IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags !MOD BOX WARNING! , donald trump , Trump administration , Trump controversies

Closed Thread
Old 16th May 2018, 12:31 PM   #321
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by phiwum View Post
It would be nice if you said who was reporting these stories, rather than just "it's being reported". I tend to skip, say, Daily Mail stories, since I understand that they don't have a good reputation.
Have any of Squeege's links been to the Daily Mail?

None that's I've clicked on.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 16th May 2018, 12:34 PM   #322
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by beren View Post
Slightly on-topic as to the daily mail discussion:

https://twitter.com/NateSilver538
Avenatti has the scoop. Is Silver implying he's simply lying? It's not like Avenatti hasn't backed his claims up.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 16th May 2018, 12:38 PM   #323
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by Squeegee Beckenheim View Post

Because obviously no one would ever be able to talk to a reporter about anything that happened in the White House unless they had their personal phone right there with them at all times.

To highlight the idiocy even more, from the article;
Quote:
Officials now either leave their personal devices in their cars, or, when they arrive for work each morning, deposit them in lockers that have been installed at West Wing entrances. Each locker has a key, which officials said take a little jiggling to remove. The staffer puts their phone in the locker, locks it and hangs on to the key until the end of the day when it's time to reclaim their device.
Sources said it's common to find several staffers huddled around the lockers throughout the day, perusing their neglected messages. The lockers buzz and chirp constantly from 6 a.m. to 8 p.m. Monday through Friday

Because, of course, they couldn't possibly be doing anything but checking their messages. Not even, for example, answering some of them.

And to think, Bolton has gotten rid of their cyber security experts. I guess because they don't need any professional advice.

"Ninety percent of the politicians give the other ten percent a bad reputation."
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 16th May 2018, 12:44 PM   #324
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by Oystein View Post
It would be nice if you said who was reporting these stories, rather than just "it's being reported". I tend to skip, say, Daily Mail stories, since I understand that they don't have a good reputation.
Seconded, for further reasons. It's simply good form all around to name source media. It would probably increase the number of people clicking your links.

Most modern browsers make it fairly straightforward to see the URL of any link, usually by something as simple as hovering the cursor over it.

This may not be useful for every link, since some might be shortened with one such service or another, but the ones which Squeegee posts are nearly always direct. It is easy to see the source without needing to click to activate the link.

"Ninety percent of the politicians give the other ten percent a bad reputation."
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 16th May 2018, 12:50 PM   #325
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by LSSBB View Post
There was a time when you could be a loyal American and support Trump?

At least if you realized what Trump was, and were not just buying the image he presented.
There was a time when you could credibly claim you didn't know he was a traitor who whored himself to our adversaries.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 16th May 2018, 12:53 PM   #326
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Are they sweeping people's cars and apartments for burner phones?
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 16th May 2018, 01:41 PM   #327
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
Are they sweeping people's cars and apartments for burner phones?

Not quite.

I can tell you didn't read the article.

Old 16th May 2018, 02:35 PM   #328
phiwum
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Zambo View Post
Read the post. The link was CNN it was just the poster who worried it could be the Daily Mail if he clicked. I think he did not click.
No, I knew the post to which I was responding was CNN. Earlier today, Squeegee posted a link to Daily Mail.

If I'm using my laptop, as I am today, it's not a big deal, since I can mouseover and see the link. On my phone, I can't do that.

None of this is to criticize Squeegee's posts, but merely to make a request regarding his presentation.
phiwum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 16th May 2018, 02:53 PM   #329
Cl1mh4224rd
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
Have any of Squeege's links been to the Daily Mail?

None that's I've clicked on.

Perhaps there are people out there who have a severe allergy to The Daily Mail's website. They simply can't take the risk of following a link for fear of ending up in the hospital, or dead. Or perhaps they're superstition, like those people who believe that cameras steal souls. They may fear that even the slightest exposure to The Daily Mail's website will suck away their intellect.

Last edited by Cl1mh4224rd; 16th May 2018 at 02:55 PM.
Cl1mh4224rd is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 16th May 2018, 03:11 PM   #330
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Cl1mh4224rd View Post
Perhaps there are people out there who have a severe allergy to The Daily Mail's website. They simply can't take the risk of following a link for fear of ending up in the hospital, or dead. Or perhaps they're superstition, like those people who believe that cameras steal souls. They may fear that even the slightest exposure to The Daily Mail's website will suck away their intellect.
I feel the same way about FoxNews.
Old 16th May 2018, 05:08 PM   #331
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

According to reports they are from multiple members of the Trump Administration.
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 16th May 2018, 05:21 PM   #332
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by quadraginta View Post
Not quite.

I can tell you didn't read the article.
I did read the article. I just don't why what they are doing is going to stop leaks. The White House response is a joke.
Old 16th May 2018, 05:28 PM   #333
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by a_unique_person View Post
According to reports they are from multiple members of the Trump Administration.
This I find encouraging. For one, Trump's management style of encouraging competition in his staff motivates leaks. I don't know how office politics is played in the New York real estate business but in DC, the weapon in that war is the leak and the ammunition is information. Secondly, I'm encouraged that a member for the Trump staff would make this particular leak. The American people have a right to know this was said I'm glad there are people on the staff who recognize they have a duty to the country that comes before president or party. With thid president, subverting him is an act of patriotism.

I doubt the motivation was other than to back-stab a competitor but in until proven wrong, I'm willing to allow for the possibility that there is a loyal American on the Trump staff, working toward his failure.
Old 16th May 2018, 06:59 PM   #334
Fast Eddie B
Philosopher

I’m hardly the first to make note of it, but...

“We’ll see what happens”.

These words, or similar phrases, used with sickening regularity by the President, contain no real meaning. In response to a question, they’re a non-answer, and a lazy one at that.

Asked today about whether he thought the meeting with Kim Jong Un was still likely, that was the answer, said a handful of times almost back to back. “We’ll see. We’ll see. We’ll see what happens.”

https://youtu.be/ReqM1Gd_nMo

OF COURSE WE’LL SEE WHAT HAPPENS (unless we die first, I guess).

Anyway, I find it more and more infuriating - how about just answering the damn question!

Last edited by Fast Eddie B; 16th May 2018 at 07:37 PM.
Fast Eddie B is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 16th May 2018, 07:21 PM   #335
Stacko
Penultimate Amazing

This has been a crazy news day even for this scandal plagued presidency.
Today (partial):
• Senate Judiciary doc dump
• Senate Intel Rs split from House Intel Rs
• Trump admits reimbursing Cohen
• OGE refers sitting president to DOJ for filing false financials
• NYT revises FBI-Trump-Russia reporting
• Missing reports at FinCEN, whistleblower
It's weird to be inured to this level of scandal because it's become perpetual.
Stacko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 17th May 2018, 03:29 AM   #336
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

The real Cohen story is coming. I'm willing to bet that his shell consulting company was a pass through to the Trump organization. Cohen was probably taking a commission on selling access to Trump. It's hard to miss the fact that Qatar got sold down the river by Trump and they declined to pay.
Old 17th May 2018, 04:12 AM   #337
Oystein
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by quadraginta View Post
Most modern browsers make it fairly straightforward to see the URL of any link, usually by something as simple as hovering the cursor over it.

This may not be useful for every link, since some might be shortened with one such service or another, but the ones which Squeegee posts are nearly always direct. It is easy to see the source without needing to click to activate the link.
Tapatalk on my phone doesn't offer that, as far as I am aware
Old 17th May 2018, 07:31 AM   #338
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

Question: Did Eric Trump play a role in Daddy's campaign? We read about Junior's extensive activities, but never Eric. Is he really as dumb as SNL portrays him?
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 17th May 2018, 07:54 AM   #339
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Chris Wray says he is "deeply concerned" about ZTE
Old 17th May 2018, 08:00 AM   #340
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

We have to make sure they keep their jobs!
Old 17th May 2018, 08:24 AM   #341
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

I want to hear any Trumpette try to defend this nonsense. Starting with the concern that too many jobs are being lost IN CHINA! Seriously? You are concerned about unemployment in China? That's something that the "America First" crowd is worried about? Saving a Chinese telephone company is going to Make America Great Again?

And then there is the whole reason why ZTE is a problem: they have violated sanctions by doing business with Iran and North Korea. You're ok with that? You think we need to bail out a company in business with our enemies? I'm not even talking about "doing business with them," Trump thinks we should bail them out of their business failings. Obama was criticized for Bush's bailout of the banks and car manufacturers in the US, but bailing out a foreign company who does business with our enemies is acceptable?

I don't want to hear anything about liberals or Hillary Clinton. Try to explain why Trump's actions here are acceptable to you in any way.

I mean, we know why it was acceptable to him, because he got a half a billion dollar infusion into a business project. But why does that make it acceptable to YOU?
Gunter Haas, the 'leading British expert,' was a graphologist who advised couples, based on their handwriting characteristics, if they were compatible for marriage. I would submit that couples idiotic enough to do this are probably quite suitable for each other. It's nice when stupid people find love. - Ludovic Kennedy
pgwenthold is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 17th May 2018, 08:49 AM   #342
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by pgwenthold View Post
And then there is the whole reason why ZTE is a problem: they have violated sanctions by doing business with Iran and North Korea. You're ok with that? You think we need to bail out a company in business with our enemies? I'm not even talking about "doing business with them," Trump thinks we should bail them out of their business failings. Obama was criticized for Bush's bailout of the banks and car manufacturers in the US, but bailing out a foreign company who does business with our enemies is acceptable?
Well, that and the fact that the Chinese government uses their products to spy on the US
Old 17th May 2018, 09:05 AM   #343
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

In the descriptions I have seen, it is said that the Chinese COULD use these types of products to spy on the US, and since I wasn't aware of any specific examples of this exact phone being used that way, I figured I'd stick with the things that are simple, undisputed facts, like the fact that they are a Chinese company and that they violated sanctions by selling to Iran and North Korea. But, yeah, that, too.
Gunter Haas, the 'leading British expert,' was a graphologist who advised couples, based on their handwriting characteristics, if they were compatible for marriage. I would submit that couples idiotic enough to do this are probably quite suitable for each other. It's nice when stupid people find love. - Ludovic Kennedy
pgwenthold is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 17th May 2018, 09:20 AM   #344
Arcade22
Philosopher

It's funny. China doesn't care about the jobs at ZTE. It's the strategic vulnerability of not being able to produce the parts that ZTE needs, or purchase them from somewhere else.

America doesn't like that China is subsidizing and expanding its high-tech industry (the "made in China 2035" plan) and are negotiating with them to stop doing that (good luck!), but this showcases exactly why the Chinese want to become far more self-reliant when it comes to high-tech components and parts that are largely only available from American owned companies.

The Chinese believe that military conflict with the US is, within the near-future (2020-2050), a serious possibility and in the event it would definitively not want to be unable to build and repair its military units just because its embargoed by the US.

And no, Cuba is not a brutal and corrupt dictatorship, and it's definitely less so than Sweden. - dann
Arcade22 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 17th May 2018, 10:38 AM   #345
Andy_Ross
Penultimate Amazing

Trump: Immigrants are animals! (thinks “I bet that worked to change people’s minds. Hang on, my mother and two wives were immigrants!)
Andy_Ross is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 17th May 2018, 11:40 AM   #346
Regnad Kcin
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by pgwenthold View Post
I want to hear any Trumpette try to defend this nonsense. Starting with the concern that too many jobs are being lost IN CHINA! Seriously? You are concerned about unemployment in China? That's something that the "America First" crowd is worried about? Saving a Chinese telephone company is going to Make America Great Again?

I don't want to hear anything about liberals or Hillary Clinton. Try to explain why Trump's actions here are acceptable to you in any way.

I mean, we know why it was acceptable to him, because he got a half a billion dollar infusion into a business project. But why does that make it acceptable to YOU?
Abortions, brown people, liberals.
Old 17th May 2018, 11:42 AM   #347
Shalamar
Dark Lord of the JREF

Originally Posted by Regnad Kcin View Post
Abortions, brown people, liberals.
You forgot the 'lol'.

"The truth is out there. But the lies are inside your head."
Shalamar is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 17th May 2018, 11:56 AM   #348
Mumbles
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Trump: Immigrants are animals! (thinks “I bet that worked to change people’s minds. Hang on, my mother and two wives were immigrants!)
Oh, please, would the president ever conflate ordinary Latinx immigrants with drugs or with rapi-

Originally Posted by Dolt 45
They're bringing drugs! They're bringing crime! They're rapists!
Mumbles is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 17th May 2018, 12:01 PM   #349
Andy_Ross
Penultimate Amazing

Sanders praises Trump for describing people as ‘animals’ in immigration discussion
According to the White House, Trump's problem was "the term that the president used" wasn't "strong enough."

https://thinkprogress.org/sanders-ms...-4248f8d05dbf/
Andy_Ross is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 17th May 2018, 12:09 PM   #350
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Sanders praises Trump for describing people as ‘animals’ in immigration discussion
According to the White House, Trump's problem was "the term that the president used" wasn't "strong enough."

https://thinkprogress.org/sanders-ms...-4248f8d05dbf/
So the appropriate term would have been plant, fungi or mineral?
Old 17th May 2018, 12:19 PM   #351
BobTheCoward
Banned

The ZTE issue reminds me of Trump Taj Mahal. His casino ownership was facing death. He received an illegal loan. The commission chickened out on an equal punishment because they couldn't bring themselves to kill it.

Punishments hurt. Enforcement often involves some level of self inflicted pain. But every time the US is like a parent that issues empty threats of grounding because they want to go out rather than enforce it.
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 17th May 2018, 02:10 PM   #352
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

And yet more legal troubles for Trump (well, not necessarily new ones, but an old one that seems to keep hanging on)....

From: https://www.cnn.com/2018/05/17/polit...vos/index.html
A New York appeals court has denied a motion by President Donald Trump's attorney to stay the Summer Zervos defamation case pending appeal, meaning the gathering of evidence known as "discovery" can move forward...

The court case is a defamation lawsuit against Trump based on Trump calling Zervos a "liar" after she accused him of sexual misconduct. The appeal is partly based on whether a president can be subject to a lawsuit in state court (although I kind of figured that was resolved when Bill Clinton was sued.)

Personally I don't think much will come of the defamation lawsuit itself. (I figure these things are probably hard to prove in the court of law.) But, I hope it keeps going forward for a few reasons:

- Its a hassle to Trump, and given all the harm that he's already caused others, a little Schadenfreude is in order.

- There will be a discovery phase, which means that even more of the president's misdeeds will be dragged into the spotlight. (Just like with Stormy Daniels... the issue of a payment to a porn star might have been a minor thing, but its spiraled into issues of improper campaign reporting, mysterious shell accounts and influence peddling, etc.)

- There is a chance (slim but it exists) that Trump will end up being deposed, and given his tendency to lie, he will be subject to penalties for perjury

I'm Mary Poppins Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 17th May 2018, 02:17 PM   #353
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

This makes me happy. One of the videos that may come out is the one where Trump supposedly used the "n" word. This woman is a true patriot.
Old 17th May 2018, 04:23 PM   #354
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

This makes me happy. One of the videos that may come out is the one where Trump supposedly used the "n" word. This woman is a true patriot.
You think that would make any difference to his core supporters, most of whom probably spent eight years bitching about "That (N Word) in the White House"

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 17th May 2018, 04:26 PM   #355
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
You think that would make any difference to his core supporters, most of whom probably spent eight years bitching about "That (N Word) in the White House"
Yep, it just shows how much he represents them.
Old 17th May 2018, 05:29 PM   #356
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
There's a core of Trump supporters who are the products of incest or the unintended byproducts of homosexual congress. Those unthinking, gelatinous masses won't be swayed and aren't good enough to be on the side of loyal Americans anyway. There are also those who voted for the Trump knowing he was a wet spot on a sheet with some pubic hair stuck to it that got up one day and got into the real estate business but voted for him anyway. The second group, for whatever reason decided Clinton was the worst of the two evils. The key vote in 2020 will be those who thought Trump was a filthy wet-spot but felt Clinton was worse.
Old 17th May 2018, 06:13 PM   #357
phiwum
Penultimate Amazing

There's a core of Trump supporters who are the products of incest or the unintended byproducts of homosexual congress. Those unthinking, gelatinous masses won't be swayed and aren't good enough to be on the side of loyal Americans anyway. There are also those who voted for the Trump knowing he was a wet spot on a sheet with some pubic hair stuck to it that got up one day and got into the real estate business but voted for him anyway. The second group, for whatever reason decided Clinton was the worst of the two evils. The key vote in 2020 will be those who thought Trump was a filthy wet-spot but felt Clinton was worse.
Most of the second camp bought into that opinion because they are dyed in the wool Republicans. That's how it is in my family. They bought that Hillary was worse because they were attuned to the Republican narrative, even though most of them dislike Trump (my folks think that he was chosen by God, like Saul. I guess God was asleep the last two elections. )

As far as the purple states go, maybe you are right. We'll see.
phiwum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 17th May 2018, 06:50 PM   #358
Fast Eddie B
Philosopher

Not sure what you think such vulgar language accomplishes.

Just speaking for myself, it diminishes whatever actual arguments about Trump and his supporters you may be trying to make.
Fast Eddie B is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 17th May 2018, 10:27 PM   #359
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

If you can think of a better way to dehumanize someone I'm open to suggestions.
Old 18th May 2018, 12:39 AM   #360
TofuFighter
Illuminator

I must say, 'the unintended byproduct of homosexual congress' part raised my eyebrow. I never really think of Trump supporters in terms of fabulousness.

Craig4, your feelings towards Trump, his supporters and what he's doing are understandable, but it does seem to me that they're over the line of what's reasonable and/or healthy. Don't let it consume you.
TofuFighter is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Closed Thread

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics