher

Does that include Trump's own phone? I was under the impression that Kelly had lost that fight, resulting in late-night phonecalls between Trump and Sean Hannity.
KDLarsen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 16th May 2018, 07:37 AM   #307
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Originally Posted by The_Animus View Post
The public must be protected from toxic knowledge!
Old 16th May 2018, 07:55 AM   #308
Andy_Ross
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Zambo View Post
They invent stories and print lies
Andy_Ross is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 16th May 2018, 08:02 AM   #309
Zambo
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
They invent stories and print lies
Thank you. Got it.
Zambo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 16th May 2018, 08:07 AM   #310
beren
Graduate Poster

Slightly on-topic as to the daily mail discussion:

https://twitter.com/NateSilver538
Originally Posted by Nate Silver
I'm still trying to figure out why all these Cohen-related scoops are coming from "unconventional" sources like the Daily Mail and Avenatti himself rather than the likes of WaPo and NYT.
Old 16th May 2018, 08:35 AM   #311
Zambo
Critical Thinker

Read the post. The link was CNN it was just the poster who worried it could be the Daily Mail if he clicked. I think he did not click.
Old 16th May 2018, 10:11 AM   #312
CORed
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by BobTheCoward View Post
If you put 40 million people in one state, and less than a million in two states, one party being popular in those two latter states doesn't mean they are more popular.
True. But it does mean the party popular in the two low population states gets 4 senators to the two in the high population state.
CORed is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 16th May 2018, 10:19 AM   #313
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Trump's financial disclosure report has been released
Old 16th May 2018, 10:23 AM   #314
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Is there a TL/DR on that somewhere? I can't get past that he apparently signs with a dull Sharpie.
Old 16th May 2018, 10:48 AM   #315
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Which is why I think people need to start paying more attention to the "Don't Feed The Trolls" sign (myself included,I have taken the bait too often).

Edited by kmortis:  removed to comply with Rule 12

Robert Heinlein.

Last edited by kmortis; 17th May 2018 at 10:31 AM.
Old 16th May 2018, 10:51 AM   #316
The_Animus
Illuminator

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
The public must be protected from toxic knowledge!
Rather than announcing and fixing poisonous water in numerous states, they choose to bury the report on it. And yet this administration is so bad that this is just an insignificant blip in the news cycle.
The_Animus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 16th May 2018, 11:56 AM   #317
Stacko
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
Is there a TL/DR on that somewhere? I can't get past that he apparently signs with a dull Sharpie.
This NYT article downplays it but the first big reveal is essentially a criminal referral of a sitting president by his own OGE appointee.

Quote:
President Trump’s financial disclosure, released on Wednesday, revealed for the first time that he paid more than $100,000 to his personal attorney, Michael D. Cohen, as reimbursement for payment to a third-party.

The disclosure, released by the Office of Government Ethics, did not specify the purpose of the payment. However, Mr. Cohen has paid $130,000 to an adult film actress, Stephanie Clifford, who has claimed she had an affair with Mr. Trump.

Mr. Cohen has said he made the payment to keep the actress, who goes by the stage name Stormy Daniels, from going public before the 2016 election with her story about an affair with Mr. Trump.

Yet a letter accompanying the report sent to Rod J. Rosenstein, the deputy attorney general, from the government ethics office’s acting director, David J. Apol, said that the Office of Government Ethics had determined “the payment made by Mr. Cohen is required to be reported as a liability.”
ETA: Here's a copy of the letter to Rod Rosenstein.

Last edited by Stacko; 16th May 2018 at 12:00 PM.
Stacko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 16th May 2018, 12:01 PM   #318
Oystein
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by phiwum View Post
Seconded, for further reasons. It's simply good form all around to name source media. It would probably increase the number of people clicking your links.
Old 16th May 2018, 12:15 PM   #319
TheL8Elvis
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Stacko View Post
Worth repeating.
Old 16th May 2018, 12:24 PM   #320
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Stacko View Post
But... but... Hillary's emails!

Seriously, not only is it possible evidence of a crime, but the disclosure contradicts Trump's statement on the plane to the reporters that he didn't know where the money came from. It also contradicts Cohen when he claims he hadn't been reimbursed. (And ironically Guilliani was right, although that may have been by accident.) So many lies. Hard to keep track of them.

I'm Mary Poppins Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Closed Thread

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics